MMA GSD for April: The Countdown to GSP Beating a Dead Horse

I fucking hate Daley, and I respect Diaz. I hate Daley's attitude, and I love Diaz's. Hopefully Daley throws a sucker punch at Diaz so he can get dropped like the bitch he is.

Got a copy of UFC Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights. Starting it now. Let's see how much I can get through in one sitting...

Got a copy of UFC Ultimate 100 Greatest Fights. Starting it now. Let's see how much I can get through in one sitting...

I just got the same set a few weeks ago. I'm halfway through it, and the first half was simply awesome. I mean, you'll get some fights that you'll just scratch your head and go "Why is this on here?", but then you'll get a ton of great fights. Shit the first fight on there at number 100 is freaking AWESOME and I was blown away that it was only number 100, should have been much higher.

Awesome set. I should crack back into that bad boy tonight once my buddy gets here with the beer. I'm sure he'll dig Lesnar vs. Couture, which is what I'm on now.

Anyone else want to chime in on our suggestions for the MMA forum? I'm going to take silence as approval.

Well silence can be a disapproval. Who's "our"? There's a reason the fucking tidbits thread is there. To PREVENT CLUTTER

Leave it the fuck alone... how about that. I don't typically drunkpost but its fine the way it is.

The system isn't broken. It doesn't need fixing.

Well silence can be a disapproval. Who's "our"? There's a reason the fucking tidbits thread is there. To PREVENT CLUTTER

Leave it the fuck alone... how about that. I don't typically drunkpost but its fine the way it is.

The system isn't broken. It doesn't need fixing.

Yes, because sifting through 47 pages of news that pertains to EVERY SINGLE MMA organization out there isn't clutter at all. You're right, you clearly thought that through.

"Our" was JMT, Dave, and myself. Three people think there are some valid suggestions. Jeff didn't want to just make some changes without asking for your guy's input.

Streamlining something and making it more efficient doesn't imply that something is "broken" as you put it. It simply means that we were trying to come up with new and different things.

Fuck it, though. Next time I have a suggestion, I'll keep it to myself so I don't piss off your majesty.

You have to understand ITGG that Guy was the very first mod of that section and he put a LOT of work into it, and he was the main reason why I didn't want to make any changes without getting input. Without Guy here we probably wouldn't even have an MMA Section. It was first created just so he could mod it back in early 2008.

The MMA Tidbits thread was his idea and many members have stated that it's one of their favorite threads on the entire forum. Most people at WZ don't post much MMA, but I've seen many say they open up that thread whenever they see a new post and that they've been grateful to have a thread dedicated to smaller news to keep them up to date. So, yeah... it's unusual to have an MMA Section and keep a bunch of news all in one thread (I don't think any other forum does it), but it has worked very well to this point.

Anyways... forget about all that right now. Diaz vs. Daley tonight... I am so fucking PUMPED.

I think ITGG has an idea but with a small core group of posters, changing it doesnt work. Also, the Tidbits thread work because of the spam rules on the site. You need to give an opinion but it only has to be a sentence and you probably wont be infracted because this core of posters know the rules.

I think ITGG has an idea but with a small core group of posters, changing it doesnt work. Also, the Tidbits thread work because of the spam rules on the site. You need to give an opinion but it only has to be a sentence and you probably wont be infracted because this core of posters know the rules.

Numbers hit the nail on the head.

I do think there is a case to be made though for a monthly News and Tidbits thread, much like we have a monthly spam discussion thread.

I think it's fine the way it is, but whatever floats your boat guys. I don't really care.

I'm going to be watching my first SF show since Fedor got subbed. I am actually somewhat excited.

Stop arguing! I don't like seeing the MMA crew get all hostile like this, it's downright un-American.

I like the MMA section the way it is, but changes would be cool too. It would probably generate some more discussion about the lesser promotions besides UFC and Strikeforce. I want someone to talk to about Bellator besides Jon. :(

If it ain't broke don't fix it. However, I do like the idea of a monthly news and tidbits thread.

Don't know how valid my opinion is though since I'm barely around.

I just got the same set a few weeks ago. I'm halfway through it, and the first half was simply awesome. I mean, you'll get some fights that you'll just scratch your head and go "Why is this on here?", but then you'll get a ton of great fights. Shit the first fight on there at number 100 is freaking AWESOME and I was blown away that it was only number 100, should have been much higher.

I'm through parts 1 and 2 now and it's pretty sweet although I do wish they'd show the fights in their entirety. But it's great to see a bunch of fights I never knew happened because I wasn't as much of a fan at the time.

The only issue I have is their inclusion of some fights that are so one-sided or over in 30 seconds but I guess it does emphasize the dominance of some of the fighters involved in them e.g. Silva/Griffin

You have to understand ITGG that Guy was the very first mod of that section and he put a LOT of work into it, and he was the main reason why I didn't want to make any changes without getting input. Without Guy here we probably wouldn't even have an MMA Section. It was first created just so he could mod it back in early 2008.

The MMA Tidbits thread was his idea and many members have stated that it's one of their favorite threads on the entire forum. Most people at WZ don't post much MMA, but I've seen many say they open up that thread whenever they see a new post and that they've been grateful to have a thread dedicated to smaller news to keep them up to date. So, yeah... it's unusual to have an MMA Section and keep a bunch of news all in one thread (I don't think any other forum does it), but it has worked very well to this point.

Anyways... forget about all that right now. Diaz vs. Daley tonight... I am so fucking PUMPED.

I'm well aware he was the first moderator and my intentions weren't to "ruin" what he built, but rather, to make some slight changes that would, in my mind and a couple other people's mind, make things a little easier to find the news we're looking for.

My point is this, I want to post a shit ton of news so that people know EVERYTHING that is going on in the world of MMA, but if I post it in here, so many people have commented on other shit that nobody sees it. If I post it just as a thread in the MMA section, I've been bitched at because it belongs in the MMA News and Tidbits section. However, there's so many damn pages in the MMA News and Tidbits section that it gets missed when someone makes a long ass post or puts something else in there.

Having a separate forum, as xfearbefore mentioned, would allow us to sift through the news for the organizations we want to stay up on.

The idea with the new forums is so that we can just KEEP news going and you don't HAVE to reply without violating spam rules. Someone can go in there and check all the news and if they feel like commenting, they know that the onus is on them not to violate WZ rules and regulations.

As far as the MMA Lounge forum, it's dream match-ups and other off the wall things that can be discussed without violating the spam rules. This happens all the time in the wrestling sections and people aren't violated, I don't see why our small group of knowledgeable posters can't do the same.

Stop arguing! I don't like seeing the MMA crew get all hostile like this, it's downright un-American.

I like the MMA section the way it is, but changes would be cool too. It would probably generate some more discussion about the lesser promotions besides UFC and Strikeforce. I want someone to talk to about Bellator besides Jon. :(

This was my goal. Of course we COULD leave it, but I don't think giving some small changes a chance would hurt anything. Especially for people who want more than just Zuffa information. If it turns out that it's no good, we can always change it back.

I basically quit posting a bunch of news because nobody was checking it or it was just getting skipped over when I posted it in here. Not all of our regular posters check the site daily, but by having organizational news threads, when they do log in, they can go directly there and see what they may have missed as far as news in the world of MMA.

Jeff, as you pointed out, no other thread does this. I use numerous different places for news, but I only discuss MMA here and one other site, my suggestions weren't to step on toes, but to help with the fluidity of news and how we can find that news without having to look in three different places.

I'm sorry that I even brought it up. Like I said, the next time I have a suggestions, I'll keep it to myself.

Am I to understand there is a good free card of some sort on tonight?

Enlighten me

Strikeforce from San Diego: Diaz vs. Daley is on tonight. NorCal. Showtime, the show starts at 7pm PST/10pm EST

Bolded is what will be televised

Strikeforce Welterweight Championship
Nick Diaz 169.25lbs vs. Paul Daley 169.5lbs

Strikeforce Lightweight Championship
Gilbert Melendez 154.75lbs vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri 154.25lbs

Shinya Aoki 155lbs vs. Lyle Beerbohm 155.5lbs
Gegard Mousasi 205.5lbs vs. Keith Jardine 205lbs

Under card:

Hiroyuki Takaya 144.5lbs vs. Robert Peralta 144.5lbs
Brett Albee 218.5lbs vs. Virgil Zwicker 222.5lbs
Saad Awad 155.5lbs vs. Joe Duarte 155.5lbs
A.J. Matthews 169lbs vs. Herman Terrado 170.5lbs
Casey Ryan 184lbs vs. Paul Song 184.5lbs
Edgar Cardenas 139lbs vs. Rolando Perez 140lbs

I suggest you stop being such a baby, ITGG.

Read the first post in the News and Tidbits thread. It's for news that doesn't deserve its own thread. We've had discussions in the thread before just fine. Big time news/announcements get their own thread. The system has always worked. You're literally the only person to complain about this by the way.

It's not 47 pages of News and Tidbits for me or a bunch of people either as we do an amazing thing you should look into by changing the amount of posts that come up per page.

The MMA Lounge is a concept I'm confused by.

I believe that making a monthly news thread is a worthwhile change to make if we really need to make a change. Everything is fine the way it is. Seriously.

I suggest you stop being such a baby, ITGG.

Read the first post in the News and Tidbits thread. It's for news that doesn't deserve its own thread. We've had discussions in the thread before just fine. Big time news/announcements get their own thread. The system has always worked. You're literally the only person to complain about this by the way.

It's not 47 pages of News and Tidbits for me or a bunch of people either as we do an amazing thing you should look into by changing the amount of posts that come up per page.

The MMA Lounge is a concept I'm confused by.

I believe that making a monthly news thread is a worthwhile change to make if we really need to make a change. Everything is fine the way it is. Seriously.

You suggest it? Because I made a suggestion that a couple people happened to like?

Here's what I "suggest," put your college education to use and actually read my posts. I'm not complaining, whining, or bitching. I merely offered constructive criticism.

It's amazing to me that of the three people who have said they wouldn't mind a forum for other organizations, you've seemed to single me out and say that *I* am complaining. Would you like to address Dave and xfearbefore, too?

Personally, I'm done caring. You've taken this entire thing up the ass instead of what it was meant to be, constructive and possibly something new to drive up traffic in our forum. I seriously hope that every suggestion in your life isn't met with this much hostility and contempt, especially when someone fucking cares enough about something to try and make it better.

Don't "suggest" a damn thing to me. I don't really listen to people who act like a petulant child over someone offering to help. I asked JMT if he would listen to my suggestions and he said yes. He told me to PM them or post them in here.

If you had actually taken the time to read everyone's posts on these changes instead of verbally assaulting me for trying to be helpful, you wouldn't be lost on what the MMA Lounge idea was.

But since you decided to skip that portion, I'll state it again.

The place for general MMA talk, cross-organization MMA topics, asking questions, and pondering light-hearted topics such as dream matchups and rankings.

I'm all for some changes in the section, but the only thing is that the UFC/Strikeforce stickied would get the most traffic, just be like what the mma news/tidbits is now. Dream and others hardly get mentioned except for their 2-3 big shows they have a year, except for Bellator.

Instead, why not have one stickied thread for all upcoming fights announced no matter what organization.

One for fighter's in the news, like Silva being suspended, Chael's legal troubles, or whatever the news tidbit is, doesn't have to be negative news.

Definitely a boxing one, Calderownz has been keeping boxing alive here, it would basically be JMT and myself posting something boxing related every once in a while.

The Lounge sounds good, be a good place to insert good interviews and such, that we can discuss, and match ups we would like to see as you mentioned.

It would also be cool to have an MMA Lounge of sorts where we can discuss possible cross-promotional match-ups, dream match-ups, and other MMA related things that aren't spam, but don't quite need to be in the GSD thread.

But I'm glad that you chose to only focus on me.

Moving right along to less annoying matters.

Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami Targeted for UFC: Rio in August

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/4/9/2100884/anderson-silva-vs-yushin-okami-targeted-for-ufc-rio-in-august

Dan Henderson Likely For July Strikeforce Card; Fedor Not Offered Yet

http://mmaweekly.com/dan-henderson-likely-to-return-on-july-strikeforce-card-fedor-fight-not-offered-yet

Sean McCorkle Released from the UFC Following Back-to-Back Losses

http://mmaweekly.com/sean-mccorkle-released-from-the-ufc-following-back-to-back-losses

And, for those people who got upset with BJ Penn for not taking the Condit fight.

Shoulder Injury Forces Penn from UFC 132

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Shoulder-Injury-Forces-Penn-from-UFC-132-31449

And on a Condit related note, he will be fighting at 132 after all.

Carlos Condit Draws Dong Hyun Kim At UFC 132 in July

http://mmaweekly.com/carlos-condit-draws-dong-hyun-kim-at-ufc-132-in-july

So much arguing in the near two weeks I have been gone. Well, I must return to my self imposed exile. Later folks.

I figured McGarbage would be cute following the two losses. He talked a big game but couldn't back it up.

Still don't like Fedor possibly fighting Hendo right away if he drops to 205, I get the business aspect of it, but a slap to the face of contenders in the division, even though there really isn't any. With SF's lack in depth in most of their divisions it only takes 2 solid wins to earn a title shot, so Mousasi should be getting the next crack at Hendo, when he stomps out Jardine.

I figured McGarbage would be cute following the two losses. He talked a big game but couldn't back it up.

Still don't like Fedor possibly fighting Hendo right away if he drops to 205, I get the business aspect of it, but a slap to the face of contenders in the division, even though there really isn't any. With SF's lack in depth in most of their divisions it only takes 2 solid wins to earn a title shot, so Mousasi should be getting the next crack at Hendo, when he stomps out Jardine.

A lot of people are writing off Jardine fairly quickly in this fight. While I think Mousasi should win this fight, it's important to remember that Jardine always beats people he shouldn't and loses to people he should beat. Jardine went the distance with Liddell, Vera, and Rampage. He also beat Griffin and Whitehead.

Mousasi has great stand-up, but he's got a lack of wrestling. Jardine could fall back on his wrestling and easily steal this, I think people should realize this. It's not likely, but if Jardine really wants back in the UFC and wants to turn a corner, this is where I would start.

They show every fight in it's entirety.

Really? The set I've been watching is simply a countdown of the 100 greatest fights voted by the fans with the fighters talking about their fights while it plays a clip reel of each one. Pretty sure it was a television special and not the set that shows each fight.

Really? The set I've been watching is simply a countdown of the 100 greatest fights voted by the fans with the fighters talking about their fights while it plays a clip reel of each one. Pretty sure it was a television special and not the set that shows each fight.

It was a television special, but I watched every fight in its entirety. It was like a 5 part television special that aired over a month and half.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back