• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA GSD for April: The Countdown to GSP Beating a Dead Horse

Actually, It might have been in the videos section when we had one, I know that JMT will know...he remembers me posting it.

Couple tidbits of information from today:

Mayhem Miller has decided he's over his feud with Diaz and would like to focus on different opponents.

Joe "Daddy" Stevenson has dropped to Featherweight and will face Javier Vasquez at UFC On Versus 4

Lol that was a dominant performance by Cro Cop. Caras was so clearly outmatched there, he looked lost and all Mirko had to do was just wait and calmly pick his shot.

What's up with the mask though. I know how sacred the luchadors consider their masks and hiding their identities, but is wearing a mask legal in MMA? It seems like it might give you an unfair advantage, having some sort of protection over your face even if it just a little bit of fabric. Not surprised to see it in Japan but I can't imagine they'd ever let someone do that in the US. Would they?

You watch any of the Bellator show this weekend ITGG?

Xfear, Dos Caras got permission to wear the mask. Pride amended their rules because they issued the Open Challenge to face Cro Cop

Lol that was a dominant performance by Cro Cop. Caras was so clearly outmatched there, he looked lost and all Mirko had to do was just wait and calmly pick his shot.

What's up with the mask though. I know how sacred the luchadors consider their masks and hiding their identities, but is wearing a mask legal in MMA? It seems like it might give you an unfair advantage, having some sort of protection over your face even if it just a little bit of fabric. Not surprised to see it in Japan but I can't imagine they'd ever let someone do that in the US. Would they?

You watch any of the Bellator show this weekend ITGG?

He bitched and moaned about it until he got his way. Which is consistent with reports about him bitching and moaning about being in FCW and unmasked until he was put on house show duty to shut him up, and from there called up.

That would never be allowed under the Unified Rules of MMA here in America, but they allowed fighters to wear various different things in Pride.

I caught the highlights of Bellator this weekend. I had a pretty packed weekend because we had guests from out of town and they wanted to see a movie Saturday night. We saw Battle Los Angeles.

Don't you worry, though, I saw Patricky deliver the Indian Death Knee to Imada with the follow up punch. I also saw Alvarez dominate Curran.

He bitched and moaned about it until he got his way. Which is consistent with reports about him bitching and moaning about being in FCW and unmasked until he was put on house show duty to shut him up, and from there called up.

It was actually a mixed bag. He did "bitch and moan" per se, but that's because of his Luchador background and he was selected because of his and his family's name in Lucha Libre.

Pride issued the open challenge because they felt that Cro Cop was the best star they had. They didn't think anyone could beat him.

Yeah that knee from Pitbull was sick. I thought Alvarez was really disappointing as was that fight though, he kept tagging Curran with shots through out the entire fight but they never seemed to even phase him or make him stumble, I expected more impressive striking out of the guy from what I'd heard but he didn't seem to be able to make any of his many shots mean anything on Curran's chin. Curran didn't exactly go for broke in the last round either, which he should have since he lost the other 4 rounds handily. I was disappointed/bummed by that fight.

But the Ben Saunders-Matt Sung Lee fight was awesome and was the best of the night. Lee was a bloody freaking mess by the time it was over, great fight.

Yeah that knee from Pitbull was sick. I thought Alvarez was really disappointing as was that fight though, he kept tagging Curran with shots through out the entire fight but they never seemed to even phase him or make him stumble, I expected more impressive striking out of the guy from what I'd heard but he didn't seem to be able to make any of his many shots mean anything on Curran's chin. Curran didn't exactly go for broke in the last round either, which he should have since he lost the other 4 rounds handily. I was disappointed bummed by that fight.

I don't think too much needs to be made about Alvarez not finishing this fight. Alvarez is a dominant wrestler who finishes the majority his fights via GnP and submissions from strikes. He knew that Curran had struggled with a solid wrestler in the past; Elkins, and it made sense to not take too many risks in this fight. If he was ever getting outboxed he could just take him down. As it turned out, he didn't much need his wrestling because he was just outpointing Curran the entire fight.

Also, it's worth noting that Curran has never been (T)KO'ed in his MMA career.

Also, while the Pitbull flying knee was sick, I still think the gold standard for flying knee finishes is Jose Aldo finishing Cub Swanson with one as soon as the fight began.

I don't think too much needs to be made about Alvarez not finishing this fight. Alvarez is a dominant wrestler who finishes the majority his fights via GnP and submissions from strikes. He knew that Curran had struggled with a solid wrestler in the past; Elkins, and it made sense to not take too many risks in this fight. If he was ever getting outboxed he could just take him down. As it turned out, he didn't much need his wrestling because he was just outpointing Curran the entire fight.

Also, it's worth noting that Curran has never been (T)KO'ed in his MMA career.

I'm sure you're right, I guess I was just disappointed that the fight wasn't more exciting since, as you said, Alvarez played it smart and safe.

I'm sure you're right, I guess I was just disappointed that the fight wasn't more exciting since, as you said, Alvarez played it smart and safe.

And that's just a trend in MMA right now. GSP has said in many interviews that he fights "safe"

If you look at how liberal Dana White is with his cuts, fighters don't want to lose their income. Gerald Harris loses one fight in the UFC and gets cut, Lyoto Machida loses a title fight and a close controversial decision to Rampage and Dana said he will cut him if he loses to Randy, the list goes on and on.

Fighting safe, boring as it may be, is just something that prolongs careers and keeps the money coming in.

I guess I'm still thinking like a PRIDE fan, always wanting action over technical strategy. I miss the Yellow cards. :(

I guess I'm still thinking like a PRIDE fan, always wanting action over technical strategy. I miss the Yellow cards. :(

I agree with you, I miss the action and yellow cards, too. I liked the Japanese scoring system that favored submission attempts over lay and pray.

I just understand WHY people fight safe these days. Since those yellow cards and scoring systems aren't in place, you have to fight to secure a paycheck and a livelihood for your family.

I don't agree with that, I wanted Wandy/Belfort. Leben's coming off a KO loss to Brian Stann. This fight is a reward for him.

I don't agree with that, I wanted Wandy/Belfort. Leben's coming off a KO loss to Brian Stann. This fight is a reward for him.

Agreed, but then again I don't mind Wandy getting a tune up fight to get himself back in the game after such a long lay off.

Also, it looks like Bisping and Sonnen are the front runners for coaching TUF 14. If that happens, it will be the greatest season in TUF history (which they'll really need following this season, which looks absolutely horrific). The trash talk between Sonnen and Bisping combined with the little dudes banging it out.... it'll be one epic episode after another.

So, basically because Sonnen is defiant in playing ball with Keith Kizer, he most likely will not coach TUF 14.

Mayhem Miller is now openly campaigning to coach TUF against Bisping. Don't do it Dana, I don't want to root for Bisping.

Damn shame Gina lost that fight to Cyborg years back. If she had won things would have been so much different for female MMA and Strikeforce. I'm down to root for her again though.

I'm about halfway through the UFC 100 Best Fights set right now, I've got Lesnar vs. Couture from UFC 91 next but I've already seen that fight a few times. This set just gets better and better though.

Watched the premiere of Lesnar/Dos Santos TUF. It was a typical premiere episode - guys talk about how much they want this, Dana cussing, guys talk about how they had a hard life and need this for their wife/kids/family/etc., general hyping of the coaches and how legit they are, Dana cussing, last pick talking about how he's going to prove himself, blah blah blah. Personally, I'm happy to see them revert back to just picking the guys they want for the house and not having them ~fight for their lives~. And it's nice to see both coaches legitimately trying to have the winning team and provide as much knowledge and opportunity as they can to these guys.

The reality TV junkie in me misses the drama, shit talking, and drunken encounters but there's still a long way to go. And really, all of the other shit I watch gives me more than enough of that so I can't complain... Tough Enough also seems to be stepping things up in the lols department so I'll let that be the ambassador of embarassing and awkward fight-related reality TV.

JMT, You see that the UFC is finally returning to LA? UFN 25: Battle on the Bayou, and look a UFC event not named after the headliners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back