MMA April is Ruining Your Special Night Twiceover

This is one of those instances where the UFC needs to have a pro wrestling mind-set: Since it's unclear who "deserves" the shot at JDS, just match him up against with the biggest draw possible.

Basically, sign FEDOR!!! :D

I'm with the #RallyForMarkHunt team.

Mir does make the most sense, but Hunt would make for more of an exciting fight. My theory was, if Brock got a title shot after beating Heath Herring, then Hunt is deserving after beating Kongo. Plus I still wanna see Mir Vs. Cain.

Fedor couldn't draw flies to shit.

Fedor drew 5.4 mil on CBS, and that was with little to zero promotion.

Even with non-stop promotion during NFL games, the UFC still only got 5.7 mil for their first UFC show.

Also, Fedor holds the record for the highest rating for an MMA event on Showtime.

With Brock and Kimbo out of the picture, and Overeem's potential now being flushed down the toilet, Fedor is the only big draw left in the entire division. That is an indisputable fact.

Fedor drew 5.4 mil on CBS, and that was with little to zero promotion.

Even with non-stop promotion during NFL games, the UFC still only got 5.7 mil for their first UFC show.

Also, Fedor holds the record for the highest rating for an MMA event on Showtime.

With Brock and Kimbo out of the picture, and Overeem's potential now being flushed down the toilet, Fedor is the only big draw left in the entire division. That is an indisputable fact.

He's a Sonnen fan, just let him be. No point in trying to reason with them

Fedor vs Rogers drew a 1.7 rating on CBS. If he was such a ratings success, they'd still be airing Strikeforce cards. I'm on my phone and can't look now, otherwise I'd lose this post, but didn't JDS/Cain draw 8 million?

Sure, he had the highest rated fight on Showtime, but that was the night the myth got debunked, and he's a major reason why Strikeforce is on life support now. Wins over a couple of cans should not make Fedor a contender now.

Frank Mir is more of a draw, and more deserving of a shot than Fedor ever will be.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/CBS-FedorRogers-Draws-546-Million-Viewers-20843

^^That says Fedor/Rogers drew 5.4 million.

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/11/13/...-5-million-fail-to-top-kimbo-slice-on-cbs-mma

^^That says UFC on Fox 1 drew 5.7 million.

And I have yet to see one fan say they want to see Mir/JDS. Mir was almost put out by a Big Nog jab... JDS will kill this guy. It's just a bad match-up for Mir.

And yes, while Mir "deserves" a shot more than Fedor does, it goes back to my original point... the UFC should bring someone who will excite the people. Mir/JDS won't excite anyone, but Fedor making his UFC debut? Shit... come on, Guy, you know that's a big jump in the pay-per-view buys. Even if they bump Mir to the ME and then sign Fedor to fight Cain... that'll be huge. And the fact that for the past couple of months Fedor and his management have been saying they want to go to the UFC, now is the time to get the deal done.

I mean, even if you think Fedor is an overrated myth... at the end of the day, Fedor is a proven draw, and he gives you exciting fights. What more could you want from a fighter? Forget about the hype and whether or not he is past his prime; he is fun as hell to watch and will always give the fans 100% whenever he steps into that ring/cage. There's no reason not to sign this guy if he's not demanding outlandish stuff.

Not sure why that link I found only said a 1.7 rating. Regardless, it peaked at 5.4 million, whereas UFC on Fox peaked at 8 million.

Regardless, Fedor still had very strong promotion during the NFL that weekend. My dad who doesn't watch MMA was asking about the fight. But again, this was also back when Fedor had some hype behind him. The myth has been debunked, nobody cares anymore, he can go fight cans in Russia the rest of his career and pad up his record.

And I have yet to see one fan say they want to see Mir/JDS. Mir was almost put out by a Big Nog jab... JDS will kill this guy. It's just a bad match-up for Mir.

I really want to see Mir/JDS, but regardless, Dana said Mir vs. Velasquez is on no matter what.
And yes, while Mir "deserves" a shot more than Fedor does, it goes back to my original point... the UFC should bring someone who will excite the people. Mir/JDS won't excite anyone, but Fedor making his UFC debut? Shit... come on, Guy, you know that's a big jump in the pay-per-view buys. Even if they bump Mir to the ME and then sign Fedor to fight Cain... that'll be huge. And the fact that for the past couple of months Fedor and his management have been saying they want to go to the UFC, now is the time to get the deal done.

The Rock returning to wrestling didn't do shit for the WWE's bottom line. Ratings were poor all the way out, the Survivor Series buyrate was shit, and WM28 only did 1.1 million buys, only a small bump from WM27.

Why am I bringing this up? Because The Rock, who is still a bonafide superstar, coming back into the fold for the WWE didn't do much for them.

Fedor is nothing close to a superstar. There's no big money fight like a fight against Brock would have been two years ago. He's poison for every company that signs him. He'd have very little impact on increasing buyrates, and to suggest him fighting Cain Velasquez is ludicrous. I think given his circumstances of being mediocre now means a fight against Brendan Schaub is more his speed.

In other news, Daniel Bryan reveals the origin for "YES!"
GQ: Where did the "Yes!" chant come from? Was that your idea?
Daniel Bryan: It was really just, "How do I be as obnoxious as possible?" The "Yes!" thing came from a UFC fighter named Diego Sanchez. He's a tremendous fighter, but he also has these little obnoxious aspects to his character. One thing that he used to do—he doesn't really do it anymore—is that when he would come to the cage, he'd say "Yes! Yes! Yes!"—not the same way I do it, but as some sort of positive affirmation that he could win the fight. I thought, "I love this guy, but that's so annoying!" And then when I became a bad guy, I started doing it, and it really worked out. Speaking of Diego Sanchez, he also did something ludicrous in his last fight: Brandishing a cross in front of him like he was warding off a vampire. If my character has to change at all, I might do that [laughs].

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/tv/...being-a-vegan-pro-wrestler.html#ixzz1rscd9akV

Diego Sanchez always credited Tony Robins for the "Yes" thing, lol. He's such a weird dude. The cross thing may have been my biggest MMA WTF moment ever, but I still loved it.

Gustafsson by whatever he wants. Silva is only good against cans. He's lost badly against every legit fighter he's fought and everyone he's beaten is no longer in the UFC.

I think Thiago Silva is grossly underrated, but this was too long of a lay-off to becoming back against a talent like Gustafsson, so I think Silva's going to be completely outclassed.

Frank Shamrock finishes puberty, has braces removed.

578178_10150806796714612_8001349611_11638618_564602104_n.jpg

STOCKHOLM (Nettavisen): After loss to Nick Diaz in October last year, announced earlier lightweight champion BJ Penn that he put up as fighter.
It prevents him not to travel to Stockholm to pick up this weekend's UFC competition in the Globe. 33-year-old from Hawaii is one of the most familiar faces in UFC history and can not walk three feet in the hallways of the hotel without being stopped by eager fans.
Nettavisen met the popular American voter to fight in Stockholm on Friday evening. Characterized by jet lag and all the commotion, had B.J. passed out just minutes before the interview. He appeared, however up to the agreement.
My last game is done
After more than ten years as a fighter to the very highest level in the world, one would think that it would be a little hard to decide to put a line through it all. But B.J. seems to thrive.
"I miss not being punched in the face. I don't know, I have no plans to go for a game ever again. I don't miss it" says B.J. Penn Nettavisen.
Although he has given himself as a professional MMA athlete, he has not stopped exercising. He admits, however, that has kills more relaxed now than he did before.
"I still train martial arts for fun, I do all the time. I don't train as much MMA, so it is mostly grappling and different things."
"I practice when I want, and it is good that there is no way that I must be at the gym. If I'm tired one day, I take it easy and teach things to others."
Career Highlights
From 2008 to 2010 was B.J. the undisputed king of UFCs lightweight class and went to a total of ten title fights in the organization. The highlights are many, but 33-year-old has two memories that skilelr from the rest.
*"My best memory is my first fight in the UFC against Joey Gilbert. I still remember the excitement when I walked into the cage. It was great. Also I must mention the time I took the belt from Matt Hughes for many years (2004, editor.). They're probably my two greatest career moments" says Penn.
Surprised by Norwegian ban
His own career may be over, but B.J. still uses a lot of time in MMA.
"I still enjoy myself watching the UFC. It's great to see young players coming up and do new things. New moves, new battle plans, new ways to win. I'm still a big fan of UFC."
He is surprised when he learns that either MMA or professional boxing is allowed in Norway. He believes that politicians and the citizens have to put into the sport and understand what it's all about if it ever be legalized.
"It's like anything else. People need to educated and understand what it means. Since neither boxing is allowed, I guess that it's punches and kicks to the head that is the problem. It must be the first hurdle to get over, but it sounds like it will be a tough game."
Belief in Jon Jones
Next weekend is held UFC 145 in Atlanta, and it's time for a major confrontation between the bitter rivals Rashad Evans and Jon Jones. B.J. is delighted.
"I think it is a very good match. I think Rashad Evans will do well if he manages to take Jon Jones down, while Jones will do best if the fight remains standing. I think it will be the key in the fight."
You would think that it tingled a bit in the arms and legs of an old champion in connection with such a fight, but BJ is sure in his cause.
"I am done. I will never fight again.

Sad to see him leave, but he went out like a warrior should.

If he is satisfied and happy with his life, then I hope he remains retired. As much as I love watching the guy fight when he is on the top of his game, I'd rather see him walk away while still healthy and content with his career.

So I've been piecemeal watching yesterday's card... really good stuff from Brad Pickett. That dude could definitely give fits to the top of 135. Extremely well-rounded. Sure, he got obliterated by Renan Barao, but Barao is a future title contender. I'd really like to see Pickett take on Brian Bowles or Scott Jorgensen with his next fight.

And I loved Brian Stann's smashing of Alessio Sakara. Sakara's not a top guy by any means, and this was totally a fight designed to get Stann back in the win column after getting handled by Chael, but you can't deny his power, which is good enough to put away just about anyone at 185. He's definitely a top 10 guy at 185, and for some reason, I really want to see him take on Jake Shields for his re-debut in that division.

Just watched Siyar vs. Paulo Thiago. God, remember when Thiago KO'ed Koscheck in his UFC Debut and he showed flashes of being a potential contender at 170? What the hell happened...

I'm really disappointed with that news. I was really looking forward to seeing him make the transition to Boxing.

And call it a gut feeling, but I see Rashad Evans pulling off the upset this weekend. I'll get more into it in the official UFC 145 thread when I reply to it either later tonight or tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I want Jones to win, I'm not a Rashad guy at all. I just don't see it happening. Every fighter faces adversity at some point in their career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back