• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA GSD For October: Where Michael Bisping Still Makes "Toilet Store" Jokes.

New estimate is 250,000. Still nothing to bark at, but an increase none the less.

They're falling into the same WWE pitfall with too many PPVs. As good as the card was, you had Jones/Rampage 2 weeks before 136 and what was supposed to be GSP/Condit 3 weeks later.

Plus, Frankie Edgar does not appeal to the casual fan.

Plus, Frankie Edgar does not appeal to the casual fan.

I'm not a Frankie fan but I'm not sure I agree on this one, I feel like his style and his frame gives his fights almost a david vs goliath feel, and people like to see the energetic little guy bounce around and kick ass. When I try to get people into MMA they always seem to either love the heavyweight's pounding on each other or the small scrappy guys going to war, and Frankie fits that bill perfectly with his footwork,boxing and wrestling. Just my opinion though, I don't personally love the guy but I feel like he's one of the first guys who comes to mind when thinking of casual fans would go for.

On another note, I do love that every PPV that Brock was on/headlining after he won the title got atleast 1,000,000.

So Jake Ellenburger is on a five fight winning streak in the UFC, he just beat Jake Sheilds and riding higher than ever. The UFC gives him Diego Sanchez.....I'm sorry, no disrespect to Diego at all but considering the place where each guy is that is a step down for Jake, still a tough fight but Diego doesn't really make sense right now, Ellenburger should be facing Kos or the winner of Fitch-Hendricks.

Jamie Varner fights another no name tonight (the event is starting right now) on HD Net. I'm really not a huge Varner fan, but he is a NJ fighter and trains with one of my trainers, so I'm hoping he pulls off a W tonight. He really needs it.

He picked himself up a nice little KO, wish he'd recieved one instead though. I never liked the guy and he was a total doucher in his confrontations with Cerrone, doesn't matter much though because he'll never be back in a legit promotion in the main event ever again.

Paul Daley picked up another win last night too, after making a fucking 40 pound weight cut in just a couple of days. That's some Ricky Hatton shit right there.

It was against a former UFC fighter as well. Never liked Daley, but he is on a roll. With Varner, he was atrocious in his series with Cerrone, but he REALLY needed that win, and he's not going to fight in a big promotion anytime soon either, I just didn't want to see him lose to another no name.

It'd be nice to see promotions not take him because of his weight issues, teach him a lesson. That won't happen though because he definitely is a draw.

I saw that and was pretty surprised. Wiuff does have the experience though, and definitely could take the title off of M'Pumbu is he does choose to say at 205 (Wiuff.)

It shows the major issue with the way Bellator is setup. Now they have to make the rematch with Wiuff, plus their champion lost credibility. I knew this day was coming, I was just hoping it was going to be Joe Warren.

Why wasn't it a title fight in the first place? Anyway I'm glad Wuiff picked up the win even though the fight wasn't for the title. I've been a fan of Travis since his fight with Babalu at UFC 52, I always was drawn to journeymen like him and I have major respect for his type. The situation sucks but hopefully he wins the title in the rematch because it'd be cool to see him pull that off.

Bellator only allows tournament winners to compete for the belts. Any other fight involving a champion is dubbed a "super fight". It's really quiet silly.

Ah that's right, yet another reason why Bellator isn't finding more more success. They've got good talent but they've gotta improve their structure.

I have to ask a silly question; how is a two day, 40 lb cut even possible? Where would he even start to do that?

I have to ask a silly question; how is a two day, 40 lb cut even possible? Where would he even start to do that?

Not silly at all, that is a shit ton of weight, you would pretty much be dead after cutting that even if somehow you did, cutting 20 is already alot. Cutting weight, throw on a sweatsuit and start fucking running, hit the sauna or maybe even get a bike in the sauna and go. Also fluid restriction is key there as well, but 40 lbs again is not a normal weight cut in that time period at all. After something like that even if you manage to make the weight you would be the living dead walking around feeling like shit with no energy.

Here's an interview with Paul Daley a couple of days before his fight, where he claims to be weighing 210 (the fight took place at 170):

[YOUTUBE]a8ir1YTZ-Sk[/YOUTUBE]

It seems really hard to believe that he could pull it off, but this is nothing to lie about. It only makes him look bad to not take better care of himself in-between fights.

I'm also certain Ricky Hatton made a 40 pound weight cut for the Paulie Malignaggi fight. And I think Forrest Griffin cuts around 30 pounds for every fight. Anderson Silva is a big weight cutter too. And while it's never been specified, Anthony Johnson has to make close to a 40 pound weight cut every time out. That dude is fucking HUGE for 170... even bigger than Daley.

Also, Bisping's technique on TUF works well as well. Salt bath for 20 minutes, lay in layers of sheets for 20 minutes, back to the salt bath and back to the sheets, and that cuts 6 or 7 pounds.

Also, Bisping's technique on TUF works well as well. Salt bath for 20 minutes, lay in layers of sheets for 20 minutes, back to the salt bath and back to the sheets, and that cuts 6 or 7 pounds.

Totally forgot about that one, I was really surprised the first time I heard about that and how much it drops, very effective without kicking your ass too hard.

As for Johnson that guy is a freak of nature, I met the guy when he was at his regular weight and the guy is huge, if Thiago Alves needs to fight at MW then Anthony should be a goddamn LHW, he likes to have that size and power on the welters though.

Johnson has always had weight problems when it comes to making 170. I agree that if Dana is making Thiago Alves fight at 185, than he should do the same for Johnson, as it's always a very unhealthy weight cut.

Also, JW (and for anyone else who competes in any typed of [mixed] martial art), have you ever done NAGA or Grapplers Quest, or any big grappling only tournaments like that? Just wondering.

Johnson has always had weight problems when it comes to making 170. I agree that if Dana is making Thiago Alves fight at 185, than he should do the same for Johnson, as it's always a very unhealthy weight cut.

Also, JW (and for anyone else who competes in any typed of [mixed] martial art), have you ever done NAGA or Grapplers Quest, or any big grappling only tournaments like that? Just wondering.

Not yet, but I want to ASAP,right now I'm healing up from a back injury so I won't be doing it soon, but once I'm cleared by the doc to get back to training I intend on giving it a shot.

Also I found this running through my pictures on my laptop, always puts a smile on my face.
5420_1175709867927_1083498830_30589260_2165097_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back