• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA GSD for April: The Countdown to GSP Beating a Dead Horse

Why? Vitor's striking is wonderful and his hands are quicker than Anderson's.

Im not putting Vitor down as a striker, yes he is lethal and explosive. People other than Anderson he can really outstrike anybody in the middleweight division, but like i said probably anybody other than Anderson Silva. Anderson Silva is so unpredictable and accurate with his striking it really throws any fighter off their gameplan. That takes an un believable amount of skill. Vitor even claimed after the fight that kick caught him off guard. Vitor will throw punches, but he is nowhere as near as versatile as Anderson can be. Anderson can hit you with basically any move with deadly accuracy which is why he is a class above everybody else.

Anderson Silva is so unpredictable and accurate with his striking it really throws any fighter off their gameplan.

As does the lethal speed of Vitor and Vitor, with his hands, is probably more accurate than Silva is.

That takes an un believable amount of skill. Vitor even claimed after the fight that kick caught him off guard. Vitor will throw punches, but he is nowhere as near as versatile as Anderson can be.

Yes, Silva does employ a wider set of weapons but that kick worked almost entirely based on it's rarity and the chance of something that uncommon working in any other Silva fight becomes even rarer.

Silva might have more variety than Vitor but Vitor's aggression and killer instinct when he has someone hurt is unmatched by anyone at Middleweight which includes Silva. Vitor might rely solely on punches but he throws them at such speed he overwhelms his opponents by sheer numbers and I see him doing that to Silva if they fight again.

That doesn't make him a better striker. Not in the slightest. Better boxer? Yes, Vitor is regarded as one of MMA's best boxers. Better striker? Not a chance. Rephrase your wording. Vitor is a better boxer than Anderson. Striking is a wide generalization as it includes many parts. Vitor has the speed, and boxing over Anderson, but everything else Anderson kills him in.

Head movement-Anderson
Kicks-Anderson
Knees-Anderson
Defense-Anderson

Vitor usually relies on his speed, and power to KO somebody. He doesn't show a complete striking game. His defense is lacking as is his head movement. Vitor finishes people with punches. Anderson finishes with everything else. The only person in MMA with better striking than Anderson is Overeem

Alright, while I will say Silva is the better striker, anyone who says Belforts striking wasn't hitting Anderson is ridiculous. Silva has some of the best head movement in the world but Belforts hits WHERE landing. Whether they were affecting him is another story, but Belfort was the first person I've ever seen that was actually able to hit Silva when he started dancing.

Never said Belfort wasn't hitting Silva.

It was more in reference to stuff said a page or 2 ago.

Belfort is seriously the ONLY person I've seen able to hit Silva after he's started dancing.

If only we could give that hand speed to someone who doesn't take the Sparta Stomp....

That doesn't make him a better striker. Not in the slightest. Better boxer? Yes, Vitor is regarded as one of MMA's best boxers. Better striker? Not a chance. Rephrase your wording. Vitor is a better boxer than Anderson. Striking is a wide generalization as it includes many parts. Vitor has the speed, and boxing over Anderson, but everything else Anderson kills him in.

Head movement-Anderson
Kicks-Anderson
Knees-Anderson
Defense-Anderson

Vitor usually relies on his speed, and power to KO somebody. He doesn't show a complete striking game. His defense is lacking as is his head movement. Vitor finishes people with punches. Anderson finishes with everything else. The only person in MMA with better striking than Anderson is Overeem

That may be true but punches are more practical than either knees or kicks and generally make up a larger percentage of offense used in fights. Vitor is better at an aspect of striking that is worth more than the aspects Anderson has over Vitor.

Vitor has sufficient head movement and his hands are quick enough to effectively punch Anderson in the face, meaning his punches will land at a good percentage thus negating Anderson's own movement.

Vitor might finish people with punches but he's better than Anderson at capitalizing on a hurt opponent, he's more relentless than Anderson which I honestly believe makes up for the lack of variety when finishing opponents.

And let's see Overeem face someone who's not a can first before we start wetting our pants.

Werdum is a bit of an underrated striker. That's what helped him get the win the first time he fought Overeem. Maybe, it'll happen again but my money is on Reem winning the whole tournament.

Apparently DH Smith is planning on going into MMA. What do you guys think about another ex WWE guy deciding to "go legit" as it were.

Apparently DH Smith is planning on going into MMA. What do you guys think about another ex WWE guy deciding to "go legit" as it were.

Depends on how long he's being training legitimate fighting, such as wrestling, boxing etc.

Unless he's going to find a stable home in the UFC or Strikeforce which basically is a question of how good he is then he should stay with the E'. MMA like wrestling is extremely fickle and only in the top org's can people make sufficient money.

I know he's been training with Josh Barnett for a few years. I'm interested in seeing how he does. Not like he's going to be successful in the WWE anyway. When's the last time he even appeared on Raw?

Depends on how long he's being training legitimate fighting, such as wrestling, boxing etc.

He's been training with Josh Barnett and Billy Robinson for a while. Long enough to get a certificate to say that he's got 100+ hours of training in it and understands it well enough to teach other people.

Dude who trained him thinks it would take 18 months of training to make him good enough to be UFC champion

Unless he's going to find a stable home in the UFC or Strikeforce which basically is a question of how good he is then he should stay with the E'. MMA like wrestling is extremely fickle and only in the top org's can people make sufficient money.

Very True. I wouldn't be shocked if he made it though.

He's been training with Josh Barnett and Billy Robinson for a while. Long enough to get a certificate to say that he's got 100+ hours of training in it and understands it well enough to teach other people.

Dude who trained him thinks it would take 18 months of training to make him good enough to be UFC champion
/QUOTE]

Damn! That's great to hear. I'd love to see another pro wrestling alumni do well just so the haters who shat on Lesnar for being a pro-wrestler can suck it!

100 hours of MMA training isn't a great deal and I'm skeptical on the legitimacy of that guys claim that he can make him a UFC quality heavyweight in 18 months but I hope he makes it.

Is Smith still with the WWE? I actually love the guy and would support the hell out of him in an MMA endeavor.

Overeem has got this tournament. I really don't see anybody beating him. As for Smith getting into MMA, he hasn't been used in the WWE so why not if he actually thinks he has a shot to make it big in the world of MMA. Like many have mentioned you have to be really good to make a sufficient amount of money. But most of these pro-wrestler converts take a while to be taken seriously.

Not even Bigfoot? Bigfoot's the guy to take Reem' down in the tourney, no one from the opposite bracket has a chance if Reem survives Werdum.

That may be true but punches are more practical than either knees or kicks and generally make up a larger percentage of offense used in fights. Vitor is better at an aspect of striking that is worth more than the aspects Anderson has over Vitor.

Vitor has sufficient head movement and his hands are quick enough to effectively punch Anderson in the face, meaning his punches will land at a good percentage thus negating Anderson's own movement.

Vitor might finish people with punches but he's better than Anderson at capitalizing on a hurt opponent, he's more relentless than Anderson which I honestly believe makes up for the lack of variety when finishing opponents.

And let's see Overeem face someone who's not a can first before we start wetting our pants.

Vitor doesn't blow Silva away when it comes to punches. It's just his speed. They aren't far apart in boxing, and i'd argue that kicks and knees are worth just as much as punches.

Believe me, I am Overeem's biggest critic. To say he doesn't have the best pure striking in MMA though is crazy talk.

Also, punches are not worth more than kicks or knees. Just because you throw more punches in a fight does not make them more effective or important. They are pretty even when it comes to boxing. The only thing that gives Vitor the slight edge is his hand speed. He may be more relentless, but that is his style. It doesn't make him a better striker. You cannot penalize Anderson for his counter-punching style. Anderson picks his spots on hurt opponents because he knows it is easy to blow your wad if the guy somehow survives. Much like Carwin-Lesnar. It isn't a fault, just a preferred style.

Vitor doesn't blow Silva away when it comes to punches. It's just his speed. They aren't far apart in boxing, and i'd argue that kicks and knees are worth just as much as punches.

And speed could be the most important attribute to a boxer, especially considering Vitor's accuracy. I wouldn't say Vitor's boxing is far away superior to Anderson's but it is superior by a decent margin

Believe me, I am Overeem's biggest critic. To say he doesn't have the best pure striking in MMA though is crazy talk.

Mark Hunt.

But seriously, it was really meant as a general statement on Overeem as a complete fighter. I'm just saying that he hasn't beat anyone of even the tiniest of importance ( Rodgers is NOT important, lol). I'm sure he will, given the opportunities, beat the elite but he hasn't done it yet.

Also, punches are not worth more than kicks or knees. Just because you throw more punches in a fight does not make them more effective or important. They are pretty even when it comes to boxing. The only thing that gives Vitor the slight edge is his hand speed. He may be more relentless, but that is his style. It doesn't make him a better striker. You cannot penalize Anderson for his counter-punching style. Anderson picks his spots on hurt opponents because he knows it is easy to blow your wad if the guy somehow survives. Much like Carwin-Lesnar. It isn't a fault, just a preferred style.
Punches are more practical weapons than kicks or knees. Punches land quicker and are useful in more situations than kicks or knees, and with Vitor's accuracy and speed they are very effective. The style Vitor uses complements his skills to a tee, and anyway Vitor ha become only relentless when he's got a guy hurt, not during the normal course of a fight. My point was being when Vitor has someone hurt he will kill them, Anderson won't.

I could see him having some success but if he ever wanted to be a champion then he should have stayed in Strikeforce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back