• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA GSD For June: Sorry Fabricio, It's All Overeem

Looks like a good show, will probably try to catch a stream of it.

I think Werdum wanted to put some weight on to be around the same as Ubereem. Unfortunately, he did it the wrong way.

After watching Overeem's interview with Helwani, I am starting to like the guy. I used to be a huge critic, but he is a nice, well spoken guy. Looking forward to the complete destruction of Werdum tonight.

Man oh man, Werdum looks rough in that picture. I hope he is ready for what Ubereem is about to throw at him, but I doubt he truly is. I kind of expect a KO knee from Overeem in this one. I'm just feeling it. And, hopefully Barnett destroys Rogers.

Goddamn, what happened to Werdum? He looks like he's going to get winded right off the bat stepping in with Overeem. Man, I feel lost regarding the MMA news and fights. Most I've been hearing about is MMA being debated in New York City.

I'm not a big Barnett fan, but I like him more then Rogers. That and I would love to see Barnett get knocked the fuck out by Sergei Kharitonov in the next round.

Yeah, I definitely see the cons of Barnett, like I said I'm not exactly a fan, but Rogers lost me as a supporter after the Fedor fight for some reason. He just really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe he can change my mind tonight but I doubt it.

Barnett is everything a wrestler in MMA should inspire to be... I love that guy.

Catch Wrestling FTW!

He was. Those takedowns really took Noons off his game. He was expecting a 3 Round slugfest, and when Masvidal was able to land those takedowns, it took Noons completely out of his gameplan. Plus, I think Noons got sort of exposed tonight as someone who can't defend knees or kicks on the feet.

That said, Jorge Masvidal doesn't stand a chance against Gilbert Melendez.

He stands no chance what so ever.

I still hate Barnett, but he is fairly talented.

Barnett will beat Sergei, and Overeem will beat Bigfoot. I expect a Barnett/Overeem finals, which is the finals a lot of people expected from the beginning of this announcement (at least after Fedor lost and it was confirmed that he's no longer the best).

Overeem looked off. He wasn't landing enough strikes, not only that, but Werdum landed MORE strikes. If he let's Silva, a more powerful opponent, do that, he'll get put out.

Overeem said the punches that Werdum was throwing were pitter-patter and didn't have any power behind them. Werdum was throwing them to try to set-up Overeem into defending so he could score a takedown, but Overeem was just eating them and was just making sure he didn't get taken down.

Why unload on a guy who's just going to fall over anyway? Might as well just pick your shots and not do anything that makes it more likely you'll be taken down. The only way Werdum was winning was by a submission.

Nate Diaz vs. Takanori Gomi is on for UFC 135.

This is an AMAZING fight. You guys know I'm a big Nate Diaz fan, but he's getting KTFO in this one. I cannot wait!!!!

I know it's the Gsd for June, but 132 is on July 2nd. Dennis Siver is a dude who I follow, anyone know anything about this Matt Wiman dude?

Wiman has really decent wrestling, so it's a good litmus test to see how good Siver really is on the ground and defending takedowns that can actually threaten to put him on his back, unlike those takedowns Sotiropoulos was trying. If Siver can get past Wiman, then he's ready for a potential title shot eliminator against Guida.

Also, Gomi vs Diaz should be awesome. Shame the loser will probably be cut.

I doubt they'd cut Diaz, but it's possible that with a loss, Gomi is gone. I see Diaz getting destroyed anyway.

So what major MMA fighters still need avatars here, guys? Cain Velasquez, Jon Jones, Frankie Edgar, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, Urijah Faber, Dan Henderson, and Nick Diaz are the names that come to mind for me. Here's are avatars I quickly whipped up for Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz. I'll let you guys handle the others.

104fv.jpg

105cyp.jpg

But I'd figure we'd get some input from everyone before throwing avatars in Sly's thread, just so we can pick the best ones so (hopefully) none of them get rejected.

I doubt they'd cut Diaz, but it's possible that with a loss, Gomi is gone. I see Diaz getting destroyed anyway.

Only if Gomi got humiliated, but even then I don't think he'd get cut.

If the UFC can keep fucking Joe Stevenson this long, then they can keep a legend whose losses in the company are to HUGE names like Kenny Florian (in-line for a title shot), Clay Guida (a guy who's one win away from a title shot), and Nate Diaz (superb all around fighter).

If the UFC cuts Gomi for that, I will be majorly pissed off. But, hopefully we won't have to find out. I am kind of worried that the fight is in Denver because of the high altitude and Gomi's already questionable stamina. However, every fight Nate has been in his boxing has left him open for big shots, and I don't believe Nate has the chin his brother has, so if Gomi can land one of those haymakers... the lights will be out for Nate Diaz. Also, Gomi's top game is highly underrated. Don't be surprised if he takes Nate down and ground and pounds him in this fight, either. Of course, that'll leave Gomi open for submissions, but he's great when defending from the top... it's when he's on the bottom when he gets in trouble, and Nate will NOT be able to take Gomi down.

All in all, this is definitely a winnable fight for Gomi. I'm really looking forward to it. The fight's a week after my birthday, and a Gomi win will probably be the best birthday present I could ask for this year, lol.

Gomi also has been working on his Jiu Jitsu which should prove helpful against Diaz. He's also a very marketable fighter for the Japanese market so I highly doubt he is in any danger of being cut.

The reason why I could see Gomi being cut, moreso than Diaz, is because with a loss, he's 1-3 in the UFC. He wasn't too impressive in either loss against Florian or Guida. Furthermore, his reported payout is $50K to show. That's a lot of money to give a guy who, if sporting a 1-3 record, may appear to be over the hill.

With a loss, Diaz would be 0-3 in his last three, but I think he would be safe, given that the Diaz Brothers have a fanbase, they probably don't want to piss Nick off, and he's a TUF winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back