MMA GSD For June: Sorry Fabricio, It's All Overeem

HOLY FUCK did anyone say that Pettis not being able to submit Guida from his back was "extremely impressive"? All I did was make a point saying that Pettis showcased a really decent guard, but he has work to do.

This is the second time that you decided to put words in my mouth. Read posts before throwing your nonsense around. Thanks.

The response wasn't to you, it was a general statement for people who think it WAS very impressive for Pettis to threaten Guida with submissions. I used your statement for insipration but if I wanted to respond I would've quoted you.

And when was the first I 'put words into your mouth'?

Not trying to be a dick but I'd like to know.

Just about every good fighter has a bump in the road on their way to the top. Pettis will be fine... he's in a great camp, is still very young, and his guard from the bottom certainly threatened Guida on a few occasions last night. Right now, Pettis needs to work on his grappling, and finding a way to top position if taken down. I assume he'll be working with Ben Askren a lot more from here on out.

As long as the rules and judging criteria stay the same, we won't see any aggressive stand-up fighters make it to the top. It's literally impossible to have good takedown defense while being aggressive on the feet. Chuck Liddell and Anderson Silva, the two great strikers to make it to the top, only got there because they're counter punchers who constantly look to avoid the takedown (plus, in Anderson's case, he's been fortunate enough to be in a division where there are no good wrestlers with great submission defense). Every time Pettis got taken down against Guida, it was after throwing a punch or kick.

The only reason I give Diaz a shot against GSP is because it's 5 Rounds. Had last night's fight between Guida and Pettis been 5 Rounds, we very well could have seen a different outcome.

I would love to see Pettis take on someone like Dennis Siver or Melvin Guillard for his next fight. Talk about fun standup wars...

What about Gomi? Both are coming off losses to Guida, after all. :D :D :D

Chester - I'm talking about the Stann thing where I'm like 95% sure I didn't call him an "elite striker".

And JMT, I was thinking Gomi, but I don't want to see him get cut.

The only thing Vitor beat Anderson in that night was a staring contest. When you have two elite strikers like Vitor and Stann square off, its really anyone's fight in the standup. Its hard to say who would get the better of the exchanges, let alone pick a decisive winner.

Stann is a member of Jackson's camp by the way. Vitor could very well get taken down at will, I'm sure Stann's working on his ground game. Stann could ground and pound his way to victory.

Stann is absolutely a world class striker, by the way. I don't think Leben lost his chin overnight.

My bad, I was thinking of this. Similar but not the same, I apologize.

He should've got a shot after the Shalrous fight and was more deserving than Pettis was initially.

You're probably right here - but give UFC credit. They didn't fold WEC into UFC and stuff the WEC guys at the bottom of their card. The WEC champions were given a great deal of steam coming in to the new promotion, and Pettis was the champ there. I'm not one for title shot promises, but he was placed at the top of the short list to create an "undisputed" champion sort of a situation.

Pettis has a bright future ahead of him. Being 24 years old and being that active off his back while only being a purple belt is outstanding. With a bit more experience and time, he will be a monster.

The WEC guys are more exciting then the UFC. The featherweight and bantamweight divisions are spectucular, 2 of the best in the UFC to watch.

Gina Carano will not compete on June 18 at Strikeforce “Overeem vs. Werdum.”

Strikeforce executive Scott Coker announced the news during a Tuesday conference call, revealing that Carano failed her pre-fight medical examination and will be unable to fight at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. Details regarding the nature of Carano’s medical issues were not immediately available.

“I know that that she’s really disappointed,” said Coker. “It’s an unfortunate situation, but we have no further information at this time.”

In light of Carano’s absence, Sarah D’Alelio is now left without an opponent. According to Coker, no decision has been made regarding whether D’Alelio will still fight on the card, but one will come shortly.

“It’s yet to be determined,” said Coker. “We’ll probably have an answer by the end of the day.”

Carano’s bout with D’Alelio was to appear on the event’s Showtime-broadcast main card. Instead, a lightweight bout between K.J. Noons and Jorge Masvidal has now been promoted to the main draw. The event will feature the remaining two quarterfinals in Strikeforce’s 2011 heavyweight grand prix, as Alistair Overeem faces Fabricio Werdum and Josh Barnett tangles with Brett Rogers.

Carano, 29, has not fought since August 2009 when she suffered the first and only loss of her pro career, a brutal stoppage at the hands of Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos. Outside of the cage, Carano will star in the upcoming Steven Soderbergh film “Haywire,” scheduled to be released this August.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Couple of notable matchup changes.

Mike Massenzio (Isn't he a personal friend of yours, IC? Or am I completely making that up?) is stepping in to fight K-Soz this weekend at 131. Considering the fact that he's primarily a middleweight, I can't see this ending well for him, but he'll probably get another shot for stepping in with less than a week's notice.

Martin Kampmann is off this month's UFC on Versus card. John Howard will now fight Matt Brown. Lucky break for Howard, who gets a winnable fight here. Should be an exciting fight though.

As much as I love Gina Carano, her being out isn't such a bad thing; it means they can move Noons vs. Masvidal to the main card.

Chester, you're a fucking thread killer.

Better hop on the Dave Herman bandwagon now. He's on his way to being the Heavyweight Chael Sonnen.

Have you started catching any flack for the “BJJ doesn’t work” comments yet?

“I haven’t personally, but I haven’t really seen or talked to anybody other than my friends, but they’ve been telling me there’s a bunch of stuff online about it. But I haven’t really heard anything other than what other people have read and told me.”

I think I saw a Tweet from Renzo Gracie, said something. Did you hear about that?

“Yeah, one of my buddies said something. I don’t know what it said, but, it happens.”

Why does BJJ not work?

“I don’t know, I mean it just doesn’t. I mean it sort of works. Like if I were to teach a girl a martial art I’d probably go with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, because, you know, it’s kind of trickery, how can a little weak person maybe come out with a win after getting beat up real bad.”

(laughs)

It used to kind of work, right?

“Yeah, when nobody knew anything at all about it, cause, you know, it’s basically trickery. But once the tricks are even mildly known, you’re like, well I’m not falling for that. Are you going to get on Craig’s List and buy a car and wire somebody money that you’ve never met and hope they ship the car to you? Probably not, you know. But I bet a couple people fell for it at first though.”

You’ve used some pretty good moves submitting guys, omoplatas and stuff…

“Yeah… it happens. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.”

Quite happy Jglass banned him.

Herman is such a goofy guy. No way I can take him seriously.

I bet Einemo wishes he took him more seriously. That was a fun fight. Shit that whole card was fun.

So when's the next show? UFC Live 4 or whatever?

Oh shit I forgot all about Strikeforce.

Apparently Zuffa has too. Haven't heard a thing about this show at all on any UFC programming whatsoever. That's just dumb. Show will be on Showtime I presume? Or is this their big PPV deal?

I'm pretty sure they advertised quite a lot on the prelims on Spike and even at 129 which was the last PPV I ordered.

It will be on Showtime as well. Unfortunately, I don't have Showtime so it's looking like another night spent on the computer.

If you call your cable company and say you want Showtime and cancel like the next day, you'll only get charged like 90 cents on your cable bill.

Pretty stoked about tomorrow night's card, it's stacked.

Can't wait for tonight's show.

Ubereem and Barnett are going to kick some serious ass.

Also, Werdum could not have looked worse at the weigh-ins yesterday:

1064.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back