MMA December - All We Want For Christmas is Bisping's Two Front Teeth

Why are they giving the Bisping/Miller fight away for free? Nonetheless, it will be a fun night.

Not sure but I do think that this fight alone is gonna score them some big numbers. Maybe they want to end their time on Spike with a bang, but I think that with the amount of time it's been since we saw a coaches fight on the actual finale is going to be a major draw, and it's nice since we've been having to pay for so many PPVs lately.

Henderson is quick but nowhere near as quick as Edgar, particularly in their footwork. Maynard tagged Edgar once in each fight and was only able to land shots afterwards while Frankie was still dazed and apart from swaying once on each fight Maynard couldn't get barely any striking offence in. Henderson will win the fight by clinch and cage work but even still Edgar defensive grappling and ability to scramble will cause Bendo some serious problems. Edgar is by far the best wrestler Henderson has ever faced.

Maynard put his hands on Frankie a lot more than once in those fights, are you high as fuck? He dropped him multiple times in the first round in both fights. If Henderson dropped Guida, he can hurt Edgar. I pointed out plenty in my first response that Edgar has the better footwork. I then said that despite that advantage he was tagged by a guy with mediocre at best striking. The guy that did tag him, Maynard, doesn't have the speed, power, accuracy, combinations or finishing ability of Henderson. Edgar definitely has good scrambles and defensive grappling but they looked the best against Maynard who has such lazy and non-threatening offense after a takedown. He's one of the few guys who are rightfully called lay-n-pray fighters. Henderson is a workhorse with his offense on the ground and in the clinch. Frankie IS the best wrestler that Henderson has faced, I agree. Smooth however is the most complete (yes, more than Penn possibly) and pressuring fighter that Edgar has faced.

Edgar is a decision boxer but Henderson hasn't shown a propensity to truly hurt guys on the feet. And I don't consider their to be a significant disparity in Maynard's and Smooth's striking, just Henderson is a little more roundead in that department. Edgar is defensively too good and too active for Henderson to be the favourite IMO.

Haha a ''decision boxer'' is the absolute best way to describe Edgar. Fuck even he looked surprised he finished Maynard. One guy in this fight will be looking for a finish, the other guy will be working towards a decision. You may be forgetting that Henderson is black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Yes I know that TKD isn't always the best outlet for offensive striking in modern mma but it is a fall back and plenty of fighters use it as a base for successful striking (Pettis, Barry, Makdessi). He balances his striking very well with his wrestling, something that I think makes his fight IQ higher than Maynard's and that is a key here. I'm not saying that I think Henderson will KO or TKO Edgar in Japan. I also understand that Edgar deserves to be a favorite. I just think that Henderson is too big, too complete for Edgar. He will stun Edgar from the outside, clinch him against the cage, take him down and submit him. That's what I would put money on.

Didn't Chael say that he would fight anyone that Dana White put in front of him time and time again? He also said that he didn't like when people backed out of fights. Trust me, I'm a huge Chael fan, but him backing out of the fight with Munoz is kind of really going against his own word. Whatever, Chael vs. Miller would be fun, and Chael vs. Bisping would probably have the greatest buildup to a fight in UFC history.

Change your name to something more fitting. The Chael/Munoz fight is still happening, and if it didn't it wasn't because Chael backed out. Chael has and will fight whoever they put in front of him. He's not going to confirm a fight that the UFC hasn't confirmed yet, nothing wrong with swerving folks a bit. It's just him.

Also, for whoever asked why they put Bisping/Miller on free tv, they wouldn't have drawn at all as a main event for a numbered PPV. It was also kind of too big to put as anything but a co-main..they found a good middle ground. Too big for a low card spot, won't draw as a main event...put as a free main event. Good job.

I love the coaches fighting on the Finale. I feel that's best.

Anybody read Hendo's comments about Anderson's injury? He pretty much insinuated he is ducking both Hendo and Chael. I'm getting pretty fed up of Hendo talking about how he is so deserving of a rematch.

Change my name to something more fitting? haha

I just read Hendo's comments and that is really stupid. I don't think Silva would fake an injury at all, and especially not to dodge a guy who he tore about for 2 rounds before choking him out in their first fight.

Anybody read Hendo's comments about Anderson's injury? He pretty much insinuated he is ducking both Hendo and Chael. I'm getting pretty fed up of Hendo talking about how he is so deserving of a rematch.

Hendo's a great fighter and everything, but he's lost a ton of my respect lately.

You know, people bitch about the Brazilian fighters always making up excuses when they lose or have a bad performance, but Hendo is up there with Tito as the worst excuse maker in all of MMA. I still can't believe after the Shogun fight he claimed to have the flu... why the fuck mention that, seriously? And when he lost to Shields he had a bad back, when he lost to Anderson it was because of a bad weight cut, etc. And then to top it off, he's on TRT, which is the real reason why he's able to look as good as he does at this age.

Hendo's a fucking cry baby, and if he fought Anderson for the MW Championship, he'd get destroyed AGAIN. And I'm sure, he'll have his excuse(s) waiting in his back pocket to give out to the sheep on why he lost.

Thing is, it wasnt a remotely close fight. He mounted no offense what so ever the entire fight. He got outclassed by a far superior fighter. He has no claim at all to a rematch with Silva especially considering his previous fight at 185 was the Jake Shields fight where yet again, he got outclassed. He's just whining for attention.

Change my name to something more fitting? haha

I just read Hendo's comments and that is really stupid. I don't think Silva would fake an injury at all, and especially not to dodge a guy who he tore about for 2 rounds before choking him out in their first fight.

If by torn apart for two rounds, you mean Anderson lost the first, then okay. Anderson should have some very real fears about facing Hendo again. Not saying Hendo would win, but he showed he had the wrestling to control Anderson in the first fight and should have learned enough from that fight not to get submitted in the second again.

You got me there.

In other words, Charlie Brenneman vs. Daniel Roberts is targeted for ufc on fx 1 according to mma junkie. Hopefully Brenneman can fight backfrom that nasty KO loss to Rumble. It would be nice to see two AMA guys get much needed wins in one card.

Come on Indy, really? He got destroyed. Holding him on the ground with his hand over his mouth for two minutes shows nothing. The second round came and Anderson stuffed him and proceeded to bash his face in. I hate when people cling to that one round where Hendo did absolutly NOTHING at all. It's not like he can learn to not get submitted. When you get kneed and kicked in the face multiple times, you cant learn to do anything. He controlled him for two fucking minutes, stop acting like he gave such a tough and convincing performance.

Anderson_Silva_henderson.jpg

Hendo totally won the first round of the Silva fight though and stupidly deviated from the gameplan. If I were Anderson Silva, I wouldn't want to fight Hendo again, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would. He's the greatest American Fighter of all time.

Not sure if you guys saw this. It took place in Chicago, but I'd wager that the would-be victim was not Arlovski. The robber probably would have succeeded in knocking him out.

a3d8bb9495d265798846d444997bb9d6.jpg

Anthony Miranda, a 24-year-old from Chicago, allegedly attempted a robbery on the Southwest Side of the city late Friday night. Police say he strolled up to a parked car, asked the driver for a light, and then pulled out a handgun.

The driver was reportedly an MMA fighter, and a few minutes later, Miranda had a bullet in his ankle courtesy of his own gun, the battered mug you see above, and a court date. From the Tribune's report:

The man in the car replied that he didn't have a light, and the other man pulled out a handgun and demanded the driver's valuables, Mirabelli said. The driver handed over his cash, wallet and valuables, and the gunman then ordered him out of the car.

At some point, the older man was able to grab hold of the handgun, and during a struggle, the robber discharged a round, striking himself in the ankle, Mirabelli said.

His target, described only as an "older man," told police that he competes in Ultimate Fighting Championships. Chicago Police won't release his name, but if any loyal members of the Deadspin I-Team have any idea which MMA fighter beat the shit out of his would-be assailant in Chicago on Friday night, please let us know.

Hendo totally won the first round of the Silva fight though and stupidly deviated from the gameplan. If I were Anderson Silva, I wouldn't want to fight Hendo again, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would. He's the greatest American Fighter of all time.

Hendo showed in the Shogun fight though that he can't go past 3 Rounds. If he can't actually finish Silva early in the fight, then there's no way he'd win. Silva would absolutely put Hendo away in the later rounds.

And I'm sorry, but Hendo is not knocking Anderson Silva out.

i6PWuEmaOvMHa.gif

Hendo landed like 4 clean shots on Silva there and it didn't even phase him.

And this may be the most impressive thing I've ever seen:

10scc9y.gif

I'm not saying Anderson didn't beat the shit out of Hendo in the second round, hell it's been a long ass time since I watched that fight. But from what I remember, Hendo won that first round, regardless of it being him holding him down or not. This is a sport where you win by any means necessary, correct?

I agree with you there, but with his lack of offense on the ground and the fact that he couldn't take Silva down in the second proves my point. He's lucky he didn't get stood up in the first, no way an entire five rounds pisses away without one standup and that's all it takes. Hendo gasses after two anyway which makes it even tougher to hold Silva down like he did in the first round. Between his cardio issues and the fact that he can mount no offense does not bode well for him. The fight wasn't competitive, not by a long shot.

I still think Anderson would need to be weary of Hendo's wrestling. He adapted well in the first fight, but it is something he has to stuff or else Hendo will have a chance. That said, Hendo should not fight Anderson again. He should go after the LHW belt, I think he has a better chance of winning that one, though still a pretty small chance.

Not sure if you guys saw this. It took place in Chicago, but I'd wager that the would-be victim was not Arlovski. The robber probably would have succeeded in knocking him out.

I call Bonnar.

Munoz is the popular vote on Sherdog right now. My bet is the writer fucked up their facts and it was just someone who trains MMA, but isn't in the UFC.

With all of these awards threads starting to pop up, we should try to get some awards threads going in the MMA section.

Yeah, I was planning on doing an end of the year award thread series near the end of the month, with submissions from you guys throughout the month. Don't really want to put any up until after Reem vs. Lesnar though. Model it after the ones you did in years past.

I was going to say, we should wait until after Lesnar/Overeem and Jones/Machida.

I never like to accuse a fighter of ducking because there is so much going on behind the scenes that people don't see that attribute to how/when/why fights are booked. I will say though, just as I said with the Bones/Evans situation...it's weird. That's all I'm saying. I echo what jmt said about Hendo though, something about the guy kinda rubs me the wrong way especially lately. This streak he has been on has only one or two truly impressive aspects about it: beating Shogun and the Fedor win. I'll stick by my thoughts of the Fedor fought being stopped a little too early but I admit that can be my inner fanboy refusing to acknowledge things haha. Other than those two, the win over Babalu was okay but Sobral hasn't been a top player for a long time now and not to mention he beat him back when Babalu was more of a threat. The win over Cavalcante doesn't impress me that much either, not as much as it does with others it seems. Feijao is a legit competitor no doubt but I would put him around 15 or so in the LHW rankings. You can't argue with Shogun being a legit win, only that the fight should have been a draw.

I don't think for a second Dan would beat Anderson in a rematch. Henderson relies SO much on his overhand right nowadays. I don't blame him as it's pretty fucking potent but trying to land that big bomb on a guy who not only has some of if not the best striking defense on the sport but also a guy who's never been dropped really. Henderson doesn't mix up combos well at all and single power shots will NOT find their mark with Silva. Hendo on the other hand, though having a solid chin, doesn't have good striking defensively. I think Silva has to have focused on wrestling a lot more since Chael and Hendo doesn't have the wrestling (which I believe to be a bit overrated honestly) of Sonnen. He did well against Shogun because Rua is a lot like Cavalcante; both are berzerkers offensively but tend to stay in the pocket and back right up after throwing combos. That leads to them getting tagged. Shogun used a much more strategic plan against Lyoto than he did with Henderson and it cost him. Silva is always tactical, he won't make the mistakes Rua made.

Seems the UFC is going to Sweden. How much are y'all willing to bet that Gustassfon finds himself a nice little dance partner for this card. I'd like to see the winner of Nog/Ortiz for The Mauler. Or if they want to build him up a bit more before giving him someone that high up (despite him being ranked above both in my opinion) Vera is still around to be fed to someone.

Yeah, I was planning on doing an end of the year award thread series near the end of the month, with submissions from you guys throughout the month. Don't really want to put any up until after Reem vs. Lesnar though. Model it after the ones you did in years past.

That sounds excellent, I am pumped for that!

Also the UFC goin to Sweden sounds cool, it'd be fun to see Gustaffson get a co main spot and I'd say Vera would be a good opponent. I do think he's on another level compared to Vera but it'd be a good show and it'd make the fans happy.

Oh yeah, throw Papi Abedi in there as well if they decide to give him a second fight which I'm sure they will. There have been a big influx of newly signed foreign fighters lately, most of have which names I cannot pronounce so I'm not sure if any were from Sweden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back