• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA August - Where Frankie Edgar Needs 10 Rounds For A Title Defense

Bisping getting in on the action saying that he took a sonnen fight with a Weeks notice, yet Jones won't.

I still somewhat liked him until today.

Yea, because Jones should totally fucking fight a guy coming off a loss in another fucking division, who is 1-2 at 205 in the UFC, and hasn't fought there in years. It's fucking pathetic that people are pinning this shit on Jones. Sonnen doesn't deserve to iron Jones shorts at this point let alone fight him.

Seriously, the shit i've seen people say today has run me up a wall and seriously soured MMA for me, not because 151 was cancelled, but because of the mental capacity of many MMA fans and the UFC's own fucking president. I can deal with the fans saying stupid shit. I do frequent the Underground so i'm accustomed to it and usually ignore it, but for the UFC's own fucking president, the guy i've defended through thick and thin, to call Greg Jackson a "sport killer" is fucking disgraceful. God for fucking bid Jones and Jackson denied Chael Sonnen another un-warranted title shot. How fucking dare they. Seriously, Dana has shown his true colors today and i'm left with an absolutely sour taste in my mouth. It's a disgrace.

It's not about him not wanting to fight someone who doesn't deserve the fight, it's about turning it down(and fighting Lyoto at 151) when he's the champion and the fate of a card is at stake. When the main event is in trouble and it's 8 days away its not about who deserves it and who doesn't, it's about making a fight that's intriguing in that short time that fans will buy. If it were Chael, Lyoto, Gus or any other top 205er he would have said no and that is not the mark of a true champion. Fighters get injured and their opponents have to deal with it and fight someone else, they don't complain and the champion damn well shouldn't.

I don't give a fuck if people don't consider Jones a "true champion." It's stupid to take another fight on 8 days notice especially one as important as a title fight. If Jones lost to Sonnen, there goes his Nike deal, there goes everything he's worked so hard for. At this point in time, Jones has absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose in a fight against Sonnen. Jones gets into the cage and fights other men and he does it damn fucking well. That to me is a true champion.

So they're not going to change UFC 152 to UFC 151? LOL. I guess UFC 151 will just be a non-existent card that still somehow counts in the record books.

Also, regardless of what you think about Jon Jones, man... what about that Chael Sonnen? Here's a quote from Dana White:

Chael's been out there talking all this crazy shit about Jones, but he proved that he not only talks the talk, he walks the walk. I offered the fight to a couple of guys, and believe me when I tell you, nobody wants to fight Jon Jones on short notice. Nobody. But when I called Chael, that crazy fucker said, 'Not only will I fight him, but I'll get on a plane and fight him at Mandalay Bay tonight, if that's what you want.'

Chael definitely has the Bushido spirit in him. A true fighter and warrior. He has my utmost respect for life.

Also, regardless of what you think about Jon Jones, man... what about that Chael Sonnen? Here's a quote from Dana White:

Chael definitely has the Bushido spirit in him. A true fighter and warrior. He has my utmost respect for life.

I respect the hell out of Chael. I may talk a major amount of shit about him, but it's impossible not to respect him.

Most people can't separate Chael the fight promoter from Chael the man. Even though I'm not a fan of Chael the fight promoter, Chael the man has my respect and then some.

All this is going to do is add more fuel to the fire for Jones haters, and I can't say I blame them on this one.

Yea, because Jones should totally fucking fight a guy coming off a loss in another fucking division, who is 1-2 at 205 in the UFC, and hasn't fought there in years. It's fucking pathetic that people are pinning this shit on Jones. Sonnen doesn't deserve to iron Jones shorts at this point let alone fight him.

Jon Jones did the impossible today. Anderson Silva is no longer my least favorite fighter.

Jones absolutely deserves the blame here. The UFC needed to save the card. There are fighters who, while they'll still get paid their purse money, won't receive any chance at getting a win bonus, F/S/KOTN bonus, or sponsorship money, which is the biggest thing. Sure, some fights like Ellenberger/Hieron are getting re-booked. That being said, chances are, a fighter like Tim Means might have a harder time getting a new fight, plus, he misses out on the exposure of being on the FX prelims.

And let's not forget the collateral damage here. The Phil Davis/Wagner Prado prelim fight scheduled for UFC on FX probably just got bumped to the prelims. What about fans who planned their entire vacation around going to the event? Charlie Brenneman stated he might have a hard time making his rent payment, and he's a well-established fighter. What about the rest of the undercard guys? Joe Rogan had his comedy show at the Mandelay Bay the night before the card cancelled as well. Jones' DUCKING of Chael Sonnen is the cause for all of this.

Did Sonnen deserve a title shot? I'm a huge fan of his and even I'd say no. At the same time though, Dana said he was the only guy to step up and say he'd take the fight. It would have saved the card. Let's face it, Sonnen wouldn't have even had a training camp for this fight. It was a gimme for Jones, a potential easy win over a big name.

If you're the UFC Champion, you take on all comers. If Randy Couture, Chuck Liddell, Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin, or even Frankie Edgar were in this same position as the champion, they would have stepped up and taken on the new challenger.

Seriously, the shit i've seen people say today has run me up a wall and seriously soured MMA for me, not because 151 was cancelled, but because of the mental capacity of many MMA fans and the UFC's own fucking president. I can deal with the fans saying stupid shit. I do frequent the Underground so i'm accustomed to it and usually ignore it, but for the UFC's own fucking president, the guy i've defended through thick and thin, to call Greg Jackson a "sport killer" is fucking disgraceful. God for fucking bid Jones and Jackson denied Chael Sonnen another un-warranted title shot. How fucking dare they. Seriously, Dana has shown his true colors today and i'm left with an absolutely sour taste in my mouth. It's a disgrace.

Dana is the President of the UFC. He wants to make money. Jones vs. Sonnen would have been a huge money making fight, not only for the company, but for Jon Jones himself too. A lot of fans don't like Jones, he would have won a TON of fans today if he agreed to take on Sonnen. Instead, he lost whatever fanbase he may have had left (my brother for instance, casual fan, was a HUGE Jon Jones fan, now he thinks he's a "fucking pussy"). Because Jones wasn't confident in himself to beat Sonnen, the UFC will lose a ton of money. Again, I'm not kidding myself here, Sonnen likely would have gotten destroyed. This was an easy, easy win for Jones. I said it last week, the UFC's future success depends on Jon Jones' success. While the damage Jones has done to his career today isn't irreparable, it will take a while for him to rebuild his fanbase.

Furthermore, how pissed must Nike be right now? The Jones/Nike deal was going to roll out with this event.

Jones could have had the fight, made/kept everyone happy, and picked up an easy win over a guy with a huge name, no training camp, and coming off a TKO loss a month ago. Now he has to fight next month against another guy who he was trying to duck, Lyoto Machida, who is going to represent a much tougher fight than Chael given these circumstances.

By the way, which is the funniest day in UFC history?

1.) Chael's hearing with the CSAC and his wacky doctor
2.) Nick Diaz no-showing the UFC 137 press conference, capped with Cesar going to Nick's house to try to find him, only for Nick to jump out a back window
3.) Today

Finally, Chael proves why he's the best thing in this sport today...

"When I decided to go after the light heavyweight championship, I knew that I'd win it like I always do," Sonnen told Bleacher Report in an exclusive interview. "I just didn't know it would be by forfeit. But I do stand before you today the light heavyweight champion."

Funny thing is, apparently even Andy called Dana and said hed step up against a LHW to save the card, major major props to him. I'm very impressed by that and applaud him, unfortunately it was too late and now we have an even more one sided fight in favor of jones.

Wow... Vitor vs. Bones? That's interesting to say the least. I'm nowhere near the Jones hate bandwagon, but a big part of me wants Vitor to win. He's a great and very exciting fighter. and he's a very good person on top of that. I highly doubt he does, though. He stands as much of a chance as Hendo did... he needs one big punch, but that's a hard thing to accomplish against a guy like Bones.

And props to Anderson. Hopefully people stop painting him as a coward now.

This has been the most hilarious 24 hours in MMA history. Considering that Belfort isn't exactly durable, we could be back in this dilemma in two Weeks.

Rooting hard for Vitor.

Dana said the reason why Jones/Sonnen wasn't re-booked, btw, is because he owes Mandalay Bay a big fight after what transpired.

In other words, I bet if Jones and Sonnen both win their respective next fights, that's your Super Bowl weekend main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back