• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA June - 50 Shades of Gray

I chuckled when I saw the results.

Don't think Hioki losing is bad for the sport in the slightest. Nobody outside the hardcores care about him and KZ is flying up the ranks. I really do not care.

Hioki and KZ were the only names left in the UFC Featherweight Division worth a damn to challenge Aldo. Hioki losing is absolutely bad for the sport since Aldo needs all the worthy contenders he can get right now with the lack of depth in his division. You guys should not enjoy seeing "hype jobs" lose unless it's to a champion, otherwise the champion runs out of fresh faces to contend against him. The fact of the matter is, Aldo's prime years are going to waste if he doesn't get legit challengers.

And holy shit, wait to you guys watch the monstrosity that was Maynard vs. Guida. Reading the results will no way give justice to just how fucking awful that fight truly was.

I won't watch that fight. I'm going to steer clear for as long as I can. As for Hioki losing, it was made clear in his fight against "the poop" that he wasn't ready for a title shot even though most gave him the benefit of the doubt seeing as it was his first fight in the UFC. Fact of the matter is, nobody in the UFC is a challenge to Aldo at 145. I've firmly believed that for quite a while, but many believed Hioki would take the belt. Seeing as Hioki lost, it's evident the UFC needs to sign Curran and Pitbull from Bellator. With these two guys, you add two names to the FW division with one in line for a title shot if you keep Aldo at 145. If you set Aldo loose at 155, you have added two potential champions to take his place. 145 needs a stable star, Aldo is not that, bigger things await him at 155. Add Curran to the roster and I firmly believe you have that star to build the division around once Aldo moves up in weight. Nobody in the UFC is capable of taking the division off Aldo's shoulders, the UFC needs to do some heavy recruiting to find somebody that can because Aldo simply cannot stay at 145 for much longer. He has absolutly no challengers but can't leave because nobody is ready to take the division from him. It's a delicate situation that will become a reality after Aldo fights KZ. The UFC better start planning.

Maynard just saying fuck it was epic though. Deserves a lot of credit and his little tantrum about Guida's unwillingness to fight was the most entartaining moment of the fight. It actually made me chuckle.

He made me a fan.

What needs to happen is that the UFC needs to talk more guys into moving down to 145 from 155.

And whatever, Hioki lost in the first place vs. Roop and he beat Bartimus after which earned him the title shot... when you get offered a title shot, you take it and run. If Hioki was the hands down #2, then what was he waiting for?

And Guida was running away the entire fight? Was he Kalib Starnes-ing?

What needs to happen is that the UFC needs to talk more guys into moving down to 145 from 155.

And whatever, Hioki lost in the first place vs. Roop and he beat Bartimus after which earned him the title shot... when you get offered a title shot, you take it and run. If Hioki was the hands down #2, then what was he waiting for?

And Guida was running away the entire fight? Was he Kalib Starnes-ing?

I don't know that there's any smallish 55ers that match up all that well with Aldo either. Maybe Edgar, but that's about it, and Frankie has said numerous times he doesn't really have a desire to go down. He doesn't really cut much weight and he doesn' want to start doing that.

And Guida was employing the Carlos Condit vs. Nick Diaz esque stick and move game plan, except he wasn't sticking before he moved and he wasn't landing the combos on the way out like Carlos did either.

All he basically did was get a great cardio workout in, lulz.

From the gifs I watched of the fight, it seems this was the first time Gray has ever showed a hint of personality. That's a big step up for him considering how bland he has always seemed.

It was pretty terrible and the fact that it was the main event made it worse but it wasnt on Starnes level of fail. He was trying to stick to the game plan and he ran a little too much rather than avoid but stay just out of Gray's reach. Ok it was more than a little but you get what im sayin, I think he's so used to his normal approach of fuck you I'm coming forward that he over adjusted. Props to Gray though, I would have lost my cool much sooner and his reaction made the fight bearable.

Gray finally stepped up in the 4th and made half a round exciting, but it still doesn't make me forget how lame he fought the rest of the fight. He deserves as much blame as Guida, IMO.

Personally though, I'm starting to believe it isn't the fighters, or even Greg Jackson who's to blame, but the UFC's system. We're seeing more and more fights like this, and that's because of their winner gets paid and loser gets cut system. I think it's also why we've been seeing so many fighters back out due to injury lately. Why should these guys risk losing a fight because of an injury when they're only getting 9K to fight, and could possibly get cut if they have a bad showing? I think most of these guys could fight with the injuries they get, but choose not to since the reward and risk isn't worth it. The UFC needs to start paying their fighters better and needs to send a clear message that running and lnp will not be accepted. Fox has to be completely disgusted with what they've gotten from the UFC at this point.

Also, back to Hioki... if you guys watch the 1st round, Hioki made this transition to the Omoplata that was a prime example of why he has the fanbase he has. I don't think anybody else in MMA could have made such a smooth, beautiful transition into a submission attempt so quickly like that.

The most saddening thing about that fight though was that Hioki would have easily won it if he simply threw some punches and elbows while he was on top. In the 2nd and 3rd Rounds when he took Lames down, he looked to pass guard instantly but Lames did a great job of securing full guard and attempting Guillotines. Had Hioki simply kept his head up and threw down some ground and pound when in Lames full guard instead of just laying there waiting to make a move, he would have SURELY won the fight.

Hioki lost to Hioki yesterday, and that's the most disappointing thing about it. I'm sticking by it was horrible for the sport that he lost. The Featherweight Division is an important one and it was a shame to see one of the best fighters in it lose to a nobody who will never come close to getting a title shot.

Ever since the addition of fight insurance the amount of injury pull outs has gone up a bit, but once we started having 3 or 4 cards a month the injuries started happening more frequently.

I'm split on Hioki. On the one hand he lost to himself, thats pretty much correct. So the last best chance challenger to Aldo goes down. On the other hand he has been pretty lackluster since his debut. I believe he beat Roop but it was a closer fight than it should have. At this point we are down to guys like Koch and KZ who have a puncher's chance but not much else. Koch is too one dimensional and while KZ has show marked improvement in his last few fights I still feel like he is a long way away from being able to hang 5 with Aldo

I 100 percent agree that it's not even Jackson's game plans or the fighters but the UFC's system. If guys we're afraid of getting cut/ winning even if it's boring we'd see triple the awesome fights we normally do. I don't pretend to know exactly what the UFC needs to do with all their business but something really needs to be done so we don't see shit like this anymore.

The best fight Aldo could have right now is Edgar if he could be convinced to drop, I still think Aldo would rape him with his leg kicks but it'd be a great fight and one much more marketable than Koch or KZ.

After the amazing Ortiz/Lopez boxing fight on Showtime, I was in the mood for some more combat sports so I streamed the UFC tonight.

I was disappointed Werdum fought so early on the card. I thought he was the fucking co-main event? Well I missed it, but I was still glad to hear Werdum won.

The two TUF fights were AWFUL. Like, truly horrible.

And Wandy vs. Rich was pretty good. Wandy almost finished Rich in the 2nd, but gassed himself out doing so. But Rich deserves a lot of credit for surviving, and he also showed some of the best boxing I've ever seen in an MMA fight. Condit and Guida need to watch Rich and see that's how you use footwork in MMA.

But props to both Rich and Wandy. Two legends, and two of the classiest men in the sport. I hope Rich has one more run left in him. Would love to see Rich vs. Gustafsson next. As far as Wandy... I guess the Vitor fight still makes some sense, but if he loses that one, then it's definitely time for him to hang it up.

Yeah, I started watching with the TUF Fights. Both of them were pretty bland but the Middleweight fight at least had an exciting second round. The third was unfortunately, a staring contest.

And I loved Rich vs. Wandy. I think that might be up there as far as a FOTY candidate goes. Rich deserves to get one more run at the Middleweight Title, and I think Franklin vs. Bisping would be an excellent fight.

Franklin/Bisping would be a pretty good fight. Franklin is the type of guy who should have success against Bisping though. A guy who can be aggressive on the feet and pressure him. Look at Wand, Hendo, and Hamill..yeah he lost that fight...all guys who pressure him with solid striking.

This was a pretty sweet promo poster, posted on the UFC Facebook page

181859_10151038884431276_509259444_n.jpg

Bisping & Ace would be a cool fight too see, it'd be interesting to see who's game plan would work best. Personally....I think Brian Stann vs Franklin would be very exciting, like Franklin Wand but with more of a chance of Rich being finished. I'll admit I want that so Brian has a nice win over a former champ but it works out well since both are coming off their first win since a loss and Brian will probably be back from injury before Bisping based on what each of them have said about their return time.

Andy on Sonnen earlier today, according to DW "I'm gonna break his face & knock all his teeth out & beat him like his parents should have"

One of two things are going to happen now:
1)Andy comes out and rapes Chael
2)He does what he did the last time he was pissed at someone and tries to make it go 5 rounds so he can "Punish" him like with Maia and ends up not doing much. Depends on how his anger effects his fighting, should be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back