Old School Ask A Question Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... why did the WWF buy WCW & ECW? If TNA weren't operating, Vince would have a nice, big antitrust suit going against him... Then again that might not happen. The rasslin' business isn't as important to the economy as the Operating System business was... sorry I mentioned it. :D

Okay... why did the WWF buy WCW & ECW?
Since the rest of your post was nonsense, I'll just reply to this.

Why did the WWF buy WCW and ECW? Let me answer your question with a question. Why not?

Considering they got their two biggest rivals for basement bargain prices, why not?

I guess it would have been possible for WWF to secretly acquire WCW & keep it running. You know, pretend they were still competing with each other? I generally think competition is good for business. Look at Coke & Pepsi. And basically the "ECW" that is now promoted by the WWE is... Imagine if Coke bought Pepsi. Then they completely changed the recipe for Pepsi so that it no longer tasted like Pepsi any more. Well, the current ECW just doesn't "taste" like the old ECW.

So... makes sense?

It doesnt violate anti trust laws, becuause WCW and ECW werent the ONLY other corporations operating. there are hundreds, probably THOUSANDS of wrestling promotions, in the US alone. Just becuase you havent heard of them, doesnt mean they dont exist. And I do not belive that TNA was even in existance, or any bigger than an indy promotion when WWE purchased WCW and ECW anyway.

I have a couple of questions about Tank Abbott.

1) When did he officially start with wcw?
2) When did he leave wcw? I know it was before wwe bought them, but what month in 2000?

I have a couple of questions about Tank Abbott.

1) When did he officially start with wcw?
2) When did he leave wcw? I know it was before wwe bought them, but what month in 2000?

Tank Abbot officially signed with WCW in 1999. He didn't leave in 2000, but in 2001.

I was just watching Mid South Wrestling dvd called Giants, Midgets, Heroes, and Villains II and they had footage of Vince McMahon interviewing Andre the Giant. How is it that Watts has footage of a McMahon/Andre interview?

I was just watching Mid South Wrestling dvd called Giants, Midgets, Heroes, and Villains II and they had footage of Vince McMahon interviewing Andre the Giant. How is it that Watts has footage of a McMahon/Andre interview?

There is no definate answer to your question.

Ok 2 questions.....do u remember the 06 royal rumble that had cena and batista at the end? i heard a rumor that when they did luger/hart double elimination thing that it was a botched ending.is that true? my next question is why did christian and the dudleys leave wwe? from where i was standing it looked like they were gonna do cena/christian b4 the draft

Ok 2 questions.....do u remember the 06 royal rumble that had cena and batista at the end? i heard a rumor that when they did luger/hart double elimination thing that it was a botched ending.is that true? my next question is why did christian and the dudleys leave wwe? from where i was standing it looked like they were gonna do cena/christian b4 the draft

Yes Cena/Batista at RR 06 botched at the end

Christian contract expired in Oct. 05 & didnt want to sign a new contract
WWE decided not to resign the Dudleys after ONS 05

Yes, the ending of the 2006 Royal Rumble was fixed.

Christian left the WWE because his contract expired, and he rejected WWE's offer for a renewal. As for the Dudleys, their contracts also expired, but the WWE didn't offer a renewal.

Edit: Damn it, CM. You beat me to it.

the cena, batista finish was in 05 not 06 rey mysterio won it in 06

my question is has there been any talk of if the dudley's will ever be allowed to call themselves the dudley's in TNA or do they not really care anymore?

the cena, batista finish was in 05 not 06 rey mysterio won it in 06

my question is has there been any talk of if the dudley's will ever be allowed to call themselves the dudley's in TNA or do they not really care anymore?
The Dudley Boyz can't use the "Dudley Boyz" name, because WWE now owns the name, so unless they come back to the WWE you won't be seeing them as the Dudley Boyz anytime soon.

thanks for the response i knew WWE owned the name to it but i heard somewhere they were going to court trying to get control over the name but that was a while back so i wasnt sure what was going on with it anymore.

When Eric Bishoff was announced as the new GM on RAW was that actually a well kept suprise? I wasn't watching WWE at the time and wasn't up to date on all the internet stories.

When Eric Bishoff was announced as the new GM on RAW was that actually a well kept suprise? I wasn't watching WWE at the time and wasn't up to date on all the internet stories.

According to Eric Bischoff in his book, it was indeed a well kept surprise.

thanks for the response i knew WWE owned the name to it but i heard somewhere they were going to court trying to get control over the name but that was a while back so i wasnt sure what was going on with it anymore.
Well they've been out of the WWE for almost three years now, so i'm sure if they were going to court about it, they would of done it by now.

The Dudley Boyz can't use the "Dudley Boyz" name, because WWE now owns the name, so unless they come back to the WWE you won't be seeing them as the Dudley Boyz anytime soon.

Naming rights, or rights to certain nicknames, is tough for wrestler's to get because WWE ties those names up legally for their marketing and promotion. Prior to the wrestling explosion in the mid 80's this was never a problem as wrestlers traveled from promotion to promotion using their stage names where ever they went. In 1989 WWE unsuccessfully sued Ricky Steamboat for using the "Dragon" nickname and specific ring entrance when he went the NWA/WCW. WWE claimed they created the nickname and popularized it thru their programming but Steamboat proved that the name and character actually were his creation in the NWA prior to joining WWE in 1984/85. After that WWE retained the rights to specific monikers, trademarking them.

This became a negotiating point in contract talks with more established main event wrestlers as guys like Randy "Macho Man" Savage, "Hulkamania" Hulk Hogan, and later Brett "The Hitman" Hart all asked for and received their naming rights. Scott Hall aka Razor Ramoan and Kevin Nash aka Diesel did not have trademark rights on their monikers which is why they did not use them when they went to WCW in 1996. WCW I believe trademarked "The Total Package", so Lex Luger was alternately "The Narcicist" and later "The All American" during his WWE run from 1993-1995.

WWE was hesitant to use "The Nature Boy" moniker for Ric Flair in 1991 because it was unclear if WCW had a patent on it or not but his character was clearly his creation from the mid 70's. There was also a related law suit at the time as WCW sued Flair and WWE for using it's World Title Belt on their programming in 1991. Flair actually had enough proof to show ownership of the physical belt and that WCW owed him several thousand dollars in deposit fees (money laid out by wrestlers when they were champ to insure they would not lose or damage the belt) that they settled out of court and paid Flair to get the belt back. Prior to the settlement WWE referred to Flair in their programing and merchandise as "The Real World Champion" but afterwards he used the Nature Boy nickname.

The Dudleys must have signed over trademark rights on that name when they signed originally with WWE as I believe they used that name in ECW. Not sure how all that played out.

Since the rest of your post was nonsense, I'll just reply to this.

Why did the WWF buy WCW and ECW? Let me answer your question with a question. Why not?

Considering they got their two biggest rivals for basement bargain prices, why not?

WWE never wanted to keep either WCW or ECW running as separate companies. They wanted full legal access to their extensive video libraries of tv shows and ppv events. With WCW they got footage dated back to the Georgia Championship Wrestling Show in the 1970's, plus every WCW Sat Night show on TBS, every Starrcade, Great American Bash, and SuperBrawl PPV, etc. ECW wasn't around as long but they definately had a niche following making their library worth purchasing.

Why want the videos ? Easy, DVD marketing. WWE has re-done DVD collections for top stars such Shawn Michaels and Steve Austin to include footage from their pre-WWE days, none of which was previously available on DVD, most of which hasn't been seen since it was originally broadcast. Think of the total sales for the ECW DVD collection and the first Ultimate Ric Flair set, two of the biggest non-wrestlemania DVD sellers in company history. They also made nice profits on their "Greatest Steel Cage Match" collection and "History Of The Monday Night Wars" set, and Hulk Hogan Anthology and Four Horsemen set. There have also been less sucessful but profitable DVD sets for World Class Championship Wrestling and the AWA.

Simply put, the initial outlay of funds to purchase the rights to these videos is low compared to the amount of products that can be sold from them and the profits enjoyed. These sets require minimal production costs and in fact the footage was produced and edited by another promotion, all money saved by WWE.

Currently WWE is rumored to be working on a DVD retrospective on Curt Henning, a former AWA World Champ, WCW US Champ, and WWE Intercontinental Champ who had high profile feuds in each company. He teamed with both Scott Hall and Larry Zybysco in the AWA, and was a member of the Bobby Heenan Family in WWE and the NWO in WCW. A collection combining the best of his work in all three promotions would be an absolute collector item and it never would have been possible if WWE didn't have the accompanying video libraries. There were rumors that there might be a Randy Savage set and another Flair collection (his career is big enough to support three collections). Considering that anywhere from half to two thirds of the footage for any one of these sets was produced outside WWE at no cost to them the profit margin is huge and overall production costs minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back