• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE RAW LD 2/27/2012 - We've Heard About Cena Rising Above Hate, But Can Dwayne?

I really don't care about twitter. Rock is more popular among the IWC than Cena is. Not a shocking revelation. Of course a good percentage of the IWC thinks Hogan sucked too so pardon me if I don't take their opinion too seriously.

I'm sorry, but this excuse is getting old. Maybe if both men had been in a single city that went for Cena over Rock, I could buy into it... maybe. But, that hasn't happened.

Everyone thinks Rock is this fantastic promo guy, he's not. 99% of his promos were written for him, he just had the charisma to pull them off. When he's just given free reign, like tonight, to say what he wants because he's The Rock...it blows chunks. Has done since, since his first return last year or something. If they didn't just allow him to go out and spew nonsense about Twitter and make shit up on the fly...and give him concrete bullet points, he'd have been awesome.

I'm pretty sure Wrestlemania and the match were only mentioned after Cena came out. Which is fucking stupid

I said the Rock had charisma and yes,he is talented. Nobody can deliver a (already written) promo better.

You're missing my point. You're argument is that Rock has all of his promos written for him. Plenty of guys in WWE have their promos for them. Guys who actually have a natural charisma; these aren't uncharismatic people. Dolph Ziggler comes to my head immediately, so does Wade Barrett. They don't have Rock's charisma, but they have charisma.

But the writing for their promos completely submarines any real talent these men have. Because the truth is, without some input from guys, the writing for wrestlers usually sucks. It takes a guy like Rock, Mankind, Taker, who have input, that will make the writers write decent stuff. Hell, when Jericho i's working on a big program, he'll usually do it with the guy he's working with.

Why? Because more often than not, the writing team sucks. It's usually smart wrestlers that can bail them out

I'm sorry, but this excuse is getting old. Maybe if both men had been in a single city that went for Cena over Rock, I could buy into it... maybe. But, that hasn't happened.

It hasn't happened because Rock is always a special attraction. Of course the crowd is going to side with him when he makes one if his rare appearances in their city. If Rock was around every week he would lose a lot of support. It's happened before. He may still be more popular than Cena, but it wouldn't be so one sided.

Look it you quoting me and changing my words. You're a clever one. What did Rock say tonight that impressed you?

As clever as you were with what the Rock said :shrug:

The Rock impressed me with the reaction he got and that is really all that matters. Content-wise I thought the first half of his promo was significantly more interesting than most are giving him credit for, ironically because it was different than his usual style. His delivery wasn't textbook Rock tonight but I think more of that was by design than people realize.

I agree. I think when Cena called him out on the notes on his wrist, he lost a bit of his edge. If that was a work, and Dwayne meant for me to get that, he's a better actor than I've ever given him credit for.

I don't think that part was scripted.

This is how I felt at first as well, but the more I think about it, the more I'm certain it was good writing and The Rock displaying brilliant acting.

For one thing, as someone mentioned, you don't flash the notes on HD television. You just don't do it. And if this was a regular thing for The Rock, it would have been spotted by now and the IWC would be relentless with it.

Secondly, what has always separated The Rock from guys like HHH, The Undertaker, Steve Austin, etc. is that he is willing to make himself look vulnerable for the good of the program. He has no problem whatsoever putting people over, whether in matches or promos. I doubt anyone can name a top draw who got defeated as many times as The Rock did regularly.

So, yeah... I can see The Rock willingly make himself look bad by putting the notes on his wrist and stuttering and looking like he's on the verge of having tears. He's just that kind of person, and it's one of the many reasons why he's so awesome.

It hasn't happened because Rock is always a special attraction. Of course the crowd is going to side with him when he makes one if his rare appearances in their city.

I guess. Then again, there's a flip side to that - this wasn't exactly Rock's first trip back. For months now, Cena has beaten the drum for Rock being a selfish, lying prick. He's told us time and time again about Rock leaving, and not really caring about us. If that can't help in one city, the cause is lost. Fans cheer Rock over Cena because the majority think he's better than Cena. That's been rather evident thus far.

If Rock was around every week he would lose a lot of support. It's happened before.

To Cena? Against Cena? No, he wouldn't.

He may still be more popular than Cena, but it wouldn't be so one sided.

He is more popular than Cena. That's a fact, not a possibility. I don't mean to be such a jerk about this, but seriously, if I just read what most of you guys were saying about this feud for the past year, I'd think Rock was Brooklyn Brawler terrible. It's just not true.

The Rock impressed me with the reaction he got and that is really all that matters. Content-wise I thought the first half of his promo was significantly more interesting than most are giving him credit for, ironically because it was different than his usual style. His delivery wasn't textbook Rock tonight but I think more of that was by design than people realize.

I didn't change what Rock said:shrug:

I am just amused by how Rock is some sort of promo God when he does the things Cena gets criticized for. He kisses the crowd's ass more than Cena does. He has jokes that are just as lame as Cena's. It would be nice if people would just tell the truth and say they cheer for Rock because he was a star when they were kids and they're on a little nostalgia kick.

Steve-Buscemi-awards-reaction.gif

if I just read what most of you guys were saying about this feud for the past year, I'd think Rock was Brooklyn Brawler terrible. It's just not true.

You could say the same about people who criticize Cena. What's happening here is fans of both guys are in such a defensive mode to support their own guy that they end up over criticizing the other guy. The truth is both Rock and Cena are great perfromers. I think Cena supporters are a little more willing to give credit to the Rock but Rock supporters seem to refuse to give Cena any credit at all.

It hasn't happened because Rock is always a special attraction. Of course the crowd is going to side with him when he makes one if his rare appearances in their city. If Rock was around every week he would lose a lot of support. It's happened before. He may still be more popular than Cena, but it wouldn't be so one sided.
"if". But if Rock was still full-time, that would mean he wasn't talented enough to become a movie star. Which means that he wouldn't have been as electrifying in his prime.

Because The Rock is The Rock, is why he's a movie star and not a wrestler. So any "if" scenario is pointless. (if my aunt had balls...)

100% by design. He's been in front of crowds since ladyboy was in a frat at his private college. Rock doesn't get nervous. His nerves were 100% acting. Like when he couldnt believe that SCSA kicked out of the p. elbow at WMXV. Acting.

Once again, Rock is cooperating with Vince too much. He deserves better, he made (and will again April 1) Vince millions.

I didn't change what Rock said:shrug:

I am just amused by how Rock is some sort of promo God when he does the things Cena gets criticized for. He kisses the crowd's ass more than Cena does. He has jokes that are just as lame as Cena's. It would be nice if people would just tell the truth and say they cheer for Rock because he was a star when they were kids and they're on a little nostalgia kick.

I think there's some part you're right with there. I'd also argue that Rock has better delivery, even with bad stuff. You're right in that they do similar things. But there's something to Rock's delivery that makes me enjoy it more. Cena can't always make bad stuff sound good; Rock can. That's really the difference between the two

Are you trolling me? I asked you to explain how I'm trolling and instead you've just called me a troll again for no reason.

you said the rock does exactly what cena does, and kisses the crowds ass. Rock is a face, EVERY face kisses the crowds ass. You said rock makes lame jokes like cena? Whether you find rock funny or not is subjective, but there's no denying that the rock entertains unlike cena or anyone in the wwe for that matter. Listen to that pop, listen to that crowd reaction. Like rock said its all about being entertaining and cena isn't.

This is how I felt at first as well, but the more I think about it, the more I'm certain it was good writing and The Rock displaying brilliant acting.

For one thing, as someone mentioned, you don't flash the notes on HD television. You just don't do it. And if this was a regular thing for The Rock, it would have been spotted by now and the IWC would be relentless with it.

Secondly, what has always separated The Rock from guys like HHH, The Undertaker, Steve Austin, etc. is that he is willing to make himself look vulnerable for the good of the program. He has no problem whatsoever putting people over, whether in matches or promos. I doubt anyone can name a top draw who got defeated as many times as The Rock did regularly.

So, yeah... I can see The Rock willingly make himself look bad by putting the notes on his wrist and stuttering and looking like he's on the verge of having tears. He's just that kind of person, and it's one of the many reasons why he's so awesome.

The only problem with that is that he was legitimately flustered after Cena called him out on it. I really don't think he knew it was going to happen.

Read Rock's book. I say this to everyone. Rock talks about writing his promos in it. He talks about coming up with ideas while out to dinner with his wife, while in bed, etc. He was always coming up with crap and molding promos throughout the week. He's the late 90's Macho Man in the sense that everything had to be planned out beforehand so that it would come off well.

I believe tonight he did that but knowing he'd struggle a bit, he put some notes on his arm. With that giant ass tattoo and dark lighting, maybe it would hide it. It didn't and Cena called him on it. Rock didn't know it was coming as this was two professionals who didn't practice this segment earlier today as, you know, Cena was on a plane to get to the show. Thus, Rock got flustered and the last part of the promo really didn't look good.

Bottom line though is that I have watched wrestling all my life. Heck, Rock is the guy who got me back into wrestling in 1998 when I had taken a hiatus from watching as a kid. He was my guy. I loved him and hated Austin. I used to look forward to his promos each week knowing they'd all be awesome. Unfortunately, that's no longer the case. His promo style worked years ago but it doesn't work now. Yes, the crowd still does what it should for him because he's a part timer and a legend. Roddy Piper comes out these days and he rambles and the crowd pops! You can't use crowd reaction when referring to a legend. Use your judgment.

By using mine, this Rock fan can tell you that this was Rock's worst promo ever. I thought some last year before Mania weren't great, but this was bad. Weak arguments and quick topic changes so people don't focus on the fact that he really had nothing as far as being serious. Cena came out and for the two minutes he was out there, the thing had life. Cena saved the segment and then threw Rock back into the ocean where he proceeded to drown before his "if ya smell".

If Rock was The Miz cutting that promo, you'd say it sucked, it was awful, etc. Because it was the Rock and because his feud is against Cena, people are trying to give him the benefit of the doubt instead of committing the worst sin on the planet......acknowledging Cena's talent. Cena's been the more impressive one in this feud and honestly, it's not even close.

You could say the same about people who criticize Cena. What's happening here is fans of both guys are in such a defensive mode to support their own guy that they end up over criticizing the other guy.

I'm not even bashing Cena at this point. To be honest, I'm liking Cena more now than I have at any other point during his career. So much so, I don't even fastforward his segments anymore :)

He's doing well, actually. However, it's almost as if PG era/Cena marks feel this burning need to convince the world Cena's doing well, and Rock sucks. Why? I don't get it. They're basically saying the same shit over and over again, and delivering it well. To read how Cena is blowing Rock away is laughable. It's fucking laughable.

I think Cena supporters are a little more willing to give credit to the Rock but Rock supporters seem to refuse to give Cena any credit at all.

Have you read these LD's each time Rock shows up? Are you serious? Cena fans hate The Rock. They hate him so much in fact that they've convinced themselves he's not doing a good job.

Anyone that actually believes Cena calling out the notes on Rock's wrist wasn't pre-planned is getting a bit too caught up in the work. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

If Rock was The Miz cutting that promo, you'd say it sucked, it was awful, etc.

Lol... if it was The Miz the crowd wouldn't have been anywhere close to being as into it as they were.

Dude, how can you say that promo sucked when the fans in attendance ate up every word of it? They fucking loved it. They loved him.

Also, I'm not one of the clowns disrespecting Cena here. I thought he was awesome, as per usual when he's not using kiddy or potty humor.

However, I don't buy the fact that Cena would disrespect the business by calling The Rock out something like that, nor do I think The Rock isn't capable of making a better response to it. It was planned; I'm positive of it.

I'm not even bashing Cena at this point. To be honest, I'm liking Cena more now than I have at any other point during his career. So much so, I don't even fastforward his segments anymore :)

He's doing well, actually. However, it's almost as if PG era/Cena marks feel this burning need to convince the world Cena's doing well, and Rock sucks. Why? I don't get it. They're basically saying the same shit over and over again, and delivering it well. To read how Cena is blowing Rock away is laughable. It's fucking laughable.

Have you read these LD's each time Rock shows up? Are you serious? Cena fans hate The Rock. They hate him so much in fact that they've convinced themselves he's not doing a good job.

Not specifically saying you're bashing Cena. Just a generalization. Cena marks need to feel the need to convince people he's doing well because his critics automatically will say he sucks no matter what he does. In my opinion Cena has blown Rock away because he has done a better job with the serious promo. Rock has done fine with his usually hyper comedy schtick and that's fine. I prefer the more serious Cena. I even prefer Cena's insults toward the Rock over Rock's to Cena's. There is always truth to what Cena says. That makes a promo more effective than saying something ridiculous like Kung Pow Bitch or Fruity Pebbles.

you said the rock does exactly what cena does, and kisses the crowds ass. Rock is a face, EVERY face kisses the crowds ass. You said rock makes lame jokes like cena? Whether you find rock funny or not is subjective, but there's no denying that the rock entertains unlike cena or anyone in the wwe for that matter. Listen to that pop, listen to that crowd reaction. Like rock said its all about being entertaining and cena isn't.

Ok but you still haven't explained how I'm trolling.

Rock is great. I think Cena has been better. I might have laughed at Kung Pow Bitch in 1999. It's not that funny in 2012.

Ok but you still haven't explained how I'm trolling.

Rock is great. I think Cena has been better. I might have laughed at Kung Pow Bitch in 1999. It's not that funny in 2012.

To put simple, you're simply just saying things for a reaction. There's always people on a forum who want to go against the grain and be "different" just because they can. And that's you.

To put in simple, you're simply just saying things for a reaction. There's always people on a forum who want to go against the grain and be "different" just because they can. And that's you.

How do you figure? Because I have a different opinion than you do I'm trolling? I didn't realize I had to think the same as everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back