*MERGED* [OFFICIAL] The Nexus General Discussion thread

What Should Happen?

• Continue With 5 Members

• Reinstate Darren Young With The Group

• Recruit Rookies from NXT Season II

• Recruit Wrestler(s) From The Locker Room

• Disban

Results are only viewable after voting.
You know, during all of the beatdowns and segments, I have been very impressed with Justin Gabriel. When I first saw him, it never even crossed my mind that he’d be able to work as a heel. “He’s too handsome, too flashy”, I told myself. “His finishing move is made to get the crowd to pop. He’d never be a good heel.”.

Boy, was I wrong.

Gabriel’s cold, calculating look before and after he hits the 450 is amazing. It shows real emotion and character. The fact that he manages to get crowds to boo such a uniquely entertaining move is very impressive. Even his promos haven’t been that bad. He’s not the best on the mic, but he can certainly talk better than Young, and he has a great accent to boot.

I believe he'd make a good Intercontinental Champion some day as part of this group.

You know, during all of the beatdowns and segments, I have been very impressed with Justin Gabriel. When I first saw him, it never even crossed my mind that he’d be able to work as a heel. “He’s too handsome, too flashy”, I told myself. “His finishing move is made to get the crowd to pop. He’d never be a good heel.”.

Boy, was I wrong.

Gabriel’s cold, calculating look before and after he hits the 450 is amazing. It shows real emotion and character. The fact that he manages to get crowds to boo such a uniquely entertaining move is very impressive. Even his promos haven’t been that bad, either. He’s not the best on the mic, but he can certainly talk better than Young, and he has a great accent to boot.

I believe he'd make a good Intercontinental Champion some day as part of this group.

I have to agree with Doc here. Gabriel has been really impressive. We saw on NXT Season 1 that he could wrestle, so that is already down. He is now showing us week in and week out that he can play a heel. He looks so cold and calculating, and what even adds more to it is that he has always seemed like a genuine good, nice guy. He just seems so menacing coming down on that 450, he hits it picture perfect. I mean, it is a finisher that is flashy and high-flying, yet one that he has managed to get booed. It also looks very impactful and looks like it'd put an opponet down for the three count. He also isn't bad on the microphone, even though the accent is somewhat annoying. I think this kid could become something we haven't seen in awhile, at least not that I can remember: I cold, calculating dark heel, yet one that is high-flying, flashy, yet impactful. I see good things in this kids future.

It's no secret of mine that I'm a big fan of this guy since the first time I saw him on NXT. I thought they could have utilised him better than they did with the gimmick they gave him, but it wasn't a problem overall as he's, as we all know, back now.

That said, I'm not suggesting that he may be the leader, or he should be in some sort of co-leadership role with Wade Barrett at all. It's more that I can't help noticing him in every promo or attack that the Nexus are involved in now. I don't know if it's just his over the top anger, but he always has a look of intensity to him. Easier than me trying to explain what I mean, I'll show the exact moment which made me want to create this thread:

[youtube]Dj5iLYnnkt8[/youtube]

At about 43 seconds in this video, Tarver has an almost manic look-obviously he has a kind of psychotic character which has been done before, but I find that he just commands attention whenever he is there. Even when he's not involved in the action, he's always doing something-at about 3:28 he's the first to start yelling at McMahon.

Anyway, I feel like I'm just rambling now. The point is, I do feel that (aside from Barrett) he is definitely a focal point in the group. When they do a segment where they all speak a piece, he always seems to be one of the most interesting.

I feel I should ask some questions though:

• Do you agree that he has something to offer in the Nexus storyline? While a lot of them just seem the blend into the group when it's an attack, do you feel he stands out at all, or is it just me?
  • Do you feel he has anything to offer after the inevitable destruction (contrary to Wade's belief) of the Nexus sometime in the future?

Do you agree that he has something to offer in the Nexus storyline?

Hell yes. He's probably the second best on the mic and third best in the ring. He's playing his character well and has the skills to use it too.

While a lot of them just seem the blend into the group when it's an attack, do you feel he stands out at all, or is it just me?

If I'm honest, I don't really notice any of them. I simply watch, enjoy and don't analyse. When they attack, I see them as one unit, which is what they are.

Do you feel he has anything to offer after the inevitable destruction (contrary to Wade's belief) of the Nexus sometime in the future?

Yes. He's got the skills to be a big player some day. He's got the mic skills, he's got the acting skills, he's got the ring skills. So a resounding yes. The only guy imo who doesn't have anything to offer post Nexus is Otunga, who cannot wrestle at all. He could be a manager, I suppose. But then again, they aren't in high demand right now.

I think Michael Tarver is an integral part of Nexus. He is brilliant. His mic, in-ring and acting skills are all very good. But then again, every single one of them are important (yes, even Otunga). He is very intense in what he says and does. He is pretty much the personifacation of the whole group.
While Nexus can survive without Daniel Bryan, if they lost Tarver, the group would fall apart. The group gimmick is disenfranchised rookies, and Michael Tarver is the disenfranchised rookie.
After this angle, I think Tarver can stay in the WWE. He is one of the more talented ones. And given the right storyline, he could be very good.

Outside of Wade Barrett, Tarver is the best guy in the group and has the most potential moving forward. He hasn't gotten to show much in the ring but he's good enough to get by and he really shines with everything else. To me Tarver is the best of the Nexus guys on the mic and that includes Wade Barret. He doesn't get as much mic time as Barret but he makes the most of it when he does. He also has a great look and brings a lot of intensity. Tarver is definitely one of the guys that I could see doing something in the WWE once this storyline ends.

I have to say I completely agree 100%. Once Tarver began talking in NXT and portraying himself how he does now, I knew he could go far in the business. He just has that charisma and he is definitely a focal point of the group. I notice him every time the Nexus attacks. He's always yelling or giving the perfect angry look.

He has a lot to offer in the WWE. I believe he could someday main event after spending a year or two in the midcard. He just has the " it " factor that everybody talks about. He just needs to work on his ring work a tiny bit, then again, I haven't seen much because he never did much on NXT. But yes, he is definitely a focal point in the group and he is definitely someone who can have a place in the WWE after this storyline is over.

You know, I actually see your point.

Michale Tarver was completely slated on NXT and when I went to Smackdown and NXT in April, he never even got to talk because people were chanting “Who are ya” so loud that it I guess he just saw no point in it. However, he has come a long way since then and I think he is one of the rookies who continues to get better as the angle and his WWE career progresses. When I saw him during the Nexus apology, I couldn’t help but be silently impressed by him and how much he has come on.

When he debuted with that stupid bandana, I think it would have been very easy to crumble and let the thing that sets him apart from the rest of the rookies slide away. However, I am glad that he has had the balls to persist with something that now gives him an advantage over a lot of the other rookies. By that, I mean that he has an identity. The bandana is certainly something that gets him noticed and I think you are right about him standing out because of it.

I would definitely think that Tarver can be one of the main guys in the Nexus after Barrett and Danielson. I think this is a point where all of these guys need to make a statement of intent and it really could be a place where Tarver shows us all that he can pull it off on the big stage. I think the Nexus look strong as a unit but I would like to see some other characters come out the woodwork and Tarver could be one of those guys. His future is very undecided right now but I feel with a couple of good performance when this angle gets to the point where the Nexus are wrestling, we could see a good indication of where Tarver’s career with the WWE is going to go.

I may be the only one to say this, but Michael Tarver is just plain awful.

His promos actually physically hurt me to hear. Now he is not the worst in Nexus, not by a long show, but people saying he is second to Barrett on the mic? Are you kidding? What about David Otunga?...Skip Sheffield is even better. To me he is on the same level as Darren Young mic wise.

And in the ring he is pretty bad. Dont get me wrong. When it comes to the good ole fashioned beatdown, he is a star, because he is a punch thrower, and he is pretty quick.

To be honest, i think when this group disbands, he is the second guy to be future endeavored behind Darren Young.

His promos actually physically hurt me to hear. Now he is not the worst in Nexus, not by a long show, but people saying he is second to Barrett on the mic? Are you kidding? What about David Otunga?...Skip Sheffield is even better. To me he is on the same level as Darren Young mic wise.

And in the ring he is pretty bad. Dont get me wrong. When it comes to the good ole fashioned beatdown, he is a star, because he is a punch thrower, and he is pretty quick.

To be honest, i think when this group disbands, he is the second guy to be future endeavored behind Darren Young.

Have you ever heard a Michael Tarver promo? The guy is very good on the mic. How you can sit there and tell me that Skip fucking Sheffield with that annoying ass catchphrase is better on the mic is beyond me.

I'm with the majority in that Michael Tarver is a standout player. He has some great, realistic mic skills, and when he can punch, he looks good. He is second on the mic to Barrett, easily, in terms of flow, voice, and intensity. However, he needs to improve his in-ring work and add in more boxing/MMA-inspired moves to fit his gimmick. That said, he's no David Otunga in the ring. I believe that with Daniel Bryan gone, Tarver could take his (presumably) main event place. He has come along in leaps and bounds and impressed us all.

On top of that, he has the most to gain from the Nexus group. He was stuck with a terrible pro, was eliminated on a BS technicality, and would have the biggest bone to pick with management for his treatment on NXT.

I have become a big Tarver fan. I see good things in his future.

Yes. He's got the skills to be a big player some day. He's got the mic skills, he's got the acting skills, he's got the ring skills. So a resounding yes. The only guy imo who doesn't have anything to offer post Nexus is Otunga, who cannot wrestle at all. He could be a manager, I suppose. But then again, they aren't in high demand right now.

David Otunga really shouldn't be in the NXT group. Not sure if they're doing it because he's Jennifer Hudson's husband, and even with that being said, being Jennifer Hudson's husband doesn't really bode well for you when it comes to making people believe you're a bad ass. I mean, you're the husband of Jennifer Hudson, oooo scary. I mean she makes like what, 20xs more than you. PLUS, he was on the I Love New York reality show on VH1, and he didn't even win THAT either. All John Cena has to do is show him being kicked off the show and it'll ruin his image instantly. David should be the 1st to go.

Now as far as Michael Tarver, for sure yes! The man is really showing he can be a badass. I like his look, I like his drive, and other than Wade & Batista ver. 2.0, I think he's one of the top NXT guys by far. Thing is, he'll probably get overshadowed for two reasons. (a) He's not Wade Barrett and pretty much it seems that for at least the time being, Wade's the higher guy & (b) he's black. No no, wait before anyone jumps down my back for playing the race card, but when's the last time a really good African American WWE star made a huge impact overall? The Rock...

Tarver may not make it because perhaps the WWE doesn't feel the WWE Universe (I so hate that name, it sounds like Yankee Nation or Red Sox Nation) is ready to have a black champion. Granted, men like Mark Henry & what's his face, that rapper dude, you know...yeah that guy lol, those guys aren't really top guys anyway. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him getting the WWE or World stap, which is kinda sad...Oh yeah his name is R-Truth lmao...

Hopefully this thing will last a little longer to see what they're all made of, but probably all of them will at some point end up as midcarders with the exception of Barrett, Batista ver. 2.0 & Tarver

No. Just no.

His promos actually physically hurt me to hear.

Really? You should see a docrot about that.

Now he is not the worst in Nexus, not by a long show, but people saying he is second to Barrett on the mic?

Yes we are. Because he is.

Are you kidding?

Nope.

What about David Otunga?

He has his moments but he isn't as good as Tarver. He emphasises the wrong words, has no emotion and seems to resort to kiddie school uninsults when he needs to talk down to someone.

Skip Sheffield is even better.

No. Just no. Skip's ok when he's getting the crowed to play along with his "Yep Yep Yep. What it do?" stuff, but when he's not doing that he is pretty bad.

To me he is on the same level as Darren Young mic wise.

No. Just no.

FCW. Watch it.

To be honest, I think you're completely and utterly wrong.

David Otunga really shouldn't be in the NXT group. Not sure if they're doing it because he's Jennifer Hudson's husband, and even with that being said, being Jennifer Hudson's husband doesn't really bode well for you when it comes to making people believe you're a bad ass. I mean, you're the husband of Jennifer Hudson, oooo scary. I mean she makes like what, 20xs more than you. PLUS, he was on the I Love New York reality show on VH1, and he didn't even win THAT either. All John Cena has to do is show him being kicked off the show and it'll ruin his image instantly. David should be the 1st to go.

Now as far as Michael Tarver, for sure yes! The man is really showing he can be a badass. I like his look, I like his drive, and other than Wade & Batista ver. 2.0, I think he's one of the top NXT guys by far. Thing is, he'll probably get overshadowed for two reasons. (a) He's not Wade Barrett and pretty much it seems that for at least the time being, Wade's the higher guy & (b) he's black. No no, wait before anyone jumps down my back for playing the race card, but when's the last time a really good African American WWE star made a huge impact overall? The Rock...

Tarver may not make it because perhaps the WWE doesn't feel the WWE Universe (I so hate that name, it sounds like Yankee Nation or Red Sox Nation) is ready to have a black champion. Granted, men like Mark Henry & what's his face, that rapper dude, you know...yeah that guy lol, those guys aren't really top guys anyway. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see him getting the WWE or World stap, which is kinda sad...Oh yeah his name is R-Truth lmao...

Hopefully this thing will last a little longer to see what they're all made of, but probably all of them will at some point end up as midcarders with the exception of Barrett, Batista ver. 2.0 & Tarver

I agree with you on not like Otunga much, but he kinda did the same thing The Miz did, do a reality tv show, didnt win it, and transitioned into wrestling. Not saying Otunga is gonna be as good as The Miz, but I know they both took the same route to get to the WWE.

Yeah he was held back in nxt and then him saying he was held back was overshadowed by daniel bryan danielson attacking cole. Next to danielson and barret, he has the most potential. He would be a great bounty hounter character. Kind of like he gets paid just to take guys out.

WHAT!?!? Dont get me wrong Michael Tarver isnt the worst thing I have ever seen, he's pretty good on the mic and can really get good heat but in any one of the NXT beat downs he just seems out of place and seems to be getting in the ring, not only that his wrestling bores me

WHAT!?!? Dont get me wrong Michael Tarver isnt the worst thing I have ever seen, he's pretty good on the mic and can really get good heat but in any one of the NXT beat downs he just seems out of place and seems to be getting in the ring, not only that his wrestling bores me

HAHAHAHA
You say his wrestling is boring but then you have a picture of aw wrestler who couldn't have a non boring match over 5 min. (goldberg.)

It's no secret of mine that I'm a big fan of this guy since the first time I saw him on NXT. I thought they could have utilised him better than they did with the gimmick they gave him, but it wasn't a problem overall as he's, as we all know, back now.

With you 100% here. Michael Tarver's look and personality are terrific. They haven't really let him prove himself in the ring as anything more than a boxer, but plenty of guys have gotten by with a lot less. I wouldn't say the gimmick was the problem. I'd say one problem is that he got stuck with Carlito, a man who has spent almost his entire career in the WWE Dog House. The other problem is... look who he was with! Barrett, Bryan, Otunga, three guys the WWE was foaming at the mouth to push. In addition to that, it's hard for a heel to get the attention when the crowd is cheering for guys like Slater and Gabriel, guys with less personality but more agreeable tactics, and super-face pros. Tarver, Darren Young, and Skip Sheffield sort of faded into the background because of their heel gimmicks.

Do you agree that he has something to offer in the Nexus storyline? While a lot of them just seem the blend into the group when it's an attack, do you feel he stands out at all, or is it just me?

I think he might stand out to me, but that may be because I'm looking for him. However, I think his brutal anger really sets him apart from the rest of the guys. It's hard to believe Heath Slater or Darren Young are really angry at the WWE, where Tarver sells it beautifully. You get the feeling that he has some sort of pure, evil hatred in him that none of the other Nexus guys do.

Do you feel he has anything to offer after the inevitable destruction (contrary to Wade's belief) of the Nexus sometime in the future?

If I was booking this feud, I'd make him stay on board with Wade until the very end. I'd have the Nexus boys break away one by one, whether it's because they felt that they accomplished their goal or if they were forced out or something. However, Tarver seems to have retained the anger and viciousness that the NXTers had during their first assault on Cena, and only Barrett has maintained the same intensity. He should stay super-heel with Barrett until the brutal end.

A distant future idea I have for him is pairing him up with Titus O'Neil. They could be the modern day Rocky Johnson-Tony Atlas. Both seem to have a trait that the audience can relate with (Titus's underdog mentality, Tarver's 5 children), and both have similar looks. I think they could make an impact on the tag team division.

I'm going to have to say i agree with the minority here. Tarver absolutely does not do it for me. I don't much enjoy him in the ring, and I don't enjoy him on the mic. I think, as someone else mentioned, once this angle is done he'll find his way to the FE club sooner rather than later.

Wow, I'm not the only one. I can't stand tarver. Nothing like a "crazy" man in a bandana. His mic skills are ok. Not as bad as Sheffields. I just don't like him. Honestly when the Nexxus breaks up I don't see him doing anything than feuding with primo. I just don't see a break out star in him.

I disagree with ,most people. Tarver is not that great on the mic yet if ever. He's oddly built, what i mean is he's bo-legged and hunch backed at the same time, wwe needs to fix his posture. Secondly he needs to work on his in ring skills alot. If he corrects those things he may have a future if not he'll be gone with the rest of nexus. He's better than most in the nexus group, but that's not saying much because the rest of the group sucks outside of Barrett, and formerly Danielson. WWe will never utilize skip sheffield correctly. That guy is huge and his physique is incredible, could be the next batista. And Otunga let's face it is there because of who his wife is. WWe wants to be more Hollywood anyway, and that's one route to go. Otunga has a decent top with chicken legs, and a soft voice. So Tarver will be there before anyone else outside of danielson, and wade string bean barrett simply because the rest of the group suck.

I don't see him being anything outside of the group, but another newer-cheaper Shelton Benjamin, decent skills, but ehh who cares. Give him 5 years and he'll be sporting blond hair, if not future endevored way before then.

:worship: I agree with you about Tarver. yes he stands out. Every time I see the NXT Rookies come out he is one of the first ones I notice. That thing he wears around his face looks great on him. I think he is the one that really gets me interested in the NXT rookie attacks along with Wade Barrett

Great thread. I agree with everything you said and to my pleasant surprise so does the majority of our fellow posters. I constantly find myself drawn to Tarver during a weekly Nexus beatdown due to his intensity. He always seems like he's truly pissed and puts great emotion into the attacks.

During NXT season 1 I thought he had the second best mic skills of the bunch. And seeing as that's more important than actual wrestling skills, I thought he could've made it far if it weren't for being saddled with Carlito as a pro*.

*Disclaimer: I love Carlito but his career was going nowhere at that point. His 'storyline' was threatening to quit if he wasn't traded to Smackdown! for God's sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back