• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your "True Opinions" Of Posters?

yeah, by that logic, Rock, or Austin should have won the first ever undisputed title. not Jericho.

Jericho had been around the main event for a while and was certainly ready for that next step. CM Punk in the summer of 2008 was not. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand.

If that isn't the definition of twisting someones words around then I don't know what is. There are groups of guys in the WWE in every time period that have the right combination of high popularity, great ability, and experience working with top guys. Those are the guys who belong in the main event. Punk had great ability in 2008 and his popularity was rising but he wasn't quite there yet and he certainly didn't have the experience of working with the top guys because he had been stuck on ECW.
Punk had worked with Edge and Jericho multiple times by that point and didn't exactly flounder. He'd also worked Eddie, Rey, and Terry Funk on the indies. It's not like he had never been in the ring with anyone of note before.

Punk was the second most over guy on Raw by the time he dropped the belt.

And bull shit he didn't have experience working with top guys. In case you forgot, ECW talent appeared on the two major shows all the time, and I distinctly remember Punk having matches with the likes of Edge and other higher up heel wrestlers.

And you seem to be picking on one example in Punk. Jeff Hardy was one of the most over wrestlers in the company and had been working with main event talent for years. Why wasn't he qualified to be the Champion?

I've got to ask why we have this magical concept that everyone needs a progressive build towards the main event. It often doesn't work that way.

Punk had worked with Edge and Jericho multiple times by that point and didn't exactly flounder. He'd also worked Eddie, Rey, and Terry Funk on the indies. It's not like he had never been in the ring with anyone of note before.

The occasional cross brand match over the course of a couple years doesn't mean you're automatically ready to become the top guy on the top show. The indies are completely different from the WWE.

Punk was the second most over guy on Raw by the time he dropped the belt.

According to who? You? Last time I checked RAW still had Batista, Shawn Michaels, and Rey Mysterio back then. Jericho was also more over/hated as a heel then Punk was over as a face.

And bull shit he didn't have experience working with top guys. In case you forgot, ECW talent appeared on the two major shows all the time, and I distinctly remember Punk having matches with the likes of Edge and other higher up heel wrestlers.

Once again the occasional cross brand match with a top guy doesn't mean you are ready. His main competition were guys like Morrison, Big Daddy V, Miz, New Breed, etc..

And you seem to be picking on one example in Punk. Jeff Hardy was one of the most over wrestlers in the company and had been working with main event talent for years. Why wasn't he qualified to be the Champion?

This may just be my extreme hatred for the guy but he was god awful on the mic and without mic skills you can't really do much in terms of feuds over the top belt. The story with Jeff hardy was always overcoming the odds and finally being able to grab the brass ring but he once he got it that story was gone. Probably why he never had a title reign over a month.

The occasional cross brand match over the course of a couple years doesn't mean you're automatically ready to become the top guy on the top show. The indies are completely different from the WWE.
Yeah. They're far more trusting with opportunities than Vince McMahon. And Punk has proven time and time again that he can handle the heat.

I've got to ask why we have this magical concept that everyone needs a progressive build towards the main event. It often doesn't work that way.

It doesn't always have to be that way but unless you are a freak like a Brock Lesnar or a monster heel like a Yokozuna, a nice build helps make sure a guy is ready and capable of being at the top. And it also helps make the crowd believe it. If the crowd doesn't believe you as a top guy then you have no chance to succeed.

It doesn't always have to be that way but unless you are a freak like a Brock Lesnar or a monster heel like a Yokozuna, a nice build helps make sure a guy is ready and capable of being at the top. And it also helps make the crowd believe it. If the crowd doesn't believe you as a top guy then you have no chance to succeed.
The crowd believed Wade Barrett and they got six unbelievable months out of him. R-Truth just outdrew the Miz on PPV.

Guys needing build is a myth. Punk became a star in three weeks. What he did beforehand means nothing.

The crowd believed Wade Barrett and they got six unbelievable months out of him. R-Truth just outdrew the Miz on PPV.

The crowd believed Nexus as a whole. Barrett was the leader but he was not ready for the title at any point during that run which is why he never got it. R-Truth is a veteran who had been borderline main event as a face before. His entire heel turn also came about because of the face character he had been for years. All of that was part of his build.

Guys needing build is a myth. Punk became a star in three weeks. What he did beforehand means nothing.

Are you taking about right now or back in 2008? Right now Punk is a star but the groundwork for all of that had been placed beforehand. Back in 2008 Punk wasn't at the star level when he became champion.

R-Truth was close to the main event as a face? What's that? More of you sticking up pointlessly for the darkies?

If you think Punk's heat now has anything to do with groundwork, you're a moron and my work is done here.

R-Truth...borderline main event...as a FACE??

***** u high

R-Truth was close to the main event as a face? What's that? More of you sticking up pointlessly for the darkies?

I never said the guy was consistently just outside the main event scene but there were certainly a couple times he was on the fringe as an upper mid carder. He had been in an elimination chamber match for the world title before so if he has a shot at the title I'd say that's borderline. He was also part of the Summerslam team taking on the Nexus so he was obviously looked upon fairly highly there. His upper mid card days were few and far between but they did exist as a face. He was always one of those guys on RAW who would come out and say he deserved a title shot and then get thrown in the process to crown a new number one contender.

If you think Punk's heat now has anything to do with groundwork, you're a moron and my work is done here.

If Punk came in as some random motherfucker with no previous history in the WWE then the heat he has would not be at the level it is.

I never said the guy was consistently just outside the main event scene but there were certainly a couple times he was on the fringe as an upper mid carder. He had been in an elimination chamber match for the world title before so if he has a shot at the title I'd say that's borderline.
Two words: Mike Knox.

If Punk came in as some random motherfucker with no previous history in the WWE then the heat he has would not be at the level it is.
Wade Barrett got more heat last year than Punk did anywhere except Chicago this year.

I gave you multiple examples of Truth being close to the main event as a face, not just the EC.
Knox had feuded with Rey. Truth didn't before his star making three months. Knox was seen as a bigger prospect for years.

No, the Nexus got more heat. Barrett was the leader but without the rest of the guys being with him he doesn't get half of that heat.
Nexus doesn't get over without Barrett as stick man. The end.

Knox had feuded with Rey. Truth didn't before his star making three months. Knox was seen as a bigger prospect for years.

Mike Knox had a very short feud with Mysterio and an appearance in an EC. That was the extent of any type of push he had. He was jobbing on Superstars very shortly after that.

R Truth on Smackdown had mini feuds with CM Punk and Chris Jericho and got victories over both of them. On RAW Truth participated in an EC and he was in the main event at Summerslam as part of team WWE vs the Nexus. Truth as a face had his few moments being an upper mid carder and on the fringe of the main event scene.

Nexus doesn't get over without Barrett as stick man. The end.

It goes both ways. Nexus sucks without Barrett, Barrett sucks without Nexus.

I never said the guy was consistently just outside the main event scene but there were certainly a couple times he was on the fringe as an upper mid carder.

He was never anywhere near the main event until his heel turn. He never came close. Even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes, there's a giant leap between "upper midcarder" and "main event."

He was never anywhere near the main event until his heel turn. He never came close. Even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes, there's a giant leap between "upper midcarder" and "main event."

Which is why I used terms like borderline and fringe. I never said he was in the main event just that he was in that upper mid card territory from time to time which is one step below being a main event guy. Obviously the heel turn is what got him into the main event but if he hadn't been an established talent before that then it wouldn't have been very believable. If the exact same storyline was used with JTG then there is no chance in hell it puts him in the main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back