• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Survivor Series LD on 11/21 Will See Where The Winds of Change Blow John Cena!

I ask the question as to why you watch it because you watched it for some reason. It caught your attention for more than one day. That's what they wanted and they got it. So no matter what, it was successful in what it wanted to do. Sure, how it was run didn't promise prolonged success, but they caught your attention. It was shock value. Sure it would wear off, but if it was run correctly, they'd have fared much better.

And if I had been born a girl there would be blood coming out of my vagina. What's your point?

I was talking about the Original ECW too. It closed in 2001, so anyone older then 9 was around for the original ECW. But lets make it 12, that would mean 1998. They were alive for the Original ECW then. I would say 99.999% of the forum members are over that age, and I would say 90% of them are old enough to have been alive for ECWs prime (1996-7).

Again, in order for ECW to have ever had a shot at expanding, they would have had to do what WWE did with it, and remove the obscene pathetic over-violence that pushes sponsors away.

Your point is valid, but original ECW was on much later than many kids were up.

I ask the question as to why you watch it because you watched it for some reason. It caught your attention for more than one day. That's what they wanted and they got it. So no matter what, it was successful in what it wanted to do. Sure, how it was run didn't promise prolonged success, but they caught your attention. It was shock value. Sure it would wear off, but if it was run correctly, they'd have fared much better.
I'll answer your question too. I watched it because I like wrestling, and I liked it (didn't get to watch it until TNN). Looking back (and having a fully-functioning brain) I can see why it didn't succeed, and that was the violence, and the niche market it catered to (a market that CAN'T FILL 20,000 SEAT ARENAS).

And if I had been born a girl there would be blood coming out of my vagina. What's your point?

So refute the last part of my statement but don't agree with the rest. I have ceded the point to you all that ECW was a company with idiots up at the top. They caught the attention of a group of people -- including yourself, maybe after the fact -- and expanded to where they could from there.

Khali was involved in someone getting hurt pretty bad if my memory serves correctly. So it is fair to hook foreigners with someone who can't wrestle traditionally but it is foolish to appeal to the hardcore style that young males were into with guys that couldn't wrestle?

Yep Khali was involved. He was involved to the extent that everyone associated with it have said he did nothing wrong and that there wasn't a supervisor present like there should have been.

That sounds perfectly fair to me. A trained professional working under safe conditions vs. fat slobs that sweated crisco and dipped their hands in glass to blast each other in the head with. I wonder which is safer.

So refute the last part of my statement but don't agree with the rest. I have ceded the point to you all that ECW was a company with idiots up at the top. They caught the attention of a group of people -- including yourself, maybe after the fact -- and expanded to where they could from there.

Yes, and the expansion, for I think the fifth time, killed them off.

I'll answer your question too. I watched it because I like wrestling, and I liked it (didn't get to watch it until TNN). Looking back (and having a fully-functioning brain) I can see why it didn't succeed, and that was the violence, and the niche market it catered to (a market that CAN'T FILL 20,000 SEAT ARENAS).

Mick Foley put my ass in this seat. That guy who never did anything the hardcore sure had a pivotal role in the height of the wrestling era.

Khali was involved in someone getting hurt pretty bad if my memory serves correctly. So it is fair to hook foreigners with someone who can't wrestle traditionally but it is foolish to appeal to the hardcore style that young males were into with guys that couldn't wrestle?

Aye, when the former is a demographic of roughly a billion, who probably wouldnt watch your show otherwise

Mick Foley put my ass in this seat. That guy who never did anything the hardcore sure had a pivotal role in the height of the wrestling era.

Mick Foley is one of about three people that have made that style work in mainstream. Hundreds of others have done the same things he's done and have nothing but scars and criminal records to show for it. He has a career, prestige and a legacy. He also had a thing called talent.

I don't get your point. Mick Foley (believe it or not NOT an ultra-violent wrestler) put you in that seat. Good, he should have. Micks a legend, and NEEDS to get in the Hall of Fame ASAP. Mick did violent things, but was able to get away with it since he's also a good wrestler, a great wrestling mind, a phenomenal talker, and even his violent stuff (in America) wasn't ultra-violent like the ECW guys.

As was ECW. Yet ECW was doomed to fail because of it supposedly while Mick flourished largely because of it. Seems contradictory to me.
Mick flourished because he made you care about what he was doing, something almost everyone in ECW couldn't do. It was "wow, sick spot" and that was about it. Mick made you feel for him when he put it all on the line for his dream. Foley is God,

As was ECW. Yet ECW was doomed to fail because of it supposedly while Mick flourished largely because of it. Seems contradictory to me.
1 person isn't an entire company. Foley (as I and KB previously said) has TALENT, which is why he succeeded, and ECW used no-talent hacks for ultra-violent sponsor-revolting garbage. And ECW as a company tried to make themselves a national promotion and failed because that product isn't marketable.

Plus, Foley didn't really flourish until after the Hell In A Cell, when he transformed from a psychotic character to almost a childrens character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back