• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

**MERGED** John Cena Thread - Heel Turn, Matches, Etc. (Keep it in here!!)

Love him or Hate him?

• Love him

• Hate him

• In between

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why? This seems like another person that was just bored and came up with anything to make a thread even if it didn’t make any sense. So you think Cena needs a celebrity friend when there are actors and other pro athletes that mimic him all the time. So no I do not think he needs a friend if other people are already mimicking him.

The timing is certainly right, isn't it? Hopefully, the opening at the announcer's table will be only a brief one, but I'd love to see it filled by Cena.

It's ironic; I'm sure Cena must have sat there in the past as a guest, yet I can't recall a time. He's the ultimate "in the ring" guy, always where the action is. This would be a nice change of pace, and with his speaking ability, I'd wager he'd have a lot to add to the production. Let him call a few C.M. Punk matches and annoy Punk with his very presence.

Also, this is a good way to keep him close to the action without forcing him to get involved in it. By the time Jerry Lawler is ready to come back, Cena should be ready to go, too.

I'd like to see this.

I like this idea, but I would have Cena come out for commentary at the start of the second hour. They can quickly promote it a couple times during the first hour and at the top of the show, have a jealous Punk talk about it for a couple seconds in his promo and then right when 9pm hits, have Cena's intro start.

At the end of the show, they could have a Punk v. ??? main event, and Punk starts to berate Cena for not giving him respect while on commentary. It could end with physicality, as Punk's a professional and can be trusted to be careful with Cena's elbow.

John Cena already has a celebrity friend, that Fred fellow. They read at childrens libraries and go fly fishing on the weekend. Discussion over.

Cena has a celebrity friend in Carl Edwards. Carl has been on Raw and Cena was invited to drop the flag at the Daytona 500 but wasn't able to do it because of weather and the race being re scheduled on a Monday. I know it's not a huge name to people outside of racing but they are friends and have appeared at each others events.

cena dosent needs celebrity friend as he is very much happy with his career in wwe and he dosent like to be much in too much controversies as well as he avoids too much exposure and mainly he is seen in charity shows and he is very much popular to stand alone and attract the crowd

If you want to get technical, last year at Survivor Series, he had that match. He teamed with The Rock, who's now an actor.

Thing is, those matches were gimmicky then, and with the way the IWC is now, they'd get ripped apart if they had Cena team with a celebrity.

Cena could probably use a friend, period. There aren't many folks in the locker room who, at least on camera, come out as John Cena's friend and offer someone for him to talk to. In the past, pre-crazy R-Truth and pre-Eve Ryder both filled that role, but recently no one's been there for him in backstage skits.

With the top stars lasting for a long time within the company, I have just been thinking.. How long has Cena really got left within the company? I'm thinking atleast 2/3 years left. I know it may not sound not a long time left, but I honestly think he does.

If Cena does have atleast 3 years left, WWE need to begin to bring up and push new stars into the Main Event scene. In recent events, it seems hard for WWE to push stars and the crowd react.. only Ryback has done this but I don't see him as the WWE champion.. maybe World Champion.

What's your thoughts on this?

I think WWE agrees and as a result they're doing things like calling up guys from NXT (Rollins, Ambrose and Reigns), starting to push Ziggler more with a Barrett push coming soon, giving more screen time to Sandow (a skilled guy who just never found a decent gimmick until he nailed his current shtick), and teasing Ryback as main event material without giving him a belt. Also, don't forget about the gradual development of mid-card guys like Cesaro as well as legit trainers for both men and women in developmental. Over time this will make a big difference in the overall quality of the product.
Right now, WWE is in a transitional period. Execs are only comfortable with one of two guys carrying the WWE Championship and they rely way too heavily on past stars, which makes secondary PPVs incredibly predictable. However, this is the ebb and flow of pro wrestling.

I disagree,john cena is only 34. He still has years left and his character can last as long as WWE keeps it relevant. As long as the WWE continue to build new stars and bring them up from nxt. John cena is their franchise face and they need him, he is an asset to the company.

As long he wants, he can carry the company. There building up new stars recently so it's looking bright but they can't afford to drop the ball. With randy orton, Sheamus, cm punk and john cena s their top 4 guys.

Cena is the biggest name in wrestling today and the only full time star in the WWE right now. Cena has years left at the top and he most likely has a few years as a massive heel if the WWE decides to go that route. WWE will find a new guy t o come up and be the next top guy- but until then- Cena will be at the top of the card.

If Cenas Body does not betray him he easily has got seven to eight more years left in him! Hes only 35 but already is starting to break down neck,knee,back,just to name a few. Cena is still one of the biggest names out there easily top three today.

Cena has been the face now for what 7 or 8 years now. Cena will never be heel we can forget that route. After his career is over Cena more than likely will be a top level exec much like HHH

I do think that they're working on pushing new guys to the scene and at a pretty good pace for the most part. There are obvious ones (Ziggler, Ryback, Bryan will continue to get more relevant, Miz again, probably Barrett and Cody Rhodes) and then within a few years some of the other guys who have already debuted, are just debuting or will be debuting soon, seem to have the potential or alleged potential for pretty impressive rises, depending on how well they are presented and how crowds react.

It isn't a new concept by any means, but Cena for whatever reason having to "work his way back to the top" over the course of months or more, due to some sort of stipulation after losing a big match or something could maybe revitalize things a bit for him while simultaneously helping out new stars. That kind of thing would primarily put him in a position to only work with the new, lower card, or rising stars. There are of course issues with that though since keeping him out of too many main events may not benefit the company much, nor would him losing too much to newer stars or winning too easily against them. Having competitive matches against them though, where even if they lose they look legit, can help sustain him and build new guys.

I'm sure that there is a way (much better than my admittedly crappy suggestion) where something like that can happen. If not then things will probably remain similar to how they are but, as a not too picky fan, I'm fine with that. I don't dislike Cena but do find him stale yet like many of you am accepting of the reasons why a heel turn or different role is unlikely.

Realistically, he has more or less five years. More if he manages to avoid any more serious injuries, less if his body predictably breaks down, especially considering he's worked a WWE schedule for over a decade now, and he's not exactly taking it easy. Plus as his body ages it's going to get tougher and tougher for his bones to carry around all that extra muscle.

As for pushing younger stars... Daniel Bryan and Ryback are already top names in the WWE and they are the future of the company. Cody Rhodes and Dolph Ziggler are both tremendously over, and Cody's abilities on the mic and in the ring are promising for a main event level career. It's also worth pointing out that Randy Orton is only 32 (same as Dolph Ziggler), and will be a main event mainstay until he retires. Plus, there are plenty of guys in NXT (Big E Langston, Seth Rollins, Roman Reins, etc.) that have a promising future and even some of the current tag team guys like Titus O'Neil or Tyson Kidd that can see main event time if the stars line up correctly for them.

The constant panic about "who is going to replace Cena" is silly to me. Do you think people were predicting Cena would be the next big thing when they were wondering who The Rock's replacement would be? There's no way of knowing exactly who will be the WWE's next top draw, but the foundation for a successful main event is certainly laid for the next generation of WWE wrestlers.

The constant panic about "who is going to replace Cena" is silly to me. Do you think people were predicting Cena would be the next big thing when they were wondering who The Rock's replacement would be? There's no way of knowing exactly who will be the WWE's next top draw, but the foundation for a successful main event is certainly laid for the next generation of WWE wrestlers.

Exactly. The right match, moment, or storyline may surprisingly propel someone very quickly into a role or it could just be a case of someone slowly transitioning into a character that becomes bigger than one could have predicted. Of course WWE should continue to do what they can to "make" big stars by pushing people and hoping that the audience reacts favorably towards them but sometimes it isn't a matter of trying to make things happen, but simply letting them happen.

His body might be able to hold on for at least 6 more years but the direction his character is taking, WWE could take him off TV right now and it wouldnt make a difference. I didnt actually mind when Cena had the belt. Putting the title on the most popular star just makes logical sense. The problem was how he was booked into looking like this invincible megastar. In part thats why his feud with Edge a while back stood out so much. Finally someone got the upper hand on Cena. It felt great and it didnt take away anything from his fan base. WWE needs to find a balance between the mega pushes that have hurt Cena, Punk, and Orton's careers and where Cena is right now. Give the guy a meaningful storyline that doesnt consist of Cena being accused of something WWE would never let him be guilty of and instead use a guy like Ziggler to push Cena over the top.

His body might be able to hold on for at least 6 more years but the direction his character is taking, WWE could take him off TV right now and it wouldnt make a difference.

Agreed. It's amusing to read people asking if they think guys like Punk are "bigger" than Cena at this point......amusing, because it's not even a valid question. Nobody is bigger than Cena in WWE; it isn't a category that can even be measured. No one can touch him as the face of the company and I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to think they could, including Phil Brooks (who's probably a lot more realistic about his true status in the hierarchy than he lets on during his act).

On this forum, we constantly read folks who want the company to "stop making everything revolve around Cena." Well, as far as storylines go, they're already doing that. Look how long it's been since he's held the title. Management is continually giving other people a chance, continually trying to thrust others to the forefront in an effort to build stars. But, face it, Cena is going to be involved in the top storylines, if only for the purpose of assisting the push of guys like Punk. How in the world can WWE be expected to have a guy like Cena and not use him to the fullest advantage? Apparently, the guy is willing to cooperate in programs that advance other people; can you imagine Hulk Hogan (in his heyday) working for the common good in that manner? Cena doesn't have anyone who can knock him off the mountain, so he can afford to be magnanimous in boosting other folks. Everybody wins.

John Cena will be the face of the company as long as he feels he can go. He's not like the headliners of the latter days of WCW, using a "personal service" contract status to collect money while sitting out with "injuries" .....instead, we've got Cena returning earlier than expected from real maladies to best serve the company and fans.

You want to be one of those folks who profess to be "sick" of Cena? Go ahead, that's your privilege. Maybe it will take his eventual retirement to show us how much we'll miss him and the incredible amount he brings to this industry.

Meanwhile, if he can still bring it in 10 years, he'll still be the #1 guy.

Cena has been with the WWE for 10 years now and is still in good condition. I can easily see him still being involved in an in-ring role for another 5 or more years as long as he does not get a career-ending injury. That is the only way he would ever leave the in-ring role. He is so passionate about the wrestling business and loves being in the WWE. I see him spending a few more years first as THE top guy, long enough for him to accomplish the achievement of breaking Flair's record of most World Championship reigns by setting his own, perhaps as high as 20 before he calls it quits.

At some point he'll stop constantly main eventing and enter a role similar to Michaels' last few years and putting over new top guys. Even once he's completely finished in an in-ring capacity he will still stick around as a GM, announcer, manager, trainer, or some other type of role. Cena will be around forever, he loves the business too much to just walk away. As far as in the ring is concerned, his shelf life should have plenty left provided he does not have a severe injury that brings us to that day faster. At the very least another 5 years, maybe even another 10, is my estimate.

Personally, I think that any discussion of John Cena's "shelf life" are grossly premature. The man is still only in his mid 30's and despite a few injuries which are inevitable in his line of work, he has remained remarkably healthy. The man is built like a brick shit house and appears to take excellent care of himself. There's absolutely no reason to think that barring something unforeseen, he cannot remain as the number one guy and the face of the company for another ten years and beyond. Lots of guys have remained integral parts of professional wrestling promotions well into their forties, and several of these guys have neither the physical condition, the mental toughness, or the unprecedented drive of John Cena. I see John Cena as being "the guy" in the WWE for well over another decade.

Obviously WWE has to continue to watch for development of new talent, as no one will last forever, and even if Cena does remain front and center for many years, they still need other guys to become elevated in their position as well. Plus, there's always the risk of the unexpected which could take Cena out of the equation sooner than expected.

Cena may have to alter his move set to maintain his longevity. You know, cut his arsenal from five moves back to perhaps three, but I'm sure he's more than able to evolve in this manner.

Cena has a atleast five years left as an active wrestler and maybe ten to fifteen years left as a part timer. but he has done everything there is to do in the wwe so he should spend the rest of his career building future stars. i'm not saying he should never be champian again, but he should only be used to help the next generation get over.

This is definitely wishful thinking for the anti-Cena crowd.

This guy is no Rock. He doesn't have the star power Rocky has and cannot make the transition to Hollywood as well. And he ABSOLUTELY LOVES the WWE. He is not going anywhere for a while.

He is still young and is by far the top draw in the company with no serious threat to him in that position. He is going to be around well into his early 40s and if health holds ... might be to his mid-40s. Look for at least another ten years from this guy.

He is not going anywhere. In fact, I could see him doing 5 more years with heavy(appearing on RAW, house shows and PPV-s) and couple of more with lighter schedule(to be included somehow but not as heavy as now)...

Cena is golden to WWE and they will do anything to not lose him and his drawing power in the near or even far future. They can afford it, but why should them? As long as he is drawing he is golden to them. :)

With how many injurys Cena has picked over the last year, you have to start questioning how much longer he really has left. Take Edge for example, everybody was shocked when they found out that he had to retire. He was only 37 at the time and had at least another 5 or 6 years left at the top. Don't get me wrong Cena might go for another 5 or six years, all I am saying is that you just don't now how long you have in this industrie and I hope WWE have learnt from edge that you should always have somebody in place to take over if the worst comes to the worst

Hopefully he has another 7 years in him if he can remain healthy. I love John Cena, and I love the fact he seems to get under the skin of the sort of wrestling fan I don't like to associate with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back