• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE RAW LD 7/25/2011 - The King is Dead, Long Live the King

I'm just talking math. 3.5 would be closer to 4 if you hand to round it to a whole number. lol.

Personally I would have rated the match 3 15/16 but that's just me. :shrug:

I'm just talking math. 3.5 would be closer to 4 if you hand to round it to a whole number. lol.

Personally I would have rated the match 3 15/16 but that's just me. :shrug:

Oh, I disagree completely. I'd rate it at least two apples, a feather and a couple blades of grass. It deserved at least that much.

I don't care about beards. EY is threatening to make me care but I still don't. Matches by themselves just do not do it for me. Orton bores me as a face and he is a natural douchebag. His demeanor works so much better as a heel.

Ahhhh! I hate people using a globally accepted system to review a form of media so that it's easy for people to understand, the absolute horror! HORROR!

Ahhhh! I hate people using a globally accepted system to review a form of media so that it's easy for people to understand, the absolute horror! HORROR!

It's not the system you use, it's the fact so many people split hairs on quality. It's like you wavering back and forth on the Cena vs. Punk match, between a 4 3/4 match or a 5 star match. No matter which rating it got, will it change the fact it was a great match?

I think it's silly to use 1/4 of a star. Don't get me wrong, I've been guilty of it myself, but it is silly. I get it's a standard in the IWC, but that's hardly a good excuse for sticking with something, considering how wrong the IWC has been about so many things over the years.

I'd rather see people use a straight star system, no 1/4 or 1/2 stars. It's either a one, two, three, four or five. That would be much more descriptive of a match, and require less time agonizing over the difference of a 1/4 star.

I'll be honest: I could be saved a lot of time getting riled up about star ratings if people just wrote what they thought about the match and left everyone to read that without the short hand star ratings for those who are too lazy to look beyond that.

The quarter star system was around before the IWC even existed Slyfox. Cornette and Meltzer came up with it in the early 80s.

What's the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 in a gymnastics competition? People have been splitting hairs about judging quality since the dawn of competition, and people are still complaining about it to this day. Somethings never change.

What's the difference between a 4.4 and a 4.5 in a gymnastics competition? People have been splitting hairs about judging quality since the dawn of competition, and people are still complaining about it to this day. Somethings never change.

Olympic-level gymnastics requires much more depth in analysis than reviews of arbitrary weekly wrestling matches for the consumption of the average pro wrestling fan, I'd argue.

I'm re-watching the Cena/Mysterio match anyways just to see if maybe I underrated it and Norcal was right.

The quarter star system was around before the IWC even existed Slyfox. Cornette and Meltzer came up with it in the early 80s.

So? That has absolutely no relevance in what I said. I'm well aware the quarter star rating existed before the IWC. I don't understand your point.

That doesn't change the fact I find it silly, and using it simply because it's a standard today (in the IWC era), doesn't change the fact the difference between a 1/4 star doesn't change whether a match was good or not.
Olympic-level gymnastics requires much more depth in analysis than reviews of arbitrary weekly wrestling matches for the consumption of the average pro wrestling fan, I'd argue.

Agreed.

Re-watched the Rey/Cena match and liked it even more than I did on first viewing. Bumped it up to ***1/2, was very close to going ***3/4 so I can see why you went to **** now Norcal. I need to start paying more attention to RAW apparently and less attention to the LDs.

Eh, my 4 star is a lot like your 3 and 16/18ths or whatever. to me its

4 - great match

4 1/2 - moty canidate

5 - wrestling classic

I only have about ten 5's ever

Re-watched the Rey/Cena match and liked it even more than I did on first viewing. Bumped it up to ***1/2, was very close to going ***3/4 so I can see why you went to **** now Norcal. I need to start paying more attention to RAW apparently and less attention to the LDs.

I stopped doing Raw LDs for the same reason, I would miss the matches because I was too busy being witty. Sometimes I pop on MSN and send Serious Jones or Charlie a message about something awesome, but watching the show outside of the LD has been a much better experience for me. I still do the LDs with Smackdown though, because those need all the help they can get.

You guys will notice thats always sorta been how I did it in the LDs. I simply make about 15 sporadic comments or observations throughout, becuase primarily I am watching the show. Also, thats the reason im not around for pretty much zero PPV lds

Lies, all lies. I just went to the moonbase and counted them up, I have 9 five star matches.

Maybe when the DVD for MITB comes out, itll be ten

Here's my list just off the top of my head.

Savage/Steamboat WM3
Hogan/Warrior WM6
Perfect/Hart Summerslam 91
Hart/HBK WM12
Hart/Austin WM13
Eddie/Rey Halloween Havoc 97
Triangle Ladder Match WM16
Angle/Benoit RR ?

There's more, I just realized I didn't want to think anymore.

It's Royal Rumble 2003 you're thinking of. I'd take off Hogan/Warrior and put on Angle/HBK at WrestleMania 21, as well as AJ Styles vs. Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels at Unbreakable 2005 and Cena vs. Punk at Money in the Bank 2011. Probably a few others from me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back