WWE RAW 11/21/2011 - The Final Countdown Begins

No. Why would I? What's the point? Why would anyone want to see a heel John Cena?

Lots of reasons:

1) To see the boyscout become the bad guy
2) To see if you can be evil and still be Super
3) To see if anyone can really fill his shoes
4) Because as much as I like the guy I am tired of him too
5) To hear the hatred of the crowd when both sides join forces in their hatred
6) To see how long the hatred lasts
7) Because he is so talented and will do a great job in the role
8) No more crappy straight to DVD movies starring him
9) It would shut up so many of his haters and all this perpetual Cena heel talk
10) Because kids gotta grow some time

Now Crock, Sly and KB give me your reasons you want him as a fan to stay the way he is?

And here's what I don't understand. What's the point? Why turn Cena heel? Do people actually have a reason, other than "to change things up"?

Disposition turns should have a purpose, usually to put a wrestler more over with a crowd. Everyone talks about how Cena should turn heel, why he should turn...but no one ever seems to think about what a heel Cena should do. What's the benefit of having a heel Cena?

Are we going to have heel Cena feud with Punk? Of course not, we just did that. Heel Cena vs. Orton? What's the point, when we've already seen it multiple times over the years? What exactly is gained by a heel Cena?

This whole "turn Cena heel" is so completely short-sighted it never fails to amaze me how often it comes up. The WWE doesn't need a heel Cena, there's no point in it.

The idea (I presume) is that Cena is booed by the crowd and heels should be booed. This goes in the face of almost every idea in modern wrestling as thought of by the internet, but that's a different story. Let's look back at the ancestor of this: Hulk Hogan.

If you watch Hogan in late 1995 and early 1996, the fans did not care. I mean they really didn't care. You wouldn't hear pops when Hogan came out. You didn't hear them in WWF in 93 and you heard a moderate one when he arrived in WCW (after his initial appearances that is). In short, Hogan's time as being the ultimate good guy had passed and you could hear it by the crowd. It wasn't booing. It was a lack of a reaction. The fans simply weren't interested in Hogan anymore, at least not as he had been for so long.

This couldn't be more different with Cena. He is the ONLY wrestler today that gets a reaction from everyone. He's the Tim Tebow of the WWE: everyone has an opinion on the guy. That right there is enough reason to keep him on top like he is today: it's working. If those reactions go away and the "Let's Go Cena/Cena Sucks" dueling chants go away, then we can talk about the heel turn because a change might be needed. This is a fine version of if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Lots of reasons:

Because we, as wrestling fans, can never cheer someone who does the right thing. And people wonder why wrestling is looked down upon in society.
If by "Super," you mean booked like a beast, look no further than Mark Henry.
What happens when the answer inevitably turns out to be "no"? They turn him face again and the whole thing is a waste?
Can't really fault anyone for that.
Oh please, like Cena hasn't gotten enough hatred throughout his career.
Um, until he turns face again? How is that even a question?
This is correct.
No one is forcing you to watch them.
"Shutting up the haters" is in direct contradiction to point number five.
:rolleyes:

Those feuds have been done, time and time again, you said so yourself. With Cena as the heel, things could be much more interesting. Again, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but Cena as the heel would be different, and probably more entertaining (given how many matches these guys have already had against one another).
Much more interesting how? Because Cena will sneak attack people and then run away in fear when they try to get back? How is that more interesting, when it's the same heel tactics we see every week from the plethora of heels the WWE currently has?

How would it be more interesting?

I have no idea what kind of heel Cena would be. I'm not sure he'd be a coward like Hogan and Austin were. Maybe he'd be a complete badass. Who knows. You can say it's not time, but you can't say it wouldn't be interesting.
I can say it wouldn't be interesting, because a) we know what heels do, and there's no reason Cena would do those things, and b) Cena is easily the most interesting character the WWE has.

At this moment? I agree.
There's no reason for Cena to go heel in the next several years, unless we see the rise of the next Steve Austin. Until there's a big time face the WWE can hand the ball off to, one that John Cena HASN'T feuded extensively with, there's no reason for Cena to go heel in the prime of his career.

Main point - we don't know where Vince is at with this. Sooner or later, it's going to happen.
Maybe....maybe not. Sting has never really been a heel. Sure, TNA tried, but you see how miserably that failed. The Undertaker was briefly a heel, but again, you see how miserably that worked, and he was only turned heel because Vince had Steve Austin.

As I said, Cena is very close to becoming beyond the idea of face or heel, and he is simply a superstar who does his thing and is himself. Cena can feud with faces or heels, and the WWE has far more room for creativity with Cena's character in its current form.

Heck, look what Cena's character has done just this year. It's made main-eventers out of both Miz and Punk, and is the foundation for the epic dream match at next year's Wrestlemania. The fact Cena plays such a controversial character (as the WWE always says) has far more interest for fans than playing to the traditional face or heel disposition.

But, regardless, it's going to happen, at some point.
Never did for Ricky Steamboat. Or Dusty Rhodes. :shrug:

Lots of reasons:

Yeah...not ONE of those things has anything to do with pro wrestling stories. Look at your list...not ONE thing has anything to do with the actual pro wrestling itself.

That's what I mean when I say there would be no point. Everything you listed is related only to off-screen preferences and hopes. I win.

Now Crock, Sly and KB give me your reasons you want him as a fan to stay the way he is?
Haven't I done so multiple times already? Because a heel turn would accomplish nothing, there would be no point, Cena is already the most interesting character on the show, he's already made two main-eventers this year and is building up for possibly the greatest Wrestlemania buyrate in history. Cena's character is flexible in storylines, as he can work with either faces or heels, and have equal credibility in the storylines. His character allows for the evolution of his opponents character, in whatever manner the WWE decides.

I want him to stay the way he is because he's easily the most interesting and developed character in the WWE.

Cena isn't turning heel prior to Mania. At Mania? I suppose it's possible, but very unlikely. I think his heel character is set, whenever they decide to pull the trigger. It's not like he doesn't have a million or so reasons to turn on the fans. I'm sure it will be awesome when it goes down, but I'm not sure Vince and company have enough confidence in any of the current "top faces" (Punk, Orton, etc). I could be wrong.

I agree with mania being the time to do it. Much like Austin and Bret Hart did... as a matter of fact Cena and Hart are a lot alike in terms of this subject of character. Hart was loved for a long time.. but got stale and they turned him heel.. while turning Austin face..

Cena could very well go down the same path for his character.. but I agree with what most said.. most of the time once someone goes heel, when they return face its never the same...

Unless you're Hogan, Savage, Austin, Rock, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back