• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SummerSlam: John Cena vs. Batista

I can't help but keep feeling this was the poor man's Hogan vs Warrior. It had no build, though it didn't need it to gain attention, and it was at Summerslam instead of Mania. The match itself was just ok. It was way too short for what you would expect the WWE to have for a Mega Match, but it seems they wanted to save the time for HIAC, and was slow paced nonsense for a good chunk. I have been anticipating seeing how this match would be booked almost as much as I have been anticipating just enjoying it in general. Overall, it was a letdown on both ends. The match hype was barely there, the match itself was subpar, and Batista was booked over Cena.

Side note for all the Cena haters- He is 4-5 on PPV since returning. Thats right, he's lost more than he has won. Please continue to call him superman and talk about how you are sick of him beating your favorite REAL wrestlers.

I can't help but keep feeling this was the poor man's Hogan vs Warrior. It had no build, though it didn't need it to gain attention, and it was at Summerslam instead of Mania. The match itself was just ok. It was way too short for what you would expect the WWE to have for a Mega Match, but it seems they wanted to save the time for HIAC, and was slow paced nonsense for a good chunk. I have been anticipating seeing how this match would be booked almost as much as I have been anticipating just enjoying it in general. Overall, it was a letdown on both ends. The match hype was barely there, the match itself was subpar, and Batista was booked over Cena.

Side note for all the Cena haters- He is 4-5 on PPV since returning. Thats right, he's lost more than he has won. Please continue to call him superman and talk about how you are sick of him beating your favorite REAL wrestlers.

yeah I was upset Cena lost too...but I really enjoyed the tail end of the match with the amazing counter into an FU that Batista kicked out of.Cena kicking out of Big Dave's first Batista Bomb.Then planting him with a second.The figure 4 and STFU were both applied expertly. Hell Batista even pulled out Samoa Joe's Clutch. Great match to me I just wish cena would have won. I wasn't happy about the buildup either.I wish it had been at Wrestlemania.

I thought this was actually a pretty good match. I am really disappointed by the clean ending that makes it just seem that is that.
Makes no sense to not plan on taking this further.
As someone else said ... is Cena going to win any matches ever again? Since his DQ win at No Way Out he has:

WM 24: LOSS
Backlash: LOSS
J. Day: WIN
ONS: WIN
NOC: LOSS (all but negating the previous two wins in the JBL feud)
GAB: LOSS
SS: LOSS
2-5 in the last seven PPV with both wins over JBL who he subsequently lost to. I mean, if this was not scripted this guy would have to be considered below Punk, Batista and JBL at least on the RAW standings board.

That was a damn good match. With good build that match could have been a easy 4 star match.
So can people now PLEASE stop bitching that Batista and Cena cant wrestle. This is the proof that they can have a very good match.
The IWC must be in shock after their match!
Really good match and a nice clean finish.

I must admit, the match did surprise me, it was pretty decent....
and this win will probably put Batista in a number one contender spot since there's no other cotender at the moment with Jericho still feuding with HBK, Kane in an angle with HBK and Cena needing momentum before getting another title shot. And hopefully we've seen the end of JBL in the title picture, at least for now.

Wow. That's the only word I can use to describe this match. I was into it from the beginning, and I didn't think I'd get into it at all. Anyone that has read many of my posts will know I'm a critic of both of these guys, and thought together would make their matches worse than usual. I was pleasantly surprised. Right from the beginning I was transfixed.

I think if this match had had a bigger buildup people would be talking about it as MOTY. I don't think it was, but many will I think. With a better buildup it would have been better though, and it's the only thing that let it down. That being said, if they can have a good match with almost no buildup, what will future matches be like, when fans are really involved in a storyline with them?

Match of both these guys careers if you ask me. Loved it.

This match definitely exceeded my expectations (so did HHH vs. Khali so you can tell my expectations were in the shitter). I loved the powerbomb spot when Cena jumped from the top rope and got caught. The only thing that bothered me was the ending. Deep down, I was hoping for Orton to run in and give Batista the assist. Even though I knew that was a little bit of a pipe dream, I still didn't want a clean finish, especially since Punk/JBL was clean, HHH/Khali was clean, and you knew that the HIAC would be clean. WWE could have thrown us a DQ of some sort or a run in during this match to atleast keep the feud going. I hope they continue it.

This match definitely exceeded my expectations (so did HHH vs. Khali so you can tell my expectations were in the shitter). I loved the powerbomb spot when Cena jumped from the top rope and got caught. The only thing that bothered me was the ending. Deep down, I was hoping for Orton to run in and give Batista the assist. Even though I knew that was a little bit of a pipe dream, I still didn't want a clean finish, especially since Punk/JBL was clean, HHH/Khali was clean, and you knew that the HIAC would be clean. WWE could have thrown us a DQ of some sort or a run in during this match to atleast keep the feud going. I hope they continue it.

i agree with everybody who said they didnt expect this to be as good as it was i didnt either.
and yea i was expecting orton to come out too to help batista ive been waiting for it since ons when orton ask batista to join up with him but anyway im sure there will be a rematch at unforgiven and cena will win this time thats how it always happens

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back