• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Official] Hulk Hogan Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all you WWE marks, this is great news for the business. I don't see it becoming anything like the old WCW. Finally maybe we could see a boom in the wrestling industry...My dream is for TNA to become legit competition for the WWE...Then maybe, hopefully Vince can get his head out of his ass and put on a good product...I mean how many ppv's in a row are we going to see the same f'n matches over and over again..But we shall see where this leads us. Don't see anything negative this can do to the business...TNA isnt exactly popular right now so it couldn't hurt...Lets just hope that TNA doesn't switch their catchphrase from "Cross the Line" to TNA "Where the big boys play!"

There is no way that Dixie Carter is going to stop pushing the younger talent because of Hogan, she said that TNA needed to go in a different direction by focusing on the younger talent, she's not just suddenly going to flip flop because of Hogan.
Adding Hogan is a win win situation, it draws attention to TNA while the attitude era creative team of Russo, Ferrara, Bischoff showcase their creative talent.
God I hope Dixie Carter can land Paul Heyman as the last piece of the puzzle for the creative team.

Hogan will be used fine.
Bischoff will better the creative team (which is already talented with Russo and Ferrara).
TNA will NOT start looking like the sinking ship WCW was. TNA is not and has not been a sinking ship unlike WCW.

This is the best news for TNA and to a certain extent WWE for ages. Now that hogan and bichoff are on tna, maybe the competition may start to heat up. Also I can't help but notice that this decision may have been taken as a result of speculations that vince was trying to ambush the hulkamania tour. Therefore, as a way to get back at vince, the hulkster and argubley the greatest creative writer/producer what ever you want to call him, should only help tna go in the right direction. Hell, who knows - maybe sting will stay on for a few more years. Hopefully, as Eric said above me,
God I hope Dixie Carter can land Paul Heyman as the last piece of the puzzle for the creative team.

This will be the greatest thing that has happened to TNA since sting decided to sign up.

This is totally awesome. Wrestling is getting really good these past couple of months. WWE is starting to get that slight edge back to keep their fans happy. TNA has been picking up for a few months too and with this now happening I am really excited. Hopefully Hogan doesn't abuse creative control and put himself over everyone. He needs to be in the Sting-like role. He has to help build up the younger talent/future stars of the industry.

Having Bischoff and Hogan there is going to be epic. They will bring in tons of ratings hopefully and will bring TNA up a few notches. I am really looking forward to this.

I dont know guys so is he coming in to wrestle? If so then how many matches does he have left 2 maybe? Will he reunite with big sexy hey get Scott hall sober and we have the old NWO? Even tho they can use the name... This is big for TNA kinda to ahve his name but really what does the Hulkster have left in his tank and bad hip?

This is a good point. However, Hogan is all that WCW needed to rise above the WWE. Don't underestimate the power of Hulk Hogan's self-promoting marketing machine. Especially because of the fact that supposedly he's now the one in charge... not on television, but for real. Bubba said he's the "real boss."

Yes all WCW needed was Hogan.... plus the unlimited budget and network support. Yeah, Hogan was a huge component of that, don't get me wrong... but it's not like he SINGLE-HANDEDLY brought WCW to the pinnacle. Besides... that was 1996 and TNA is not WCW.

If Hogan wanted creative control, if he's going to wrestle ect, then he could get it, easily.

He's the biggest name in professional wrestling. TNA have always wanted him. I'm sure Hogan is getting paid a shit load of money for this, but for Hogan to go down to TNA, would mean there must be other incentives. Why miss out on the big WrestleMania payday? For me, he's got more power with the contract than they're letting out.

A question for everyone:

How many people are excited about this news because they are hoping for another Monday Night Wars and the eventual return of the WWE to an Attitude Era type greatness?

I am excited because competition makes for a better product on all sides.

This is something every single wrestling fan should be happy for, because it forces everyone to work that much harder, and thus we the fans benefit from it. In turn, it creates a thriving wrestling business.

Now, as far as WWE returning to an Attitude Era product ... frankly I could care less if it is WWE or TNA at this point. Vince abandoned his fans that made him successful in that Era. He has sold out to advertisers. Therefore, my loyalty to Vince McMahon is gone.

This time, it will more than likely be TNA who puts out an Attitude Era similar product, if anyone. They are the ones better positioned to have an Attitude Era product, as opposed to Vince. The lines have been drawn. Vince wants kids and families. TNA wants older teens and adults.

However, to me, it doesn't even have to be an Attitude Era product that TNA puts out. Just something, anything different than what WWE is currently putting out.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the likes of Triple H getting creative control in the WWE and doing everything possible over the last few years to bury Hogan's legacy and make Ric Flair out to be the biggest thing the WWE ever had? I'm pretty sure that's some of the added incentive there.

The WWE had it's chance to bring this guy in, but Vince refuses to do it. That's McMahon's perogative and I get it. Hogan has been a free agent for what, 6 years now as far as full time performer. He's a guy that loves the business and wants to be in and aroudn the business, eventually this was going to happen. Hogan has a new lease on life, and something for him to do with his time instead of dealing with his personal issues all of the time.

The WWE didn't want him, TNA did, simple as that.

Yes all WCW needed was Hogan.... plus the unlimited budget and network support. Yeah, Hogan was a huge component of that, don't get me wrong... but it's not like he SINGLE-HANDEDLY brought WCW to the pinnacle. Besides... that was 1996 and TNA is not WCW.

It was about 30% money and 70% Hogan's star-power. Keep in mind that the media blitz that was generated in newspapers, on television and in the tabloids raised the ratings for the premier of Nitro. Hogan did that on his own... he didn't need Turner's money. Of course, WCW programming needed funds in order to move the product to Universal Studios and gain the time slot on weekly television, but TNA has those things already.

I just don't think Hogan can be a full time wrestler, or even semi for TNA. He's had injury problems, which I hope he's over now. I wouldn't be surprised if they only had "super" matches with him; i.e Sting & Angle. But even then, if he did go full time, what sort of direction would it go on?

Surely they'd centre the show around Hogan. That's fine, he's their biggest star. But then the rest of the show goes down, because they'll all be on Hogan. Think of what happened in WCW. Not saying it will happen, but yeah.

Hmm, just heard a little bit ago. I am interested in Eric Bischoff for the most part long term for the company. He is one of the, if not, greatest minds in the past 20 years of wrestling. I loved watching his product, and I love his on screen character. If he does both, then this is a major step for a company that is looking to move, and possibly hit the road more often.

Hulk Hogan is that. He is a major draw that will cause TNA to start selling out larger venues. They need to get advertising that everywhere they can. Does Brooke still have her show? Use that. Bubba? Use that. Billboards? USe them. TV? Use them. This can cause a draw from other programs back into the world of wrestling just to see Hogan.

I am excited because competition makes for a better product on all sides.

This is something every single wrestling fan should be happy for, because it forces everyone to work that much harder, and thus we the fans benefit from it. In turn, it creates a thriving wrestling business.

Now, as far as WWE returning to an Attitude Era product ... frankly I could care less if it is WWE or TNA at this point. Vince abandoned his fans that made him successful in that Era. He has sold out to advertisers. Therefore, I have zero loyalty to Vince McMahon.

This time, it will more than likely be TNA who puts out an Attitude Era similar product, if anyone. They are the ones better positioned to have an Attitude Era product, as opposed to Vince. The lines have been drawn. Vince wants kids and families. TNA wants older teens and adults.

However, to me, it doesn't even have to be an Attitude Era product that TNA puts out. Just something, anything different than what WWE is currently putting out.

Beautifully said Sidious...I couldn't have put it a better way...Vince totally abandoned every single one of his hardcore fans...Unfortunatly i still watch each and every week to see if today is the today the product gets better...Its more of a chore now more then anything..Been watching since WM 6 religiously....Its been almost ten years now where there has been no legit competition..This news today gives me hope...People bash Hogan for not putting over young talent...where a guy like the Undertaker(who doesn't need a belt) does the same thing...This is coming from a huge taker Mark!

It was about 30% money and 70% Hogan's star-power. Keep in mind that the media blitz that was generated in newspapers, on television and in the tabloids raised the ratings for the premier of Nitro. Hogan did that on his own... he didn't need Turner's money. Of course, WCW programming needed funds in order to move the product to Universal Studios and gain the time slot on weekly television, but TNA has those things already.

OK... but again... that was 1994 when he signed (96 when it boomed... nWo and all)

This is 2009, he doesn't have that star power anymore, even with Hogan Knows Best and American Gladiators etc... plus with everything pertaining to the divorce and Nick's incarceration etc... it's not like he has the same money as he did in 1994 either. Besides, it wasn't Hogan signing that made wCw boom... don't forget he went pretty stale pretty fast. It was the heel turn and the nWo.

A bigger story? I'm not sure there could be a bigger story. Cena to TNA, maybe?

In response to Deviltaker95, it all depends on what you're more into. If you've been watching WWE a lot, you're going to tolerate the bad stuff more. With TNA, you'll preffer it. No problem. I don't think either company needs to go Attitude Era to become bigger. Obviously Bischoff could pull off another Attitude Era quite easily. He knows how it's done, so that's fine.

So it's Official! The biggest name in Pro Wrestling History has joined TNA - Hulk Hogan. He's due to debut next week and could have a huge say on whether TNA can make it to the next level and possibly go further onto compete with the rival company WWE. Major Name and Signing and look forward to his role back in full time wrestling. Thoughts?

A bigger story? I'm not sure there could be a bigger story. Cena to TNA, maybe?

In response to Deviltaker95, it all depends on what you're more into. If you've been watching WWE a lot, you're going to tolerate the bad stuff more. With TNA, you'll preffer it. No problem. I don't think either company needs to go Attitude Era to become bigger. Obviously Bischoff could pull off another Attitude Era quite easily. He knows how it's done, so that's fine.

Well at the moment I'm more into TNA...As the months go on and on the product is just better..Don't need Cena vs. Orton shoved down my throat each and every month. Along w/ other matches that go on and on and on..Also don't need an iron man matched being stopped in the middle of it to wipe blood off of Cena's head, just so Linda McMahon could run for Senate...If she gets in the product will be 100X worse, which will benefit TNA in the long run

So if there's a bigger story, then it can only be a handful of things.

Bigger arena, second programming, Ric Flair, Kennedy, Umaga? - it must be great but I can't anything beyond those possibilities.

Ric Flair has said time after time that he wouldn't sign with TNA, due to his loyalty to Vince McMahon.

& if it's bigger news than Hogan & Bischoff, Flair wouldn't be it. He could do less than Hogan. I'm thinking they've got a new timeslot, or that a rich investor is going to come into the company. Only time will tell.

Also just saw with one or two other people in the thread that Ric Flair is being talked to about joining the company. I can see him doing a part time deal with TNA, along with his other Indy shows around the world he was looking to do.

Apparently, that was what he was looking for from Vince, but Vince refused to allow him to have any control over his dates outside of WWE. So Flair refused to sign. He'll probably get that deal in TNA and they will allow him to work outside of the company.

Ric Flair has said time after time that he wouldn't sign with TNA, due to his loyalty to Vince McMahon.

& if it's bigger news than Hogan & Bischoff, Flair wouldn't be it. He could do less than Hogan. I'm thinking they've got a new timeslot, or that a rich investor is going to come into the company. Only time will tell.

Flair is also the "dirtiest player in the game". His opinion changes with the direction of the wind. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back out of those words. Jericho will be ordered by Vince very shortly to go on TV and call Flair a hypocrite.

WOW definitely a surprising turn of events... Now, with TNA's more (or less) recent acquisitions of established older stars such as Nash, Sting, Steiner, Foley, Angle, it is quite a logical thing to think they had been gunning for Hogan as well. I'm just really surprised it worked out (because it must've cost them a load of money, but I suppose Hogan needs some after all the divorce issues and what not)... as for the real impact it will have on TNA, I don't know.

I think it's a nice thing that they have Hogan popping in, just for name value reasons alone, but there's no way he'll be around for any longer period of time whatsoever. And even though this of course looks a lot like WCW in the mid nineties before the great era of Monday Night Wars started, I don't think the same kind of thing will happen now between WWE and TNA. I mean, Hogan is THE man as he revolutionized wrestling not once, but twice... but come on, even Hulk Hogan is only human after all, his body is really worn and he is approaching 60 years of age... He just can't do it a third time, not even Hulk Hogan.

But I think that this signing will give TNA another bit of credibility boost, especially with an audience that has so far not paid too much attention to it. For even though TNA have already several big old time names on their roster, those with big name value from the old days (Nash and Sting) are just way past their prime, and Kurt Angle, as great as he is, never was the huge star that Nash, Sting or especially Hogan were. So TNA having Hogan on their roster, even if only for a short while (and I'll be damned, seeing the Hulkster and Sting in the ring again another time is still a great thing haha) will definitely be an eye-catcher. Bischoff being around isn't exactly a bad thing either... for say what you will about him, he has a nose for the business... and that is something TNA really needs right now, more so than even the huge name value of Hulk Hogan.

So, to sum things up: I don't think this means anywhere near as much as WCW's signing of Hogan meant back in the 90ies, but it is a bold move by TNA and it could shake things up a little, and maybe put TNA back on track... they have a good product, but just need bigger exposure to get people hooked... and Hogan being there could help that. Simple as that. So I'll definitely tune in and see what they do with Hogan.

A lot of this is going to depend on what Hogan does and for how long. If it's a short term thing as in a month or so, it's a big pop but not a lot of stuff happening with it. If it's a long term thing, then the wars might get started all over again. Ok that's not going to happen, but this could be what TNA needed. Hogan is the epitome of big stars and getting him on TNA programming is nothing but huge. They've been growing for a good while now, and while they got guys like Angle, Nash, Booker and Foley, those four all pale in comparison to Hogan. TNA instantly looks mainstream now and legit, which is what they've been lacking. Until now they've been the little indy that could. Now they're looking mainstream.

Funny how Bischoff criticized TNA during being interviewed by the sun earlier this year.
“It’s a small organization that doesn’t have very much vision,” Bischoff said.

Bischoff said he didn’t want to work with people in the creative process “that couldn’t get a job in WWE or shouldn’t have had a job in WCW.”

Bischoff continued: “There’s no vision for that company. They are people who have never been to the dance. They’ve never been a part, really, of any of the decision-making processes that led to the success of the industry. Some of them happen to have been working there while other people did it, but have never really done it for themselves. They just don’t have the feel for it. So that’s the reason we wouldn’t want to be there.”

A couple of mixed thoughts on this though.1.This may finally bring about the firing and end of the career of Vince"the promotion killer"Russo. 2.Ok so we've got Hogan and Nash back together,i sense the letters N W and O will be talked about alot especially since MEM is dead and Nash is in a feud with Eric Young. 3.Bishoff will most likely see this as a means to bring the company to live TV as this will send the ratings through the roof and honestly what competition is there on Thursday nights for TNA. and 4.Will this kill the pushes of some younger guys like Daniels,Matt Morgan and Hernandez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back