Nominate Bands for the WZ Rock Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think it should be based on when the most success came not in What decade they started. If going on that that would mean Fleetwood Mac would be in this section. This means that The Moody Blues and Zepplin should be in the 70's.

I hear ya. Some of the debut success was huge for bands like Zeppelin, and for the Moody Blues, Night in White Satin was late 60's. I am going after the decade they are identified with. Springsteen is a 70's artist, as is Cheap Trick, but I put them in the 80's regions.

I hear ya. Some of the debut success was huge for bands like Zeppelin, and for the Moody Blues, Night in White Satin was late 60's. I am going after the decade they are identified with. Springsteen is a 70's artist, as is Cheap Trick, but I put them in the 80's regions.

Zepplin is more of a 70's band in most minds. Led Zepplin 4 came out in the 70's - that's when they were considered the best band in the world. Plus, every album of theirs that came out in the 70's was a #1 in England and #1 in US (except for one, which was a #2)

70's First Round Matches

Pink Floyd vs Supertramp
The Clash vs Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
Kiss vs Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Billy Joel vs Todd Rundgren

Iron Maiden vs Grand Funk Railroad
Kansas vs Three Dog Night
Judas Priest vs Peter Frampton
The Police vs The Cars

Van Halen vs Heart
Tom Petty vs Bad Company
Rush vs Steppenwolf
David Bowie vs REO Speedwagon

Jethro Tull vs Pat Benatar
Styx vs The Ramones
Lynard Skynard vs America
Deep Purple vs Foreigner

Queen vs Blondie
Chicago vs Santana
Elton John vs Marshall Tucker Band
Boston vs Ted Nugent

Black Sabbath vs J. Giles Band
ZZ Top vs The Allman Brothers
Fleetwood Mac vs The Doobie Brothers
Eric Clapton vs Yes

Aerosmith vs Steve Miller Band
Rod Stewart vs The Sex Pistols
Alice Cooper vs Stevie Wonder
The Eagles vs Bachman Turner Overdrive

Journey vs George Thorogood & The Destroyers
Blue Oyster Cult vs Dire Straits
AC/DC vs Alan Parsons Project
Bob Seger vs Iggy Pop and the Stooges

Shouldn't Elton John go into the 50s/60s?, maybe swap them for Zepplin?, Cause IDK, I've always thought of Elton John as more of 60s musician, plus he took a hiatus from his music career in the mid to late 70s also, and like Shadow said in regards to Zepplin, they are thought of more as a 70s band

Shouldn't Elton John go into the 50s/60s?, maybe swap them for Zepplin?, Cause IDK, I've always thought of Elton John as more of 60s musician, plus he took a hiatus from his music career in the mid to late 70s also, and like Shadow said in regards to Zepplin, they are thought of more as a 70s band

If there is enough support, I am flexible. I felt Elton was more identifiable with the 70's, and to be honest, so what if Zeppelin IV came out in the 70's? Many Zeppelin fans claim 1-3 were better ALBUMS anyway, despite the absence of Stairway to Heaven. Ask my fiancee, who is a Zepp freak and helped me with this list - Zeppelin 1 was the best of all of their albums based on its overall creativity. She is saying this to me as I type it. It's weird.

Zepplin is more of a 70's band in most minds. Led Zepplin 4 came out in the 70's - that's when they were considered the best band in the world. Plus, every album of theirs that came out in the 70's was a #1 in England and #1 in US (except for one, which was a #2)

1) Led Zeppelin II was #1 on the Billboard Charts in 1969. The MAJOR hit from that album, "Whole Lotta Love," hit #4.

2) Zepp 2 included songs such as Ramble On, The Lemon Song, and Heartbreaker.

3) Zepp 1, also from 1969 (WHAT A YEAR!) went 8x Platinum with songs like Good Times, Bad Times, Dazed and Confused, Communication Breakdown, and Black Mountain Side.

If there is enough support, I am flexible. I felt Elton was more identifiable with the 70's, and to be honest, so what if Zeppelin IV came out in the 70's? Many Zeppelin fans claim 1-3 were better ALBUMS anyway, despite the absence of Stairway to Heaven. Ask my fiancee, who is a Zepp freak and helped me with this list - Zeppelin 1 was the best of all of their albums based on its overall creativity. She is saying this to me as I type it. It's weird.
1) Led Zeppelin II was #1 on the Billboard Charts in 1969. The MAJOR hit from that album, "Whole Lotta Love," hit #4.

2) Zepp 2 included songs such as Ramble On, The Lemon Song, and Heartbreaker.

3) Zepp 1, also from 1969 (WHAT A YEAR!) went 8x Platinum with songs like Good Times, Bad Times, Dazed and Confused, Communication Breakdown, and Black Mountain Side.

Maybe #1 is the pinnacle of LZ's creativity, but we're talking about when these bands were most mainstream. Usually the hardcore fans differ from the casual music observer's. The Rock and Roll HOF, which stands to point out the best in music, stated that #4 "remains an enduring rock milestone and their defining work." When people think of LZ they think of Stairway to Heaven/#4.

LZ #4 went 23x Platinum, which is third most by any artist of all-time. It had Black Dog, Stairway to Heaven, When the Levee Breaks, etc.

Later on, Physical Graffiti went 16x platinum. That is a testament to their overall success in the 70's. Maybe their work was best in the 60's, but they held out through the entire first half of the 70's selling tons and tons of records - that is the point where they were BIGGEST.

Does the band have to be popular or mainstream? I'm asking this because their are many great bands that were/are neither that still are excellence. For eample some Hardcore punk bands from the 70's and 80's werent by any means popular or mainstream, but still are considered legends by their respective fanbase. Heres some I would like to throw out there that would not be in this otherwise.

Firstly, my personal favorite band of all time Minor Threat. They in my mind are THE legendsof hardcore music. They were only active from 19801983, so consider them in the 80's region obviously.

Another one out there is Black Flag. They were hardcore in every aspect. Active years for them were 19761986, and a short stint in 2003. I would say more of their good stuff came in the 80's soyoucan throw them in the region as well.

Anyone else think they deserveto be in this tournament?

Probably not, as IC25 has said about 50 times. If they aren't mainstream, they won't likely get in. Why?

Plus I and many others have no clue to who the hell they are. Especially if it's punk garbage and 30 years old.

Probably not, as IC25 has said about 50 times. If they aren't mainstream, they won't likely get in. Why?

Plus I and many others have no clue to who the hell they are. Especially if it's punk garbage and 30 years old.

In essence, this debate is to decide who the greatest band of all time is. A band like Black Flag has NO RIGHT to that title. Not that they aren't a good band or are not worthy of being somebody's favorite, but there is a reason they are not discussed among the all time greats.

Just like the NCAA's and the Wrestlezone tournament, one or two deserving "bubble bands" will be left out. But if they were THAT close to being bubble bands, they have no claim to the title anyway. (Not that Supertramp does, but ditchdiggers are people too.)

Justinsayne is our resident up-and-coming / underground guru, and if anyone else wants to start a thread about underrated or underground bands, well, then I encourage it. Anything that gets the music section going!

Heree are some you should include in the 00's

Three Days Grace
Angels and Airwaves
Anti-Flag
We The Kings
Boys Like Girls
+44
Daughtry
Third Eye Blind
Bouncing Souls
Rise Against
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Godsmack
Sublime?(Dont know if their 00'sor 90's, but still you can't go wrong with Sublime)

Also, I have not seen Bon Jovi mentioned, they should be in the 80's for sure. And The Jimi Hendrix Experience not being in this whatsup with that?

Heree are some you should include in the 00's

Three Days Grace
Angels and Airwaves
Anti-Flag
We The Kings
Boys Like Girls
+44
Daughtry
Third Eye Blind
Bouncing Souls
Rise Against
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Godsmack
Sublime?(Dont know if their 00'sor 90's, but still you can't go wrong with Sublime)

Also, I have not seen Bon Jovi mentioned, they should be in the 80's for sure. And The Jimi Hendrix Experience not being in this whatsup with that?

Good work my friend - you found somebody that everybody skipped over. Hendrix and friends should be in it over a ton of other bands in the 50's-60's.

I'd just like to throw out another nomination for the Raconteurs for the 2000's -- they put some great music out.

Holy shit, nice catch!

Hendrix was ABSOLUTELY on the original list...not sure why I forgot to put him in the bracket. I will change it, just gotta decide who to drop.

Dude...IC25...you missed A LOT of music from the 50s/60s bracket that should be in there.

First off, The Byrds. One of the most influential bands of all time, the most popular folk-rock band probably ever, was the launching pad for the career of David Crosby. Had countless number one hits and exploded all over America in 1965. Have to be in here.

The Velvet Underground. Another one of the most influential bands of all time, and the obvious precursor to punk rock and art rock. For them not to be on here again would be a disgrace.

The Band. Another one of the most popular bands of the 60s, "The Weight" was one of the most popular songs of the 60s and is still a staple of radio. Toured nonstop with Bob Dylan and helped jumpstart the country rock movement.

Donovan. The English Bob Dylan, and one of the biggest British acts of all time. Hits include "Season of the Witch", "Atlantis", "Catch the Wind", "Hurdy Gurdy Man" and "Sunshine Superman". I think you coulud easily replace the Rascals (why the fuck are they in here?) with Donovan or any of the above bands.

Buffalo Springfield. "Stop Children, whats that sound, everybody look whats going down" sounds familiar? The band that launched the career of Neil Young, and sold copious amounts of records at the same time. Another one of the first country-rock bands, and a huge influence that must be here.

The Animals. I can't even count how many hits they had in Britain and abroad. House of the Rising Sun should be enough alone to put them in here.

And obviously Jimi Hendrix, which someone else already mentioned.

I understand theres only a limited amount of room for bands, but if the 70s have 64 bands, so should the 60s. It had just as many fantastic and popular bands as the 70s I'd dare say, and I'd also say it's the more influential decade of the two. But thats up to you IC25.

Oh and why the hell are T-Rex in the 60's region? They were totally 70s all the way. Glam-rock was a 70s thing.

Now obviously if you don't want to expand the region, thats fine. But without a doubt, at the very least, the Velvet Underground & the Byrds need to be in this. Swap them in for Chubby Checker & the Rascals, who no one here has probably heard of, and who both enjoyed only a very brief time of popularity.

Just some suggestions.

The Byrds were originally in the tournament, but when I came up with 34 or 35 bands, they were among the casualties. I'll reconsider them if enough people request it. Same with Velvet Underground and especially Buffalo Springfield. The Rascals don't mean shit to me, they were a band I learned about during my research. Infinately replaceable. I don't know if Donovon will get the support needed to get in, but again, I am open.

The Animals ARE in the tournament. Seeded #19 in the 50's and 60's, facing Sly & The Family Stone in round one.

Hendrix was a boo-boo. He'll be there, and a high seed. I have to jostle things around there, not sure HOW I missed him. Sorry, everyone!

Until the voting begins, NONE of this is 100% final. I want everyone to feel that there are the right bands in this thing. I for one feel that having 64 bands in the 50's and 60's is overkill. But this is why I have a committee.

I dunno if this hasn't been suggested but for the 50's 60's bracket there should be CROSBY STILLS NASH AND YOUNG!.... seriously come on. who hasn't seen woostock 69' and saw them play Wooden ships? or another one... Deja Vu!

In no particular order or decade.

Amy Macdonald
Audioslave
Rage Against The Machine
Sound Garden
CocoRosie
The Beach Boys (Rock imo)
Blue Oyster Cult
Bluetones
Blur
Stiff Little Fingers
Thin Lizzie
Placebo
The Prodigy
Anthony & The Johnsons
The Cranberries (BEST BAND EVER)
Depeche Mode
10cc
Adam & The Ants
AFI
Aimee Mann (Are solo artists allowed?)
Alice Cooper
America
Bonnie Tyler
Bruce Springsteen
The Charlatans
The Chemical Brothers (If The Prodigy are eligable, then so are they)
The Clas
Climax Blues Band
Coal Chamber
The Coasters

I could come up with more but I won't waste anybodys time. So long as The Cranberries are involved then I'll be happy. It gives me somebody to get behind.

Edit: Goldfrapp. eople will be banned if there is no Goldfrapp.

I dunno if this hasn't been suggested but for the 50's 60's bracket there should be CROSBY STILLS NASH AND YOUNG!.... seriously come on. who hasn't seen woostock 69' and saw them play Wooden ships? or another one... Deja Vu!

CSNY are in already. I wouln't disrespect 4 amazing artists.

EVERYBODY - FOLLOW THE LINK AT THE BOTTOM OF MY SIGNATURE. IT TAKES YOU TO THE BRACKETS FOR THE TOURNEY. 50'S/60'S AND 70'S ARE FINISHED, SO YOU CNA LOOK AT THEM. HENDRIX STILL HAS TO BE ADDED TO THE 60'S END.

Jake, some good nominations in there. I saw AFI on the list - love them too, but I doubt they are going to make a field of 64. RATM, Soundgarden, and Cranberries I can promise will make it. America, Blue Oyster Cult, and Alice Cooper are already seeded in the 70's bracket.

I got bored so I made another list, and like Jake in no order or time region.

Quiet Riot
Slipknot
GreenDay
Blink-182
Disturbed
Creed
Nickelback
Pantera
Metallica
Nirvana
UK Subs
Bikini Kill
Television
The Offspring
Sum 41
Simple Plan

Also, I really want people to get Sublime into this thing, I will run a campaign headquarters for them if they make it.

I got bored so I made another list, and like Jake in no order or time region.

Quiet Riot
Slipknot
GreenDay
Blink-182
Disturbed
Creed
Nickelback
Pantera
Metallica
Nirvana
UK Subs
Bikini Kill
Television
The Offspring
Sum 41
Simple Plan

Also, I really want people to get Sublime into this thing, I will run a campaign headquarters for them if they make it.

Awesome list. Quiet Riot may just miss. Slipknot is likely. Green Day is a definate 90's favorite. Blink 182 is a game time decision. Disturbed will definately be there. Creed and Nickelback will make it, even if only to piss people off. I may send Nickelback against The Cranberries first round just to give Jake people to ban other than me. Pantera, Metallica, and Nirvana will b high seeds in the 90's and any of them may make a run to the final four. Offspring are a lock, Sum 41 has an outside chance. The 90's / 2000's are so stacked with great bands, a great number of you will be FURIOUS at me with the number who miss out. This decade may have more entrants than any others.

Ok, the 80's are gonna be insane. Here is a splatter list of bands people nominated and ones I found. Let me know a) if there are great bands not on this list who need to be in, and b) if there are bands on this list that have NO PLACE in the tournament. Be brutal - it's the only way we'll get this right.

Metallica
Guns and Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bruce Springsteen
The Cure
The Smiths
INXS
Depeche Mode
Sonic Youth
The Pixies
Black Flag
Husker Du
The Replacements
Adam & the Ants
Jesus & Mary Chain
Joy Division
New Order
The Pretenders
The Stone Roses
Violent Femmes
Slayer
Megadeth
Bon Jovi
U2
Motley Crue
A-Ha
Asia
The B52’s
The Black Crowes
The Buggles
Cinderella
Phil Collins
The Cranberries
The Cult
Def Leppard
Devo
Duran Duran
Europe
Eurhythmics
Frankie goes to Hollywood
Faith no More
Guns N Roses
Van Halen (Hagar)
Don Henley
Billy Idol
Michael Jackson?
Jackyl
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
Cyndi Lauper
Huey Lewis and the News
Living Colour
Loverboy
Megadeth
Men At Work
John Cougar Mellencamp
Midnight Oil
Eddie Money
Night Ranger
Ozzy Osbourne
Poison
Quiet Riot
Ratt
R.E.M.
Skid Row
The Stray Cats
The Talking Heads
Tears for Fears
10,000 Maniacs
Tesla
Twisted Sister
Toto
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Warrant
Winger
White Lion
Whitesnake
A Flock of Seaguls
ABBA
Aldo Nova
The Beastie Boys
Billy Squire
Bruce Hornsby
Cutting Crew
Culture Club
Dexy’s Midnight Runners
Don Henley
Erasure
Fine Young Cannibals
Lita Ford
Robert Palmer
Run-DMC
Soft Cell
Survivor
Sugarhill Gang
Sting
Stryper
UB40
Wham!
Jane’s Addiction (80’s? 90’s?)
AC/DC (Johnson)
Queensryche (80’s? 90’s?)
Elvis Costello
Talking Heads

Wait Wait Wait. Iron Maiden is a fucking 80's band. Not a Fucking 70's band. It Formed in the 70's it started getting recognition in 77 Iron Maiden came out in 80. Killers in 81. and Number of the Beast in 82. So nowhere in its releases other than the Soundhouse tapes would it clasify as 70's. It is firmly a NWOBHM band. meaning it is late 70's and 80's but the majority of Iron Maidens if not all of Iron Maidens Great albums and all of their releases came post 1980. So putting them in the 70s is so fucking moronic. research would have solved that so damned easily.

If you are going to have Iron Maiden in the 70s then Def Leppard should be too. And how the hell is Run DMC a Rock group. they aren't. They are Rap. They collaborated with Aerosmith that doesn't mean that they are Rock. Comeon get the brackets right. Don't fuck it up that badly by putting in Run DMC who aren't rock. THEY ARE RAP!! And then being so inconsistent in which era a band is classified in. is it when they formed or when they were most successful or when they were at their best creatively?

WOW, Shadow, you need to take a pill. I know I said be brutal, but holy hell!

Someone nominated Run DMC because of some of their crossover work. They can be easilly lifted out if enough people don't like the crossover.

Maiden is a band on the cusp of two decades. They could go into 80's just fine. They will make noise in either decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back