90's Bracket Discussion

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1990's and 2000's Region Bracket

The 90's and 2000's Region is by far the largest in the field with 128 bands, so no byes or preliminary matches. The nominations for this region were as exhaustive as the other 3 regions combined, but the discussion should be awesome. I have allowed some "wild card" nominations to the field in order to give some underground bands some exposure.

90's and 2000's 1st Round Matches

Nirvana vs Beck
Pearl Jam vs The Deftones
Alice in Chains vs Seven Mary Three
Green Day vs Temple of the Dog
The Offspring vs Fugazi
Bush vs Sevendust
R.H.C.P. vs AFI
S.T.P. vs The Flaming Lips
Live vs The Roots
Soundgargen vs The Gorillaz
The Black Crowes vs Buckcherry
Smashing Pumpkins vs Killswitch Engage
Rage Against the Machine vs Soul Asylum
Collective Soul vs Jimmy Eat World
Tool vs Candlebox
Linkin Park vs Everclear
Radiohead vs Eve 6
Foo Fighters vs The Presdients O.T.U.S.A.
Oasis vs Days of the New / Tantric
Sublime vs Garbage
Nine Inch Nails vs Gin Blossoms
System of a Down vs Orgy
Prince vs Our Lady Peace
Korn vs Sponge
Counting Crows vs Toad the Wet Sprocket
Pantera vs Republica
Fuel vs Matchbox 20
Slayer vs Fishbone
Kid Rock vs Black Label Society
The White Stripes vs NoFx
Blink 182 vs Dave Matthews Band
311 vs Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Blur vs Ministry
Coldplay vs Third Eye Blind
Velvet Revolver vs The Killers
White Zombie vs Hootie & The Blowfish
Spliknot vs Machine Head
Goo Goo Dolls vs Anti-Flag
Hole vs Everlast
Disturbed vs Filter
Weezer vs Rancid
Nickelback vs Silverchair
Primus vs Stabbing Westward
The Cranberries vs Modest Mouse
Muse vs They Might Be Giants
Creed vs Saliva
Blind Melon vs Sugar Ray
Godsmack vs Better Than Ezra
Defiance, OH vs Limp Bizkit
3 Doors Down vs Type O Negative
Ben Fold Five / Ben Folds vs POD
Incubus vs Staind
The Strokes vs Three Days Grace
Lenny Kravitz vs Arctic Monkeys
Coal Chamber vs Papa Roach
Jane's Addiction vs At The Drive In
Marilyn Manson vs Spacemen 3
No Doubt vs Nonpoint
Blues Traveler vs Seether
Prodigy vs The Libertines
Bad Religion vs Drowning Pool
Dream Theatre vs Evanescence
Queens of the Stone Age vs Lacuna Coil
Audioslave vs Breaking Benjamins

In this thread, you all may discuss the general state of the 1990's and 2000's region.

While this may be a stacked reigon I see Nirvana or Pearl Jam as the runaway winner here. Nirvana may have only been active for a few years, but just look at their records. 5albums at number 1 and another at number 3. All of Pearl Jams albums were in the US top 5. That says enough for me.

I don't think I need to campaign for The Cranberries yet. There are only three I'll bother with.

Lenny Kravitz vs Arctic Monkeys:

I hate Lenny Kravitz. But I hate the Arctic Monkeys more. Funking wank.

Coal Chamber vs Papa Roach:

I saw Papa Roach once. There was a fat person with no shirt on. He tried to recreate that scene from Along Came Polly, you know the one. I wouldn't have minded if the band was any good.

Prodigy vs The Libertines:

The Prodigy > The Libertines.

I like both. But The Prodigy are the 2nd best group in this whole shindig.

Wait you have the Cranberries in two regions? I will post up my picks for the matchups when I have time enough to truly do an in depth reasoning behind why I pick Fuel over Matchbox 20 and Dream Theater and Queens of the Stone Age over their respective opponents.

Wait you have the Cranberries in two regions? I will post up my picks for the matchups when I have time enough to truly do an in depth reasoning behind why I pick Fuel over Matchbox 20 and Dream Theater and Queens of the Stone Age over their respective opponents.

Not sure what you mean, the Cranberries are only in the 90's region. If they were duplicated somewhere, please let me know so I can replace them.

Fuel is one of my favorite bands from the 90's - I have seen them in concert 7 times since 2000 and Natural Selection is another album in my top 10. You'll get a lot of help from me helping Fuel go over MB20.

Yeah they are in the 80's bracket getting a Bye.

Here it is
Bands Receiving Byes

Metallica
Guns and Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Bon Jovi

U2
Motley Crue
Sting
Ozzy Osbourne

R.E.M.
Tesla
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Whitesnake

The Cranberries (patience, Jake.)
Def Leppard
Duran Duran
Van Halen (w/ Sammy Hagar)

Michael Jackson
Billy Idol
Megadeth
Iron Maiden

The Cult
Don Henley
Huey Lewis and the News
The Cure

Depeche Mode
Black Flag
Slayer
The Black Crowes

Culture Club
Jane's Addiction
John Cougar Mellencamp
Poison

Twisted Sister
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Elvis Costello
AC/DC (w/ Brian Johnson)

INXS
Bruce Springsteen

And as for the Fuel thing that was an example and where I am going to go with my predictions.

Ok, nice catch Shadow. Cranberries will be a 90's band, so I will select a different 80's band to get a bye in the first round. Thanks man!

Just wanted to let you know you've got Sonic Youth in the 90s and 80s as well.

Thanks for fitting in Modest Mouse, by the way.

Modest Mouse vs. The Cranberries...

Me and Jake are going to have some serious f'n arguments going on during this match up.

Looks great though IC25, now if only you'd improve the 50s & 60s. I'm trying to understand why the 90s and 00's, two decades with arguably the least amount of talent compared to the 80s, 70s, & 60s, gets over 100 bands yet the 50s AND the 60s barely get 30. Absurd. But I PMed you 'bout it anyways, so nevermind.

The Offspring vs. Fugazi...this is going to piss me off I can already tell. Theres going to be masses of people voting for the Offspring because they've never heard of Fugazi nor will they take the time to check them out. Fugazi is about 12,000 times better of a band then the Offspring, so it's a shame really.

This is the one that you seem to be looking at the most but can you give a link to Who voted for who in the main post as it would be interesting to see. And I suspect people haven't voted yet.

This is the one that you seem to be looking at the most but can you give a link to Who voted for who in the main post as it would be interesting to see. And I suspect people haven't voted yet.

Sorry man, I didn't understand what you meant here. What do you want me to do?

You know how in the WZ tournament in the first two rounds the majority of the ones I posted in I put a link to see who voted for who when it was a public vote. And it is when you click to see voting if you haven't voted already.

You know how in the WZ tournament in the first two rounds the majority of the ones I posted in I put a link to see who voted for who when it was a public vote. And it is when you click to see voting if you haven't voted already.

You're referring to "Make poll responses public" right? I have made the poll responses public so we can see who votes for who. I hope that's what you mean.

Yep, that is what I thought. I did that with the votes. If I missed one, it was by accident. Just click the number in the votes area.

This bracket is great, but I just realized that one of my favorite bands didn't make the cut-Shinedown. I can understand why they're not in here (seeing as they have just about zero mainstream popularity), but they are still an awesome band. Just their acoustic cover of Simple Man could tell you that.

This bracket is great, but I just realized that one of my favorite bands didn't make the cut-Shinedown. I can understand why they're not in here (seeing as they have just about zero mainstream popularity), but they are still an awesome band. Just their acoustic cover of Simple Man could tell you that.

LOVE Shinedown. Great band both on albums and live. Honestly, it's probably just a matter of the fact that they haven't but enough time in yet and didn't make the cut against some of the other bands. Sure, they could probably replace some of the other bands on the list, and if we ran nominations over again may have been included - no rhyme or reason, they just didn't get it to bounce their way.

Are you kidding me, Shinedown is terrible, fucking terrible, there is not a single good song by these guys, and seriously they made it big with a cover, just so many other great bands like Limp Bizkit and Orgy:icon_rolleyes:, Shinedown ranks up there with Nickleback and Creed as far as shitty bands go, thank god they didn't make the tournament

Reactions: X
After a long bunch of matches in the 1990's / 2000's region, we only have 8 to go. So far, my seeding has been pretty much spot on, with the top seeds of the 128 generally advancing to the bracket of 64. The biggest upset so far in the first round, at least according to my seeding, was Jimmy Eat World over Collective Soul. It's an upset only in terms of how I seeded the bands, and I certainly understand how it bounced that way.

Also showing you that my seeding was basically spot-on, we are now embroiled in the close-seed matches, like 56 vs 73 all the way up to 64 vs 65, and the matches are DAMN CLOSE! Some of the wild card picks you all demanded (Arctic Monkeys, At The Drive In) are doing quite well and figure to give the top seeds a run in the 2nd round, though they will end up going against the likes of Nirvana, Alice in Chains, etc. The winners of these last matches will ultimately be the 56-64 seeds and face the top eighth of the region.

Thanks to everyone who have participated in the first round of the 90's bracket, from those of you who supported your favorite bands (Sam, Luther, etc.) to those of you who showed up and pissed vinegar about mainstream 90's rock (xfear) - you all made this first week and a half a success.

We kick off the preliminary round of the 80's region after the final 90's votes are tallied.

Are you kidding me, Shinedown is terrible, fucking terrible, there is not a single good song by these guys, and seriously they made it big with a cover, just so many other great bands like Limp Bizkit and Orgy:icon_rolleyes:, Shinedown ranks up there with Nickleback and Creed as far as shitty bands go, thank god they didn't make the tournament

Obviously, you didn't see what me and IC25 said-Shinedown haven't made it big yet. And their cover of "Simple Man" isn't even their best song, neither is their cover of "One" by U2. Go listen to songs like "45", "Some Day", or "Heroes", some of their original stuff. These guys are a great man with an even greater vocalist. If this getting this tourney was based on quality alone, they would be in this thing in a heartbeat, IMO.

Obviously, you didn't see what me and IC25 said-Shinedown haven't made it big yet. And their cover of "Simple Man" isn't even their best song, neither is their cover of "One" by U2. Go listen to songs like "45", "Some Day", or "Heroes", some of their original stuff. These guys are a great man with an even greater vocalist. If this getting this tourney was based on quality alone, they would be in this thing in a heartbeat, IMO.

I have and they suck, like I said they are up there with Creed an Nickleback as far as shitty bands go, and 45 may be one of the single most depressing songs to ever hit radio, I was begging him to pull the fucking trigger about before the song was a fucking minute old, it's terrible, just like every other song they've done, face it the guys are not really all that talented at all, they suck, and they will always suck

Shinedown is complete utter shit. The voice on that clown makes me want to cut my ears off, it's like scratching a fuckin' chalkboard, how you guys like then I'll never know, maybe because your a young teenager and like that kind of trash. IDK, but did you really say heroes was a good song? Really? Complete overplayed borefest music..

If it was based on quality, they still wouldn't make it. Because nothing is worth a listen.

90's Region Update

The first round of the 90's region is basically over. Only a few polls remain open, few of which are actually close. I am happy to just move on now and look at the 80's.

If things hold as expected, the bracket of 64 bands for the 1990's / 2000's is now set. It will be preliminary #1 seed vs the lowest surviving seed, meaning since Jimmy Eat World was the lowest surviving seed (upsetting Collective Soul) they have the unfortunate task of drawing Nirvana in round one. I have the 32 match-ups for the 90's / 00's region saved. This round will take place after the 80's region has been narrowed to 64 as well.

We had ONE tie in all 64 preliminary round matches, and that was Hole tying Everlast. As a result, we will one one triple thread style match in round 2, with The White Stripes vs Hole vs Everlast.

Y2Jake has a daunting task ahead of him on these boards, as he attempts to lead his charge with The Cranberries facing off against WZ Fan Favorite...Pantera.

Following an impressive upset in round 1, Luther Hull's boys from the Arctic Monkeys get set to take on 90's powerhouse...Bush.

We narrowly missed Cornell vs Cornell, as Soundgarden and Audioslave were within one place of meeting in round two, but instead Cornell pulls double duty as Soundgarden faces off against Queens of the Stone Age and Audioslave draws against my boys from Live.

Speaking of "my boys," Fuel JUST missed having to contend with The Cranberries in round one, but instead gets the humorous lyrics and stunning bass riffs of Primus.

Some other interesting 2nd round matches include Oasis vs Incubus and Rage Against the Machine vs Prodigy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back