90's / 00's Region Final Four

Which regional championship would you most like to see in the 90's / 00's?

• Foo Fighters vs Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Foo Fighters vs Alice in Chains

• Green Day vs Red Hot Chili Peppers

• Green Day vs Alice in Chains

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
In stark contrast from the 1980's Region, the Final Four in the 1990's / 2000's region are not representative of the seeding system from top to bottom, and there's more than one plesant surprise mixed in. In a region where old school early-mid 90's grunge rock appeared to be an unstoppable juggernaut, two later alt rock bands - one a new band spawned from a grunge band and the other making it's return after a long hiatus, and one band often credited with the resurgence of punk in the US - beat some top talent to make the quartet of finalists.

1990's / 2000's Region Final Four Match #1
#17 Foo Fighters vs #4 Green Day

The Foo Fighters have the proud distinction of knocking off #1 seeded Nirvana in an epic struggle, before narrowly defeating grunge mainstay Stone Temple Pilots. Dave Grohl was going to make this final four one way or another - the surprise was which band he did it with.

iyh.jpg

Across the way is Green Day, a punk rock act from the mid-90's whose political stylings have often granted them credit for reinventing American Punk Rock. Billy Joe and his team knocked off an equally relevant Offspring last round, despite board controversy as to why they have made it this far.

0000022164_350.jpg

1990's / 2000's Region Final Four Match #2
#7 Red Hot Chili Peppers vs #3 Alice in Chains

In a late day surprise, RHCP came back to narrowly defeat Pearl Jam, 11-10, to advance to the final four. RHCP was a 90's region band despite breaking out in the 80's due to a long hiatus and resurgance in the 90's and 00's.

redhotchilipeppersindex.jpg

Finally, the band considered grunge's underrated talent, Lane Staley, Jerry Cantrell, and Alice in Chains. Marked as a darker and ever more morose grunge act than Nirvana or Pearl Jam, AIC's deep harmonies and meloncholy lyrics have allowed them to advance to the final four with the easiest road of all - tested very little by bands such as Sublime, Weezer, and Blink 182.

media-1192678313-633.jpg

Happy Posting!!!

I can see this as AIC vs Foos. I think for Foo Fighters to knock off some of the biggest names in grunge music to make it this far bodes well for them. Musically, they are better than Greenday and far more consistent. Greenday gained a lot of support for American Idiot by running down America's participation in war...wasn't that unique of them at a time where everyone in America was doing the exact same thing.

AIC...i'm unsure as to whether they can sneak by a band with a big following, but given wrestling fans love of grunge music...I think they might just get by with a very slim margin

Greenday deserve to get booted out of the tournament by anyone. No way should they have gone past The Offspriing

Greenday deserve to get booted out of the tournament by anyone. No way should they have gone past The Offspriing

What the hell are you talking about, Green Day more than deserves to be where they are, cause THEY ARE THE BETTER BAND, and don't give me that flavor of the month crap either, caused I've already pointed out to numerous times that Green Day as been going strong for the past 14 years, Offspring has all but dropped off the map for the most part, sure they come out with a hit here and there, but other than Smash & Americana (which was a joke) they've never really done anything all that impressive to keep them in the spot light, I mean for Christ sake you are trying to tell people that Green Day doesn't belong because they are more successful, and not afraid to change and try new things, dude get over it, Green day won, Offspring lost, now it's time to move on and stop pouting like a little baby about it

Im just shocked that a band who seemingly jumped on the anti-war bandwagon and ended up selling loads of records just offends me.

Look at it this way.

Its like supporting Manchester United. They win all the time, so you end up supporting them, because they are "winners".

Its not a good comparison, though my point is Greenday are bound to get more votes than anyone, same with Foo Fighters BECAUSE they are active NOW. I bet half the people I see at gigs have never even heard of Greendays early stuff, or the Foo Fighters. They just latch on ebcause its the "scene" thing to do.

Much like the Artic Monkeys and half of the so called indie bands out there

Well Alice in Chains are active right now (albiet with a new singer), and so are the Red Hot Chili Peppers. All the bands in the Final Four are. I think it will be interesting to see who takes it. My vote would go to Alice in Chains, because personally I like them the best. Foo Fighters are a close second for me, which is why I'd like to see them go into the final against each other.

Well Alice in Chains are active right now (albiet with a new singer), and so are the Red Hot Chili Peppers. All the bands in the Final Four are. I think it will be interesting to see who takes it. My vote would go to Alice in Chains, because personally I like them the best. Foo Fighters are a close second for me, which is why I'd like to see them go into the final against each other.

I saw AIC with the new singer, and really don't think they could have found anybody better to replace Layne, they guy they got sounds a lot like Layne and does justice to all the old classic AIC songs, last I heard they were recording some new stuff, which should be interesting to hear when it's released

I feel that out of the Final Four, AIC is probably the best band and could very well be the most underrated, to be honest I'm plesantly surprised they manged to make it to the final four and would love nothing more than for them to take the crown, Foo Fighters would be my second choice, but really all four of these bands are good and deserve to move on

I just had a thought, in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY event of this happening, what would happen if both the Foo Fighters/Green Day match & the AIC/RHCP match both ended in ties, would all four bands then advance onto the finals in a fatal four way or what?, I realize it more than likely won't happen but I'm just curious as to what would be done if it were

Well, it's a tough draw for me, because I'm a fan of all four bands, but after consideration, I voted for Foo Fighters vs. Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Now, the reasons for me voting for the Foos are fairly obvious. They've been churning out great song after great song for years, they're still as awesome today as they were when they first started (The Pretender was one of the songs of the year in '07 for me, and Echoes... has some awesome songs on it. Look up Once and For All and Stranger Things Have Happened in particular), and while Green Day have alos been going strong for quite some time, and they've had some amazing songs - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) is still one of my top 15 favourite songs - they're outclassed by The Davy Grohlman Band. If you didn't get that, look up the video for Long Road To Ruin.

The other choice may be the more controversial one in many eyes. The Chilis going over AIC? Really Pepsi? Yes, really. Again, both bands are brilliant performers, with AIC churning out some fantastic songs over the years, both singles and album tracks - Shame In You in particular I am a fan of, from the self-titled album - but the fact of the matter is, The Chilis have the better stuff for me. They've done so much over the years, had so many songs that are true classics, stuff like Under The Bridge, By The Way, Can't Stop, Californication, and they're also able to sing different styles easily, from the faster Dani California - which has an amazing guitar section as it's last 90 seconds or so - to the slower, chilled out Zephyr Song, to the slightly strange style of Hump de Bump. They've gone down in time as one of the greatest bands around, and I think they could be a sleeper to win this whole thing. That said, I'm pulling for Queen personally.

If, by some odd occurance, both matches ended in ties, all four bands would go to the regional final, the winner of a fatal four way would be regional champ. The regional finals must have clear cut winners, even if overtime is required.

I'm old school, 70's music, late 70 and 80's wrestling. I mean look at the finals of the 50-70 and you have true talent. I don't like none of the ones in the 90's regional finals. I know a few songs by a couple of them but overall just a waste of time. Before anyone attacks and says well this must be some old 60 year old, I am 36, I try and listen to all types of music and none of these artists add up to a bean of talent. I am undeicded as to rather to vote because I don't want to affect a touranement that I do not enjoy any of the partipacants. Please give me your advise as to rather you think I should vote based on my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back