50's and 60's Bracket Discussion

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1950's and 1960's Region Bracket

There are 32 bands in the 50's and 60's region, which means no byes and no preliminary matches. This region will start late, staggering until the other regions reach a field of 32.

1st Round 50's and 60's Matches

The Beatles vs Roy Orbison
The Beach Boys vs Janis Joplin
Van Morrison vs Chuck Berry
Chubby Checker vs Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Doors vs The Mamas and the Papas
Elvis Presley vs The Rascals
Cream vs The Grateful Dead
Ray Charles vs The Who
Led Zeppelin vs Joe Cocker
The Yardbirds vs James Brown
Simon & Garfunkel vs Buddy Holly
The Kinks vs The Monkees
Jimi Hendrix vs Marvin Gaye
Bob Dylan vs The Moody Blues
Sly & The Family Stone vs The Animals
Jefferson Airplane vs The Rolling Stones

In this thread, you all may discuss the general state of the 1950's and 1960's region.

I'm having Elvis as the early favorite here. The 17 or so #1 singles say it best. 2nd would have to be the Beatles, as they've been as or even more (I'm not sure) succesful then Elvis. My Dark Horse has to be Led Zepplin, another big name band. I'm not very familiar with these bands and hope to catch some great music from every one.

God damn, why do two decades worth of the best music ever created get relegated to 32 bands while the dismal at best 90s & 00's get 64? Doesn't make sense to me.

These match ups are already tearing at me. I have NO idea who I'm going to go with in the Jefferson Airplane vs. Rolling Stones match up. Stones are immortal in their rockin' awesomeness, but the Airplane are one of the most underrated rock bands of all times. I may just end up going with the Airplane on that one. Stones are more important of a band, but I enjoy the Airplane more.

And the Beatles vs. Roy Orbison...ouch....I'm probably the only one here who even likes Orbison, but thats going to be tough for me personally. Orbison is amazing.

Question: Why the hell are the Rascals and Chubby Checker on here? Checker was a one-hit wonder, and the Rascals in no way deserve to be in here when there are so many more important bands---and where are the Temptations? I thought they were in there....

Anyways, I'm sure you're pissed now that I'm talking about who should and shouldn't be in IC25, but really, you should think hard about taking out Checker & the Rascals for the Temptations and The Byrds. Fuck, how is there no Byrds?

Okay, thats it, I'm PMing you IC.

Lol, XFear, thank you for the PM. The fact is, YES the best music is in the older decades, but since we were all raised in the 90's and 00's, we know more marginal bands about which we can discuss vs the 50's and 60's. The 90's/00's bracket is stacked in numbers, but only 7 or 8 of those bands really have a chance. In the 50's/60's and the 70's regions, it's anyone guess. Total crapshoot.

If you'd like to expand the 50's and 60's, I am cool with it. I just really want to get the tournament started and get the nominations closed. We will never get this thing "perfect" but improvement is always warranted.

We will start the 90's and 00's early, so while those matchup's occur, let's talk over PM about expanding the 50's and 60's. I think the MAJOR players we needed are in here, but we could have a few preliminary bouts.

And the Beatles vs. Roy Orbison...ouch....I'm probably the only one here who even likes Orbison, but thats going to be tough for me personally. Orbison is amazing.

Question: Why the hell are the Rascals and Chubby Checker on here? Checker was a one-hit wonder, and the Rascals in no way deserve to be in here when there are so many more important bands---and where are the Temptations? I thought they were in there....

Anyways, I'm sure you're pissed now that I'm talking about who should and shouldn't be in IC25, but really, you should think hard about taking out Checker & the Rascals for the Temptations and The Byrds. Fuck, how is there no Byrds?

Okay, thats it, I'm PMing you IC.

Roy Orbison is the only guy who can get away with standing still and singing. the temptations and the byrds had a far greater influence on music in that era than the rascals. checker i can see simply on the back of the twist, jingle bells rock and let's twist again. big songs of the era, but he didn't do much else.

New 1950's / 1960's Brackets Posted!

With XFear's help, we have added a few "overlooked" bands to the brackets. One important thing to know - only the top 16 bands were actually "seeded" in some order. Those 16 bands got 1st round byes, and the other 32 will have a preliminary round to determin who will face the big 16. Bands 17-48 are totally placed at random.

http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?edit=1&tid=270127&tclass=50%27s%20%2F%2060%27s%20Region

I'm pushing for a good run by Van Morrison. I feel he's the Vader of the tournament...people don't know much about him, he's always been there and been solid, despite not having the success of his contempories. If he overcomes the Beach Boys, it should go down as upset of the tournament so far.

Vote Van Morrison!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back