Nominate Bands for the WZ Rock Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, because I prefer Metallica to Death, I haven't heard of them?

Obviously, because then you probably wouldn't have made the statement that Metallica were "arguably the most influential metal band ever" without acknowledging the influences that Death made.

Um, not really.

really. Death influenced a new genre and created a new style of music, what did Metallica ever do besides being just another popular thrash metal Band?

nothing

I don't remember Death influencing Pop, Blues, Classical, Folk, Electronic, Rap and R&B artists.

And this has something to do with Metallica's influence as a Metal band how?

I said that Metallica was more popular than Death, but a more influencial metal band? I doubt it

Obviously, because then you probably wouldn't have made the statement that Metallica were "arguably the most influential metal band ever" without acknowledging the influences that Death made.

Metallica are a more infuential band than Death. Aside from Extreme Metal bands, provide me with sources and artists who have cited Death as an influence.

Metallica on the other hand, have influenced everybody from KoRn to Cannibal Corpse to Dream Theater to Trivium to Machine Head to Therion to Dark Angel.

And that's just Metal bands they've influenced. The list goes on into other genres.

really. Death influenced a new genre and created a new style of music, what did Metallica ever do besides being just another popular thrash metal Band?

Except Death didn't single handedly create Death Metal. They may have pioneered it along with Morbid Angel, but they solely didn't create it.

Metallica pretty much influenced and breathed life into Thrash Metal, arguably a more influential genre than Death Metal.

And this has something to do with Metallica's influence as a Metal band how?

Metallica haven't just influenced Metal bands, unlike Death. Their influence goes beyong Metal.

I said that Metallica was more popular than Death, but a more influencial metal band? I doubt it

Again, aside from Extreme Metal artists, show me sources of people citing Death as an influence. I'm pretty sure I could find more influenced by Metallica, from pretty much every single sub-genre of Metal.

Matt Moses, though a bit off in the fact that Dream Theatre was influenced by Metallica significantly (Metallica dropped their prog rock roots long ago, Dream Theatre is directly influenced by Rush and Iron Maiden), brings up a great point with Progressive Rock. Rush should be in this thing, as should Queensryche and Faith No More.

I am also a huge hair metal guy, so I will be nominating Poison, Skid Row, Cinderella, and a few others in this thing.

Wes, thank you for posting the bands for me, that was actually a HUGE help!

Metallica are a more infuential band than Death.

outside of metal maybe, but as a metal band in the metal genre, they didn't do more than death.

Metallica on the other hand, have influenced everybody from KoRn to Cannibal Corpse to Dream Theater to Trivium to Machine Head to Therion to Dark Angel.

And that's just Metal bands they've influenced. The list goes on into other genres.

Fair enough

Except Death didn't single handedly create Death Metal. They may have pioneered it along with Morbid Angel, but they solely didn't create it.

yes they did, they were the first band to use the vocal styling characterized by Death Metal as well as the extreme music style. Their first Album was basically used as a template by bands such as Morbid Angel, Carcass, Obituary, and Cannibal Corpse .l

Metallica pretty much influenced and breathed life into Thrash Metal, arguably a more influential genre than Death Metal.

There were already bands in thrash that were already doing there thing before Metallica arrived. Metallica didn't breathe any more life into thrash than bands like Slayer or Megadeth.

As far as Thrash being more influential than Death Metal, yeah I guess thats why Thrash no longer exists while Death metal is the largest and deepest genre in metal today.

Again, aside from Extreme Metal artists, show me sources of people citing Death as an influence. I'm pretty sure I could find more influenced by Metallica, from pretty much every single sub-genre of Metal.

I'll have to dig them up

There were already bands in thrash that were already doing there thing before Metallica arrived. Metallica didn't breathe any more life into thrash than bands like Slayer or Megadeth.

Such as who? Metallica released their first demo in July 1982, it wasn't until over a year later Slayer would release any material. And this is even before Megadeth had formed.

As far as Thrash being more influential than Death Metal, yeah I guess thats why Thrash no longer exists while Death metal is the largest and deepest genre in metal today.

Thrash does exist today, just not a large scale as it used to.

Let me clear one thing up about this. Death are one of my favourite bands. They were fantastic, and I love all their material. But when you're talking about their influence, it doesn't stray outside of Extreme Metal. It really doesn't. On the other hand, Metallica have influenced lots of Extreme Metal bands, yet influenced lots of non-extreme Metal bands.

If we're talking solely about influence on Extreme Metal, then yes, Death would be the more influential. If we're talking about Metal as a whole, Metallica would be more influential.

outside of metal maybe, but as a metal band in the metal genre, they didn't do more than death.

Ok, fine. Death did come first and basically created the death metal genre. But MattMoses said most influential band to come out of the genre. If Metallica influenced more genres, they influenced more bands.

Anywho, I don't think you can compare them: one created the genre while the other was the most successful. Can you compare the influence of the creators of pop with the Beatles?

Metallica released their first demo in July 1982, it wasn't until over a year later Slayer would release any material. And this is even before Megadeth had formed.

I thought bands like Venom were the front runners of Thrash metal

Let me clear one thing up about this. Death are one of my favourite bands. They were fantastic, and I love all their material. But when you're talking about their influence, it doesn't stray outside of Extreme Metal. It really doesn't. On the other hand, Metallica have influenced lots of Extreme Metal bands, yet influenced lots of non-extreme Metal bands.

If we're talking solely about influence on Extreme Metal, then yes, Death would be the more influential. If we're talking about Metal as a whole, Metallica would be more influential.

I agree

Ok, fine. Death did come first and basically created the death metal genre. But MattMoses said most influential band to come out of the genre. If Metallica influenced more genres, they influenced more bands.

Anywho, I don't think you can compare them: one created the genre while the other was the most successful. Can you compare the influence of the creators of pop with the Beatles?

Metallica came first by 1 year

I thought bands like Venom were the front runners of Thrash metal
Well they're usually regarded as a Heavy Metal band, with some elements of Black Metal and Speed Metal thrown in there. They were a vital influence on all of the big Thrash bands, but I wouldn't say they were a part of the genre.

With that said, Venom are a truly terrible band.

The only band I can think of who formed before Metallica was Metal Church, and they released a demo in 1981. Though really, it's different from what we know as their Thrash material, so I wouldn't really count it.

Metallica came first by 1 year

Regardless, "Death's now legendary Scream Bloody Gore LP. Released in 1987, the album is considered death metal's first archetypal document". Also, the frontman is now "recognized as the father of death metal".

Source

Just for my 2 cents: I'm really a fan of neither, more Metallica than Death.

Regardless, "Death's now legendary Scream Bloody Gore LP. Released in 1987, the album is considered death metal's first archetypal document". Also, the frontman is now "recognized as the father of death metal".

Source

Just for my 2 cents: I'm really a fan of neither, more Metallica than Death.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here.

Metallica formed in 1981. Death formed in 1983. By the time Death released their first full-length album, Metallica had released three, very highly acclaimed, influential albums, in the process becoming one of the biggest Metal bands of all time. Also, Metallica were an influence to Death, as were many other Thrash bands such as Slayer and Possessed.

Death are the creators and pioneers of Death Metal. Metallica are the creators and pioneers of Thrash Metal. We have already agreed that Death are solely more influential to Extreme Metal bands, but Metallica are a much bigger influence to the Metal genre as a whole.

Ech...Aph...whichever you are now...come on man. Come on.

First off, I can pretty much guarantee that every single band you listed won't be included in this tournament, because no one has ever heard of any of them, and they're all black/death metal I'm sure.

Second off, I'd strongly disagree that this band Death has had more influence then Metallica has in any region of music. Did Death ever sell millions of albums? Did they ever tour the world in front of thousands upon thousands of people in a stacked arena? Would your average music fan, or even your average metal fan know who Death was? The answer to all of those questions, is no. Whereas just about everyone on the face of the planet knows who Metallica are.

Let's see...Metallica...best selling metal band of all time...Death...underground band that no one has ever heard of and who's only influence was on one of the most extremely underground genres there is, Death Metal...who to pick.

Please. No brainer.

Also: I'm working right now on 32 bands for each region, should post it either tonight or tomorrow.

Ech...Aph...whichever you are now...come on man. Come on.

First off, I can pretty much guarantee that every single band you listed won't be included in this tournament, because no one has ever heard of any of them, and they're all black/death metal I'm sure.

Second off, I'd strongly disagree that this band Death has had more influence then Metallica has in any region of music. Did Death ever sell millions of albums? Did they ever tour the world in front of thousands upon thousands of people in a stacked arena? Would your average music fan, or even your average metal fan know who Death was? The answer to all of those questions, is no. Whereas just about everyone on the face of the planet knows who Metallica are.

Let's see...Metallica...best selling metal band of all time...Death...underground band that no one has ever heard of and who's only influence was on one of the most extremely underground genres there is, Death Metal...who to pick.

Please. No brainer.

Also: I'm working right now on 32 bands for each region, should post it either tonight or tomorrow.

I have a solution for this debate, how about when the tournament starts we include Death, and put them in a first round match up with Metallica?

And as for the rest of Ech's list, I'm a metal guy and I have only heard of two other bands on that list besides Death, and lets be honest if any of them were included the likelihood of any of them getting out of the first round would be extremely slim, because nobody knows who the hell they are

I have a solution for this debate, how about when the tournament starts we include Death, and put them in a first round match up with Metallica?

Come on now Justin, thats just mean dude. We both know Metallica would win by a margin of something like 150-1. No, not even 1. Maybe 0.5. But definately not a whole number.

Come on now Justin, thats just mean dude. We both know Metallica would win by a margin of something like 150-1. No, not even 1. Maybe 0.5. But definately not a whole number.

Can you think of a matchup where Death would really win, I mean no disrespect, but nobody really knows who they are or what they've done, so why would they vote for them over somebody they've heard of

Death will not be in this tournament. That is a promise. We are going with mainstream rock bands that can be debated by everybody. If you want to educate people on bands like death, then start a thread or request that Justin make it his Music Asylum Band of the Week (which I recently stickied) and go from there. Underground personal favorites will not get the nod for the same reason my favorite Irish Rock Band, Black 47, won't make an appearance.

Public Service Announcement:

XFear and Agrex have been added to the WZ Music Tournament Committee.

Both lists are AWESOME, and I know we can get some great discussion going. As Jake is on the campaign trail for the Cranberries, I will be the campaign manager for Queen.

Sweeeeet.

I am really digging this idea, and would be willing to take a hand in this tournament if help is needed. I was mulling around the idea myself, just seemed too time consuming.

So, since I'm bored, here's just a rough draft of sorts of what I personally would think would be fit for each region, with 32 picks each.

I'm not sure on whether or not you've decided to split up the 60s and 70s IC, but this'll be a pretty bland tournament if we don't. So here's just how I'm splitting it up, including the 90s/00's together as an earlier poster suggested.

Also we could probably add a 50's region, but we shouldn't simply because 90% of our posters probably wouldn't be familiar with it, nor would they care.

So I'm going to bunch in a couple of 50s acts into the 60s that deserve to be mentioned (I believe most went on into the 60s anyways).

Also, I'm including the general pop/rock landscape of each era, so it may include some music you might not generally call "rock" (such as James Brown and Bob Marley). Doesn't mean it rocks any less.

Oh and finally, I'll be including Led Zeppelin and a few others in the 70s brackets because they're most well known for their 70s music, even though they started in the 60s (I believe Led Zeppelin I came out in '69?)

Region 1: The 60s
Bob Dylan
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Doors
The Beach Boys
Steppenwolf
Buddy Holly
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Simon & Garfunkel
The Byrds
The Kinks
Jefferson Airplane (Not Starship damnit! Pretend that never happened!)
Cream
The Mamas & the Papas
Sly & the Family Stone
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Velvet Underground
The Band
Chuck Berry
The Grateful Dead
Van Morrison
Donovan
Love
Marvin Gaye
James Brown
The Lovin' Spoonful
Buffalo Springfield
Janis Joplin
The Animals

Honorable Mentions/Possible Candidates

The Zombies
Traffic
Sam Cooke
Otis Redding
Canned Heat
Country Joe & the Fish
Aretha Franklin

Region 2: The 70s
(This section was incredibly hard to limit to 32 artists. All of the honorable mentions were incredibly hard for me to cut, but I feel this is the strongest pool)
Judas Priest
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Pink Floyd
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Aerosmith
Black Sabbath
KISS
AC/DC
The Clash
The Police
The Ramones
Roxy Music
Elton John
The Eagles
Queen
David Bowie
Fleetwood Mac
John Lennon
Bob Marley
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Alice Cooper
The Allmans Brothers Band
Neil Young
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Steve Miller Band
Iggy Pop & the Stooges
Santana
Blondie
Sex Pistols
Joy Division
Eric Clapton

Dead Kennedys
ZZ Topp
The Jam
Stevie Wonder
Yes
Motorhead
Jethro Tull
Deep Purple

Region 3: The 80s
(Again, very hard to limit the field)
Metallica
The Cult
Van Halen
Talking Heads
Def Leppard
Billy Idol
Ozzy Osbourne
Bon Jovi
R.E.M.
U2
Motley Crue
Guns 'n Roses
Bruce Springsteen
Iron Maiden
The Cure
The Smiths
Depeche Mode
The Cars
Sonic Youth
The Pixies
Black Flag
Husker Du
Adam & the Ants
New Order
The Pretenders
The Stone Roses
Violent Femmes
Slayer
Megadeth
Minor Threat
Prince
Elvis Costello

Twisted Sister
Skid Row
INXS
Circle Jerks
The Replacements
The Jesus & Mary Chain
My Bloody Valentine
Bad Brains
Living Colour
Bauhaus

Region 4: The 90s
(The hardest one yet)
Nirvana
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Sublime
The Red Hod Chili Peppers
Oasis
The Smashing Pumpkins
Rage Against the Machines
Stone Temple Pilots
Nine Inch Nails
Pearl Jam
Beck
Radiohead
Weezer
Tool
Green Day
The Offspring
The Cranberries
Janes Addiction
Radiohead
Blur
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Fugazi
White Zombie
Mudhoney
Modest Mouse
Bad Religion
Blink 182
Counting Crows
At the Drive-In
Rancid
The Flaming Lips

Primus
The Black Crowes
Butthole Surfers
Silverchair
Manic Street Preachers
Wilco
Dinosaur Jr.
The Verve
Faith No More
Live
Bush
Blues Traveler
Marilyn Manson
Pavement
Prodigy
Primal Scream
Pantera
Creed
No Doubt
Collective Soul

Region 5: The 00s
Coldplay
The White Stripes
Foo Fighters
3 Doors Down
Nickelback
System of a Down
Queens of the Stone Age
Incubus
Linkin Park
Audioslave
Gorillaz
The Strokes
Muse
The Roots
Franz Ferdinand
The Killers
The Shins
The Deftones
Slipknot
Korn
The Libertines
Staind
The Hives
My Chemical Romance
AFI
The Black Keys
Jimmy Eat World
Taking Back Sunday
POD
Godsmack
Anti-Flag

Mudvayne
Jack Johnson
Papa Roach
Chevelle
Jet
A Perfect Circle

Granted, that was a rough draft.

Anyone see any glaring omissions? Any problems with that?

Just thought I'd say that you included Radiohead twice in the 90s region.

One omission that glares out at me is the Dead Kennedys, I really think these guys are awesome, they are up there as pioneers of Punk Rock and have some really cool songs, the only problem is that it would be tough to take out any of the other bands/artists included.

Also, in the 90s, I really like the soothing rock of Eric Johnson (I believe it won 1991 rock album of the year). It's a different style of rock but amazing none the less, I didn't see him included on any lists earlier.

And another in the 2000s, how about Velvet Revolver?? I mean any band that has Slash as the lead guitarist is great by me, their album totally rocks, haven't seen them anywhere either.

Just thought I'd add a few bands that I hadn't seen anybody else mention yet. But overall, XFear, a great list that could use a little tweaking but it's a great foundation to build this tournament around.

Sweeeeet.

I am really digging this idea, and would be willing to take a hand in this tournament if help is needed. I was mulling around the idea myself, just seemed too time consuming.

So, since I'm bored, here's just a rough draft of sorts of what I personally would think would be fit for each region, with 32 picks each.

I'm not sure on whether or not you've decided to split up the 60s and 70s IC, but this'll be a pretty bland tournament if we don't. So here's just how I'm splitting it up, including the 90s/00's together as an earlier poster suggested.

Also we could probably add a 50's region, but we shouldn't simply because 90% of our posters probably wouldn't be familiar with it, nor would they care.

So I'm going to bunch in a couple of 50s acts into the 60s that deserve to be mentioned (I believe most went on into the 60s anyways).

Also, I'm including the general pop/rock landscape of each era, so it may include some music you might not generally call "rock" (such as James Brown and Bob Marley). Doesn't mean it rocks any less.

Oh and finally, I'll be including Led Zeppelin and a few others in the 70s brackets because they're most well known for their 70s music, even though they started in the 60s (I believe Led Zeppelin I came out in '69?)

Region 1: The 60s
Bob Dylan
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Doors
The Beach Boys
Steppenwolf
Buddy Holly
Elvis Presley
Jimi Hendrix
Simon & Garfunkel
The Byrds
The Kinks
Jefferson Airplane (Not Starship damnit! Pretend that never happened!)
Cream
The Mamas & the Papas
Sly & the Family Stone
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Velvet Underground
The Band
Chuck Berry
The Grateful Dead
Van Morrison
Donovan
Love
Marvin Gaye
James Brown
The Lovin' Spoonful
Buffalo Springfield
Janis Joplin
The Animals

The Zombies
Traffic
Sam Cooke
Otis Redding
Canned Heat
Country Joe & the Fish
Aretha Franklin

Region 2: The 70s
(This section was incredibly hard to limit to 32 artists. All of the honorable mentions were incredibly hard for me to cut, but I feel this is the strongest pool)
Judas Priest
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Pink Floyd
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Aerosmith
Black Sabbath
KISS
AC/DC
The Clash
The Police
The Ramones
Roxy Music
Elton John
The Eagles
Queen
David Bowie
Fleetwood Mac
John Lennon
Bob Marley
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Alice Cooper
The Allmans Brothers Band
Neil Young
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Steve Miller Band
Iggy Pop & the Stooges
Santana
Blondie
Sex Pistols
Joy Division
Eric Clapton

Dead Kennedys
ZZ Topp
The Jam
Stevie Wonder
Yes
Motorhead
Jethro Tull
Deep Purple

Region 3: The 80s
(Again, very hard to limit the field)
Metallica
The Cult
Van Halen
Talking Heads
Def Leppard
Billy Idol
Ozzy Osbourne
Bon Jovi
R.E.M.
U2
Motley Crue
Guns 'n Roses
Bruce Springsteen
Iron Maiden
The Cure
The Smiths
Depeche Mode
The Cars
Sonic Youth
The Pixies
Black Flag
Husker Du
Adam & the Ants
New Order
The Pretenders
The Stone Roses
Violent Femmes
Slayer
Megadeth
Minor Threat
Prince
Elvis Costello

Twisted Sister
Skid Row
INXS
Circle Jerks
The Replacements
The Jesus & Mary Chain
My Bloody Valentine
Bad Brains
Living Colour
Bauhaus

Region 4: The 90s
(The hardest one yet)
Nirvana
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains
Sublime
The Red Hod Chili Peppers
Oasis
The Smashing Pumpkins
Rage Against the Machines
Stone Temple Pilots
Nine Inch Nails
Pearl Jam
Beck
Radiohead
Weezer
Tool
Green Day
The Offspring
The Cranberries
Janes Addiction
Radiohead
Blur
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Fugazi
White Zombie
Mudhoney
Modest Mouse
Bad Religion
Blink 182
Counting Crows
At the Drive-In
Rancid
The Flaming Lips

Primus
The Black Crowes
Butthole Surfers
Silverchair
Manic Street Preachers
Wilco
Dinosaur Jr.
The Verve
Faith No More
Live
Bush
Blues Traveler
Marilyn Manson
Pavement
Prodigy
Primal Scream
Pantera
Creed
No Doubt
Collective Soul

Region 5: The 00s
Coldplay
The White Stripes
Foo Fighters
3 Doors Down
Nickelback
System of a Down
Queens of the Stone Age
Incubus
Linkin Park
Audioslave
Gorillaz
The Strokes
Muse
The Roots
Franz Ferdinand
The Killers
The Shins
The Deftones
Slipknot
Korn
The Libertines
Staind
The Hives
My Chemical Romance
AFI
The Black Keys
Jimmy Eat World
Taking Back Sunday
POD
Godsmack
Anti-Flag

Mudvayne
Jack Johnson
Papa Roach
Chevelle
Jet
A Perfect Circle

Granted, that was a rough draft.

Anyone see any glaring omissions? Any problems with that?

Very good choices. Awesome choices...all of the bands I was gonna name just from personal preference are in there already....so, no need to just prattle on. Anyway, this is shaping up to be friggin' sweeeet. I will definitely participate in this tournament, as I kinda came in on the tail end of the main WZ Tournament.....

Great idea.

Anti Flag are great Live but what have they done to deserve to be in the main part of the bracket? I would however say that I personally would split AC/DC in two and have the Bon Scott and the Brian Johnson eras separate. Just like I would split Genesis into Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins eras. And Santana you can put in every single Decade there he was at woodstock for christs sake. And I would like to say you did forget Toto in the 80s. You forgot King Crimson in the 70's. You don't know who Shihad are, Im guessing, but they deserve to be in there if you mentioned Jet. And Collective Soul and Pantera need to be in the main list as opposed to the possible candidates. You are also missing the missing link in the Big four of Thrash in Anthrax, Anthrax links Slayer, Megadeth and Metallica together in terms of style and sound.

Man, it is nearly impossible to limit the field to 32 - it's amazing how many great bands there have been. ESPECIALLY if we go Shadowmancer's route and split some bands up by lead singer. I mean, AC/DC split into Scott / Johnson and Genesis split into Gabriel / Collins makes the same sense that Van Halen split into Roth / Hagar makes.

XFear, I am thrilled you have CCR prominently displayed in the 60's bracket - one of the greatest and most socially important bands of the era of social music. As mentioned, I will be nominating The Beach Boys for the 60's, as Pet Sounds was one of the greatest albums ever made, and they really did popularize California Music. Plus, debating them with the Mike Love / Brian Wilson controversy makes me salivate.

Has anyone mentioned the Barenaked Ladies for the 90's yet? Oh and XFear - not a Poison fan, are we?

When I assemble a scratch list in the next couple days, if we have an overwhelming number of strong bands, we can expand the field to 48, with 16 bands getting 1st round byes and the other 32 doing a preliminary round match. Especially in the stacked regions like the 70's and 90's.

I wouldn't split Van Halen. As both of the Eras of Van Halen occured during the 80's. I only mentioned AC/DC and Genesis as both different beasts completely due to both the change in Decade and the Change in Singer. I mean look at it this way. Genesis you either have the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or even earlier stuff Like Selling England by the Pound. and then you have the Poptastic Stuff like Invisible Touch, or their Self Titled album.

Poison are awesome Im going to find out from my mates that went to Rock 2 Wellington what each set was like. They had Kiss, Ozzy Osbourne, Alice Cooper, White Snake, Lordi and Poison all over two days. I don't care how you try and Spin it but that is quite possibly the best line up ever to hit New Zealand's shores.

Great list XFear. Really good job. Overall all the bands are very good. No offence, but I don't think we should be including the likes of Bob Marley. As amazing as he was I don't think he qualifies for the Rock Tournament. Again, very good list. I'll try to put my list up today, or tomorrow.

X you also forgot America on your list. I mean they came up with classics like Horse With No Name, Ventura Highway, Sandman, Don't Cross The River, Tin Man. They have so many classics that I am surprised you didn't put them in. Same with the Moody Blues, I mean look at their Body of work and one lyric line describes them almost perfectly "Im Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band" not promoting themselves as being as good as they are or the fact that Justin Hayward hasn't had a single strand of hair ever move. Combine in one of my favourite songs ever in Forever Autumn and why are they not on the List. Same with T-Rex, and Thin Lizzy.

I wouldn't split Van Halen. As both of the Eras of Van Halen occured during the 80's.

Oh no, no, no. VH actually formed in 1971 as "The Trojan Rubber Company" and in 1972 became "Mammoth." The original Van Halen Album, which came out in 1978, was certified as "Diamond" or "10x Platnium" in 1996. Van Halen 2 came out in 1979 and also went diamond.

Xfear great list!
I would move Collective Soul to the canidates. Also a few more bands for consideration. No idea how the list will be trimmed. Really looking foward to this.....Alsoo IC25, I am up for Barenaked Ladies in the tourny! Love to include The Tragically Hip (probably not a good idea since not many people are familar with them).
Derek and the Dominos
Journey
Lenny Kravitz
Huey Lewis
Peter Frampton
Phish
And as much as I am not a fan of them the Dave Matthews Band has to be considered for the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back