The Next Rock Tournament

Option 3 would be fun and allows the focus on different members of the band and their strengths, which would be cool.

Personally I like option 1, but I could see things getting confusing on determining the genre some bands belong to.

Are only bands able to be included or can an individual musician be a part of this?

I personally like option 1, but i do see there possibly being a problem, especially with alternative/grunge, as alternative covers such a wide array of music.

But still, i'd say options 1 or 2 would be good. doesn't matter as much to me, doubt many of the bands i like would get that far anyway.

Are only bands able to be included or can an individual musician be a part of this?

There was some issue with this 2 years ago. We allowed legendary rock musicians to be included, like Elvis, Clapton, and Dylan. Michael Jackson also made it in and did not go too far. People clearly sided with the bands. Elvis made a tremendous showing, and lost in an overtime Triple Threat invovling the Rolling Stone and Led Zeppelin. Imagine - Elvis / Stones / Zeppelin. Oh, and the Stones very rightfully won.

There was some issue with this 2 years ago. We allowed legendary rock musicians to be included, like Elvis, Clapton, and Dylan. Michael Jackson also made it in and did not go too far. People clearly sided with the bands. Elvis made a tremendous showing, and lost in an overtime Triple Threat invovling the Rolling Stone and Led Zeppelin. Imagine - Elvis / Stones / Zeppelin. Oh, and the Stones very rightfully won.

So is that a Yes or a No for this year?

As much as I love Queen, they aren't my favorite. With that said, there is no question in my mind that they're the greatest rock band in history from any standpoint. Creatively speaking, they were masters at creating grand epics. Talent wise, there is no band from the era outside of maybe Rush that could match them musically from guitars to bass and especially vocally. They have mainstream popularity and success covered as well. No doubts about it. The only band that comes close to matching all of those things is Zeppelin.

I would be backing The Misfits and The Cure.

I endorse option one. It seems more objective.

Oh, and I plan to back Mayhem in the 80's region. Either them, or Venom....

The Doors. Plain and simple.

Oh and if possible could I do a hip hop tourny at some point?

Not Option 3. It sounds boring as shit and it would be too hard to discuss most threads. People arguing whether Queen or Nirvana are better is way more interesting than arguing Krist Novoselic against John Deacon.

Out of the three choices I would probably plump for the first one- hopefully there will be a wide range of different genre's named- I have a lot of bands that wouldn't really fit into "classic rock" :p

The third option would be interesting but it creates a few problems. If asked who was the better guitarist between Jimmy Page, Carlos Santana, Steve Vai, or Jimi Hendrix- do we go with the most technically gifted guitarist? Can we look at his entire body of work fairly- can Jimmy Pages riffs really be divorced from the overall sound of Led Zeppelin? Do we go with the most critcally acclaimed- or who has sold the most records- or who has inspired the most? It will certainly make more some interesting debates though hopefully not quite as acrimonious as the general wrestlezone tournament :)

One further question though- how will the choices of the bands/musicians for this tournament be made?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back