NFL Thread - 2010-11

Considering it's basically the only thing on ESPN at the moment, I think this deserves it's own thread. A few months ago, Ben Roethlisberger was accused of raping a woman at a nightclub in Georgia. Ben was eventually cleared of all charges, but the reports that have come out certainly portray him in a negative light. Added onto his other rape allegation (still pending in a civil suit, I believe) and other antics including a motorcylce crash, Commisioner Roger Goodell handed down a 6 game suspension, which could be reduced to 4.

The obvious question now is what do the Steelers do with him? Here in Pittsburgh today there has been overwhelming panic, but I'm not sure why. The suspension is basically in the range most people expected, perhaps a little higher. The word is he may be traded as early as today. Personally, I don't see how you can trade one of the top 5 or 6 QBs in the league for something he wasn't convicted of, but with the Rooney's being so concerned with a high character organization, it's completely possible.

Thoughts?

I think he's going to get traded before the Draft tomorrow. The Steelers want a top-10 pick for him and I believe somebody will pay that price to get him. Apparently the same teams who were interested in McNabb are interested in Roethlisberger barring a few of them and I think the Raiders will probably land him. I understand that he was never charged, but clearly this guy needs to get his personal behaviour checked out. The Radiers are never one to shy away from problem-players(not saying Ben is one) so they'll probably pay the higher price to get him. Personally, I hope they don't get him, but that's because I'm a Russell fan.

According to my sports alert thingy, Lito Sheppard signed a one year deal with the Vikings for $2 million. Not a bad move, probably not a great move, but it adds some depth to our CB corps that is suddenly hurting. Lito is basically an insurance policy if Cedric Griffin isn't able to start at the beginning of the season. He's coming off knee surgery and Winfield had issues with injuries last year. Lito had a down year with the Jets and ended up being benched. But to be fair, he was paired up with Revis, and nobody threw towards Revis so Lito got picked on quite a bit. He could provide to be a solid pickup for us, and if not it's only a one year deal so we're not risking much by adding to our CB core. I seriously don't want to see Bennie Sapp starting for us again.

Very, very exciting first round of the draft last night.

First and foremost, I was very happy with the New Orleans Saints pick of Patrick Robinson (CB) out of Florida State. You can never have enough good corners as far as I'm concerned, and the Saints now potentially have 4 of them, to bring this guy along to a core that already consist of Super Bowl/NFC Championship hero Tracy Porter, Jabari Greer, and Randall Gay. So, I'm very excited with this pick and to see how Robinson works out. We picked Porter in the 2nd Round a couple of years ago, and he's of course turned out to be fantastic. With history like that, I have faith in the Saints ability to find cornerbacks to help their defensive scheme.

But yeah... great pick by the Saints, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing them shape up that defense throughout the rest of the draft.

Anyways, very shocking that Jimmy Clausen didn't get selected in the 1st Round, and it was easily the story of the day. In my opinion, Clausen was without a doubt in my mind the best QB in the draft. I watched nearly every Notre Dame game this year and the guy was simply phenomenal. I firmly believe he's going to be a GREAT quarterback in this league, and I think a lot of teams who past him up will be regretting it in the next couple of years (looking at Seattle and San Francisco, specifically).

Tim Tebow got selected by Denver in an absolute shocker, but I was very happy for the guy. He deserved to go in the first round as far as I'm concerned, and I think he will be a productive QB in this league sometime down the line. I have zero faith in Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn, so I truly believe Tebow sooner than later will get his opportunity, and I think he'll flourish with it.

Only other thing I'll say is that I think the best overall player in the draft today was Eric Berry, and Kansas City made the very smart move of picking him up. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Chiefs next year, as they are absolutely building a tremendous team/coaching staff for that organization. As long as they can get an offensive line, I fully expect them to be a contender in the AFC in the years to come.

I'm just really upset over how Belichick has drafted now over the last couple of years. Last year, we traded out of the first round. The first time, we could have gotten a guy named Michael Oher, who looks like a franchise offensive tackle at this point. Give me Oher over any of the scrubs we trotted out at offensive line last year, especially Matt Light, who fell apart in the Giants Super Bowl game and hasn't been good since. Then we traded out again, and lost out on Clay Matthews. Belichick opted for stocking up on second round picks, one of which at the very least already looks like a bust.

Last night, we could have grabbed a potential superstar in Dez Bryant. We could have grabbed the pass rusher we needed in Sergio Kindle. We could have had Dan Williams, Jared Odrick, Jahvid Best, Jerry Hughes, or if Belichick HAD to go get a cornerback, we could have had Kyle Wilson. Instead we grab Devin McCourtry, who I'm still very turned off on. I thought for the most part, we were okay at cornerback. Bodden and Butler starting are fine. Butler at this stage is better than McCourtry, and he's going to eat into Butler's playing time. This isn't Darrelle Revis. At best, this guy's upside is someone like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. We needed a pass rusher. We needed another WR considering that Moss is gone after this season and Holt is here for one season, and Welker's still going to be out until midseason. Even Tebow would have been a good pick for us. Belichick was in love with him, and we could have used him in an H-Back role and groomed him to take over for Brady in the meantime, who I honestly think will retire by the age of 35. He's accomplished everything there is to accomplish.

If the above players I mentioned were gone by the time we picked, and McCourtry truly was the best player available... fine, I wouldn't have too much of an issue with the pick. But when you have more pressing needs that need to be filled when secondary is most definitely all set, and the first thing you hear about him is "special teams player"... you're going to be very upset, and that's what I am right now about this pick. I don't know if it was a kneejerk reaction to having both Santonio Holmes and Brandon Marshall (who hey, we could have had for relatively cheap) in the division now, or if Belichick thinks he'll be cheaper to sign, but right now, I'm really doubtful about our chances to compete with the rest of the AFC East.

The Redskins did exactly what everyone thought they would and that's draft for the OL with their pick of Trent Williams. We really needed help on the line, trying to help out McNabb and protect him, and help set up the run. But we hardly have any picks so another draft that really doesn't affect my team.

The Seahawks had a great first round. Russel Okung is a monster. His measurables and workouts are so much better than the next best tackle that this was a no-brainer pick for us at 6. I didn't think there was a chance in hell than he would fall past Washington at 4. Now, the Hawks may have a respectable O-line, with great pieces in Okung and Unger. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they pick up another guard in the 4-5 rounds.

I was also very happy about Earl Thomas at 14. He's a ball-hawking safety from Texas who should start immediately. He's going to be a playmaker that we didn't have last year. Thomas is never out of position, hits like a truck, and has good instincts. He's not much of a pass-rusher and won't do much for the run-game, but I can see 7-10 INT for him this year.

At 60, the Seahawks have to take a defensive lineman. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Derrick Morgan at 14. I've seen some mocks that have Griffen from USC dropping to the latter part of the second, and I would be thrilled if Seattle took him.

As for the rest of the draft, I'd like to see more good, value picks. O-line, D-line, corners, etc. The one thing I'm really, really hoping for is LeGarrette Blount. We all have seen the punch 653635 times, but LGB has straight-up talent. He can play. The Seahawks could definitely benefit from his smash-mouth play. The thunder to Forsett's ligthening.

Some pretty big trades in NFL today went down:

Seattle traded for Lendale White AND Leon Washington. With these trades, the Seahawks becoms 100x better at the RB position. Both of these guys are good RBs and I think they compliment each other well. Good trades for the 'Hawks.

Washington traded Jason Campbell to the Raiders, who have probably acquired their starting QB. Campbell isn't that bad of a QB and I think he'll do just fine in Oakland. Oakland is starting to get really good and with this trade and the draft picks this year they could finally be on the rise. I'm a fan of Jamarcus Russell so I'm kind of upset he won't play, but honestly he did this to himself.

Steelers trading their 5th round pick for a 6th and Bryant McFadden is HUGE. Out secondary was deplorable last year and we didn't take a corner until late in the draft. We were in danger of having to start William Gay again, which was just disasterous last year. B-McFad was huge for us in winning a couple of Super Bowls and it's great to get him back, especially at such a cheap price.

A few intresting things around the NFL today. Ill start with the Saints re-signing Darren Sharper to another 1 year deal. The deal is a base salary of 1.5 million 1 million in roster bonuses and a 75k signing bonous. It was said he turned down more money from the Jacksonville to stay with N.O. which would be a no brainer given his age and coming off a super bowl win with them. I also think he would've got a longer contract if he didnt have the off season knee surgery and probably a little more money in his current one.

Next, Patrick Willis signs a five year extension with the 49ers for 50 million with 29 of it guaranteed. Great move for the 9ers locking him up!! Without much arguemnent you can't say he isnt the best inside LB in the game right now. He has the most tackles in the league since he came in with 467. Jon Beason and London Fletcher are the only to players that come close his tackles with Beason at 419 and Fletcher with 403.

On espn and espn news we heard that Brett Favre told an unnamed player that he is 100% positive that he will never put on pads again in his life. Oh boy the Brett Favre ticker will be in full affect within the next coulpe days on espn. We all know by now this means absolutely nothing right now and it wont untill training camp ends to know if he is serious or not.

I might be the other person in the world who has never been bothered by the whole Favre saga. Yes I'm a Vikings fan, but even when he was a Packer it didn't bother me one bit. If Favre wants to waffle retirement that is his right to do so. If he wants to change his mind that is fine by me as well. The media blows the whole thing out of the water and makes everything little thing seem huge. Favre isn't at fault (at times he maybe, but usually he isn't). I for one believe that he will be back at QB for the Vikings in the 2010-11 season. His story was almost perfect last year, but it ended in tragedy. And we all know Favre plays best when he has something to prove. If not I the Vikings have faith in either Jackson or Sage, since they didn't go out and draft a QB.

Great move by NO to keep Sharper. Many thought the guy was done and he had a great bounce back year for the Big Easy. He is perfect for the Gregg Williams (I believe he is the Saints DC...jmt or someone correct me if I'm wrong) defense. He can sit back in centerfield and just pick off passes. Saints also hooked up Jahri Evans and that is well deserved. The guy is one of the top 5 guards in the league and deserves the money. I'm hoping for a rematch against NO in the NFCC and of course week one.

Also Adam "Pacman" Jones signed with the Bengals. I for one think Jones is an idiot, but if there is one place that can get something out of him it is Cincinnati. They seem to love revive careers over there.

I think the Pacman Jones deal is ******ed. He has talent, but when has he really shown it? He's obviously an idiot, so I don't think its worth the hit they'll take for it. He has value as a punt returner, but he's barely done so in 4 years. Even in 2008, we seen a steep decline in his overall production and value -even returning punts, so where's it going to be after sitting out another season?

He's a waste of talent, and I don't think they'll be able to squeeze anything special out of him.

I think the Pacman Jones deal is ******ed. He has talent, but when has he really shown it? He's obviously an idiot, so I don't think its worth the hit they'll take for it. He has value as a punt returner, but he's barely done so in 4 years. Even in 2008, we seen a steep decline in his overall production and value -even returning punts, so where's it going to be after sitting out another season?

He's a waste of talent, and I don't think they'll be able to squeeze anything special out of him.

I have no problems with the deal. The only year Jones showed his talent was in 06 when he was a top 5 CB that year. However the Bengals don't have a need for a starter, as they have a top 3 CB duo in Hall and Joseph. Jones is a camp body who might make the team as the nickel or dime back or maybe the punt returned. However I do think he stands a better chance to make the team over Matt Jones.

You said it twice in your post. Adam Jones has TALENT. He has wasted his opportunities with both Tennessee and Dallas, but he was drafted 6th overall for a reason. He has TALENT. Cincinnati has been able to take these "bad character guys" in the past and work it out. Maybe they do it again. Chris Henry had a lot of problems, but was able to rebound from them to become a good player before his untimely death. Maybe it will just take a guy like OchoCinco to whip Adam Jones into shape.

I like the Saints resigning Sharper, but I would be worried about his knee. I thought I heard he had Microfracture surgery. If that's the case, then I doubt he will be 100% (or close to it) for most of the season. However, he was a pivotal part of that Super Bowl team, so he had to be resigned.

Jahri Evans got a mammoth deal, which is reportedly the biggest deal ever for a Guard. Apparently, the deal is 7 years, $56.7 million (the most ever for a guard). However, he will receive $19 of that in year 1, and $25 of that over the first 3. It seems like it is very frontloaded for this Uncapped year. Great job by the Saints by signing Evans to a big deal. It's about time a Guard gets his due.

Meanwhile, nothing new in Jet Land. Apparently, they haven't found any teams willing to give up a superstar player to add to their roster of superstars. Adalius Thomas is still out there, and the Jets probably have some interest, based on his success under Rex, but nothing of note has happened yet.

There's nothing wrong with the Bengals signing Pacman. It's not like he's going to get some huge contract. He'll get a low money deal probably laced with incentives. If he pans out it's a steal, and if not he'll get cut. He's going to at best be the third corner and most likely be the fourth. He can also return punts and a return man is something the Bengals lack.

Let's also not forget how guys like Cedric Benson, Larry Johnson, and Tank Johnson have been able to come in and contribute in Cincinnati. The Bengals are known for giving second and sometimes third chances. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a shot.

There have also been the others, who didn't pan out. The Cowboys took a flier on Pacman, who take similar risks, but usually more successfully. And this was a year removed from the only year he had solid production. He struggled on the field. If he couldn't regain form then, and didn't show anything two years ago to capture a roster spot in 2009, what's he really going to offer?

I get what you guys are saying by him being talented and low-risk, but that's true of nearly every top 10 pick. Why would the Bengals, after Ben's escalating of tab-keeping on teams themselves, want to bring this guy in? He hasn't played consecutive season in 4 years, yet alone produce. He didn't add anything in Dallas, I just don't see the value. The guy couldn't even stick in the CFL. Lawrence Phillips and Ryan Leaf were talented too.

There have also been the others, who didn't pan out. The Cowboys took a flier on Pacman, who take similar risks, but usually more successfully. And this was a year removed from the only year he had solid production. He struggled on the field. If he couldn't regain form then, and didn't show anything two years ago to capture a roster spot in 2009, what's he really going to offer?

Not every guy is going to pan out with every team. Roy Williams has been shit on the Cowboys too but he still is more then good enough to have a spot in the league. Pacman wasn't completely horrible in Dallas. When they tried starting him it didn't work out too well but as a third or fourth corner he isn't bad.

I get what you guys are saying by him being talented and low-risk, but that's true of nearly every top 10 pick. Why would the Bengals, after Ben's escalating of tab-keeping on teams themselves, want to bring this guy in? He hasn't played consecutive season in 4 years, yet alone produce. He didn't add anything in Dallas, I just don't see the value. The guy couldn't even stick in the CFL. Lawrence Phillips and Ryan Leaf were talented too.

If he becomes a distraction then he gets cut. It's simple. When Odell Thurman was reinstated briefly in 2008 Marvin Lewis thought he was becoming a distraction and cut him. The same will go for Pacman. He is more then good enough to be a back up corner in this league and if his attitude stays good then he'll be fine.

That's obviously the line the Bengals are taking. I just find it too risky when in addition to being a moron and criminal off of the field, he has hardly lived up to the talent level on the field. Its bad when even Dallas kicks your baggage to the curb, yet alone a CFL team.

This also is not 2008. He hasn't kept clean, so why will he now? They thought Chris Henry was under control and that tragically wasn't the case. With Goodell now taking the punishment to teams for bad behavior, I'm not sure its worth all the trouble for a dime CB and rusty Punt Returner.

The Raiders released JaMarcus Russell today. Russell was a former #1 pick, but he never was able to live up to his potential. Maybe Russell can have a fresh start on another team before he can be added to the list of major QB busts such as Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith.

I guess the Raiders are putting all their faith in Jason Campbell. He was never that good in Washington, but maybe he'll be able to lead the Raiders to a decent season this year.

Rams traded former 1st round pick Alex "False Start" Barron today for Cowboy LB Bobby Carpenter. Not sure how I feel about this move, seeing that the Rams just drafted Sam Bradford and they trade away their starting RT. Who knows, they did suck on defense too. My best guess is that Bradford will sit this year out for the most part.

Wasn't Barron the LT and Jason Smith the RT? Either way doesn't matter. Barron was pretty average and needed a change of scenery. Same can be said about Carpenter. I fully expect him to start at OLB next to "Baby Animal" James Laurinaitis. Carpenter needed to get out of the 3-4 as he was just a terrible fit at ILB and nowhere near quick enough to play the OLB. All he was in Dallas was a solid special teamer. He should adjust well into the 4-3 scheme under Spags. I actually like the trade for the Rams and the Boys. Both of them needed a change and I fully expect both of them to do better than they did in their previous spots.

Theo "Hitman" Mays;2026556 said:
I might be the other person in the world who has never been bothered by the whole Favre saga. Yes I'm a Vikings fan, but even when he was a Packer it didn't bother me one bit. If Favre wants to waffle retirement that is his right to do so. If he wants to change his mind that is fine by me as well. The media blows the whole thing out of the water and makes everything little thing seem huge. Favre isn't at fault (at times he maybe, but usually he isn't). I for one believe that he will be back at QB for the Vikings in the 2010-11 season. His story was almost perfect last year, but it ended in tragedy. And we all know Favre plays best when he has something to prove. If not I the Vikings have faith in either Jackson or Sage, since they didn't go out and draft a QB.

I have never liked Favre and to say he plays best when he has something to prove. What exactly has Favre accomplished in his career besides his one super bowl win? Yes, he has the most touchdown passes in a career but he also holds the record for most interceptions thrown in a career.

Brett Favre is a choke artist. Did you know that his final pass in the previous three years have all been interceptions? Wasn't he supposed to lead the Jets to the promised land? He couldn't even get them to the playoffs, yet a rookie in Mark Sanchez leads them to the AFC Championship game.

And then this year, the Vikings are only a field goal away in heading to the Super Bowl and what does Favre do? He doesn't scramble for additional yardage, he tosses a pass across the field and it's picked off. And Favre loses again. He needs to retire. End of story.

How are you a choke artist when you get that far? Favre just lost. Didn't choke. Mark Sanchez lead a whole new team with a better coach, a more efficient offense and a way better defense. You stick Favre on that team and they do just as good, if not better. They might even beat the Colts.

Also you can bring up the interception? But what about the bullshit ending on the fourth down? What about the conservative playcalling? What about the AP fumbles or the other mishaps that occured? You aren't taking that into consideration. You need to quit drinking the haterade, quit being biased, remove your glasses and realize more than one play can change the outcome of the game. Favre tried winning the game, not losing it. Minny was robbed more than anything but I'm not going into that...

Cry me a river over how Minnesota was robbed in that game.

My team the Seattle Seahawks got cheated out of the Super Bowl by the refs. I've learned to live with it and the Vikings will too.

Maybe I can't stand Favre because everybody makes it seem like he is the greatest QB to ever play the game. He holds record after record and he's better than everybody else when I don't see it.

And yeah, the Vikings did make it that far and Favre failed in the clutch. That is what we call a choke artist. Nobody would have cared if it was week 1 and the Vikings lost in OT to the Saints.

But it was the NFC Championship game. He was leading his team to victory. They were so close to getting in field goal range and then Favre returned back to his old ways and tried to be a hero and in a split second turned into the goat. There might have been other surroundings in that game but Favre had a chance to lead his team to the Super Bowl in Overtime but he choked under pressure.

Favre had a lot to prove. He came back and showed that he still has the talent at the age of 40 to be a starting NFL QB. He came back to get back at the Packers. Yeah holding a grudge is childish, but hey whatever gets it done. And it wasn't just Favre's fault the Vikes lost the NFCC game to the Saints. Peterson had 2 fumbles, Berrian had a fumble, as did Percy. I'm not gonna get into the refs thing, because that will just cause a whole other hassle. The whole team was at fault for the lost, not just Favre. He has made a living be a risky QB, so that explains the INT. But look at last year, Favre threw 7 INT on 531 passes. Lets not forget that the Vikes were knocked out of FG range because of too many men on the field penalty. What Favre was doing was trying to get back into FG range and he threw an INT. Who is to say that if the Vikes didn't get a chance in OT that Favre would have scored. We will never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back