NFL Hall of Fame Denies T.O.

SSJPhenom

The Phenom of WZ
For those of you that don't know, Terrell Owens was eligible for entry into the NFL Hall of Fame this year. Sunday, the HOF committee voted on who would be inducted into the HOF this year and T.O. was not voted in. This was his first year of eligibility and if he had of been voted in, of course that would've made him a first ballot Hall of Famer; which many think he should've been. For whatever reason, though, he was denied entry for this year and I can't help but to wonder why.

It's not a case of T.O. not having the necessary credentials or just barely having the credentials. He definitely, more than most in the Hall, had a Hall of Fame worthy career numbers wise. T.O. played 15 seasons in the NFL, was a Wide Receiver, was a 6 time Pro Bowler, 5 time first team All Pro, has 1,078 receptions, 15,934 receiving yards (2nd in NFL history), and 153 receiving TDs (3rd in NFL history). The only thing he didn't accomplish was getting that almighty ring. There are several players, though, in the Hall that didn't get a ring. Honestly, it seemed as if this came down to the antics and problems that T.O. made in the locker room and for several teams. He wasn't the greatest teammate. Some called him a cancer in the locker room and say that he tore teams apart. He would publicly call out teammates or argue with them. Hell, he even argued with or called out his coaches publicly. T.O. wasn't perfect by any means; but is that what the Hall of Fame is for? Isn't the Hall supposed to recognize extraordinary players for their extraordinary accomplishments and stats? I mean, is there a wing of the Hall of Fame for perfect teammates and perfect people? It doesn't seem right to me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that T.O. got shafted and this sends a bad image out about the people who voted for the HOF inductees that they're not objective and that they might be a little petty. I hope the same doesn't go for the NBA Hall of Fame, because if it does, my all time favorite player, Allen Iverson, might not be voted in this year either. What do you guys think? Should T.O. have gotten in this year or was he simply not good enough to be a first ballot Hall of Famer? Let me know your opinions.

He'll eventually get in. I believe the HOF voters are sending him a message his first year to let him know his severe lack of sportsmanship wasn't appreciated.

I don't think there's a problem with that. To gain enshrinement, NFL people are supposed to have demonstrated "commitment, integrity, courage, respect and excellence".....and it can be argued T.O. falls far short in a couple of areas.

The TV cameras were constantly showing Owens on the sideline, right? The guy never shut up, continually screaming at teammates. One time, I was able to read his lips as he berated an offensive lineman, saying to him: "If you can't block the motherfucker, you shouldn't be in the motherfucking game. Your stance is shit, your attitude is shit and your blocking is shit."

I have no problem with Owens being kept out in his first year of eligibility. Not to worry, his stats are far too good to keep him out forever.

Meh. He will get in. It is perfectly reasonable to induct Favre, Pace, Greene, and Harrison this year and have TO wait. He was an excellent wide receiver who put up great stats and helped build the PPR and Bonus Points for 100 yds Era but his career wasn't that outstanding that he can't wait like a lot of other great players.

I've seen better than T.O. get snubbed their first year as a HOF ballot but they always get in (unless you're playing baseball and your name is Pete Rose). Owens was a terrific receiver and deserves to be in the HOF this year but as GSB pointed out it makes perfect sense to put guys like Favre in this year and have T.O. wait a year or 2.

When it's all said and done I think there's no doubt he'll get in and when he does the year he was inducted isn't really going to matter.

This years class "WAS" pretty stacked. Someone had to wait and T.O was the one because let's face it. His antics on and off the field didn't do him any justice. While he's one of the best receivers ever, I think the writers and the board of trustees look at how he represented the NFL. It's gonna take a while but he'll eventually get in.

T.O. Didn't seem bothered by it in the least, at least in public. He acknowledges this was a stacked class and he didn't have his hopes up for getting in this year. We see the same thing in the MLB HoF guys get "snubbed" their first couple of years of eligibility due to the same factors, crowded ballot and or poor sportsmanship and general douchebaggery on and off the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back