NFL Thread - 2010-11

Isaac Bruce retired from the NFL a few days ago. Bruce had a pretty good career with St.Louis, and he was able to win a Super Bowl with the Rams. He was traded from the 49ers to the St.Louis, so he could retire as a Ram.

If you're hoping to see Tim Tebow take over in Denver, then you're going to have to wait a little longer. Josh McDaniels has already said Kyle Orton is his starter heading into training camp.

In other news, Vince Young was given a citation after a fight in a strip club. Young allegedly threw the first punch that set off the fight. I don't think this will be a big deal, and I kind of hope it won't be because Young was able to give the Titans new life last season, and he finally got his starting job back.

Issac's going to be in the Hall. Not sure about a First ballot, but he'll be in the Hall. he had a great career. As for Tebow, well we'll just have to wait till Orton fucks up.

Issac Bruce has always been on of my favorite WR. The guy is a class act and one of the most underrated WR to ever lace up a pair of cleats. He was second all time in yards behind only Jerry Rice, that in its own right is pretty darn impressive. Bruce should be in the Hall. I doubt he goes in on the first ballot, it will really depend on who is there. I mean for crying out loud Cris Carter still isn't in the hall and that is ridiculous. It could be do to his off the field issues when he was in his first few years, but he is arguably the 2nd best WR ever. Sorry, went off on a tangent and it just irks me lol.

Back to Brucey. The guy was truly fun to watch. He will get a shrine in the hall someday and I love the fact the Niners and Rams were able to work out a deal to get him back in St. Louis. Class act and a guy that every NFL WR should aim to be like.

Issac's going to be in the Hall. Not sure about a First ballot, but he'll be in the Hall. he had a great career. As for Tebow, well we'll just have to wait till Orton fucks up.

Shouldn't take to long. I'm a die hard steeler fan but I love tebow. I really hope he does well.

Vince young just seems to me like he just doesn't give a shit. I kno he has a troubled past with his dad always being in prison n shit but cmon how dumb to u have to be to be out in titty bars starting fights. That's so damn immature and I don't think he will ever grow up

Vince young just seems to me like he just doesn't give a shit. I kno he has a troubled past with his dad always being in prison n shit but cmon how dumb to u have to be to be out in titty bars starting fights. That's so damn immature and I don't think he will ever grow up

I'm really glad the guy with the Ben Roethlisberger avatar is talking about immature quarterbacks. This is the only off field problem VY has ever really had and could easily be chalked up as a one time mistake. When he starts repeating the same mistakes *cough* Roethlisberger *cough* then come talk to me about how he is immature.

I'm really glad the guy with the Ben Roethlisberger avatar is talking about immature quarterbacks. This is the only off field problem VY has ever really had and could easily be chalked up as a one time mistake. When he starts repeating the same mistakes *cough* Roethlisberger *cough* then come talk to me about how he is immature.

Sure, Vince isn't nearly on Ben level yet, need to sprinkle in some dubious accounts of sexual assault a motorcylce accident or two, but he's still not ideally what you want you quarterback to be. Ever since he's been in the league, Vince has struggled with the pressure, there was that near suicide incident awhile back, and he's just never seemed to be completely comfortable as a professional quarterback. Of course, he was pretty damn successful last year. Still, a couple of red flags there.

So two guys have made news, but have avoided any discussion here because of historic NBA free agency and the World Cup and what not. Russell and Vick have made news, but not for anything good.

Russell was arrested for being in possession with codeine. This guy is the epitomy of being a bust. We heard here in the Bay Area about how overweight he was, how he was late for meetings and then would fall asleep during meetings. His on the field reflected his workethic, or lack thereof. One thing he had going for him was that he never got into any trouble with the law. That's over. And now its said that it may have cost him a chance to sign with the Jets. This guy is just a pure loser and its a matter of time before he's out of the league.

And then you have Vick. The guy has a birthday party, reports say there was someone there he didn't want. He said he left well before the guy was shot. Video shows that was a lie, as he left maybe a 2-3 mins before. Now does that mean he's responsible? No. But Vick doesn't seem to understand that hanging out with these is going to cost him his career. Police say they aren't sure what they consider Vick at this point. For the sake of his career, he better pray they don't try to bring any charges against him because that would be the end of Vick in the NFL.

Not many people have been paying attention to the NFL off season so this has gone unnoticed but a couple days ago Antonio Pierce retired from the NFL and will join ESPN as an NFL analyst. Pierce spent 9 seasons in the NFL, 4 with Washington and 5 with the Giants. For 5 seasons from 2004-2008 he was a full time starter and one of the more underrated middle linebackers in the game.

He was a one time pro bowler and won a Super Bowl with the Giants. An injury cut Pierce's 2009 season short and the Giants released him back in February. At just 31 years old he can still play and start for a lot of teams in the league but he has decided to call it quits instead of risking further harm to his body. I for one think he had a very solid career and look forward to seeing him on ESPN as an analyst.

Looking on ESPN.com a minute ago and saw that the Rams are trying to work a deal with Bradford that would be the richest contract in NFL history. The deal would be worth $45 to $50 million in guaranteed money. Now I don't know about anyone else, but that is an obscene amount of money to give to an unproven player, especially one coming off an injury. The contracts continue to increase, and this would be a bit hit if Bradford doesn't end up being the player the Rams hope he becomes.

It's just the nature of the beast that is NFL rookie contracts. Every year some new record deal is reached for first overall picks and it's even more prevalent when the first pick is a quarterback. There are plenty of guys like Jamarcus Russell and David Carr who never lived up to the huge deals they got but until there is a rookie cap then these deals will just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I can't stand Rookie contracts. They're a joke. An unproven player gets more money than a proven veteran who is all pro caliber and has rings. I know its not all about guaranteed money because contracts do come with hidden incentives. But to say Bradford is worth more than a Ben, Rivers, Peyton, Brees and Brady is a joke. There needs to be a limit on rookie contracts. In years time a rookie will be up to a 100 million dollars in guaranteed money and that's before throwing a pass in the NFL... That's truly a joke.

Ya, what'd Bradford get something like 45 million guaranteed? He didn't even finish a college season last year, yet he makes more than a majority of NFL veterans do for their entire career? Everything is based so much on the draft, perhaps even more so that actual performance. For instance, Vincent Jackson hasn't got paid at all in San Diego because his rookie contract was small since he was drafted later. His pay reflects his draft position more than his actual play, which is just wrong.

They should go to a system somewhat like the NBA where there are rookie scales set for each pick and you can pay up to 120% of that number. Keeps salaries somewhat under control and prevents ridiculous lockouts.

Well well well.

Terrell Owens has agreed on a one-year, $2 million deal with the Cincinnati Bengals, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

Owens

According to the source, the deal also includes another $2 million in incentives.

Owens spent last season with the Buffalo Bills.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

This is a stupid move. Now they have Chad Ochocinco and Owens. Palmer is a going to be bald by week 12. Owens is selfish and will get pissed when they have to spread the field. I can't wait for the implosion, this is going to be good. I do hope Chad and Owens work on a TD dance. That could be fantastic. This move doesn't make them better in my opinion. Baltimore is still the best team in my opinion and people are truly underrating the Steelers. They got a better defense and a great coach.

Reactions: gd
I laughed when I heard. I see no reason any team other than one absolutely desparate for receivers would bother with him. He's clearly on the decline of his career, and a steep one at that. He's still an egocentric prick, and they already have one of those with Chad.

Sure, he didn't cause much of a stink in Buffalo last year, but there weren't any expectations there. There are in Cincy this year, and he'll likely implode under the pressure, especially without a really strong leader in the locker room, which Marvin is not.

Bad move by the vh1 Bengals.

I actually like the move for one year. Chad Johnson has matured somewhat recently and TO shouldn't have any complaints being the number 2 guy with Carson Palmer as his qb. Johnson, Owens, and Bryant are the best wide out trio that Cinci has had since Johnson, TJ, and Chris Henry.

I was beyond pissed off when I read about the T.O. to the Bengals move. I have been pushing hard to want to see him along side Steve Smith. Would that have worked any better? Who knows..

What I do know is this.. the Bengals passed on Owens earlier in the year, and only picked him up because they were likely the only true team pursuing him that weren't complete trash. And yet I still believe they won't come close to winning the division.

What is Owens going to do? Replace Chris Henry for 3rd on the depth chart? I mean, again, he was over-looked and they went with Antonio Bryant instead of him. Now due to injuries alone to Bryant, they bring in Owens. So.. what if Bryant is healthy? Would Owens jump him on the depth chart? It doesn't make much sense for them to sign Bryant over T.O. earlier this year, if their new plan is to use Owens more.. does it.

I think this is a spotlight move. Owens will shine more spotlight onto the Bengals and gain them what basically no one else on the team could (with some exception to Chad Eight Five.)

When you bottomline this; you can only throw the ball to one person. You have a RB in Benson (who may or may not be in some trouble - I haven't heard anything on that issue) who had a big season a year ago, and could be in line for another. You have a back-up RB who came on strong to finish the season. You have a glory-hog WR in Chad, and now you bring in two more top WRs to fill out the depth? That's a TON of egos.. and only one ball to split among them. Good. Luck. With. THAT!

I actually like the move for one year.

Owens joining any team for one year would be a good move, just based on the numbers he has put up in his career. For better or worse, he can produce. It just depends on how much, or how less, per game.

He's not getting younger, and while I blame his season in Buffalo more on the lack-luster offense than age - the fact is; his numbers have dropped more and more since 2007.

Chad Johnson has matured somewhat recently

Didn't he publicly go through child-like tantrums about wanting Owens to join the team, though? I'm pretty sure he was a big public supporter of Owens joining - to the point of making it a well known fact he was calling more of the shots than the actual team management.

and TO shouldn't have any complaints being the number 2 guy

He was #2 in Buffalo. Do you know what's lower than that? The Browns, Raiders and I think the Rams. I doubt Owens would've complained if he was behind Brandon Marshall in Miami; or Moss, Welker & Edelman in New England.

He pretty much just didn't want to be unemployed.. and having his only options being complete shit teams. I agree 100% that I highly doubt he'll cause any drama.. because he likely knows if he does, the Rams and Bucs are the last options.

with Carson Palmer as his qb.

(1.) If he stays healthy.

(2.) Anything's a step up from Edwards.. unless it's Campbell or Russell. ;)

Johnson, Owens, and Bryant are the best wide out trio that Cinci has had since Johnson, TJ, and Chris Henry.

So.. the best trio the team has had in a two year span?

Does this make Owens - Henry? Because Bryant is 2nd on the depth chart unless injuries say otherwise. That's already been established. I will say this though.. Owen's as your 3rd string WR is a damn fine job. :lmao:

He's not getting younger, and while I blame his season in Buffalo more on the lack-luster offense than age - the fact is; his numbers have dropped more and more since 2007.
Have his numbers dropped? Yes. However, they dropped from being a top-level #1 Receiver to a very solid/very good #2 receiver, who still can be a threat at any time to opposing defenses. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Didn't he publicly go through child-like tantrums about wanting Owens to join the team, though? I'm pretty sure he was a big public supporter of Owens joining - to the point of making it a well known fact he was calling more of the shots than the actual team management.
He publicly and Twitterly campaigned for TO to join the team, because the team needed another Wide Receiver, and TO and Ocho are close friends. He wasn't calling the shots ahead of Management, he was just wanting to play with his close friend, who could (and will) help his team. That's a common thing nowadays in sports, friends wanting to play together.

He was #2 in Buffalo. Do you know what's lower than that? The Browns, Raiders and I think the Rams. I doubt Owens would've complained if he was behind Brandon Marshall in Miami; or Moss, Welker & Edelman in New England.
He was #2 in Buffalo behind one of the most underrated receivers in the game in Lee Evans. Evans is a great Wide Receiver, but doesn't get any attention because he plays in Buffalo with an absolute shit QB. And you really didn't assume Owens would be lower on the Depth Chart then Julian Edelman, right? Please tell me you didn't say that...

He pretty much just didn't want to be unemployed.. and having his only options being complete shit teams. I agree 100% that I highly doubt he'll cause any drama.. because he likely knows if he does, the Rams and Bucs are the last options.
The Jets (who expressed slight interest a couple days ago) are a real shit team alright. And he went to his best shot at playing for a winner. He's chasing a ring, and I can't blame him.

So.. the best trio the team has had in a two year span?
Yes, but it's also better then what most teams are throwing out there at Wide Receiver. And I would say Ocho/TO/Bryant is better then Ocho/Houshmanzadeh.

Does this make Owens - Henry? Because Bryant is 2nd on the depth chart unless injuries say otherwise. That's already been established. I will say this though.. Owen's as your 3rd string WR is a damn fine job. :lmao:
Owens is #2 on the Depth Chart. Bryant has a knee, and they are somewhat down on him already. Bryant as a #3 receiver is excellent though, maybe even 2nd best 3rd receiver in the league behind Jerricho Cotchery.

I like T.O to Cincy. I have to say I think T.O finally understands his place. I think he can accept his role on the team, whatever it will be. Sure his numbers have dropped off, but that's if your looking at him as a number 1. T.O as a 2nd option is perfect for him. And if things don't work out, at least we should all be entertained.

Have his numbers dropped? Yes. However, they dropped from being a top-level #1 Receiver to a very solid/very good #2 receiver, who still can be a threat at any time to opposing defenses. I'd take that in a heartbeat.

I agree with every bit of this. I was merely stating that he isn't going to get the money he truly wants anymore, because he's become too old and his numbers are dropping by the year. Which shows his time as a mainstream #1 WR has come, and now gone.

However, a very good-great #2 is where he is at. And a hugely solid #3, for sure. ;)

He publicly and Twitterly campaigned for TO to join the team, because the team needed another Wide Receiver, and TO and Ocho are close friends. He wasn't calling the shots ahead of Management, he was just wanting to play with his close friend, who could (and will) help his team. That's a common thing nowadays in sports, friends wanting to play together.

My overall point was he hasn't really matured, he just goes about his immaturity in different manners. Twitter, is a perfect is a perfect example of this.

You say he isn't calling the shot above management, and he simply wants to play with his team, but I guarantee you - NFL Network called it right. He got what he wanted, and he's likely to try and play harder this year - than if he didn't get Owens to become a team mate.

How do you think Bryant feels about all of this, as well? Owens, nor anyone else on the team, pushed this publicly for him to join. And when he did, Chad still was pushing hard - publicly - for Owens to join. I'd see that as disrespectful.

He was #2 in Buffalo behind one of the most underrated receivers in the game in Lee Evans. Evans is a great Wide Receiver, but doesn't get any attention because he plays in Buffalo with an absolute shit QB.

I agree with every bit of this. Lee Evans is an amazing WR, and I can only imagine how much better he'll be once he leaves Buffalo.

This will be his 7th year in Buffalo. Surely he shouldn't have many more yr's left, right?

And you really didn't assume Owens would be lower on the Depth Chart then Julian Edelman, right? Please tell me you didn't say that...

Yes. I did. And if you don't think Julian Edelman.. wait, you're a Jets fan, of course you don't think anyone from New England will become anything.

Fact is though, Edelman is playing behind Welker (a very solid possession receiver) and Moss (an aging vet who can still gain more coverage than Owens and he had some horrible games, himself, a year ago).

Edelman will shine as a #3, and if Brady gets over his bad year a season ago, I think they'll form more of a connection this year. Welker isn't at 100% yet, and if they/he push too hard - Edelman could become a #2.

Actually, wait, didn't Torry Holt sign with them this year? Alright, fuck, forget all of the above for about a year or two down the road. We'll resume then.

Until then.. Moss, Welker & Holt > Owens, Eight Five & Bryant.

The Jets (who expressed slight interest a couple days ago) are a real shit team alright. And he went to his best shot at playing for a winner. He's chasing a ring, and I can't blame him.

Owens would have had a better chance at a ring, sitting on the bench for the Jets than he would running routes in Ohio.

I honestly believe the Browns are going to finish better than the Bengals. (yes, I said it)

Yes, but it's also better then what most teams are throwing out there at Wide Receiver. And I would say Ocho/TO/Bryant is better then Ocho/Houshmanzadeh.

Whosyourmamma is a vastly greater possession WR than Owens or Bryant will EVER be. Bryant is nothing more than a one-hit deep wonder. And Owens is having a more difficult time with catching than ever.

Owens is #2 on the Depth Chart. Bryant has a knee, and they are somewhat down on him already. Bryant as a #3 receiver is excellent though, maybe even 2nd best 3rd receiver in the league behind Jerricho Cotchery.

I don't disagree that if he's healthy, he'll be solid. But I stand by what I said earlier in saying.. All those ego's, and only one ball to go around.

I don't doubt that Chad (while they're winning) will be content. But if they begin to lose, each will assume had they gotten the ball more, they would have.

I don't care that TO went to Cincy. But I hated the way the sports show treated it. Like the greatest thing since direct deposit or something. The guy isn't not a top producing WR anymore. I guess it was okay for him to draw attention like honey does to flies when he was actually worth the buzz.

Reactions: gd
So apparently Haynesworth failed his conditioning test. He needed to pass in order to practice with his teamates. When asked if he thought Haynesworth was going to bbe apart of the team, Shanahan said "we'll see". This thing just won't end. As a Redskins fan, I'm not sure I want him a part of this team. He had expressed that he was going to be in shape and would not be a distraction. But I don't trust him. Put this down as another failed free agent signing. he got his money so now there is no motivation to bust his ass out there. Disappointing.

So the Bills released Aaron Schobel today. Have to say it was a good move. He pretty much made it clear that he was done with the team when he didn't come take a physical and collect a 2 million dollar bonus. It definitely was the right move to make, alot of Bills fans are pissed that they just dumped him instead of trying to trade him for something but te fact is even the the guy still has value, he has a huge contract and made it clear that if he did play this year it would be his last a few months back. I can't really blame him for wanting out the Bills haven't been any good since the late 90's and a string of 6-10 seasons isn't showing improvement. The guy just wants to go to the playoffs.

Schobel has said he wanted to play close to home if he plays for another team, with his home being in Texas, so that leaves the Texans and Cowboys as probably his top two choices. Teams like New England are said to be interested as well. Hopefully he will sign with a contender he deserves it, having been one of the most underrated DE's in the league for a long time.

ESPN.com
Former Eagles running back Brian Westbrook has signed a one-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers.

Westbrook has been looking to find a job, visiting several teams in recent months. Westbrook had spent his entire eight-year career in Philadelphia but was released in the offseason after injuries limited him to just eight games in 2009.

The 49ers' 2009 third-round pick, running back Glen Coffee, abruptly retired over the weekend. Coffee was expected to compete with Anthony Dixon and Michael Robinson for the backup job to starter Frank Gore. Coffee told the 49ers he no longer wanted to play football.

Westbrook is a two-time Pro Bowler and at the height of his career was considered one of the best all-around backs in football. However, he struggled with multiple concussions in recent years and the Eagles decided to move on.

Westbrook led the NFL with 2,104 yards from scrimmage in 2007, but missed eight games last season with a pair of concussions and an ankle injury while scoring only two touchdowns.

The 30-year old passed a physical on a visit to St. Louis earlier this offseason. As recently as Saturday, the Rams denied reports they were close to a deal with Westbrook.

Westbrook also visited the Washington Redskins and Denver Broncos during the course of the summer.
kind of a shock considering he had narrowed his choices to WAS & STL but a great pickup by the Niners nonetheless

i think he'll be their 3rd down back with Anthony Dixon winning the #2 job obviously behind Frank Gore

Whoa, though he was going to St. Louis for sure. He should be a serviceable backup and all, won't take many carries away from Gore or anything.

It's a great pickup for them though. This could take them from a putrid offense to at least an average one. And in that division, that's all you really need, to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back