• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NFL Season Opener LD - Giants vs Cowboys

The Cowboys needed this win more than the Giants because the Cowboys have something to prove after last year. Beating the defending Superbowl champions, no matter how beatable they were last year, is a step in that direction. Still funny how the Giants are the first EVER defending champs to lose on opening day.

Everyone who talks about last year being a fluke is just jealous. If it were your team, you'd all be clamoring about your Superbowl win and telling us all to fuck off. All the Giants did last year was prove to everyone that games are won in the postseason, not the regular season.

Yeah, but it helps to win in the reg. season too, ya know so you can get to the post season. Giants got hot at the right time last year, as a Packer fan they were one of the few teams I was legitimately worried about, & clearly my concerns were made valid when they sent our asses packin'. (no pun intended)

We've always been a dangerous team but we get no respect from most other fans out there. With the exception of the 1990 season, every season we've won something has always been called a "fluke." It's fucking bullshit and ignorance at its best.

We've always been a dangerous team but we get no respect from most other fans out there. With the exception of the 1990 season, every season we've won something has always been called a "fluke." It's fucking bullshit and ignorance at its best.

I love how people call the Giants a fluke & lucky, but when Tebow started for the Broncos last year, & all of sudden they kept find ways to barely squeak out wins, it was all Tebow & had nothing to do with luck or being flukey.

I wouldn't call last year's Superbowl victory a fluke. Disappointing? For sure. Unexpected? Absolutely. Miraculous? Some (such as me) would say yes. But a fluke? Nope. Just a case of being reasonably good and peaking at the right time and riding the momentum all the way. And of course, facing a team in the Superbowl with no defense whatsoever doesn't hurt either.

The 2007 win wasn't a fluke. Last year, however, come on...

Look how the Giants got to the playoffs in the first place... it took Dallas choking, missing fields goals and letting inferior teams comeback to beat them. So, yes... that's flukey to begin with.

Then you have the Packers, at home, for the first time all year dropping countless passes.

The San Francisco game... one guy with 3 fumbles. Not to mention had the Saints hadn't hand that game over to San Fran in the first place that there was zero possibility of the Giants coming to New Orleans and winning in the dome, so they got lucky in that case too.

And New England with the Wes Welker and other drops... not great defense, guys fucking up just like Green Bay did.

The Giants won off of other teams mistakes, not by actually being the best team or in some cases even causing those mistakes. Eli deserves credit for his toughness and play under pressure, and of course the defensive line stepped up just at the right time, but that team was still really, really, REALLY fortunate things went the way they did. To me, fortunate can equal lucky/fluke at times, and this is one of those cases.

9-7 team and the first Super Bowl defending champion to lose the next year on opening day in the last 8 years. If you don't want to call the Giants a fluke, then fine... I'll settle with saying they're the worst Super Bowl winning team in NFL history.

Look how the Giants got to the playoffs in the first place... it took Dallas choking, missing fields goals and letting inferior teams comeback to beat them. So, yes... that's flukey to begin with.

Then you have the Packers, at home, for the first time all year dropping countless passes.

The San Francisco game... one guy with 3 fumbles. Not to mention had the Saints hadn't hand that game over to San Fran in the first place that there was zero possibility of the Giants coming to New Orleans and winning in the dome, so they got lucky in that case too.

And New England with the Wes Welker and other drops... not great defense, guys fucking up just like Green Bay did.

The Giants won off of other teams mistakes, not by actually being the best team or in some cases even causing those mistakes. Eli deserves credit for his toughness and play under pressure, and of course the defensive line stepped up just at the right time, but that team was still really, really, REALLY fortunate things went the way they did. To me, fortunate can equal lucky/fluke at times, and this is one of those cases.

9-7 team and the first Super Bowl defending champion to lose the next year on opening day in the last 8 years. If you don't want to call the Giants a fluke, then fine... I'll settle with saying they're the worst Super Bowl winning team in NFL history.

The Giants played BETTER than any other team from the last 3 weeks of the season to when they won the Superbowl that's why they won. You're basically saying the Giants won because they didn't make costly mistakes under pressure when other teams did and they also made teams PAY for their costly mistakes. There's a huge difference between fluke and playing great with their backs against the wall.

I must have missed those times when Brees threw those interceptions and they couldn't run the ball to save their lives.

They still had the game in hand regardless. It was our piss poor D play calling that cost the Saints that game and nothing more.

Think about this... the Saints couldn't run the ball like you said, had 5 turnovers, was up against a top 3 defense in the entire league, and still put up 32 points and had themselves in a position to win with well under 2 minutes left. However, our ******ed defensive coordinator blitzed seven and kept the best player on the field, the guy who was killing us all game, in single coverage against a mediocre pass defender. Gregg Williams lost us that game, end of story.

The Giants played BETTER than any other team from the last 3 weeks of the season to when they won the Superbowl that's why they won. You're basically saying the Giants won because they didn't make costly mistakes under pressure when other teams did and they also made teams PAY for their costly mistakes. There's a huge difference between fluke and playing great with their backs against the wall.

I don't get the problem with saying a team was lucky. It's not like I'm saying the Giants were lucky against the Falcons... that was a game where the flat out better team won. And myself, as a gigantic Saints fan, has admitted countless times that the Saints were lucky when they beat the Vikings to go to the Super Bowl.

Luck happens in sports, and if people want to refuse to accept it then fine... let's say it wasn't luck, the Giants are STILL the worst team in NFL history to win the Super Bowl. 9-7, two ugly losses to the Redskins, and losing on opening day the next year with virtually the same team. Not to mention they will miss the playoffs this year. Show me another Super Bowl winner with that kind of resume and I'll shut up right now about it.

You can't find me too many Super Bowl teams who haven't had ugly losses. Green Bay lost to Miami and Washington the year they won it and went 10-6.

About that "virtually the same team" line? They lost Ballard, lost Manningham, McKenzie isn't there and also lost a great goal-line running back in Brandon Jacobs.

I don't get the problem with saying a team was lucky. It's not like I'm saying the Giants were lucky against the Falcons... that was a game where the flat out better team won. And myself, as a gigantic Saints fan, has admitted countless times that the Saints were lucky when they beat the Vikings to go to the Super Bowl.

Luck happens in sports, and if people want to refuse to accept it then fine... let's say it wasn't luck, the Giants are STILL the worst team in NFL history to win the Super Bowl. 9-7, two ugly losses to the Redskins, and losing on opening day the next year with virtually the same team. Not to mention they will miss the playoffs this year. Show me another Super Bowl winner with that kind of resume and I'll shut up right now about it.

Luck does happen in sports, and of course there's nothing wrong in saying that. For example, your average Flames fan would say Tampa Bay was lucky winning the Stanley Cup because of the supposed Gelinas goal in Game 6 in the Stanley Cup finals that would have won the Flames the cup. I say it was a goal and I would also say Tampa Bay got lucky in that goal not counting. I'm a huge Flames hater and I even have to admit it was a goal. It doesn't mean Tampa Bay couldn't have evened up the score sometime in the game but it was very fortunate for them not having to, but I digress.

The Giants were average at best throughout most of the NFL season, no arguing that but I don't see how they were lucky against any team in the playoffs or any of the teams that they played in the last 3-4 games of the season. You could say they were lucky by Dallas choking but considering that's all Dallas did last season I wouldn't call it luck. The Giants still had to win the their games to take the playoff spot and they did just that. I guess what I'm saying when the Giants had to win their games and be the better team they were. There wasn't one playoff game where they won because of a fluke, they deserved to win them all. The Packers dropped a lot of passes sure, but it doesn't change the fact they got outplayed by the Giants.

All in all (and this is coming from a Dallas fan so I'm designed to hate the Giants) I don't have an issue with you saying they were lucky, I just disagree with that statement.

Arguments like this really make my skin boil. You want to sit there and point out a total of three plays from each game and say they were the reasons why the Giants win was a fluke? Was there not another 55 minutes of play time in the entire game?? Other phenomenal football was played during those games, you know.

You act as if a team never fumbled a ball, dropped a pass, or missed a field goal before. Countless passes were dropped by the Giants, too. We missed some field goals. We fumbled the ball. But the difference is that we made those mistakes and STILL came out on top. That's called resilience, not luck.

I will never understand how a sport fan can pluck out four minutes of a football game and say THOSE were the main factors that contributed towards a team's win or loss. Being ignorant about the rest of the games that were played is just plain foolish.

Or maybe the Giants were lucky because they won the division despite getting outscored by a TD and having the 3rd best point differential in their own division...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back