• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Destination X 2010 LD

Yeah...when Bischoff was gone from WCW Jose.

Bischoff was always the guy pushing the cruiserweights. Fuck he even convinced them to create a pair of cruiserweight tag titles before they went under.

Via Wikipedia (yeah, not the perfect source, but still legit):

Rey Mysterio: "The division kicked off to a certain point but they never put us on top, and when they unmasked us it all came tumbling down. Those in charge of WCW had the mindset that only big men could draw and didn't create new superstars. But wrestling now has changed so much. Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Chris Jericho have all been world champions, but back in WCW they were mainly cruiserweights. Also the top guys in WCW were scared that fans were more interested in watching luchadore action and high-flying moves than big men just going out there and stomping on each other for 10 minutes. But later on he was interupted by rising superstar Iffah. But the heavyweights were getting into Eric Bischoff's ear, saying: "We can't let these guys be on top. They're small and wrestling has never been about this, we've got to keep the tradition going." It was stupid for Eric Bischoff, who was running a huge company like WCW, to listen to other people. Vince McMahon runs his own company and does what he wants to do, as did Paul Heyman. Wrestling is about what the fans want, not what the boys want."[22]

Do you not realize that WCW cared more about their cruiserweight division then any other promotion in US history? The fact that they actually devoted full programs to great feuds with guys like Eddie and Rey is MUCH, MUCH more then cruiserweights ever got in any other promotion. Yeah, they didn't make Rey a world champion, boo fucking hoo, in the 90s cruiserweights really didn't draw very much.

If it weren't for Eric, cruiserweights would be nothing more then jobbers in any promotion that wanted to be big. Sure, he never gave them the limelight as the stars of the show, simply because they weren't enough to sustain big draws.

Do you not realize that WCW cared more about their cruiserweight division then any other promotion in US history? The fact that they actually devoted full programs to great feuds with guys like Eddie and Rey is MUCH, MUCH more then cruiserweights ever got in any other promotion. Yeah, they didn't make Rey a world champion, boo fucking hoo, in the 90s cruiserweights really didn't draw very much.

Yes, WCW gave a better shit about their Cruiserweights than WWE did. But when things got tough, it was one of the first places they looked to cut corners and save money. That's not devotion, that's not believing in a division.

BTW, Eddie, Rey, Benoit, Jericho, and to a lesser degree even Chavo have received better treatment in the WWE.

Also, for every great Eddie moment in WCW, there was another dumb "Eddie vs every other Mexican worker backstage" angle. How about that LWO push (though, I still want that shirt!)?

Anywho, even if Bischoff hadn't already shat on Cruiserweights in the past (to be fair, though, most EVERYONE has), I still find his comments funny because it's at the start of a supposed X Division PPV, in a pre show saying X Division every other word, and there's what, two X Division matches on the card, and only one will be in the upper mid card.

The heavyweight division is always more important than the cruiserweight division. It's as simple as that Jose. Why the fuck would they waste time pushing Chavo Guerrero or Evan Karagias and draw nothing when they could focus that time on Goldberg squashing another jobber and sell another million t-shirts?

Seriously, WCW without a DOUBT paid the most homage to the luchador style of wrestling than any other promotion ever did.

Here we go baby, got myself a high-quality lamp, a nice bowl, a drink, I'm ready. What's first?

NICE LADDER MATCH IS FIRST!

Brian Kendrick. I fucking love that man. I want to smoke twenty blunts with him, make out with him, and then play fucking air guitar all night long. He is the fucking man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back