Daggers & Dragons: Ask me stuff

Rank these Sailor Scouts from best to worst: Moon, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Chibi Moon, Neptune, Uranus, Pluto, Saturn.

Ech, if you're reading this I'd want to see your rankings of the Sailor Scouts also.

Define "best." Does that mean favorite or most capable? If by favorites mine are: Venus, Mars, Neptune, Chibi Moon, Moon, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, Jupiter, Mercury.

If by capabilities its Moon > Saturn > Chibi Moon > Pluto > Uranus/Neptune > Everyone else.

Have I asked you what your favorite RP of mine was?

My favorite RP of yours was during the hero academy arc when Hyada was the student to figure out the riddle that everyone who didn't figure out would fail the class. That whole arc was pretty awesome.

Have you ever played the D&D side scrolling beat-em ups, Tower of Doom and Shadow of Mystera?

Sadly no, what console? I'll have the look those up. I did play King Of Dragons on the SNES which is a D&D beat-em up. Loved that game. I consider it the greatest side scrolling beat-em up of all time.

Define "best." Does that mean favorite or most capable? If by favorites mine are: Venus, Mars, Neptune, Chibi Moon, Moon, Saturn, Uranus, Pluto, Jupiter, Mercury.

If by capabilities its Moon > Saturn > Chibi Moon > Pluto > Uranus/Neptune > Everyone else.

I meant who you like the most based off what you have seen in the cartoons. Good to know Venus is both of our favorite. She's the best! :)

Trying to figure out where my strength lies in RPs and where my weaknesses are. If there was one RP that you thoroughly enjoyed, what was it and what about it did you personally like? And what part of my work isn't my strongest suit?

Also Sailor Mars > everyone. Had such a boyhood crush on her.

I did play King Of Dragons on the SNES which is a D&D beat-em up. Loved that game. I consider it the greatest side scrolling beat-em up of all time.

Have you played the Double Dragon games or River City Ransom?

If so;

Booooooooooooo Double Dragon 1 and 2, and River City Ransom are the best of all time dammit!!

Sadly no, what console? I'll have the look those up. I did play King Of Dragons on the SNES which is a D&D beat-em up. Loved that game. I consider it the greatest side scrolling beat-em up of all time.

Arcade. It's on Steam as a collection.

It might be on consoles as well, but not sure.

☮ Spidey ✌;4989399 said:
Trying to figure out where my strength lies in RPs and where my weaknesses are. If there was one RP that you thoroughly enjoyed, what was it and what about it did you personally like? And what part of my work isn't my strongest suit?

Also Sailor Mars > everyone. Had such a boyhood crush on her.

Hard to pinpoint a favorite as many of them have been really good, but I can touch on some things I have liked about them as a whole. Your strength is in how deep the material really is, it's great stuff and I enjoy reading it. My favorite thing about your RP's are those images with the quotes in them such as the one where you had a candle and the line "Do not go gentle into that good night" or the one with the wolf that had the line "Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep." I love these. Don't stop using those in your RP's. The List is also a cool concept. The addition of some of the silliness that Flex brings complements The Catalyst real well.... Just keep on writing as you have been, keep using the quote imagery, and keep up the great work. I'd say.... try to come up with ways to make each RP stand out more from the rest. If that makes any sense. Hope that helps. You've come a long way since our Aftershock match back when you were new.

Have you played the Double Dragon games or River City Ransom?

If so;

Booooooooooooo Double Dragon 1 and 2, and River City Ransom are the best of all time dammit!!

I have and I stand by my statement. We could always agree to disagree. ;) I stand by my statement.... while there are other good beat-em up's out there, King Of Dragons is the best.

I have and I stand by my statement. We could always agree to disagree. ;) I stand by my statement.... while there are other good beat-em up's out there, King Of Dragons is the best.

I'm not sure if King of the Monsters is considered a beat-em up, but it was always one of my favorite games.

My favorite beat-em ups were:

X-Men Arcade
TMNT: Arcade
Shengoku
Ninja Combat
The D&D ones I mentioned
Golden Ax
Final Fight
Captain America and the Avengers
Altered Beast

And there was one other SNK game that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of, but it allowed you to play as bosses you defeated when you started new levels.

It should. If you want to link up that entire playlist into a post do it similar to how you would do the regular videos. The URL is "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s20588opz4&list=UUJvBEEqTaLaKclbCPgIjBSQ" so take the part after "v=" and paste that, it should link the whole playlist into your post that way.

Did that, didn't work for me.

Did you take the URL from the browser bar or from the video information?

Click the youtube tag and put "0s20588opz4&list=UUJvBEEqTaLaKclbCPgIjBSQ" inside it, it worked for me when I did that. :shrug:

[YOUTUBE]0s20588opz4&list=UUJvBEEqTaLaKclbCPgIjBSQ[/YOUTUBE]

Odd.

I'm not sure if King of the Monsters is considered a beat-em up, but it was always one of my favorite games.

My favorite beat-em ups were:

X-Men Arcade
TMNT: Arcade
Shengoku
Ninja Combat
The D&D ones I mentioned
Golden Ax
Final Fight
Captain America and the Avengers
Altered Beast

And there was one other SNK game that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of, but it allowed you to play as bosses you defeated when you started new levels.

Final Fight 1 through 3 were great. I have not played everything on this list, but I'll have to add some of these to list my list of games to check out as well. King of Dragons is the best beat-em up as I stated previously, 2nd for me is Turtles In Time. Now there's a fun one you don't hear as much about anymore.

I am now. ;) I hadn't heard of that before you posted this.

After watching a few of their live games, what would you do to have Chis Perkins as your DM? :p

I'm playing my first ever game of D&D on Sunday with some friends and we're all playing for the first time (apparently the DM we're gonna have has played quite a bit in the past). Got any pointers or general tips to having a fun game and starting out strongly?

What's the most moral situation you've encountered in D&D (either you did or saw)

What's your favorite fantasy story? (not like Willow or Lord of the Rings, but kind of story)

Mine is the downfall of the hero.

If you could reinvent the big three races of fantasy, perhaps specifically in D&D (Humans, Elves and Dwarves), how would you do it?

What's the biggest flaw in D&D and Final Fantasy/RPGs?

If you were employed in a wrestling company, which role do you think you would be most suited to? Commentator, Ring announcer, Backstage interviewer, or Fake cop/Security?

After watching a few of their live games, what would you do to have Chis Perkins as your DM? :p

It would be cool just to see what it would be like, but I dunno. I've rarely had much of an answer for the "what would you do for (insert random thing)" questions. Not sure why, call it a quirk of mine perhaps. That and I already have 4 D&D campaigns going on outside of work, church, moderating, RP'ing, and more. Don't have time to add more unless it were for just a couple of sessions for fun.

I'm playing my first ever game of D&D on Sunday with some friends and we're all playing for the first time (apparently the DM we're gonna have has played quite a bit in the past). Got any pointers or general tips to having a fun game and starting out strongly?

Yes.

Have a character concept in mind, think of characters in movies/TV/games/books/etc you might want to draw inspiration from. Make the character your own just as you have for M here in the fed. Character creation can be a pain and takes hours to do but if you go in with a cool idea already in mind, it goes by so much faster.

True story: The "real" Theron started out as a very basic idea when I went to create the character. I had this Human Barbarian named Brutus 4 years ago who had Sheamus for an image rep minus the accent. Theres wasn't much more to Brutus than that. The "real" Theron began as an attempt to make a blonde Elven Fighter counterpart to Brutus. That was all I went into the character creation with. Little things got added to his backstory and concept after the first few sessions such as wanting him to have had his home village get destroyed by a dragon attack, he likes Falchion swords, he should be a fire elemental, has a love interest who is highly religious.... Short version is that I didn't go into it with the full in-depth backstory and character concept in mind. It came later. Character creation that day 3 years ago took HOURS. Like.... the entire day went toward us making characters. Over the years he has been around as a character though, Theron's actual counterpart evolved greatly as a character concept and now has more to him as a concept than every other character I've ever made from the past 12 years COMBINED. Sometimes an idea grows. And grows. And grows some more.

Example 2: Angelo Drake, my Dragon Disciple. I went into character creation with a concept in mind. It only took a couple of hours. I rolled his stats, picked feats, picked his race, gave him levels in Fighter and Bard to ensure he can prestige class into Dragon Disciple, shared my back story to the DM, and he was ready to enter an on-going campaign where I chose to retire another character. He joined the party that same day, when he as a character concept was only generated that morning.

Ok enough on character generation. Now, for gameplay.... If you do not already own dice, look for some at a local gaming shop. Pick out a couple of sets (no more than 4 if you're new, that should suffice) based on how much you like them and how they may fit the character(s) you will be the handler for. I picked mine based off character types. I have dice that go to my Fighters that are seperate from dice that would go to my Paladins or Clerics, for instance.

Once you have your character made and your dice.... Just have fun. Be the character. Ask yourself constantly. What would he/she do. Not what M (for lack of knowing your name outside the forum) would do. Silly voices can be fun, but use at your own risk. Some DM's hate this. Eat a big meal before playing if it's going to be a late night session. Maybe bring an energy drink. I like Dragon Fruit flavored water energy drinks that I buy from Wal-Mart to put in water bottles, personally it fits with D&D perfectly due to a pun with the name and it tastes great. That, or a Margarita if I'm not driving home that night. Go easy on drinks though, drunken D&D gets VERY weird VERY quickly whether you're sober or not.

If I can think of more I'll re-quote this but I think I covered the basics. Oh, one last thing. If the party already has a bunch of Fighter types, make a roguish type or a caster type. Same goes for if they have too many Rogues or too many casters. If there's too many non-fighters then you definitely want a Fighter, Barbarian, or a Paladin if no one else has one. Try to ensure that the party has some variety. If there are four handlers then if the 1st is a Fighter, the 2nd is a Cleric or Paladin, the 3rd is a Wizard or Druid, and the 4th is a Rogue then that is a very balanced group for example. It covers melee, healer, caster, and stealth all at once without all 4 playing the same thing.

What's the most moral situation you've encountered in D&D (either you did or saw)

Could you elaborate a little more on this one? Otherwise I will need to take some more time to think on it.

What's your favorite fantasy story? (not like Willow or Lord of the Rings, but kind of story)

Mine is the downfall of the hero.

It is a cliche among cliche's, but I have always had a soft spot for the heroic swordsman saving the attractive princess/damsel in distress. Whether it be from an evil humanoid or a dragon or any other creature/trap/situation. It never gets old to me.

If you could reinvent the big three races of fantasy, perhaps specifically in D&D (Humans, Elves and Dwarves), how would you do it?

If ever there were a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" in RPG's.... it's this. Humans are pretty neutral and average, it should stay that way to either encourage people to use them for multiclassing benefits or to encourage playing other races. Elves and Dwarves.... Elves tend to be better for caster types even though WZCW Theron as well as his namesake are the quintessential hero Fighter type. Dwarves tend to be better for melee and you just don't see a dwarven caster. I'd try to come up with sub-races for both to change this up some. I'm unaware at this time of Elves who excel at melee combat to the point where their preferred class could be Barbarian or a type of Dwarf who could be a Sorceror. Gladiatorial Elves and Magically gifted Dwarves as some type of new sub-race is probably the route I would go, alongside of course all of the existing sub-races already available.

What's the biggest flaw in D&D and Final Fantasy/RPGs?

The biggest flaw in D&D is random chance. The dice rolling is such an integral part of the game, but enough bad rolls can lead to catastrophic results. One time I had a party that ended up getting bad rolls for what the weather would be like for that day, when the original plan was to walk through a forest to reach an enemy fort. The bad weather roll resulted in a tornado. So we had to roll saving throws. Our Knight failed so he started flying away. Our Bard tried to save him with her whip and she made contact with him but she then began to fly into the storm too. Our Chain Fighter used his his left chain to tie himself to a tree and then throw his right chain out to the Bard and Knight. He saved them, but the tornado intensified due to another bad weather roll and the Chain Fighter died from being pulled too far in both directions. The handler of the Bard from that story still plays with us and we still give him a hard time about weather rolls, even texting him every time there's a storm telling him that he rolled a 1. All in good fun of course.

In RPG's the biggest flaw is dealing with having to level grind or earn money to buy more expensive items each time you come to a new town. This seems to come up in some way, shape, or form in every single RPG that I play. I can only do my 4 hour Dragonforce & 80's hair metal montage so many times before I need a break from all the constant battles outside town. It gets old.

If you were employed in a wrestling company, which role do you think you would be most suited to? Commentator, Ring announcer, Backstage interviewer, or Fake cop/Security?

Backstage interviewer out of those 4. Ring announcer is a no because I would get tired of just saying the names of competitors or results of matches. Security would be out as I'd rather be in a speaking role. Commentator could be fun, but I'll go with Interviewer so I'm constantly speaking to champions or contenders regarding the ongoing feuds.

Could you elaborate a little more on this one? Otherwise I will need to take some more time to think on it.

Most moral as in: what's the toughest decision, morally, you've seen made in D&D?

Like, did the actual player have to walk away from the table because they couldn't choose between saving X but letting Y die, etc.

Most moral as in: what's the toughest decision, morally, you've seen made in D&D?

Like, did the actual player have to walk away from the table because they couldn't choose between saving X but letting Y die, etc.

Probably the time that our Shapeshifter wanted our Bard to catch and unmask a Rogue hiding in the shadows. Out of character this shadowy Rogue was one of us at the table playing the game. In character, none of us knew he was there other than the Shapeshifter and the Wizard because he has not joined the party yet. The Bard, playing his character just as he should due to alignment, said no when he was informed that the Rogue was there. He in-character gave his reasons for why he declined the Shapeshifter's request. This resulted in an out of character argument in real life between the Bard and Shapeshifter's handlers. We sat there for a moment trying to let them vent but it got out of hand when the Rogue's handler tried to say his piece. Our Cleric's handler then also stepped in reminding everyone at the table that it's just a game and we're supposed to be having a good time. The DM made a ruling that the Bard made his decision and that we were to continue without breaking character for the rest of the night. The Shapeshifter's handler was upset because she was having real life issues with the Rogue's handler which spilled into the game. She wasn't going to listen despite that the DM made a decision we were supposed to follow. She kept pushing the issue and causing more real life tension. I tried to follow up to the DM's statement by having my Fighter try to get everyone to shut up first with an Intimidation roll in character and then in person by yelling "EVERYONE SHUT UP!" as loud as I could but it was too late by that point. Four of the other handlers were screaming and cursing in real life about their real life issues with each other, and after an hour this ridiculous meltdown of the party caused the DM (in real life) to punch a hole in the wall and kick everyone out of his house for the night. The Shapeshifter's handler stopped playing with us and we resumed a different campaign.

Not quite the answer you may have wanted, but it's the most extreme case of a moral issue decision coming into play. The Bard was the most good aligned character in the party. Had the Shapeshifter done it herself, asked the Wizard to do it, or even ignored her real-life dislike of the Rogue's handler then it could have been ignored. That was also the worst out of character argument I've seen.

Place Theron into other settings, describe what he'd be in said game genre (if you're familiar with said game):

A CCG

A Sci-Fi Table Top

A non-medieval RPG

If you were "forced" to play Theron in WZCW outside of D&D, how would you try to keep D&D elements in your RP? Would Theron the wrestler take up cave diving, be a hero, etc?

Being as you're a designer like myself, name your top 3 go to video games for research.

For instance, when I want to create a class system for an RPG, I'll spend some time with FFT, Disgaea and Final Fantasy VI.

Place Theron into other settings, describe what he'd be in said game genre (if you're familiar with said game):

A CCG

He'd be one of the higher tier cards. Higher up than any of the Misfits, any NPC's, any items/monsters/animals.... Kirilah, Elora, The Sharran Angel, and maybe Feron joining him in this high card tier. The only one I ever really got into was the Pokemon one and I briefly played it 15 years ago. I remember there being shiny rare cards that were more powerful, he would be something like that in the game. Not the best card, but one of them. Out of anything that's been in my RP's due to continuity I would have to make The Sharran Angel the most powerful card other than deities (which would be the highest tier), with one or two tiny loopholes that can defeat it.

A Sci-Fi Table Top

A beam-sword wielding warrior who could keep up with the best jedis in a lightsaber battle if it were a Star Wars game. He'd have the best body armor available. Some type of laser for a ranged weapon, but he's always been a melee guy so he'd definitely want to use the beam-sword more often.

A non-medieval RPG

In a world more resembling Final Fantasy 7 & 8.... Theron would be a mercenary similar to Cloud but more extroverted like Zidane as far as how he acts. Just replace the kings, princesses, dragons, castles, and medieval equipment with modernized nobility, aliens, space stations, and equiment ranging from modern to sci-fi. If we're in a world resembling ours he'd still want a sword but would settle for a machete or any type of blade rather than guns. In futuristic worlds, anything similar to lightsabers would be his go-to weapon to replace the Falchion.

If you were "forced" to play Theron in WZCW outside of D&D, how would you try to keep D&D elements in your RP? Would Theron the wrestler take up cave diving, be a hero, etc?

He'd probably be some type of superhero/mercenary for hire. Give him a large machete or katana, some type of 21st century body armor, and he'll be good to go. It's all about the quest for him. Whenever he's not saving Kirilah.

Being as you're a designer like myself, name your top 3 go to video games for research.

Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Dragon Quest. I look to the series as a whole when I am bored and want to brainstorm ideas. It's harder to narrow it down to just single titles rather than series, but Tales of Symphonia is definitely up there too.

For instance, when I want to create a class system for an RPG, I'll spend some time with FFT, Disgaea and Final Fantasy VI.

FF5 and Dragon Quest 3 in particular if we're talking classes. Both were groundbreaking in how they handled classes.

FF5 and Dragon Quest 3 in particular if we're talking classes. Both were groundbreaking in how they handled classes.

I never played Dragon Quest, outside of one of the GBA games I believe (or DS, can't remember... it wasn't the actual RPG one I think), so explain?

Speaking of classes, pulling from all your RPG knowledge:

Best 5 classes

Worst 5 classes

Top 5 classes you wished were better

Top 5 "overpowered" classes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member