Summerslam 2011 - CM Punk vs John Cena - WWE Championship w/ HHH as Special Ref

If someone didn't know wrestling that well, the original article in the first post would confuse the hell out of them. SO MANY NICKNAMES. Jeez that is terrible writing. I even caught myself going "and who is that?" as if others were getting involved.

The match and build up will hopefully be spectacular. I'd wish they would keep HHH out of it and let it just be Punk v. Cena on RAW leading up to SS. Also that the undisputed championship is a new look title.

It's the whole reason the ladder match was invented (or at least the first one on TV/PPV) was to determine who the REAL Intercontinental champion was. It was a gimmick match that made sense, not just thrown together. I would love to see added to the match by next week on Raw.

If there was ever a time a ladder match made sense, it would be now. WWE Champion John Cena vs WWE Champion CM Punk in a ladder match for the unified championship. It'll be hard to top their MITB match so this match you wouldn't be able to compare it...it's something completely different and exciting.

I would have the Nexus come out and attack John Cena...and right before they leave they turn around and attack CM Punk (for leaving them) with both laying in the ring which would make the ladder match that much more dramatic. They'll have a great match and I'm sure CM Punk can make it memorable and be creative...and of course coming out the victor. If he doesn't win they (the WWE) will lose this entire angle of eventually turning him face.

Probably alone in this, but I wish this was a Triple threat match. Doesnt Mysterio have claim to a rematch, since he went through an entire tournament of contenders, and had to wrestle two matches in one night in order to lose it?

I just dont trust an LA crowd with this match, for one, for two, it makes more sense, for three, it would be an AWESOME fucking triple threat...and for four, you just dont mess with a classic. It will be nearly impossible for them to top or match their first match, I wish they wouldnt even go there.

Probably end up with Cena winning, over coming the odds blah blah blah. Would be far more interesting if Punk beat him again, and became some kind of kryptonite to Cena, but I dont have a whole lot of faith in this being a "new direction" for WWE, just simply a summer long angle were we finish off at the big PPV, and move on to the next thing the monday after.

Agree to a point. As far as unifying the titles, a ladder match would work nicely, but you have to take into consideration that Money in the Bank which was a Ladder match themed PPV took place just last month. Furthermore, TLC in December is essentially another slightly different Ladder Match themed PPV and going back to Extreme Rules, there's usually a ladder match there too. It's over exposure at this point. I wouldn't necessarily mind, but it cheapens the impacts of the PPV's that are built strictly with the ladder match in mind.

HAHA! Nexus leaves Punk and Cena layed out. Hennig and Otunga lay out Cena and Punk. Great idea.

Anyway. I don't think a ladder match is fitting here. I'm thinking something like a last man standing match. Maybe a no DQ match. Normally a ladder match would be fitting, but I don't like the idea Cena in a ladder match.

I agree it needs to be a ladder match, but no Nexus. Dear God just let Nexus be dead already. I think they might have finally put the nail in the coffin, at least I hope so. They made no mention of Nexus when Otunga & McGillicutty had their match on Raw.

Another reason I was hoping for a ladder match is I think a new championship belt is long overdue. Like Punk said about a month ago, "That thing has been way too ugly for way too long." Hang the new belt above the ring and put some good thought into the look of it this time.

A ladder match isn't necessary, Cena and Punk can bang out another memorable and awesome match - both mesh pretty well in the ring and it's going to be an epic anyway being for the Unified WWE Championship. They better bring out a new belt!

Ladder match is not called for in this match at all. Cena to my knowledge has no history in ladder matches and well CM punk has some as we all know!! A last man standing match if they were gonna go that route would be most fitting!! No nexus getting involved no vinnie mac trying montreal screwjob 2.0. They both bring out the best in each other more so than orton and cena!! To me they dont seem in a hurry to get rid of the super lame spinner belt so whats the rush eh guys? This upcoming match if done right will be epic indeed!!

I originally thought it should be a ladder match, but then I changed my mind. If they made it a ladder match, it might come off too much as a retread of Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon at WM 10.

They can't top their last match, right? I'd love to see, but it's just so unlikely, especially since the crowd will be much different in LA, and that made the match what it was. I expect Punk to go over, hopefully clean, because this really does feel like a time for change in the WWE, and Punk could usher it in better than anyone. Cena winning would deflate all of Punk's momentum, unless he doesn't do it clean either. I sense some kind of shenanigans occurring during this match, perhaps involving Triple H. It'll be nice to see who he backs as champ as he seems to dislike both of these guys. A Kings of Wrestling debut and interference would be cool, but I don't see them being given such a big spot to start out at in WWE. Same thing for Cabana. It's pretty hard to predict this match, at least how it'll go down, but I still feel Punk needs to win, so that's my prediction.

With hell in a cell so close, I can't imagine this ending cleanly. If it does, the feud is over and you have like 7 weeks to build a hell in a cell type feud.

Punk vs Cena has "hell in a cell level feud" written all over it. I can't imagine them not knowing this and not wanting to capitalize on it.

In reality, it doesn't matter who wins. If Punk loses, he can complain and talk about how he's hellbent on stopping the "status quo" if Cena loses, he can talk about how he was cheated.

I'm excited for the match, excited for summerslam, and excited for what happens next.

What if Summerslam doesn't even have a clear winner? I know how much you guys hate that, but it makes a lot of sense as far as keeping the feud going (if they do indeed want a HIAC). Say all hell breaks loose and it's thrown out. Night of Champions is a No DQ must be a winner type of thing, then they have HIAC.

I quit match? Think about it , u could have the whole John cena routine. You know 'WHEN ITS GUTCHECK TIME , I WILL NOT QUIT'. Then u can have CM punk make him say it.

I quit match? Think about it , u could have the whole John cena routine. You know 'WHEN ITS GUTCHECK TIME , I WILL NOT QUIT'. Then u can have CM punk make him say it.
On the same card as a no DQ? I quit and no DQ are worked similarly, running both would devalue them. Plus you don't want Cena to say "I quit" because it hurts his character, you don't want Punk to say it either because it hurts his character too.

ALTHOUGH, I like the idea of Cena saying "I quit" in a noble way. Punk is the voice of the IWC. So what do a lot of people hate about Cena? He caters to kids. So, what would be a noble way for Cena to say "I Quit" and for Punk to let you guys live vicariously through him? What if Punk ties Cena up and beats the hell out of him. He doesn't quit, so Punk pulls a kid out of the audience with a Cena shirt, hat, wristbands, little jean shorts on and even a little WWE title replica and threatens to hurt the kid. Then Cena says "I Quit" and Punk wins. Doing something awesomely heelish (you guys like), using what you guys hate about Cena against Cena (making children happy the bastard), AND gets the WWE title. Plus it sets up for a really heated, personal HIAC. The feud would have gradually went from "culture clash" to "personal and a culture clash". A wrestler threatening to hurt a kid might bring bad publicity, so maybe not hurt a kid, but something similar. Hurt his dad? Hurt his wife? Just something along those lines.

I'd do that at Night of Champions though. Summerslam I say make it a DQ, draw, some sort of fuck finish. It'll piss you guys and the live fans off, but it continues to the story. Actually, scratch that (although if you prefer the fuck finish please say so), how about one of the 2 guys passes out in the other's submission finish. Preferably it'd be Cena since the IWC will cheer Punk regardless and Punk is a heel with the masses. So Cena passes out in the anacondom vice, setting up "I Quit". Punk beats Cena 3 times in somewhat flukey ways (outside distraction at MITB, Cena never quitting at SS, Cena quitting because Punk threatened someone Cena loves at NOC), so they go into HIAC, a clash of ideologies and hatred for each other, to once and for all settle the score. Cena wins at HIAC and you guys get all pissy but it's the right thing to do. Punk then starts feuding with HHH to set up Mania.

Cena won't hold the strap until Mania, but he can't lose it to a heel because heels don't win cleanly and if he loses to a heel Cena's character will always chase. So Cena loses the strap to a babyface in a triple threat match, after which ADR cashes in and wins it, setting up ADR vs said babyface and Cena can start building up Mania with Rock.

Sorry that I went on a long fantasy booking rant. I feel I need to look ahead to better predict the future. Which I will no doubt be wrong in but it's fun to speculate.

As we all know, Alberto Del Rio has frequently said during promos that becoming the WWE Champion is his "destiny".

At this year's SummerSlam, John Cena & CM Punk will face off in a unification match to determine the true WWE Champion. I have little doubt that the match will be extremely good and that both of them will give it their all just as they did at Money in the Bank.

Now, even though there's still another Raw before SummerSlam, Alberto Del Rio's place in the grand scheme of things looks to be greatly overshadowed. After all, he isn't in a match as of yet and we're all assuming that he'll wind up facing Kofi Kingston at the show. Personally, I believe that the WWE has done that for a specific purpose.

After the Cena vs. Punk match, I expect both guys to have put on a helluva match and be "exhausted". I predict that Alberto Del Rio will then cash in his MITB briefcase for his WWE Championship match. Furthermore, he will walk out of SummerSlam as the new WWE Champion. As to who will win between Punk & Cena, I predict Cena will come out on top of this one. Cena getting screwed out of the title after just winning it will have a delicious appeal about it. He's the ultimate babyface and even though he'd have beaten Punk, he'll still come out of SummerSlam as much on the losing end of things as Punk.

Why do I think this will happen? Well, the WWE is planning to tour Mexico very soon. That's not necessarily a big thing in and of itself as WWE has had lots of successful tours down there. However, for the first time, Raw is going to be filmed in Mexico so that is pretty momentous. It's not often that Raw is filmed in another country and the hispanic demographic is an increasing one in the WWE. Alberto Del Rio is a well known draw in Mexico and the WWE wants to capitalize on the fact that Del Rio has gone from Mexico and has conquered the WWE.

Interesting idea. Very interesting. It does seem like a real possibility because WWE loves distractions. They have an awesome storyline going on right now with the WWE titles and Cena and Punk. No one is even considering ADR. This match is supposedly to determine the undisputed WWE champion so at the conclusion it would be the perfect time for ADR to strike except for one thing.... WWE doesn't want this feud with Punk and Cena to end this quickly. I expect some sort of controversial ending where both guys still leave as WWE champion or with some question as to who the real champion is. I think the ultimate conclusion of this feud will be a TLC Match (possibly at Survivor Series or just before) with both belts hanging from ceiling. AFTER that match would be the perfect time for ADR to strike. Both guys will have feuded so long and so hard over several matches to determine the real champion, but then ADR steals the belt.

I too believe that ADR will have a date with his ultimate destiny at Summerslam 2011, however I see it playing out a little differently.

Cena and Punk will have another epic encounter, equal to if not better than MITB. I think Cena wins a hotly contested match but is left very vulnerable thereafter. ADR cashes in his briefcase and is a eyelash away from pinning Cena 1-2-3 in the ring, when Punk prevents him from doing so. Cena recovers and pins ADR, maintaining his grasp on the title. Keeps the Punk/Cena program going for at least one more PPV, if not more. ADR becomes the first person to cash his briefcase unsuccessfully, and he's very pissed about it. Keeps him as a heel throughout his Mexico stint, and keeps his destiny intact: always the bridesmaid but never the bride. This makes sense because he's not ready to hold the major belt yet, not even close. He'll remain relevant while honing his skills for an eventual title run down the road.

I agree this is a real possibility. However, I hope it doesn't happen.

This Punk/Cena feud is big, much bigger (and more important) than Alberto Del Rio. I understand the Mexico tour can benefit from this happening, which is why I believe it's at least possible, but really? Does this sound awful to anyone else? A guy gets the strap because WWE is touring his home country? Sorry, that sounds terrible.

I'm not a fan of Del Rio, so I'm sure that plays into my thoughts on this. However, he seems out of place. This Cena/Punk thing can last another couple of months, at least, so I don't see the point. Del Rio will still be a big part of drawing money in Mexico, with or without the title, same goes for Mysterio.

I think and hope Punk will win this match. I like many believe that this match won't end cleanly. I've got high expectations for the match because of the match they had at MITB.

I would love to see Punk win, it would be the logical choice of champion, and i can see Cena putting him over. Punk deserves a long reign and after a fued with Cena, he can move onto a guy like The Miz, which would be an amazing rivalry.

I can see Cena winning, I mean it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I just don't think Cena as champ at this point of time is a logical decision, it won't develop the championship as it would on punk.

I think this match will be another classic from these 2 without the 'screwjob' finish they were aiming for at MITB. I do however see ADR coming in to steal the thunder by cashing in his briefcase after the match. ADR and Mysterio have a history and Mysterio is supposed to have a rematch for the championship sometime soon so this kind of makes sense. In this case I see Cena winning his match over Punk, ADR beating Cena, and Punk is happy enough not to have 'status quo' in the WWE and will do his best to keep it that way. In other words, he'll interfere in Cena title matches in the future (Cena vs. ADR at Night of Champions), be a thorn in his side backstage, then at Hell in a Cell they have another match where Cena gets 'injured' until Survivor Series. This would more than likely set up ADR vs. Punk for Vengeance with Punk regaining the belt, then facing Cena at Survivor Series with the 2nd biggest screw job ending of all time (you can't beat Hart vs. Michaels). This would be where Punk and HHH unite and cost Cena the match, and with the Rock there that night, there will be an epic staredown between the Rock and HHH, who possibly will have a 'warm-up match' for the Rock at Royal Rumble (it would have to be at one of the big 4). This could help build storyline for the Rock vs. Cena at WM28 without the Rock being a big part of the show and help make it more relevant without having the title on the line.

Alberto Del Rio cashing in after this match is a strong possibility, and more if we think that Rey Mysterio is going to use his rematch clause monday night after SummerSlam.

I think that HHH needs to have some kind of interference on this match or lay the pedigree on Punk after the match.
They are thinking about making Punk vs HHH for Survivor Series, so this could be a good start for the build up.
It has the possibility to be match of the night and it can be used to put CM Punk in the top of the world, if they let him get the clean victory.

Very unpredictable...

I know that this won't happen, but if WWE wanted to, they could easily have SummerSlam end in a double countout draw. This way, the two champions can go another month until Night of Champions. Not to mention, it would be really awesome to see them have both champions defend their version of the WWE title for the next few weeks leading in to said NOC.

As for what I think WILL happen, well I think that WWE will let CM Punk win it. Right now, CM Punk is the top heel and Triple H is a face authority figure. I can see WWE putting Punk and Triple H into another storyline that involves the WWE title while also building WM28 up just fine between Rock and Cena. Punk right now needs to hold on to the belt for a long time to cement himself as a top draw and if they take the title from him now, then this will be worse than his previous world title reigns.

Things are really looked to shape up nicely this Sunday. This is the first time in a long time I'm actually looking forward to the results of a WWE pay per view. So what do you guys think will happen in the main event? There have been alot of predictions and I think one of the best ones involve John Cena turning heel and joining "the boss" Triple H and recreating an important part of the attitude era with Austin vs. Mcmahon. Please, feel free to leave any thoughts, feelings, and predictions here.

I get the feeling that HHH will find a way to make himself the WWE Champion. His new ego trip and him telling Cena that he will do what is best for himself just leads me to believe neither Cena or Punk will leave SS as champion, but will be HHH.

I think the Cena heel idea is cool, but realistically I can't really see it happening. I don't think anything good can come out of this match unless Punk wins. Giving Punk a long title reign is what the company needs, i think they realize than at the moment Punk has 'it' and they have shown trust in him with the freedom they have allowed him.

But, with HHH as the guest referee that could make things very interesting, but I think hold that thought off until NOC. Have Cm Punk win here, have him build up the whole 'Cena can't beat me' and junk. Then at night of champions HHH is guest ref, screws Punk over and cena starts his 10th WWE title reign. I wouldn't like to see this play out, but it's a possibility. I'd rather see Miz v Punk build than this.

Anywho-Punk to win at Summerslam

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back