• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Money in the Bank - WWE Champion John Cena vs. CM Punk

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
20110620_mitb_cena_cmpunk.jpg

On his last night in WWE, the calculating and determined CM Punk challenges WWE Champion John Cena at Money in the Bank, emanating from his hometown of Chicago. Not only does Punk intend to humble The Champ and the entire WWE Universe with a decisive final victory on July 17, but leave WWE with its most coveted prize fastened around his waist.

After defeating his longtime nemesis Rey Mysterio at Capitol Punishment, The Second City Savior performed what he called “the most honest thing the WWE Universe has ever seen” by brazenly and vehemently demanded a WWE Title Match with The Champ at the second annual Money in the Bank event. However, Raw’s General Manager wasn’t too keen on having his authority overstepped, and placed The Straight Edge Superstar in a Triple Threat Match that forced Punk to earn the No. 1 contendership he boldly claimed to already possess.

In a Falls Count Anywhere Match, its stipulation chosen by the WWE Universe, Punk overcame both Mysterio and Alberto Del Rio to earn the right to challenge Cena at Chicago’s Allstate Arena. Following that momentous victory, the New Nexus leader revealed that his WWE contract will expire that very night in the Windy City, vowing to end his career in WWE as its champion.

Never truly seeing eye to eye, Cena and Punk have clashed numerous times in the past, but this bout might prove to be their most bombastic encounter yet. With Cenation behind him, can The Champ overcome the devious Punk in his hometown? Or will The Second City Savior leave Chicago – and WWE – with his first WWE Championship? To find out, tune in to WWE Money in the Bank, July 17, only on pay-per-view.

So it seems that CM Punk is leaving the WWE after all, and he intends to take the WWE Championship with him. I like this idea myself as it makes Punk seem incredibly greedy and sinister as he attempts to steal the biggest prize, and keep it for himself, even after he's left the company. It adds a different dimension to the match and makes a Punk victory seem not so impossible as he's going to be hell-bent on capturing the title. There’s also the distinct possibility that Punk's lying here and actually has signed an extension (a brief one perhaps) and will win the title, and ultimately not leave for a little while longer. As long as the Nexus doesn't end up dragging it's rotting carcass alongside this feud, I can see this being a damn good feud.

Keep all discussion in here.

I mean really...If there was EVER a time for WWE to simply just let the crowd have its time, and ride the wave, its gonna be here. Punk is leaving, its in his hometown, in front of what will be a smarky crowd ANYWAY, for the WWE title, against Cena....Someone who was LUSTILY shit on in this very same building some years ago in a WM ME.

CM Punk could GTS a handi-capped toddler in a military uniform and still have 99% of the crowd on his side for this. Just let it go, WWE. Matter of fact, book it like Cena's encounters with Triple H and Rob Van Dam under simulair circumstances. It would be utterly futile and downright obviously silly to fight against it.

Great atmosphere, and an obvious successful title defense. The match should be amazing, quite possibly MOTY contender. THis match alone has me ten times more excited for this show than OTL and CP combined.

I'm very much so looking forward to this feud. Punk's promo at the start of Raw last night was purely genius. He really needs to stay in WWE and this feud will show the WWE how badly they need him. My only problem with it is that since wrestling is scripted (and everyone knows that) then it kind of lack the reality of Punk actually having a chance to leave the company with the title. I would love to see Punk win & take the title and run then we see him on RAW the next nights saying he renewed. That's about the most realistic it's going to get if they even go that far with it.

Punk is indeed truly a genius and for one i cant wait till july 17. If he indeed to leave WWE which i think he will:disappointed:. Its in his hometown Cena will be booed :) and Punk will be treated like a conquering hero. I hope Punk does indeed defeat cena for the title but knowing how WWE operates i am sensing a Montreal screwjob 2.0!! Hope im wrong but if that does indeed happen Punk IMO will not return ever!! Punk can wrestle circles around Cena he is clearly the best performer on either roster the biggest heel!! GO PUNK:worship:

I'm hopimg for a Punk win in this match. Just imagine if he were to win and leave with the title. WWE could then start an angle where Punk leaves the WWE with the title, but the MiTB winner tries to track him down. Finally the MiTB winner finds Punk and demands a match so that he can bring the title back to the WWE. Knowing the WWE, they will have Cena face the MiTB winner first so Cena can take the briefcase off them and be the one to bring the title back

This is WWE's chance to win me back as a fan. I've been waiting for them to prove to me that they appreciate talent - well this is it. I don't care HOW he beats Cena, I don't care if he cheats, if he's helped, if he kills him, just beat him, take the title and stay with the WWE, finally showing that IDIOTIC management what REAL talent is. This is it for the WWE and a lot of fans. Not as dramatic as I make it out to be, but it is to me. Let's see what you got.

I'm still holding out for Punk to stay with the company after the PPV. Honestly though, I don't see him beating Cena. Yeah its really poetic that is last match will be in his home town at a PPV based around the match that has shaped most of his career but that doesn't mean he'll win. Its a shame that now Punk is the top heel in the company going against the top face and its only going to last until the middle of next month.

Here's a fun fact though. Punk made his ECW debut on July 4th 2006. That means he's been wrestling steadily for 5 years now without any breaks or extended time off. Even when he was injured he still did commentary. Punk deserves time off from WWE. I'm hoping he still stays all the same though because I'm a spoiled fan. If he does win, then it'll be a lot more likely that he will stick around. I've read someone throwing around the idea of him winning and leaving with the WWE Championship which will make a vacant title spot. That ain't gonna happen. He's in my top 5 favorites but Punk isn't worth that. I don't know awhole lot about his contract dealings if its either that he wants to keep his name or that he wants more money but come on WWE, give him what he wants.

My prediction is for Cena to win but I don't like it.

i genuinely believe this to be a work

punk will win and take time off with the belt, maybe 6 weeks off and have either the wwe trying to woo him back or have a wrestler chase him down for the title.

depending on where the match is on the card he may even lose but "leave wwe with the briefcase" as a late replacement on the mitb match

punks promo was brilliant and he even used the term wrestler, this angle is golden and i dont think wwe would be running with it if punk was having more than a couple of months off. my guess is he has resigned but with a two month break from wrestling

if cena wins we riot, punk will leave that building with the belt or a bloody good angle for his return

wwe have created this problem though with cena wanting the rock match for the belt, it is causing an element of predictability with the road to wrestlemania, which by the way started on the raw after the last one

I personally do not see Punk leaving after this match. Does anyone find it strange coincidence that the final day of his contract is in Chi-Town? And what is stopping him from signing a new deal during this time period. I guess this just goes to prove that this storyline is more important then any storyline this summer. Personally I would much rather have Punk (c) vs Cena at Summerslam. I think this would be rather cool. I am looking forward to this match and think it will be the best Cena vs Punk match of them all.

Results

If Punk wins he keeps his promise.

If Cena wins CM Punk stays in the WWE.

My Predicition:Cena

CM Punk=The best wrestler in the world.

Sorry, I was marking out. What CM Punk said last night makes this so very interesting. I feel that this will be one fucking great match with a great atmosphere. If this does turn out to be CM Punk's last match then we know he will give it his all and maybe throw in even more effort than he has in the last few months on RAW. This will probably be the best match in 2011 so far.

First of all, I'm fully aware that Punk's actually just taking some time off and will return down the road much like Jericho did a few years ago.

BUT it occured to me that there are a few similarities between Punks current situation and Bret Hart's situation back in 1997.
--Punks contract is expiring the night of the ppv
--Brets contract was expiring the night of Surivivor Series back in 97.
--Punks last match will be for the WWE Championship in his homestate. --Bret's last match was for the WWF Championship in his home country.

So, that being said, here's a somewhat clever idea for the ppv finish.
--Have Bret Hart be revealed as the annonymous GM.
--At the ppv, Cena has Punk in the STF and the Ref calls for the bell even though Punk never submitted.
--Post match: GM Bret appears at ringside and hands title to Cena. Punk spits in Brets face and throws a fit at ringside, smashing tv monitors.

I think it would be a moderately clever twist on the old Montreal screwjob, only with Bret playing the Vince role.

I think it could probably go like this. Punk loses and "retires". Then later in the night, Mason Ryan wins the Money in the Bank briefcase. Mason is given a big push throughout the summer, and once Cena is over feuding with Del Rio, Punk returns, cashes in Mason's briefcase and wins the title.

Punk is just taking some very well-deserved time off.

They aren't going to risk pushing a guy as the top heel just so he can leave and take his momentum elsewhere.

If its a great match, it's because CM Punk carries Cena.

But then again, Punk has been making Chicken soup out of chicken shit his entire WWE career.

When you're two favorite wrestlers are facing each other with the WWE title on the line, how is that not a good thing? I don't care who wins but I would like to see Punk stay just for a little while longer and if that means going back on his word then so be it. This match like Norcal mentioned is a MOTY contender. This fued could be the best of the year. It's Cena/Punk, there's not much you can do wrong to it. I can't wait for MITB just for this match alone.

I'm surprised im the first to say this...maybe im totally wrong and off the board but here's my take on what will go down.

CM Punk will win the title and immediately the winner of the Raw MITB match will cash in his briefcase and defeat him.

Anyone else agree?

Congratulations, WWE. You have me sold on your pay per view with only one announced match, and a straight up one on one match at that! First time I've said that in years!

I'm honestly not going to make a prediction on this one. This is one of those matches you just want to utterly suspend your disbelief on. I'm rooting for CM Punk, but I don't want to make a prediction either way.

if anyone thinks Cena will lose to Punk will be called Crazy this all setting up a good 4 weeks but Cena is winning this

It seems like this would be one of those situations that just ruins the match because it makes you think they arent gonna put the title on him if hes leaving. However ive read some rumors that the WWE has had a new title made to replace the spinner belt and that could mean if punk wins, and he leaves, they will be introducing a new WWE championship.

Hey, I'm all for the WWE doing something unpredictable and totally out of character...but I'm afraid my first instinct is that the WWE and CM Punk have completely ruined the match. CM Punk has admitted that he's on the way out and as far as I've seen, there's only one way out of the WWE: on your back. So far, the only exception I've seen is Edge, and that's due to a legit medical issue which was apparently unknown in its severity until after the match in question. Only one person I know of has tried to buck this rule, and we all remember what happened with Mr. Hart in Montreal. I personally think that any hope for Punk to win at Money in the Bank is inspired by wishful thinking and no basis in reality. If a similar story line did occur in ROH, then that would likely be more reason in Vince's case not to use it. It's not Vince's creation and therefore I have a feeling Vinnie Mac would have no interest in recycling it.

The one idea so far (from thekid) that I did like was for CM Punk to somehow cheat his way to a win and have it yanked off of him by the MitB match winner immediately (might be the best way to give Morrison his first main event reign.) It would allow CM Punk to do what he said and still keep the title at the WWE.

Dunno about a new design for a belt, but I agree that it's time for one. Theoretically they could decide to use this as an excuse to unveil one...but I doubt it.

Im a tremendous CM Punk fan and have followed him since his FIP days, so like many of you I hope Punk stays with the company and wins the title at MITB. Perhaps this is wishful thinking & it will never happen, but since the WWE is tapping into an old ROH angle which many of us know of as the Summer of Punk, I would love them to take this to another new level.

Im talking about an invasion angle where like back in the old days when ECW & RAW competed against each other on national TV. The angle revolutionized the sport of pro wrestling and the WWE has an opportunity to do it again.

What would be cooler than CM Punk winning the WWE title at MITB against Cena. Colt Cabana Punk's best friend jumping the railing and helping Punk win. Punk shows up at ROH with the WWE title and keeps it hostage beginning an ROH vs WWE war.

I really hope the WWE does not fuck this up, they have a million ways of going with this angle and doing something that has never been done before. Like CM Punk said on RAW, the WWE has a chance to make history.

what i think is that cm punk will re sign well hopefully and beat cena for the title, then cena needs time off but not leave the company cause he is having inguries.So punk needs to face someone if only they didnt draft bryan danielson or daniel bryan or whatever he could be a good challenger, cause there arent many top faces on raw and bryan danielson is amazing, WHEN Y2J returns he could be a face.

I can't call it. Nobody here can figure this out, and at this point I'm not even sure if the WWE knows what the finish to this match is going to be just yet. Something I do know though is all the "screwjob" thoughts are insane. Punks not going to get screwed, he's the heel here, if he's screwed what does Cena do to look like the hero afterward? It just doesn't make sense.
Something I do know, is that yes, it's probably going to end up being a top 10 Cena match of all time. Punk will give it his all, and Cena will do the same to make this be remembered. The only logical thing I can imagine happening is Punk losing, taking his time off and coming back down the road when he pleases. He's not going to TNA, but I wouldn't be shocked if he stops by ROH. At the end of the day he will be back in a WWE ring, because that's where all the greats have been. That's the ring Punk wants to retire in. I would love to see him win, leave with the belt and go from there. I just have this gut feeling that he will lose and leave, that's the Vince way of saying "you want to leave, you leave on my terms." Then again, this could all be a work and he could have already re-signed. I've said it before, Punk is the greatest technical, in ring heel performer in this buisiness today. It will suck not seeing him around, but it will be worth the wait when he comes back.

It depends,if MITB is the main event.Punk loses to Cena.RAW GM puts Punk in MITB. Punk Wins MITB. Cashes in and beats Cena.New Champ CM PUNK.

I've said this on other threads and I'll say it here. This is a story line the is NOT predictable. For once we don't know what will happen and the possibilities are endless.

This is one story line that has got me hooked and I hope it's a huge work. And I hope they run with it. Let him win, let him walk away with it. Hell, even let someone cash in the Money in the Bank brief case AND lose. Build it so bad that this title is leaving the WWE.

And unlike Cena who never "left" when he was "fired" don't have him in the arena. Make it look like he took the title hostage and have someone chase him around for it. Do something, they can do whatever the hell they want. And you can say we have NEVER seen anything like that before.

It's been known that his contract actually expires in September. If that's the case and he takes actual time off, put the title up at Summerslam and make it a "if I still can't keep this title then I quit match." If he's resigned just keep building up the work.

Those are just SOME of the ideas they could do but really, there's so many possibilities and they really are endless. I just hope this becomes as huge as it really can be.

Either way, I'm buying Money in the Bank come July 17th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back