Ryder's Pokemon Thread

I'm 5 badges into white, not sure where to go from here. My team currently is Yamask, Sigilyph, Krookodile, Zebstrika, Pignite and Archen.

I have an Oshawott, Servine and Boldore in the PC they're all around level 29. Any advice as to which to use as I head towards the last three badges?

What people are neglecting to mention is that despite the fact that Archeops' attack falls way down when it's below half life, it's attack is so great and it has such a good move pool for a flying pokemon that you can OHKO A HELL of a lot of pokemon even the same level as you. Talking from experience. Besides, when it is damaged, it's attack is not completely useless. It's low I grant you, but usually high enough that if it's first attack didn't kill the enemy, it's speed and half mast attack will be enough to deal with the rest of his HP.

He's not the greatest choice for a Nuzlocke challenge, but he's not a bad choice as a first team pokemon at any time. Most of the time it's a pokemon with base stats of 567, and enough attack, speed and moves to deal with any pokemon.

Dramatis Personae

Hodor the Ivysaur lv 24
Egyptian Fearow lv 22
ADRIAN! the Geodude lv 22
Hercules the Gyarados lv 23
Hitchcock the Kadabra lv 26
Roland Raticate lv 21

Reserve
Sting the Beedrill lv 10
Bill Oddish lv 16
BURD! the Pidgey lv 16
Splash the Magikarp lv 5
Diglett Barnes lv 17
Hannibal the Drowzee lv 11

Now that Hercules and Hitchcock have evolved, my team is really starting to hit its stride. Some potentially tricky trainers on Route 11 were dealt with rather well while the trip to the S.S. ANNE was a complete massacre, as was Routes 9 and 10. Rock Tunnel is next.

Routes 9 and 10 were a bust when it came to catching pokemon. Confronted by a Rattata on the former and an Ekans on the latter, although I managed to knock out both before I could catch them. No big loss though as I think the biggest thing I might have missed was a Voltorb. Did manage to grab Hannibal the Drowzee on Route 11 but he is so under-leveled that I cannot see him every being needed.

If you're not playing with my sickening stipulations, Archeops pretty much is the best Pokemon for a Nuzlocke run. It's ability should almost never become relevant.

Ok my team for black 2:

Pignite (bacon) lv 29
Mandibuzz (BIGBLKpCOK) lv 28
Herdier (Sexay) lv 29

I'm fighting the elecric gym and my strategy is to throw in herdeir to use dig/crunch to wipe her team. I'm going to actually start with mandibuzz depending on how high her emogla speed is due to the fact it knows rock tomb which can ohko it hopefully.

Good Lord Chargestone Cave is like smacking your nose on the corner of a building for 12 hours.

I HATE IT! The only think keeping me going is the prospect of a Litwick in a few areas time.

Also I'm trying to plan ahead for the Elite Four,

Currently thinking
Chandelure
Sigilyph
Excadrill
Virizion
Krookodile

I need a tank though and a water type - Not sure if it's worth evolving something or what to catch.

Dramatis Personae

Hodor the Ivysaur lv 25
Egyptian Fearow lv 23
ADRIAN! the Geodude lv 24
Hercules the Gyarados lv 27
Hitchcock the Kadabra lv 30
Roland Raticate lv 22

Reserve

Sting the Beedrill lv 10
Bill Oddish lv 16
BURD! the Pidgey lv 16
Splash the Magikarp lv 5
Diglett Barnes lv 17

It suggests that you played too much Pokemon Red in your younger days when you can still remember the lay out of Rock Tunnel without the need for Flash.

Unfortunately though, I missed out on my pokemon - a Zubat - due to an ill-timed critical hit. The rest of the tunnel though was a walk in the park as Hitchcock and Hercules chewed up the opposition. Should actually have spread the XP about a bit more. Egyptian could have dealt with the Machops as easily as Hitchcock, especially with the ghosts on the horizon.

What are the thoughts on Rare Candies in Nuzlocke Challenges? Personally, I think they should be treated like they go out of date so if you do not use them straight away then you do not use them at all. Or you do not use them full stop.

Bill Oddish - greatest pokenickname ever

And does EVERYBODY have a big ole' ladyboner for litwick?

Барбоса;4523101 said:
Dramatis Personae

Hodor the Ivysaur lv 25
Egyptian Fearow lv 23
ADRIAN! the Geodude lv 24
Hercules the Gyarados lv 27
Hitchcock the Kadabra lv 30
Roland Raticate lv 22

Reserve

Sting the Beedrill lv 10
Bill Oddish lv 16
BURD! the Pidgey lv 16
Splash the Magikarp lv 5
Diglett Barnes lv 17

It suggests that you played too much Pokemon Red in your younger days when you can still remember the lay out of Rock Tunnel without the need for Flash.

Unfortunately though, I missed out on my pokemon - a Zubat - due to an ill-timed critical hit. The rest of the tunnel though was a walk in the park as Hitchcock and Hercules chewed up the opposition. Should actually have spread the XP about a bit more. Egyptian could have dealt with the Machops as easily as Hitchcock, especially with the ghosts on the horizon.

What are the thoughts on Rare Candies in Nuzlocke Challenges? Personally, I think they should be treated like they go out of date so if you do not use them straight away then you do not use them at all. Or you do not use them full stop.

I could probably get through Rock Tunnel without Flash, but I get too nervous that I'll a) screw it up or b) miss an item I want.

I don't use them period. Yeah, you level up, but the Pokemon ends up weaker as a result. Maybe if I had a "no grinding" rule, I would use them.

I was thinking about this when I was out of potions and running away from Lv 8 Zubat in Mt. Moon: How does everyone feel about Repel, both in and out of the Nuzlocke Challenge?

Bill Oddish - greatest pokenickname ever

And does EVERYBODY have a big ole' ladyboner for litwick?

Chandelure (Litwick's second evolution) is a hugely powerful pokemon, it has the highest Sp.Atk of ANY non-event, non-legendary pokemon so far.

It's ridiculously powerful, hence the ladyboner.

I could probably get through Rock Tunnel without Flash, but I get too nervous that I'll a) screw it up or b) miss an item I want.

I don't use them period. Yeah, you level up, but the Pokemon ends up weaker as a result. Maybe if I had a "no grinding" rule, I would use them.

I was thinking about this when I was out of potions and running away from Lv 8 Zubat in Mt. Moon: How does everyone feel about Repel, both in and out of the Nuzlocke Challenge?

I doubt I could get through the tunnel. I never use Rare Candies unless it's a weak pokemon with an evolved form worth the hassle (eg Tynamo) oh yeah I doubt i would use repel in Nuzlocke simply so I could EV train a bit.

Only time I have ever used a Repel is in Pokemon Black when I have returned to places I have been early on in the game and there is nothing to be gained from defeating a lv 2 Lillipup

Барбоса;4523169 said:
Only time I have ever used a Repel is in Pokemon Black when I have returned to places I have been early on in the game and there is nothing to be gained from defeating a lv 2 Lillipup

I'm usually the same way, but I'm so terrified about accidentally having someone faint that I'm considering using them.

Shotaro said:
It's ridiculously powerful, hence the ladyboner.

I can respect the stats behind it, but I just pick who I like best. I thought more other people would. To me Chandelure is a prop-pokemon, like a voltorb or a vanillish and I just find them lacking in personality.

Also, where's Ryder? It's "his" thread...

I can respect the stats behind it, but I just pick who I like best. I thought more other people would. To me Chandelure is a prop-pokemon, like a voltorb or a vanillish and I just find them lacking in personality.

Also, where's Ryder? It's "his" thread...

Nuzlocke stole it something turrible.

Also yes but it is also cool, have you read the flavour text for it?

"It absorbs a spirit, which it then burns. By waving the flames on its arms, it puts its foes into a hypnotic trance."

Prop Pokemon do not absorb souls to burn them

Flareon 'cos your a rebel who ain't gunna do what the man says.

Someone shoved a couple of Tales games through my letter box yesterday, so my progress is going to slow until I get bored of angsty teenagers.

I think I am leaning towards Flareon.

Hercules the Gyarados has Water covered so that rules out the need for Vaporeon while Hodor the Ivysaur covers the Electric bonus against Water types and if I remember correctly there is not much in the way of Flying types to take down in the future.

Flareon's best stat is his Attack, and it only learns 2 physical Fire moves, neither of which are higher than 65 base power. Add that to the fact that it needs to be poisoned or paralysed to do any real damage (with Guts, its Gen5 DW Ability) makes Flareon one to avoid.

Not really sure I need a Fire type either now.

I mean what are they strong against? Grass? Egyptian Fearow has just OHKOed the entire Grass gym so I am not really in any need of help there. On top of that, Eevee has fallen off my team with the addition of Hairball the Snorlax, although I suppose Fire's strength against Ice might be something needed later though.

Anyhoo.

Dramatis Personae

Hodor the Ivysaur lv 28
Egyptian Fearow lv 34
ADRIAN! the Graveller lv28
Hercules the Gyarados lv 29
Hitchcock the Kadabra lv 31
Hairball the Snorlax lv 30

Reserve

Sting the Beedrill lv 10
Bill Oddish lv 16
BURD! the Pidgey lv 16
Splash the Magikarp lv 5
Diglett Barnes lv 17
Ben Oddish lv 17
Sophie the Eevee lv 25
Hydra the Doduo lv 17
Roland Raticate lv 26

Stormed through the last couple of cities with little to no fuss. Swatted my rival aside in the Pokemon Tower easily. As already mentioned, Egyptian made mincemeat of Erika and her Grass types and along with Hercules, he massacred the Rockets in Celadon. The only problem I had was after defeating Giovanni, I had a poisoned bird on my hands and had to hightail it back the Pokemon Centre as soon as possible. About to head into Rocket headquarters in Saffron City.

Not really many opportunities to catch pokemon in the last play through. Killed the first Ghastly I faced in the Tower and bitchslapped a Meowth on Route 8. No big loss though and as you can see those I have been able to add are hardly spectacular, although Hairball and his Rest, Yawn and Snore combo could come in very useful in the bigger battles later.

If there's one challenge I cannot overcome it's the challenge of doing the same thing twice.

I ironman all of my Nuzlocke runs, just because the temptation to revert to an earlier save if things go tits up is often too strong. Unfortunately, this means that when the game crashes (since when can DS games crash) I lose a fuckton a data that I don't feel like reproducing.

The game was getting a little easy anyway, I headbutted myself a Heracross after Bugsy, and Heracross is one of the few Pokemon that can pretty much act as a win condition all by itself. I got as far as curbstomping Whitney before the lights went out. For the record, my odds of winning at this point were good, though it would have been a dull run. Ingenious stall was probably going to give way at a strategy to 'watch Heracross wreck shit' which would have been satisfying, but less fun to write about.

I'm keen to start a new challenge, but I'm looking for a way to make the experience more difficult. I'm toying with the idea of a no Pokemon center healing run (basically you can only use Pokemon centers when your entire party is at maximum health) where I'm forced to depend on healing items - I've never tried that before and don't know how much of a challenge it's likely to be.

And ideas for ramping up the difficulty curve further - or suggestions for which game I should take on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back