• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ryder's Pokemon Thread

Anybody get that strange feeling as they're approaching the Elite Four on... Victory Road?

Dramatis Personae
Carnage the Combuskhen lv35
Bill the Gloom lv29
Racket the Loudred lv31
Doink the Spoink lv33
Bandito the Linone lv25
Castform lv25

Back up
Apollo the Geodude lv12
Samsung the Magnemite lv24
Belisarius the Wobbuffet lv19

The Ruby carnage continues. Add Firefly the Ilumise, Cloudy the Swablu, Haley the Solrock and Red Spinda to the casualty list. I was also stuck for a time as I had no beasts that could learn Surf. Eventually got Bandito the Zigzagoon for that.

Despite the trimming of the fat, my team is still full of rubbish and a real lack of fire power that was revealed in the Petalburg gym battle against Slaking/Vigoroth/Slaking. How I got out of there with losing any of my 'top' 4 beasts is anyone's guess. A lot of switching out, sleep powders, 'loathing around and pure luck.

Anyone any thoughts on Castform? Is he a better choice right now than Wobbuffet? Do I remember hearing somewhere that the latter can be turned into a counter-attacking beast or am I making that up?

I don't like Castform, because of the weather-based events in the game. If you want a psychic, what's wrong with a Sigilyph?

I don't like Castform, because of the weather-based events in the game. If you want a psychic, what's wrong with a Sigilyph?

I made good use of Sigilyph in Pokemon Black.

Castform looks like he could be useful against whatever dragons might appear in the Elite 4 (can't remember if there is a dragon trainer in Ruby) due to his range of ice attacks but I have a suspicion that he is relatively weak.

I already have a Psychic type in Doink the Grumpig.

That wasn't around in generation 3. Wobuffet is good in competitive but in game he's not that good.

Yeah, some brief research has suggested that. Can't learn any TMs, does not learn any moves after evolving from Wynaut and needs its opponent to attack for it to deal any damage. Having a squad that is already low on firepower, I cannot afford another potential passenger like Wobbuffet.

Find'er Woo'er Ryder said:
What kind of strange feeling?
This one:
Jeff-Hardy-vs-Sting-Victory-Road-2011-Incident.jpg

Scarier than any pokecave.

Барбоса;4538393 said:
I made good use of Sigilyph in Pokemon Black.

Castform looks like he could be useful against whatever dragons might appear in the Elite 4 (can't remember if there is a dragon trainer in Ruby) due to his range of ice attacks but I have a suspicion that he is relatively weak.

There is a dragon trainer, and Castform does suck. There's a cave with ice type Pokemon north of Mosdeep City (I think), so you might be better off finding your ice type there.

Here's hoping that I get the chance to catch a decent pokemon first up in Shoal Cave then.

Only added one more pokemon in my latest play - Dawnto Duskull. Somewhat tempted to switch him in for my pretty useless Weird Lileep.

The only other 'highlight' of my last play was how embarrassingly long it took me to defeat a regular trainer and her Milotic. Now, it does have a high HP, Recover and a couple of Full Restores but it was horrifically obvious how weak my squad is was Blaziken is not going to be of any help. Bill the Gloom/Vileplume can be useful but his defence is too low to deal with strong opponents. At this rate, I will have little chance against the next couple of gym trainers let alone the Elite 4.

Dramatis Personae
Carnage the Blaziken lv36
Bill the Vileplume lv31
Racket the Loudred lv32
Doink the Grumpig lv34
Bandito the Linone lv27
Weird the Lileep lv31

Back up
Apollo the Geodude lv12
Castform lv25
Dawnto Duskull lv30

Milotic has always been a bitch to beat. Kind of like a defensive version of Gyarados. Doesn't help that it can easily counter the types that it's weak to.

Well, Shoal Cave was a bust. A weak Zubat was my reward for travelling there... Didn't survive my weakest first attack so no Ice type and no Flying type yet either. On top of that, I realised that none of my beasts can learn Dive either... Might need that HM mule yet even though I have tried to do without it.

Before Mosdeep/Shoal Cave, I was able to add Fulmen the Electrode to my party. He is more useful than either my Lileep or Duskull so he has made the top 6. Then after the disappointment of the cave, I finally managed to get a Flying type in the form of Ned the Pelipper, who can also learn Surf so he has taken the place of Bandito the Linoone. Might bring a big more firepower to the group. Might.

Dramatis Personae
Carnage the Blaziken lv38
Bill the Vileplume lv35
Racket the Loudred lv35
Doink the Grumpig lv36
Fulmen the Electrode lv35
Ned the Pelipper lv29

Back up
Apollo the Geodude lv12
Castform lv25
Dawnto Duskull lv30
Bandito the Linone lv30
Weird the Lileep lv31

Finally collected all the badges and dealt with the Legendary Groudon, who I caught thinking that I needed to - ah well, some Exp points missed out on and a couple of Ultra balls wasted.

Also just before that battle, I was able to snare Walle the Wailmer, who can learn Dive and Strength so he replaced the well-travelled but increasingly tired and under-powered Racket the Loudred. Group is starting to have a little more bite to it.

Dramatis Personae
Carnage the Blaziken lv40
Bill the Vileplume lv35
Doink the Grumpig lv39
Fulmen the Electrode lv38
Ned the Pelipper lv37
Walle the Wailmer lv35

Back up
Apollo the Geodude lv12
Castform lv25
Dawnto Duskull lv30
Bandito the Linone lv30
Weird the Lileep lv31
Racket the Loudred lv35
Snappy the Clamperl lv29
Groudon lv45

R/S/E Victory Road is not overly long and does not feature all that many trainers but bloody hell was I swamped by wild Pokemon - Golbats, Makuhita, Hariyama etc everywhere. Not complaining though as it gave me an opportunity to at least make my squad somewhat respectable. Still do not have any faith in being able to defeat the Elite 4. In fact, I think I will be lucky to get passed two of them.

Dramatis Personae
Carnage the Blaziken lv45
Bill the Vileplume lv46
Doink the Grumpig lv50
Fulmen the Electrode lv50
Ned the Pelipper lv46
Walle the Wailmer lv46

Back up
Apollo the Geodude lv12
Castform lv25
Dawnto Duskull lv30
Bandito the Linone lv30
Weird the Lileep lv31
Racket the Loudred lv35
Snappy the Clamperl lv29
Groudon lv45
Maniac the Psyduck lv30

Got a lot further against the Elite 4 than I thought I might. Carnage's fighting and fire attacks did for large portions of the Dark and Ice trainers, while Grumpig occasionally unleashed some pretty hefty Psychic attacks on the Ghosts. Add in the rather excellent Sleep Powder from Vileplume and I was able to make it to half way through the Dragon trainer, but alas, his use of Full Restores did for me in the end. Salamence took out Vileplume and after that it was little short of a massacre as my weakened squad fell to Dragon Claw and Fly attacks.

For interests sake though, I had a couple more goes and it was possible to win but it required perfect timing of switch in and out and the extra help of timely paralysis. When I did get through the Elite 4, I found the Champion less of a challenge as my Fire and Water did for his Steel.

So it occurred to me that I haven't actually played Black or White 2 - and know literally nothing about the world of either other than what was gleaned from one partial play-through of the original Black.

A blind run through a new game sounds like the kind of Nuzlocke challenge I've been looking for (with no shops and no grinding of course) however there is one minor problem. If I'm going to do B/W2 then I'm going to want to do it with the new Challenge Mode switched on, and as I understand it that doesn't unlock until one completes the game or or does some weird transfer thing that I don't understand.

Does anybody know exactly how easy it will be for me to unlock Challenge Mode, and how much game will I have to play before I can do it?

Turns out Ryders information was inaccurate; I need a physical second person to send me the key, it can't be done via wifi. You know how fuckin' hard it is to find a Pokemon player when you're an adult - what am I to do; go hang out in a park until I get arrested?

Grumble grumble. I'll probably still Nuzlocke the game, but I'm pissed about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back