Ryder's Pokemon Thread

Yeah; but Pokemon desperately needs all the challenge it can get.

What makes this even more annoying is that I do own an Action Replay device that'll let me crack open the keys from the off... but I haven't seen it for years, and even if I knew where it was, it'd still be over a hundred miles away.

Fuck it. I'm bored; I might as well start writing.

The Semi-Ultimate Nuzlocke

The Challenge

Let's get the obvious out of the way quickly; I'm really rather good at Pokemon. This is not a particular point of pride for me, it's just the inevitable consequence of that one time my girlfriend left me and I was stuck in a strange city for months with nothing to do but battle competitively over the internet and Nuzlocke all the old games.

As such the standard Nuzlocke challenge is not really difficult enough to interest me any more. I can still balls it up given sufficiently bad luck, but I'd say that if I can make it past the forth gym then completion of the challenge becomes a 90% certainty, which is dull. As such I'm always trying to add extra challenges to bring some new excitement to the game, and I've finally come up with one that I haven't seen anyone else attempt before (not that I've really looked).

A blind Nuzlocke run.

To be frank, most people Nuzloke with a guide open in front of them. Those who don't at least play though a game that they've basically committed to memory. I propose to use my new copy of Pokemon White 2 to attempt to Nuzlocke a game that I have never played before and know absolutely nothing about.
This will allow for considerably less long term strategy on my part, but on the other hand, it will allow me to give my impressions of the game as I play, which should hopefully keep this log readable.

The Rules & Explanations

Standard Nuzlocke rules are in effect.

Starter pokemon must be chosen at random based on the final character of my trainer ID. 1-3=Grass, 4-6=Water, 7-9=Fire and 0=No starter run.

Only the first pokemon of each area may be captured with absolutely no exceptions.
- Exception 1: Any shiny pokemon may be captured and used because why the fuck not.
- Exception 2: An HM slave may be captured if not doing so would render the game unwinnable, however it may never be used in battle and much be replaced ASAP.

I don't know how fishing and events such as headbutting are handled in the game, so I will be calling those rules on the fly.

Rustling grass and its equivalents will be ineligible for capture unless they represent my first encounter in a given area. I may not scumm for them.

Pokemon received from NPC characters or events are fair game.

In addition the following clauses will be in effect.

Nicknames: Compulsory
Grinding: Banned
Shops: Banned
Consumables: Banned*
Held Items: Banned*
TM/HMs: One use only

I have decided not to restrict the use of TMs and HMs in my regular fashion for the following reason; I don't know the game. When I Nuzloke a different game, making sure I have a party member to accept each TM as a acquire it is all part of the challenge, but in this world I will have literally no idea what TM is coming when, and forcing me to use them as they are obtained will only serve to make the experience more luck based than it needs to be.

Consumables carry the usual exception, in that if I'm in a position where I can use a potion to save tracking back to an unblocked Pokemon center then they're fair game. Additionally things like evolution stones, vitamins and rare candies and perfectly fine as long as I can find the fuckers.

In the rare occasion where a held item may be necessary for evolution I will allow it - I'm not sure such a thing ever happens, but I always add this waver just in case.

As I said, this will served both as a record of what is probably my hardest Nuzlocke challenge to date, and will also represent a basic review of Pokemon White 2, which I do not expect to like terribly.

Let's get this show on the road.

I'm currently doing a Nuzlocke run of BW2. I've not got very far yet (I'm in the city where you get the second badge). Lost one pokemon to a crit in a rival battle I wasn't prepared for but other than that I'm not having any issues. Plenty of time to fail yet though.

I've done two N runs on black two. First one ended by getting skullfucked at the legend badge. And the second was successful in beating the e4. To be honest, I'm just dicking around with this latest play through. I'm on hard and I'm about to face the e4 for the second time.

Chapter 1: Yet another new beginning

I'm always rather conflicted when it comes to the issue of originality in the Pokemon franchise. On the one hand, traipsing along the exact same steps over and over again gets rather monotonous, but on the other hand, if I wanted an original and creative experience I wouldn't be playing Pokemon.

Basically I just the beginning of the game on three scales. Is it interesting? How long does it take? And Can I have my fucking running shoes please? To give some context; Red and Blue score points for not taking very long, but are as dull as you can get. Gold and Silver and interesting but take fucking ages to remove your training wheels. Ruby and Sapphire get things about right, but the running shoes come far too late. I've written these questions in advance of turning the game on, so we shall find out together how the game does.

Apparently there is no option to have a non-******ed haircut in this game, but assuming the female character conforms to basic female anatomy there is no way that her backside is not on display as she walks considering the length of her skirt. As such I elect to be a young man named Gel (the garin won't fit). I always give my rival a douchy name for reasons of personal motivation, so the older boy next door gets to be named Boyd.

The game proper opens with an unskippable cut-scene earning it perhaps the fastest black mark of any entry into the Pokemon franchise. I finally take control of my unbelievably hideous sprite, change the options to make everything run as quickly as humanly possible and the check my trainer ID. It ends with a 4, which means I get the water starter – this is nice since its the only one of the three that I'd consider keeping for my party. We'll talk more about him/her later.

This generation’s mother scores very highly on the 'demanding bitch' front and very low on the 'interesting opening' front. I'm sent hunting for some chick so that she can give me a pokemon. Could my mother's grandchild production scheme be any less subtle? I find Bianca and she has something terrible wrong with her face; possibly we will learn what this is as the game progresses, but I wouldn't hold your breath – I think they are supposed to be glasser frames; but she looks like she's just been glassed. Just like that she gives me the first member of my team.

501.png

Pellinore - Oshawott (Lv5)

I don't like Oshawott or any of its forms, but it's a decent battler and will serve as a surfer in the long term. Right now I am on the fence about if I want him for my final party, which is not a great position to be in with a water pokemon. Mast of the capture opportunities for water Pokemon will come later in the game (I expect) by which time I will have been forced wither to commit to or ignore my starter. I'm going to punt this decision up-field for now and deal with it later. It could have been worse, I could have been stuck with Snivy (my favourite, but completely unviable for a Nuzlocke run).

I give Boyd a harshly deserved lesson in how to choose tackle every turn and all of a sudden we're in full blown tutorial mode. I want to die; thus far this is the worst opening to a Pokemon game I can remember, though I am at least handed Running Shoes and Pokeballs with refreshing promptness. As stated in the rules, I won't be using shops, so Pokeballs will become an incredibly cherished resource, especially with me not knowing where all the hidden items are.

Jesus fucking christ, I can't toggle Running Shoes on and off any more, and will be forced to hold down B for the rest of the game. I really thought you and I had come to an understanding on this issue Pokemon; you don't restrict my ability to move at speed and I don't write angry letters to Congressional representatives talking about how you promote devil worship.

Route 19's Pokemon is a Patrat which I have no intention of catching. I always find Nuzlocke runs more enjoyable if I don't carry around a bunch of death fodder or fill my PC with unnecessary backups. I find the narrative is better if I only catch Pokemon I have some intention of using – and since Patrat fucking sucks more from a practical and an aesthetic standpoint, it gets tackled until it stops moving.

Now we get our first introduction of why a blind Nuzloke run is so fuckin' difficult. Route 20 doesn't spit out a wild pokemon so I progress directly to Floccesy Ranch and stumble into a rival battle that I wasn't even slightly prepared for. His level 8 Snivvy vs my level 9 Oshawott, who isn't even on full health. The only reason I avoid an immediate game over is that he dropps Pellinore to 2HP, and then proceeds to leer at him until the battle concludes in my favour. That was a valuable wake up call that I'm going to need to be a lot more careful from here on.

In that spirit I decide to reassess my catching policy and to bolster my party a little regardless of what the RNG decides to offer me. I step back to Route 20 and am greeted with a Purlion – I don't mind Purlion, it's fast and speed is very helpful. Drop it a couple of utility TMs and it'll make a valuable addition to my team. Unfortunately I accidentally kill it in one hit. This isn't going will. I spied some grass in Floccesy Ranch and decide to roll the dice one final time – this time the capture is successful.

519.png

Guinevere - Pidove (Lv 7)

I don't hate Pidove, though it's inferiority to Pidgy, Spearow, Starly and basically every other basic level bird produced does rub me the wrong way. Still, it'll make a decent physical attacker and its speed isn't horrible, so it'll do for the moment. I have my eye on a Wargle later on in the run because I like Wargle – so we'll see.

By the looks of it I'll get to stick around this area for a little bit, and nothing dramatically interesting is likely to happen any time soon. We seem to have slipped into the game proper without me really noticing, so I'll close this chapter with my final assessment of how it holds up.

The nicest thing I can say is that its short. It took very little time for me to be able to start doing stuff, which was good. That being said, it's the least interesting beginning to a Pokemon game since the very first generation, with no kind of story established beyond “help your friend Boyd achieve his dream of owning a Town Map”. Compared to the original Black and White, which were waving N in your face around this point, I have to say I'm disappointed.

Current Party

501.png

Pellinore - Oshawott (Lv5)

519.png

Guinevere - Pidove (Lv 7)

Nicknames: Compulsory
Grinding: Banned
Shops: Banned
Consumables: Banned*
Held Items: Banned*
TM/HMs: One use only

These are essentially the rules that I use. It helps that the GBA games I am playing only have the one use TMs.

One change though is on consumables. Anything I find or am given is fair game so long as they are used immediately. Hence my use of a Vileplume on my run through of Ruby. Essentially, I treat all items as extremely perishable. Also means that there are no potions, full restores etc allowed during battle.

I'm always rather conflicted when it comes to the issue of originality in the Pokemon franchise.

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago and thought that instead of the normal "three starter choices in a little town" why not have a game start in a section of the region's Safari Zone. Your character is on holiday of the like and ends up 'accidentally' or having to catch a Pokemon to save someone. Maybe there is one from each type in the part of the Safari Zone you are in? It would give an even more random and varied choice for an opening pokemon rather than the Fire, Water, Grass types.

Just starting a run through of Emerald, as I remember that it is slightly different to Ruby. Random choice got me Constans the Mudkip and so far I have caught some rather rubbish beasts - Wingle the Wingull, Pup the Poochyena (who died of a critical hit), Bandit the Zigzagoon, Sparky the Minun and Twopup the Poochyena.

The fact that a Wingull is the second best of my squad says it all really for although it has a useful dual type, it never really gets all that strong.

Chapter 2: A tale of however many cities this play session involves.

In the intervening time I have elected to relax my walk-through rules slightly. Normally Bulbapedia is strictly off the table, but I am relaxing the rule when it comes to exploring towns. This is a time saving measure and won't provide me with any actual gameplay advantage – I simply realised exactly how much I hate wandering around a new town and hearing people make the same redundant comments in every single game - “I put my Mareep in Daycare and when it came back it knew moves I never taught it.” “I traded pokemon with my friend and now it won't obey my commands”, “I managed to convince my Diglet to fuck a Wailord – I wonder how that worked”. It's the same wisdom every game and I'm tired of it – so from now on whenever I enter a new town I'll take a quick gander at Bulbapedia to find the useful people and leave the rest of them alone. I might miss a couple of items through this, but its a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

When wandering around the ranch I discover that the Pokemon I could have potentially rolled in the area include Psyduck (HM slave the movie), Herdier (One of the best normal attackers) and fucking Riolu! Have you any idea how insane an early game Lucario would be for a Nuzloke run? It could basically solo the entire game with its high base stats and offensively good movepool. An ode to what might have been at any rate. The only other item of note in the area is the frustration TM, which is tempting but there's really no way to make your Pokemon hate you in a Nuzlocke run, so I'll just hold out for return. Team Plasma's entrance is extremely anti-climactic – it rather reminds me of Team Racket in Gold and Silver: there because they are expected rather than because they add anything.

Boyd is a bit of a worthless cunt, but they appear to be establishing a bit of a character arc for him. I always like my rival to develop somewhat during the course of the game (as long as I don't have to listen to them talk too much); I always hold up the punk from Gold and Silver and the most enjoyable rival to battle against since he actually seemed to be aware of the fact that he kept losing and the grow as a result of it. I also really liked Wally from Ruby and Saphire, but was always terribly disappointed with the way his story ends. The sickly pathetic kid grows as a trainer, learns to stand on his own two feet, battles the the end of Victory Road then I kick his ass and he never shows up again. Wasteful.

Now that I'm back in Floccesy Town I have to talk about one of Pokemon's most annoying habits. After visiting Alder's school and kicking the shit out of some little children I run into Mr. Medal who asks if I know about medals. I tell him that I do, and he says the following line - “Oh, well I'll explain it anyway”. Pokemon games persistently taunt you with the option to skip worthless tutorials, only to snatch it away at the last moment. It began with your Mother at the start of Gold/Silver asking if you understood how to use the phone, then explaining it regardless of your response. I don't want the fuckin' tutorials, and if you're not going to give me the option to skip them then don't ask the damn question.

Cherin's gym is the most boring Pokemon gym I've ever seen in any game, with the possible exception of Blane in Gold and Silver, and he had an excuse; his gym got wiped out by a fuckin' volcano. I don't much like the decision to make the opening gym normal based; it's like they're trying to de-emphasise the type advantages, which is about the most important gameplay concept that Pokemon has. This is where things get interesting – I lose the gym battle. Under my own rules, there really isn't anything I could have done. With the opposing pokemon being normal type the battle just came down to 2v2 brute force, he got a crit and I didn't, so he won.

I guess this means the challenge is over. Remember this morning when I gave that “I'm really quite good at Pokemon speech”? I sure don't. I'll probably start another run since I've bought the game and all, though I can't be fucked to type up the beginning of the game again. If there's interest then I'll just pick up from where I died this time but with a different team.

Current Party

501.png

Pellinore - Oshawott (Lv12) DECEASED

519.png

Guinevere - Pidove (Lv 12) DECEASED

These are essentially the rules that I use. It helps that the GBA games I am playing only have the one use TMs.

One change though is on consumables. Anything I find or am given is fair game so long as they are used immediately. Hence my use of a Vileplume on my run through of Ruby. Essentially, I treat all items as extremely perishable. Also means that there are no potions, full restores etc allowed during battle.

The problem I have with this is that it opens up a bit of a bag of worms with the “I know there's an item I want on the other side of the pond in Blacktorn City but I'm not going to go and get it until I need it” variety. I allow myself evolution stones whenever I want because it just makes the game more fun – and everything else I keep off limits. I don't really see a need for rare candy or vitimins, and they rather ruin the balance of the first generation if you can remember where they all are (I can).

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago and thought that instead of the normal "three starter choices in a little town" why not have a game start in a section of the region's Safari Zone. Your character is on holiday of the like and ends up 'accidentally' or having to catch a Pokemon to save someone. Maybe there is one from each type in the part of the Safari Zone you are in? It would give an even more random and varied choice for an opening pokemon rather than the Fire, Water, Grass types.

I like the starting trio; I think it works and its a mainstay of the series. The only real alternative I've ever seen is starting you with something like an Eevee, and they've already done that. What I wouldn't mind seeing more of is the trio introduced in different ways rather than the “A scientist wants to give you a Pokemon that is for some reason not native to any region in the world, pick a ball”. That's a story that could do with a wash and brush up.

Added Floatie the Marill last night and briefly toyed with the idea of letting him join the squad as his evolution, if I am not mistaken, has a high HP level. However, as Wingle the Pelipper has turned into something of an early game beast due to the timing of TM gains (Steel Wing, Shock Wave, Water Gun, Wing Attack), I have decided against the need for another Water type as yet (although the need for Waterfall and Dive will change that later). I have also dispatched both Twopup and Sparky to the PC as they are both rather rubbish.

That leaves me with a squad of just three, the aforementioned Wingle, Constans the Marshtomp and Bandit the Linoone, who is something of an HM slave, but is actually another decent early game fighter with its Normal type alongside HMs like Strength and Cut.

Would have been tempted by a Numel on the Fiery Path had I been approached by one but a Koffing appeared instead. Had no interest in the Spinda that appeared on Route 113 and while I might have taken a punt on Lombre (although I like my Grass types to learn Sleep Powder) had it not taken a Critical Hit from a Tackle of all things.

Constans the Marshtomp lv29
Wingle the Pelipper lv27
Bandit the Linoone lv27

I'd have taken the Koffing personally. Fantastic typing, good bulk and TMs hand it excellent coverage.

I'm going to restart my run today, this time being very, very careful not to fuck up. I on't start writing things up until I get to the point where the wheels came off last time though.

I was going to catch the Koffing but then he poisoned Constans and I was worried about being a bit too far away from a PC. One Critical Hit Headbutt from Bandit later and Koffing was added to the list of useful beasts I missed out on along with Abra, Whismur, Oddish and Lombre, although I am somewhat glad that I missed out on the first three on the list as I want to try having some different pokemon rather than the same tried and tested squad. I already have two such repeats in Linoone and Pelipper already.

Looking immediately ahead, I see Meteor Falls in the distance, which would give me either a Solrock or a Lunatone and as it is a cave potentially a Zubat. Somehow in all my Nuzlockes so far I have yet to catch a Zubat early on. Certainly killed a lot of them though.

When wandering around the ranch I discover that the Pokemon I could have potentially rolled in the area include Psyduck (HM slave the movie), Herdier (One of the best normal attackers) and fucking Riolu! Have you any idea how insane an early game Lucario would be for a Nuzloke run? It could basically solo the entire game with its high base stats and offensively good movepool.

I was that lucky during my single Nuzlocke run. I lost at the fifth gym time and I suspect that he was probably a chief proponent of that relative success.

Chapter 1 – Deja Vu

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I am a new trainer on a new journey, but the differences in this run have proved to by mainly cosmetic. For one, I decided that Boyd was not a pretty enough name for my rival and decided that G-Star would be a more appropriate moniker. Additionally the RNG gave me a Tepig for my starter, but that is of limited relevancy since don't intend to train it. Tepig is ugly, I hate it, and there are so many amazing options to replace its coverage that I can't justify it having a long term place in my party.

Last game I only managed to capture a Pidove before dying, so this game I made catching a much higher priority. I basically said that I would catch and train anything that wasn't a Patrat, and as a result of this philosophy I approached the gym leader with a team comprising of y starter and a single Pidove. But that's OK – I HAVE A PLAN!

The shitty nature of the first gym forces you into a strategy free battle of raw power. There is not enough XP available before the gym to have two or more Pokemon at a sufficiently high level to ensure against failure. Possibly if I hadn't KOed that Mareep on the ranch I could have built a strategy around thunder wave, but instead it's a headbutting contest all the way. As such I elected to over level Pidove (who I plan to keep) at the expense of Tepig (who I don't). Here is my team as I prepare to stomp all over the first gym leader.

Bogart – Tepig (Lv9)
Colette – Pidove (Lv14)

The gym falls easily, Colette learns a special attack which is my big fear for her moveset and broken face girl gives me a return TM. I'm sure Colette's happiness isn't high enough to make it viable, but it will probably be my normal move of choice for much of the game, so I go ahead and use it straight away.

Virbank Complex in the next town over is not a success. There's grass both inside and outside the complex, which – since there's an area transition between the two, means two capture opportunities. The first one yields a Patrat, but I decide to be a bit more crafty with the second one. I can see some dark grass in the top corner of the complex, which according to what the game has just told me means a double battle. Twice the odds to roll something worth keeping. I pick my way very carefully across the pipes, avoiding all the long grass (including passing up some rustling grass) and drop into a dark grass to encounter... a single Patrat. Fuck you game. Growlith joins the list of sodding amazing Nuzlocke Pokemon that I missed, and the complex goes down as a big fat stinky failure. It's not all bad though, Colette picks up roost, a move I didn't know she would learn naturally, and the gears in my mind start turning towards the construction of a stall team.

Defensive teams are a lot harder to build in Nuzlocke than their aggressive counterparts, they require a lot more synergy both in terms of move lists and type resistances; you basically need pokemon who can switch in safely on any attack, and methods to deal with all kinds of threats. Poison and burn are my favourites, but with the toxic TM seldom available until after the elite four in modern games that gets difficult. Since this is a blind run, picking up something such as a spiker, or even picking up the required variety of bulky pokemon is going to be exceptionally difficult, but I'll keep my eyes open as the game progresses. For reference, here is a list of attractive qualities for a defensive Nuzlocke team.

• Direct self healing moves such as Roost, Synthesis, Recover and the like.
  • Indirect healing moves such as Wish or Aqua Ring
  • Heal Bell or Aromatherapy
  • Baton Passers and U-Turners
  • Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock
  • Shuffling moves such as Roar or Whirlwind
  • Will-o-Wisp, Thunder Wave and Poison Gas
  • Anything made of steel
  • Rest and Sleep Talk
  • Defensive set up moves like Calm Mind and Bulk Up
  • Regenerator
  • A few other things I'm likely forgetting

Mostly I'll just be looking out for bulk, but if I can pick up two of three of these along my journey then the defensive dream might become a reality. I don't really regret passing on the Audino opportunity earlier. Whilst it looks amazing for a defensive team with its natural bulk and Regenerator ability, it suffers from the big problem of not being able to do anything once it switches in. If it could provide wish support I'd take it in a flash, but Audino is only good for absorbing hits.

Another discovery I've made about this game is that it intends to physically vomit great balls all over me. I'm used to having to be incredibly careful with my captures to avoid running out of materials – but it doesn't seem that this is going to become an issue in this run.

Another gym battle approaches, and once again I'll be tackling it with a single Pokemon; please fuck don't let this be an electric based gym – rockers are normally electric based, but I'm not panicking because the forth badge outline is blatantly lighting blot shaped. This one looks like a dragonfly, so I'm saying bugs. Two minutes with air slash and the problem will go away. Famous last words maybe?

Apparently not; the gym is poison instead of bug, but the important opponents are half bug anyway so it falls incredibly easily. To a complete a nine moment, Colette evolves after the battle with Roxie – Tepig is being kept at just a high enough level so that he can soften the wild Pokemon who is to replace him.

I'm going to close this issue with perhaps my biggest complaint about this generation of games – Why the fuck are these gyms so boring? Interesting puzzled have become a staple of the franchise since the very beginning. I appreciate that the first couple of gyms are usually very light on the puzzle front, but these two have just been big empty rooms with a couple of trainers to fight before the leader – they could not have been more dull if the designers tried. I seriously hope this isn't going to be a recurring theme.

Join us next episode I discover what the fuck Pokemon Studios is supposed to be.

Current Party

498.png

Bogart - Tepig (Lv10)

520.png

Colette - Tranquil (Lv21)

Got bored of my B2 Nuzlocke around the second gym as I felt I was just banging my head against a wall, being unable to build up a solid team due to crits and other such flukey stuff. So I started a new one, committing to a no-starter run which I found much more enjoyable. Until I got wiped out by Cheren, that is. Working out a strategy top get past my rival with an underlevelled purloin and pidove was fun (assist abuse ftw).

Take two...

I usually leave out Riolu if I had Torchic as my starter. It's a pity, because Riolu's cool and all and my Emboar only knows Arm Thrust as a fighting attack, but I'll be damned if I can't keep both Altaria and Flygon.

I actually like Tepig and his evolutionary line, although despite his high HP and strong Fire, Fighting and Rock moves, he has far too many weakness for a Nuzlocke challenge. You might get him to the Elite 4 and he would deal with a lot of Ice, Grass, Rock types but he is a prime candidate for a OHKO from any number of beasts.

Feeling a similar problem with my latest edition to my squad - Vulcan the Numel. I actually think he is quite weak even before you add in his type weaknesses. Much like with Floatie the Marill, I am having second thoughts.

Chapter 2 – Boooooring...

So Pokemon Studios turned out to be a bit of a let down. I'm one of those rare individuals who actually likes the beauty contests in previous games – I thought the system needed work, but was comparatively playable. This however is a rather drab time sink of a feature that I'm almost sure I will never go back to. Maybe if there were awesome prizes I'd be convinced, but I looked into it and you get nothing of merit from doing it, so it won't get done.

The game forces a little bit of pointless backtracking on me (it seems to be trying to stretch these opening areas out for as long as humanly possible) in the form of “Go back to route 20 to fight a single Plasma grunt, then carry on as normal”. With that done I'm finally free to get on a boat and sail to my least favourite city ever designed (including the one full of tree-houses and invisible walls) Castelia. I do not see what the isometric perspective actually adds to the game, it makes places harder to navigate and looks untidy.

Castilia is too big to write about at length, rest assured that I went in all the buildings and picked up the Rest TM which I have high hopes for and hoovered up the XP that the game seems determined to thrust upon me. Colette is at this point so over leveled that she's comfortably OHKOing everything so comes up against with Return, and I took time to get her massaged to increase her destructive potential ever further.

After a protracted exploration session I am directed into the Castilia sewers – which I believe represents the first time Pokemon has resorted to the inevitable sewer level cliché. Turns out that this is one of those dungeons where you're given a partner and infinite HP, otherwise known as massive free piles of XP. I find time to let Bogart come out to play and evolve him into his Pignite form. The first double battle I encounter is a pair of Zubat, one of which I rather wanted. Unfortunately G-Star OHKOs both of them and the capture opportunity goes to waste. However, in the back room of the sewers I am hit with a real stroke of luck – a Grimer. One Flame Charge and a great ball later and we can say hello to the newest member of my party.

088.png

Nox - Grimer (Lv15)

A few words on Grimer/Muk. Muk is a very good candidate for a defensive team due to his useful variety of resistances (poison is one of the four best defensive types in the game) and exception bulk. His HP and Special Defence are massive, and with a 100+ Attack he can crack back with a mighty wallop. However; Muk does have some issues that must be taken into account.

For one, he has no inbuilt means of recovery, which is a problem when your main purpose is to absorb hits. Muk will make a very nice candidate for the Rest TM that I just picked up, since many foes will struggle to KO him faster than he can rest off the damage, particularly since he learns minimise and acid armour.

The other issue with Muk is that his moveset (particularly coverage moves) is almost universally Specially based, but Muk is an entirely Physical attacker. If you're going for a utility Muk then this can be safely ignored, but if you want Muk attacking then you're going to need to find some way of giving him Physical moves, or what you end up with is a strictly inferior Weezing. My current plan is to go the eventual utility route with Muk, using Sludge Bomb or Poison Gas to poison foes and then resting off their attacks until they die. Eventually I'll take Poison Jab – but since I've just been given a poison type TM that's almost certainly late game stuff.

I contemplate teaching Nox Venoshock, but I can't come up with a reason to prefer it over Sludge at the present moment – anyway, my party now has two permanent members and I'm free to continue my journey.

Beyond the sewers I find two interesting areas that I didn't know where coming; Relic Cave and an interesting little garden. The garden gives me a double battle against Skitty and Pidove, neither of who merit consideration at this point. Relic Cave is a little more interesting in that it yields Roggenrola, which I consider to be one of the more attractive traps for a Nuzlocke challenge. It's probably the only opportunity you're going to get to have Stealth Rock support for your team, which is still a big deal against the AI. However; you're not going to be able to evolve it to its final form, and as such your Stealth Rock layer is going to be incredibly frail on the Special front, which is simply not something you can live with. I pass on it and take the xp instead.

Out chapter comes to a close with the gym battle against Burgh. I'm disappointed to see a Bug gym immediately follow a Poison gym with Bug types. Still, it gives Nox another opportunity to hoover up some XP – word on the street is that I'll be heading into the desert next where he won't be able to do much, so it's good to absorb all that I can now. Nox takes down everything but the final Levanny by himself, and if I'd pulled the trigger on teaching him Rest he could have handled that as well. I throw caution to the wind and expect the Rest TM at the battle's conclusion. The gym was an improvement; they're still far too enamoured with their discovery of the third dimension – but it at least felt like a Pokemon Gym.

Current Party

499.png

Bogart - Pignite (Lv17)

520.png

Colette - Tranquil (Lv25)

088.png

Nox - Grimer (Lv24)

Feeling a similar problem with my latest edition to my squad - Vulcan the Numel. I actually think he is quite weak even before you add in his type weaknesses. Much like with Floatie the Marill, I am having second thoughts.

Numel is something that I would never catch, even if I was desperate for coverage. Horrible typing, which is something that you overlook on a zippy pokemon, but completely kills anything as slow as Numel is. Maril on the other hand I've always thought to be fine, assuming it has Hugh Power instead of... cute charm or whatever. Bulky Water that hits like truck physically, you'll need something else to surf on, but I seldom find that too much of a problem.

Numel is something that I would never catch, even if I was desperate for coverage. Horrible typing, which is something that you overlook on a zippy pokemon, but completely kills anything as slow as Numel is. Maril on the other hand I've always thought to be fine, assuming it has Hugh Power instead of... cute charm or whatever. Bulky Water that hits like truck physically, you'll need something else to surf on, but I seldom find that too much of a problem.

Yeah, I think Numel is going to fall by the wayside at the next PC I reach. Too slow, too vulnerable and seems to level up slowly as well.

As I am Surfing from Petalburg to Slateport, I have a chance to pick up a Tentacool/Tentacruel as a water HM slave at the very least, if not something more useful. Don't really want to have to resort to Wailmer again even if he is very useful as a HM slave.

Just done the the Petalburg gym, where Norman has changed his line up somewhat from Ruby to Emerald - removed a Slaking and added a Spinda and a Linoone. Not the most spectacular of lineups by damn it, they are tricky to get around. Even though my group has three pokemon of higher levels than any of his, the lack of a decent Fighting move meant that I could not any heavy damage to basically any of them. Facade could also be a pain in the arse.

The Slacking is gone? But that Slacking was awesome. Not many gym leaders manage to have a Pokemon that I particularly remember, Whitney's Miltank is of course one, as is Bugsey's Scyther. Norman's Slacking was one of the few others.

The Slacking is gone? But that Slacking was awesome. Not many gym leaders manage to have a Pokemon that I particularly remember, Whitney's Miltank is of course one, as is Bugsey's Scyther. Norman's Slacking was one of the few others.

In Ruby, he had two Slakings along with a Vigoroth. In Emerald, he has just one - an annoying opponent if there ever was one. Even with Truant (surely if you could breed out a Pokemon Ability, that would be a prime candidate), it has Yawn, Facade, Counter and Faint Attack, holds a Citrus Berry and Norman will use two Hyper Potions if he has them left. Essentially, you will likely have to beat the damn thing three times.

Did a brief play this evening, where I switched out Numel in Dewford. Gave Floatie another go and he seems like he could be powerful. On the catching front, I was getting five opportunities - Routes 105, 106, 107, 108 and 109. Unsurprisingly I was confronted with a parade of teenage Wingulls and even a single digit Tentacool. That is until 109 where I was able to confront and catch a lv35 Tentacool.

I'd add Claire's Kingdra to that list.

Барбоса;4554755 said:
If they both prove to be strong, I'll give one of them Waterfall and the other Dive and treat neither as an HM slave. Only problem is that my squad now contains 4 water types,

Oh yeah, you're playing Emerald. In that case, you should dump Marill since Waterfall doesn't draw it's power from the Attack stat yet, it still draws it from the Special Attack. They didn't differentiate between physical and special attacks within types until Gen 4.

Oh yeah, you're playing Emerald. In that case, you should dump Marill since Waterfall doesn't draw it's power from the Attack stat yet, it still draws it from the Special Attack. They didn't differentiate between physical and special attacks within types until Gen 4.

Despite his rather strong Rollout, Floatie the Azumarill is definitely the most likely of my water types to fall by the wayside, not least because he is about 8-10 levels behind everyone else and if I should drop him later, it would be a waste of XP points.

Granted, the permanent boxing of Floatie might depend on what I can catch later on... If my run of rubbish almost throughout the game is anything to go by, Fabius the lv35 Tentacool is an aberration. Even when I have found something I might want, they have been of the lowest possible level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back