• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

[Official] John Cena Thread

What is Your Feeling on John Cena?

• I despise him!

• I am not a fan of his

• I don't like him or hate him

• I like the guy

• I am a Cena Fanatic!

• I like him, but don't think he's a good wrestler

• I don't like him, but do think he's a good wrestler

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year they put over Taker( a guy who's been there for ages).At WM22+23,they put HHH/HBK in the mainevents instead of going for younger,up&coming guys like Edge& Orton.The original plan was to put Taker over for the 2nd year running& HHH was the 2nd choice.Were you going to bitch about those 40year guys buring the newblood?
They didnt put over any young guys,so that makes your point invalid.Sure Ken's got talent,but maybe he should stop ordering HGH& steriods on-line if he wants to be in a WM mainevent one day.People talk as if John is 58yrs like Hogan and is keep the "youngsters" down.John turned 30 last year.He's one the youngest guys on the roster,he is the future.Unlike HHH& Hogan,he isnt manipulating Vince into giving him the topspot,he's being booked in that way by Vince.

How is my point invalid? I said the Rumble SHOULD BE USED to elevate guys and it used to be. Go look at the old rumble winnners, some which weren't main event guys just yet...Yokozuna, HBK, Austin and Batista all won the Rumble before they became main eventers and before they won the WWE championship. Also Benoit and Rey won the Rumble before they got their first title reigns in WWE. I didn't say Cena was holding back talent I said the Rumble should be used for guys who need a push, Cena didn't need a push at all. Also in both of those main events you stated, the younger/upcoming guy won. Cena beat both HHH and HBK and made them both tap to the STFU. How would putting Edge or Orton into that match against Cena and having them tap make them look good?

Another thing for all the shit talking that gets said about HHH the guy loses just as much as he wins. Just look at what he has done since 2004...
Taps to Benoit at WM 20
Benoit remains champ by beating HHH at Backlash 2004
HHH beats Orton at Unforgiven 2004
belt becomes vacant in nov. 04
HHH wins at New Years 05
HHH loses the belt to Batista at WM 21
HHH loses in rematches at Backlash 2005 and Vengeance 2005 to Batista
HHH taps to John Cena at WM 22
he also took the pinfall in a championship match to Cena at Backlash 2006
he beat Orton for the belt and lost 2hrs or so later No Way Out 2007
he lost clean to Jeff Hardy at Armageddon 2007
he got eliminated by Cena in the rumble tonight

say what you will about HHH but he has only had 1 title reign since WM 21 and that reign was about 2hrs or so long and the guy is willing to put over people and he has great matches doing it. He loses just as much as he wins of late. People just tend to bitch about him cause of all these dirtsheet rumors posted on the internet saying how much control he has and blah blah.

I can belive that some idiots think he's injury was a work(i.e angle) .I do agree that he's pretty amazing in he's ability to heal that quick.He cleary worked his ass off in rehab

Perhaps you should read what I was replying to. Someone mentioned Cena fluking the injury to go make another movie.. and upon finishing that movie, he returned. "I" believed the injury was 100% legit.. I was merely arguing the point with him.

Personally, I love members like you.. who want to flame people for opinions, when you can't even handle them yourself.

John Cena is a gifted and talented athlete, yes.. but it doesn't mean I have to like the guy. Wow, go look up "opinion" in a dictionary, then go figure out what a forum is for. Better yet, lemme help you. Its where a group of people gather to give insight on what THEY feel as far as their opinions go. It doesn't mean they're idiots, just because YOU don't agree with their opinion.

"John turned 30 last year.He's one the youngest guys on the roster" - I believe HHH turned 38 last year; thats not much older than Cena

8 years is an eternity in sports and entertainment.

Think about it...8 years ago, just hit the turn of the century.

Barry Bonds wasn't knowing for being the most dangerous hitter in baseball. Kobe Bryant was up and coming. Lebron who?

Bret Hart was still wrestling. Austin had just went through neck surgrey. Undertaker wasn't a biker yet. Kurt Angle debuted 8 Rumbles ago if I remember correctly.

ECW was still an independent promotion. The list goes on. I can guarantee that 8 years from now, you'll be able to look back at sports and sports entertainment and say wow, things have changed.

Last year they put over Taker( a guy who's been there for ages).At WM22+23,they put HHH/HBK in the mainevents instead of going for younger,up&coming guys like Edge& Orton.The original plan was to put Taker over for the 2nd year running& HHH was the 2nd choice.Were you going to bitch about those 40year guys buring the newblood?
They didnt put over any young guys,so that makes your point invalid.Sure Ken's got talent,but maybe he should stop ordering HGH& steriods on-line if he wants to be in a WM mainevent one day.People talk as if John is 58yrs like Hogan and is keep the "youngsters" down.John turned 30 last year.He's one the youngest guys on the roster,he is the future.Unlike HHH& Hogan,he isnt manipulating Vince into giving him the topspot,he's being booked in that way by Vince.

gee i wonder why they put Taker over..hmmm...maybe because hes the biggest draw they got, been there longer than anyone and gets the loudest pops..and im sorry but no way is john cena the future...id look at Orton more of the future than him...cuz that guy can actually wrestle...cenas got 3 moves...HHH doesnt need to manipulate vince..look who he's let get wins off of him to give the a push..HELLO!!! freakin Jeff Hardy! whoda ever thought hed be a contender for the belt?!

If i hear one more person say that triple H would have been a better pick to win the rumble then I think im gonna end up spitting out this beer all over my laptop. Triple H has been monopolising this buisness for over 10 years, using backstage politics to push himself to the forefront and installing a damn tick glass ceiling to the majority of the other guys. Cena winning the rumble makes perfect sense, a hell of a lot more than trips winning would have. Cena winning sets the stage for a new era , a new main event , the true passing of the torch. This is the first time that the young guys in the WWE will have the main event at mania all to themselves and all I have to say is its about damn time. Orton-Cena will be the new Rock-Austin and when their intense re-opened rivalry produces a classic at Mania, Im gonna be feeling pretty good about Cenas return and rumble win. Especially the part where he put a big nosed politicking **** over the top rope to win. That part made me cheer.

If thats seriously the case, and Cena's injury angle was a complete fluke to begin with.. then he deserves to be released from the company. Because that would mean, the punk ass bitch just "forfeited" the title to Randy Orton, instead of losing to him like a man. Honestly, I don't think Cena is that low of a person.. but then again, anything is possible..

How can you guys seriously be convinced that this man faked an injury? Not only is he (IMO) the most dedicated superstar in the business, but, its just.. hard to fake an injury in any sort. If I do Remember, Didn't the WWE.COM website show a VIDEO of his surgery? Look, I'm not the greatest Fan of Cena, and personally, I think 3 WM main events in a row is a few too many... However it draws in crowds, and makes money. I for one, am happy to see him back. Whether Cena haters like it or not, Cena is the best thing going for the company atm. And NOBODY can say they weren't surprised to see him entrant number 30. They kept this one under wraps for sure. I kinda thought it was going to be Big Show. Even the Cena haters cheered their asses off when his music hit.

Why are WWE so stupid?

I have no problem with entering Cena into the Royal Rumble, and even I was midly suprised to see him in there, so props for doing it so well.

But why oh why have Cena win the royal rumble?! Did they not realise that doing so they would have the 50% of the fans who are not exactly smitten with him, turn on him in an instant. Everyone now is sub-consciencly thinking 'oh great Cena is back and now is going to squash everyone and nothing will change from how it was before'.

WWE should have learned their lesson of over-pushing Cena, and having fans turn on him.

I don't have a problem with Cena been in the main event at mania even, and everyone knows I am not his biggest fan. However they should have had him be eliminated from the rumble, and whoever the other main event challenger be win it instead. If WWE had built up his character gradually instead of throwing him stright into the main event picture there wouldn't be the backlash from some fans, that is now gonna occur. Hardy=Good way to push a fan favourite, Cena winning Rumble on his return = Bad way.

On a side note I really think Cena vs Edge is the way to go, all the fans are aware of there history, and the two of them, despite my reservations over Cena's all around ability there is nodoubting he is probably there biggest draw at this moment in time. They have proven that the two of them can have great matches, and we all know that they can have good promos with each other. Cena/Orton although it wasn't horrid I feel just isnt main event wrestlemania standard, Edge/Cena would be a match that I actualy wouldnt mind seeing.
You make many many good points. And I understand completely what you are saying, especially with immediately throwing him back in. The only thing I can think of is that they are needing even more big name draws for the build to Wrestlemania and Wrestlemania buys.

Cena vs. Edge would require Cena to move to Smackdown, which would certainly present a VERY interesting dynamic on Smackdown. And I would love to see Edge and Cena put on another classic match. And, it would certainly help Smackdown and ECW. But, I don't think it will happen. They already have Batista and Rey Mysterio on Smackdown, which are two major draws, particularly with the target audience of Smackdown. Cena on Raw would draw many of the same demographics that Batista and Mysterio do, and would help boost the rating of the "A" show.

I think Cena is good for the business, but personally I don't care for him. He is too limited in the ring (whether that's his fault or not) and I think he's bland on the mic. His promos are always; he tells you whats going on and makes a few joke and then turns angry and serious with his yelling and shaking face. I do like that he's like a Hogan to young kids, but to older fans he just seems repetitive and boring. What he needs is a huge feud where he gets his ass destroyed and then comes back -- not one of these "take on Kahli cause he's big and overcome adversity feuds."

Now with that said, he's probably the best decision for anything they are doing. I was at the Rumble last night and the pop he got was ridiculous (and yes it was mainly kids and girls) -- it was a GREAT surprise though and no one expected it. As soon as I heard his music though, I knew he was going to win.

If he just added a few more moves and toned up his mic work a little, I think people would be a little more lenient on him.

I cannot stand all this hating on the genius plan of the WWE and John Cena. Admit it, "You didnt see that" coming. Just because the WWE outsmarted or duped the internet community the plan is going to backlash. What if the WWE puts the movie plan on hold? or what if Cena was never as injured as they made it out to be? Either way they just brought back one of their biggest draws (love him or hate him) and suprised EVERYONE. I personally love it as I have been waiting for Wrestling to do something like this for a while now. With Cena back, this opens up more options for 'Mania. Hats off to WWE and Cena - much respect

Genius plan? yes. I give crazy props to WWE to being able to keep this a secret, good job. Its just too bad that it was cena, why couldnt it have been ANYONE else. Literally anyone, i would have taken doink the damn clown over Cena. Hell i would rather see Hornswoggle in the main event at Mania, rather than Cena. All i know is if WWE puts the strap back on him at Mania, im not too sure how often ill want to watch Raw.

The Rumble should be used to elevate guys to main event status.
No, it shouldn't. It should be used to set up the Wrestlemania main-event. Since when has the Rumble EVER been used consistently as a tool to elevate guys to the main-event?

I don't really care for the most part to argue over who should have been elevated but Kennedy as a face would have been a great choice to get someone into main event status because of the fact he is good on the mic and has a catch phrase the fans love and he can go in the ring plus with him winning the MITB last year and him getting screwed out of it due to bad luck I thought he deserved the push.
You're complaining about Cena winning, and you think KENNEDY would be a better choice? Not only was Kennedy suspended less than 6 months ago for the steroid scandal, he is also pitiful in the ring, and has very little heat. No, Kennedy is a terrible choice.

Given the pop he got last night,the IWC is clearly a minority.People are now just ragging on John for the sake of ragging on the guy.What happened last night was sheer genius and a historic Rumble moment.At the end of the day people need to stop being hipocrites.Would you rather have seen HHH go to WM again when we all know that it wouldnt have been a fresh match( i.e HHH vs. RKO)
Surely you are not insinuating that the IWC just loves to hate on the most successful guys in wrestling...surely not. ;)
HHH is more of a mega-star than Cena...
No he's not. You don't see Triple H on Larry King do you? You don't see Triple H on Cold Pizza, or Regis and Kelly, or other shows do you? Cena is a bigger star than Triple H.

If thats seriously the case, and Cena's injury angle was a complete fluke to begin with.. then he deserves to be released from the company. Because that would mean, the punk ass bitch just "forfeited" the title to Randy Orton, instead of losing to him like a man. Honestly, I don't think Cena is that low of a person.. but then again, anything is possible..
Yes, because it DEFINITELY would have been Cena's idea to fake the injury just to forfeit a title. Because the WWE would have had no idea that Cena, their top guy, was faking an injury.

Your post is incredible. I know you're saying that you don't think the injury was a work, but if it was, how can you blame Cena for it? Why would Cena be released for it? The only people who would have pushed for Cena to fake an injury to lose the belt would have been the WWE. So, why would Cena be a low person, a punk ass bitch, and released from the company. You don't make sense.

"John turned 30 last year.He's one the youngest guys on the roster" - I believe HHH turned 38 last year; thats not much older than Cena
HAHAHA...you're kidding right? 8 years is a LONG time in professional wrestling. Someone else already told you what was going on 8 years ago, so I won't. But, 8 years is a LONG time to build a career.

How is my point invalid? I said the Rumble SHOULD BE USED to elevate guys and it used to be. Go look at the old rumble winnners, some which weren't main event guys just yet...Yokozuna, HBK, Austin and Batista all won the Rumble before they became main eventers and before they won the WWE championship. Also Benoit and Rey won the Rumble before they got their first title reigns in WWE.
You're kidding right? When John Stud won it back in 1989, was it to elevate him? How about Hogan in 90 or 91? Did Flair really get elevated in 92? How about Bret Hart in 94? Michaels in 96? Austin in 98? McMahon in 99? Rock in 2000? Austin in 01? HHH in 02? Undertaker in 07?

Where you get this idea that the Rumble is used to elevate new guys, I have no idea. The Rumble is used to set up Wrestlemania, and has been since 1990.

No, it shouldn't. It should be used to set up the Wrestlemania main-event. Since when has the Rumble EVER been used consistently as a tool to elevate guys to the main-event?

You're complaining about Cena winning, and you think KENNEDY would be a better choice? Not only was Kennedy suspended less than 6 months ago for the steroid scandal, he is also pitiful in the ring, and has very little heat. No, Kennedy is a terrible choice.

You're kidding right? When John Stud won it back in 1989, was it to elevate him? How about Hogan in 90 or 91? Did Flair really get elevated in 92? How about Bret Hart in 94? Michaels in 96? Austin in 98? McMahon in 99? Rock in 2000? Austin in 01? HHH in 02? Undertaker in 07?

Where you get this idea that the Rumble is used to elevate new guys, I have no idea. The Rumble is used to set up Wrestlemania, and has been since 1990.

It could have been CM Punk, Shelton, or any guy at mid-card status, I said Kennedy, and I said as a face, because he won the MITB and never got his title shot due to his injury and the WWE jumping the gun on him being hurt. The Rumble is used to elevate guys and it has been before and yes it doesn't happen every year but kudos to you for completely missing the point.

Well, for the last few years, it has been used to elevate guys. I understand that they use it to set up the WM main event, but just look at the last few years....

2006-Mysterio
2005-Batista
2004-Benoit

Those are guys who barely sniffed the main event before they got that monster push that the Rumble win gives you.

I was at the Rumble last night, and I was shocked like everyone else with Cena. I wasnt happy with the Rumble yesterday, and after sleeping on it, Im still not. I dont even mind so much that hes back even though personally I cant stand him, but to see him immediately reinserted into the title hunt is disheartening. It was a nice break seeing someone else with the belt, and now the countdown is on until Cena inevitably gets it back.

Someone made the point that it undermines the rest of the roster and it does to an extent. Would Jeff Hardy have won the title last night had Cena not been ready to return? Hell, wouldve Trips have jobbed to Hardy in the first place? How much more will this bury guys like Kennedy? It does have a trickle down effect on the rest of the roster, whether you want to admit it or not.

Who doesn't recognize him as a talented wrestler? Wrestling fans in general recognize him as talented because they care enough about him to pay to see him. The WWE recognizes him enough because they made him the longest reigning champion since Hulk Hogan in the 80s. His colleagues recognize him as being talented, as evidenced by the fact that he's been endorsed by Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, and Chris Jericho. So who does recognize him as a talented wrestler? A small percentage of fans in the 16-25 year old age range who spend their time bitching on internet forums about a product many of them never pay to see?

I am sure a lot of people would rather pay to see Cena lose.

John Cena is incredibly talented. Wrestling fans, Vince McMahon, and other wrestlers all agree.

Cena is not incredibly talented, thats like saying Mick Foley is an incredibly talented technical wrestler. Which everyone knows isn't true, but he is good at what he does, and so is Cena, he is good at his selective move set.

Being loved or hated is what makes a person talented. Professional wrestling has always been, and always will be about making people care about you. So, if you are loved or hated, you are doing your job very well.

Right so if you are loved or hated? then how come Cena isn't loved by everyone? how come he is the only 'face' who is aiming to be a huge babyface to get crowd heat in a long time, he is pretty much in the grey area and not by choice. Thats because the wrestling fans can see through his 'loyalty' crap and see that he isn't as good as a lot of more deserving wrestlers.

So having a bunch of moves makes someone a good wrestler? What a bunch of baloney. Number of moves have nothing to do with being a good wrestler. Being able to tell a story in the ring, showing psychology, working the crowd, selling...THESE are the things that make a good wrestler. Not an arbitrary list of moves done in a match.

Ok, so if its not having a wider ability in the ring, its their selling ability, and if anyone has actually watched a match with Cena closely, he has the tendancy to be very stiff and his selling ability with different styles of wrestling lacks a lot. I should know, I'm a wrestler.

I think the funniest part in your post demonstrates how little so many of today's fans understand psychology. You don't consider dropping a fist in someone's face to be a credible move? You're telling me that getting punch in the face by a man who can bench press an elephant wouldn't hurt? Do you not understand how much that would hurt, and why it is good psychology for a man like Cena?

Psychology? Ok, again I'll say it again, I know the psychology of a match, telling a story bleh bleh. Hell I believed the rocks 'peoples elbow' was a credible move, umaga 'thumb to the neck' rubbish is a credible move, however the way Cena sells him fist to the face isn't credible, and it makes me laugh.

Number of moves has nothing to do with being a good wrestler. It's what moves you do, how you do them, and when you do them that makes a difference.

Again, selling other peoples moves would greatly improve his ability in my opinion.

Yes, but I'm not a child, so why do I like him?

I don't know, maybe you are a patriotic american who loves the loyality respect and hustle stuff, or maybe you are just a fan of Cena because you like him, I'm sure you are not the only person to like Cena, but again like I said I can't tell you, why you like him.

Why would the WWE want to take the top title off their best draw? That would be a stupid business decision. If fans really didn't like him that much, they should have quit paying for shows, attending shows and watching him on Monday. But, that didn't happen, so the WWE kept the title on him. It's smart business. It also gave unbelievable credibility to the WWE title, and would have made whomever he lost to much bigger. It was just unfortunate they didn't get to use that.

Taking the title off Cena would have given Cena the chance to work for the title again, and most people will agree with me here, it's more entertaining to watch someone chasing the title, than to have them hold it for months and months and months and months...

How did it make Edge look weak when Edge went in as the guy who could never get over as a main-eventer, and came out as the top man on Smackdown? That's silly. Cena put Edge over HUGE in their feud.

He had to go to Smackdown because Cena wouldn't lose to him, which he should because everyone has to lose eventually, why not be a better guy and put Edge over on Raw, so he didn't have to go over to Smackdown? But perhaps you are right, at least on Smackdown Edge got his rightful place at the top, because Cena wouldn't give it up on Raw.

And, Edge is not really that talented in the ring in classic singles bouts. He's phenomenal in gimmick matches, but classic one on one matches he's average.

Edge is a talented wrestler, more so than Cena, his gimmick is more entertaining than Cena's. Just my opinion, and I'm sure I'm not alone in sharing that one.

Yeah, except Cena was the one who was in control for most of the match and spent over half the match moving HBK from spot to spot.

Right if you think Cena moved HBK around in that match, just watch it again, thats all I am saying, and if anyone dares to say Cena is better than HBK in any way, they must be sadly blinded by Cena.

The only reason you want to give more credit for HBK is because you don't think Cena is good. Not because HBK actually deserves it. Both men played their parts to perfection, and neither one deserves more credit for the actual match being good.
Why was it not credible? Has not everyone else tapped out to it as well? Did it not set up their Raw match wonderfully (HBK I mean)?

The only reason that match took place was because that match should have been the one that happened at Wrestlemania.

Why is tapping out less dignified than getting your ass beat so bad you can't answer a 3 count?

In my opinion being made to tap out (to a move Cena against doesn't sell at all well) is less dignified than losing in a pin fall.

It is still generally agreed to be some of Khali's best work.

but you are talking about Khali.

I agree, but that's not Cena's fault. And, you're telling me the head kicking Cena's father didn't get Orton a ton of heat? You must not be watching the same program. I'm watching Raw every Monday night, what are you watching?

Yes he got heat from that, Cena got cheered for the whole 'crying' episode, Orton also got heat for kicking just about everyone he has kicked, and he still isn't the best heel. Dropping the belt, even if Orton cheated would have got Orton more heat, and would have probably put Cena over a little bit more.

How many role models, other than family members, come from anything other than entertainment mediums? Whether it be sports stars, or musicians or actors...most role models come from the entertainment area. So, having Cena as a positive role model, especially in professional wrestling which has always had a high percentage of children as a core audience is a good thing. If people know right from wrong, what does it matter if Cena is saying to do things right? Is it any different than Edge coming out and trying to convince people he's ok for doing the wrong things?

That line against Cena is so ridiculous. Bashing him because he's a positive role model does not speak well for the wrestling fans who do it.

Well like I said before if a child chooser a wrestler as role model, they need to look else where. In my opinion Cena holding the title for so long is a stain on WWE for the simple fact it tainted the titles reputation for many many fans. Just look at the poll above this. It made the title boring, it made the title chasers look weak against Cena, when Cena really isn't a great wrestler, the only reason Cena is where he is was because of his initial character who use to entertain the fans with his mic skills, now Cena has dropped that, and it seems to be back firing with the WWE, I mean he doesn't get a full crowd response, where as huge faces in the past have, take for example The Rock, when he was face, you hardly ever heard a 'Rocky Sucks' chant. Now with Cena, he is trying so hard to be like the Rock, Austin, Hogan, that it is backfiring. If he was as good as you say, why did he get heat at the Rumble after returning from an injury?

Well, for the last few years, it has been used to elevate guys. I understand that they use it to set up the WM main event, but just look at the last few years....

2006-Mysterio
2005-Batista
2004-Benoit

Those are guys who barely sniffed the main event before they got that monster push that the Rumble win gives you.

Those are also guys that had a lot of momentum going into the Rumble and were on the cusp of Main Event status anyway. The way you are putting it is that someone like Kennedy should have won who has absolutely no momentum right now, I could understand someone like Hardy being thrown forward as a possible Rumble winner simply because he is already over. The Rumble win gave those three that little extra they needed to legitimately Main Event Wrestlemania the WWE have never taken someone from out of no-where and given them the Rumble win, they could never risk something like that.

Personally I think the biggest problem most people have with Cena isn't actually Cena at all, it's the same problem people have with Triple H, it's the way they are both booked. Cena is booked as a superman, but at the end of the day that is not his fault. Personally I think Cena is more than average in the ring (given the right person to work with he is brilliant) his promo work is faultless and like it or not the guy is the most over person in the company at the moment. If your going to bitch about Cena you need to be directing your bitching at the booking team, not Cena himself.

Those are also guys that had a lot of momentum going into the Rumble and were on the cusp of Main Event status anyway. The way you are putting it is that someone like Kennedy should have won who has absolutely no momentum right now, I could understand someone like Hardy being thrown forward as a possible Rumble winner simply because he is already over. The Rumble win gave those three that little extra they needed to legitimately Main Event Wrestlemania the WWE have never taken someone from out of no-where and given them the Rumble win, they could never risk something like that.

Personally I think the biggest problem most people have with Cena isn't actually Cena at all, it's the same problem people have with Triple H, it's the way they are both booked. Cena is booked as a superman, but at the end of the day that is not his fault. Personally I think Cena is more than average in the ring (given the right person to work with he is brilliant) his promo work is faultless and like it or not the guy is the most over person in the company at the moment. If your going to bitch about Cena you need to be directing your bitching at the booking team, not Cena himself.

Eh, Im not sure how much I agree with you on that.....Mysterio was a guy that I think a lot of the IWC feels that the only reason he got his push was because of what happened to Eddie. For most of the 2 years before that, he was stuck in cruiserweight feuds and that stupid 'custody of Dominick' storyline. I agree with Batista, as I feel like he wouldve gone against Trips regardless at that WM had Cena won that Rumble instead of him. Benoit......the roster was a lot more cluttered with potential main event guys for Mania at that time (Lesnar, Goldberg, Angle, Eddie, Show, even an up and coming Cena at that time). They couldve gone in a lot of different directions with whoever had won that Rumble.

I do agree with you on the booking though. I will be the first to admit I dont really care for Cena, but I understand its not his fault that he is booked the way he is. He is a very easy target though......people cant boo the writers when they go to these shows.

Awesome point. Events like King of the Ring and Money in the Bank can be used to elevate a mid-carder to main event status. But with the Royal Rumble, the entire allure of the event was the prospect of the winner being the 2nd man in the biggest match in the biggest event of the wrestling year. Sure, WWE could throw us a curve ball next year and have a real dark horse win it, and we'd love it. But look at the past winners and tell me if they were mid-carders who got elevated.

1993 - Yokozuna - dominant new comer, biggest competitor to win. Was never a mid-carder. This was his 4th month with WWF, so he was already on his way.

1994 - Bret Hart - had already been WWF Champion and King of the Ring.

1994 - Lex Luger - former WCW star and recently feuded with Yokozuna for the title.

1995 - Shawn Michaels - had put mid-card status behind him already with ladder matches vs Razor Ramon. Definately not a mid-carder at this point.

1996 - Shawn Michaels - 1st back to back winner since Hogan. Had main evented the prior year's Wrestlemania.

1997 - Steve Austin - Maybe I'll accept the mid-card here. Austin hadn't finished his feud with Bret Hart yet, but it's safe to say he'd shed the mid-card status by winning King of the Ring.

1998 - Steve Austin - see Michaels circa 1996.

1999 - Vince McMahon - Load of Crap.

2000 - The Rock - a former WWE champion already.

2001 - Steve Austin - also a former champ already.

2002 - Triple H - former multi-time champ returning from injury.

2003 - Brock Lesnar - again, KOTR shed his mid card status before this event.

2004 - Chris Benoit - had been WCW champ already, wasn't a mid-carder like a Shelton or Carlito or Kennedy is.

2005 - Batista - Had been elevated with tease feud with HHH, but I'd concede this one as an elevation.

2006 - Rey Mysterio - Not sure how I'd term this one.

2007 - Undertaker - yeah, not a midcarder.

2008 - John Cena - see: Undertaker

Maybe it was a work, but i guess you weren't complaining when reports said Michaels would be out longer than he actually was.

I aren't complaining he came back early, if he can do that shows how much work he put into it. If, yano, the rumours about him faking injury are untrue. I'm complaining he came back and was pushed hugely the second he did.

How does it undermine the talent? He is the biggest face, it was a shock entrance, and it isn't like he came in first, he came in 30th and won the rumble.... His winning didnt affect no one...

But look at the names in that Rumble. Whether he entered 30 or not. I honestly don't think ANYONE should come back to a push that huge after such an absence.

How dont they, he is one more main eventer on the roster, and he is better than the whole roster at what he does...

LMAO, he isn't better than the whole roster at all.

Who did he actually go through? HHH, Kennedy, Henry, and who else? I'd only call one of those great, or even huge

Regardless, their were a lot of big names in that rumble, and I know Cena classes as a big name, but I don't think he should get everything at the click of his fingers.

Seen what? Countless solid matches from the best worker in the entire company? What did you want Cena to do, go out their and wrestle with a torn pec? Not a good move from a business standpoint..

Seen him being pushed to the death of us. Did the WWE not learn? HE lost a lot of fans from everything being so repetitive yet it looks liek it's going to happen again. How many years is that he's been in a title match at mania now?

Maybe it was a work, or dont believe everything that is written on a website...

Well maybe it was work, and I applaud him for doing so well in getting fit again. But no one should be able to come back and just like that win the Rumble.

But shouldn't everyone be happy that WWE went outside of the box for a change, and HHH DIDN"T win AGAIN? I like HHH, but he didn't need the rumble win. Although I was hoping Undertaker would win back to back, but really he doesn't need the win either. Everyone can at least say they got thier money's worth, with a little bonus surprise. If anything, Cena just proved yet again that he delivers everytime, and works his freaking ass off!!

But shouldn't everyone be happy that WWE went outside of the box for a change, and HHH DIDN"T win AGAIN? I like HHH, but he didn't need the rumble win. Although I was hoping Undertaker would win back to back, but really he doesn't need the win either. Everyone can at least say they got thier money's worth, with a little bonus surprise. If anything, Cena just proved yet again that he delivers everytime, and works his freaking ass off!!

I'm also glad HHH didn't win again. But my Christ I'd have liked it a hell of a lot better than Cena winning. Do you honestly think it's fair him returning that very same day and winning the Rumble?

No other wrestlers would get a push like that after just returning from an injury. There wasn't a huge drop in ratings like everyone tries to use, so really the WWE doesn't need Cena as much as everyone says.

I am very glad the WWE thought outside the box, and came up with someone to surprise us with. And as much as I don't like Cena, it was a good choice. However having him winning just made everything seem like a mockery. It was a good event up until that point as well actually.

How did him entering at 30 and winning just like he always used to, prove he works his ass off? He did nothing to deserve this. Even if he'd been back a month and got back into the flow of things. No one is 100% after returning from injury which was apparently so severe. I never even thought the rumour about him actually filming instead of being injured could be true until now where I'm contemplating it.

Ug, people just doooont get it....

Ladies and gentleman, I can say in complete confidence, as a semi pro athlete, and avid weight lifter, and someone with moderately extensive medical training and knowledge of the human anatomy, that it is medically impossible to recover from a torn pectoral that requires INVASIVE SURGERY TO REATTACH in just over three months, and lose little to no muscle mass. John Cena was never injured. It was a work, and I will tell you why.

What group of individuals, as evidenced in this thread, if you look back, most of the people who have a negative reaction towards Cena say "Im just so sick of him being champion, and always in the championship picture"...You think Vince doesnt hear the boos?? You really think the best wrestling promoter of all time is THAT dumb??? SO how does Mcmahon try to fix this, yet, keep his superhero character looking strong?? Dont have him loose, have him be "forced" to "forfeit" the title. Cena doesnt have to loose, they save the payoff of a heated feud for the WM main event, and he gets to step away from the title picture for a little while to get the hate level down. The kiddies and girlies hero doesnt have to loose, and he is put back into the hunter role, to lessen the hate of all the haters. This whole thing was probably conceived a long time ago, when they saw the heat of the feud. How convienient was it that Cena just HAPPENED to get hurt the MONDAY BEFORE No Mercy??? Yea fuckin right lol. I think it just further shows how long this whole thing has been in motion. Another peice of proof I have, is that any kind of muscle tear, ESPECIALLY one that entails invasive surgery, takes AT LEAST 6 to 8 weeks before you can even THINK about starting to seriosly working out again, and CERTAINLEY could NOT maintain the type of physique that Cena posseses. This would also allow Cena a much deserved break away from the ring, as its been said in many places by many people that Cena cuts the meanest schedule in the biz right now.

Cena doesnt look any weaker, so he is still the action hero. He gets put in a more sentimental stance becuase of the "injury" and goes away for a while, to get him out of the title picture, and make him "fresh" again. And they save the payoff of the biggest face VS biggest heel feud for the WM main event. And so far it has all been pulled off to PERFECTION.

I'm also glad HHH didn't win again. But my Christ I'd have liked it a hell of a lot better than Cena winning. Do you honestly think it's fair him returning that very same day and winning the Rumble?

No other wrestlers would get a push like that after just returning from an injury. There wasn't a huge drop in ratings like everyone tries to use, so really the WWE doesn't need Cena as much as everyone says.

I am very glad the WWE thought outside the box, and came up with someone to surprise us with. And as much as I don't like Cena, it was a good choice.However having him winning just made everything seem like a mockery. It was a good event up until that point as well actually.

How did him entering at 30 and winning just like he always used to, prove he works his ass off? He did nothing to deserve this. Even if he'd been back a month and got back into the flow of things. No one is 100% after returning from injury which was apparently so severe. I never even thought the rumour about him actually filming instead of being injured could be true until now where I'm contemplating it.
Maybe he's not 100% recover from his injury but he's close to it because he came back.
WWE lied about his health status. He wasnt severe injured as WWE said.They lied about his injury so they can surprise the fans Its only going to take 4-6 weeksto film the movie & they're going to film it in the U.S. so he can still be on the road with WWE

Well, if it is a work, kudos to WWE for keeping it a secret. That's a rarity nowadays. And what I meant about Cena working his ass off, Becca, is that if it was a real injury, he worked hard through rehab to get back as quickly as possible. And Norcal, they posted videos and photos of the surgery on WWE.com. You could see, even before they went in, his muscle was shriveled up under his skin. I highly doubt this was a work.

I aren't complaining he came back early, if he can do that shows how much work he put into it. If, yano, the rumours about him faking injury are untrue. I'm complaining he came back and was pushed hugely the second he did.
Cena? How was he pushed hugely? Did you see that scar? it was visible... How was Cena pushed hugely, he never lost his title via pinfall he lost his title because he had to forfeit it so he is coming back to claim something he never lost.

But look at the names in that Rumble. Whether he entered 30 or not. I honestly don't think ANYONE should come back to a push that huge after such an absence.
Again it wasnt a big push, he came back and is going to feud for his title, ya no, he never did lose his title via pinfall?

LMAO, he isn't better than the whole roster at all.
that is ridiculous, why has been champ for the better part of two years? tell me please?

Regardless, their were a lot of big names in that rumble, and I know Cena classes as a big name, but I don't think he should get everything at the click of his fingers.
He never lost his title via pinfall. Jericho came back feuded for the title, HBK came back, feuded for the title. Cena never lost his title though therefore he has the right to be feuding for the title right away...

Seen him being pushed to the death of us. Did the WWE not learn? HE lost a lot of fans from everything being so repetitive yet it looks liek it's going to happen again. How many years is that he's been in a title match at mania now?
Big names usually main event the biggest PPV of em all :thumbsup:

Well maybe it was work, and I applaud him for doing so well in getting fit again. But no one should be able to come back and just like that win the Rumble.
Why not? He never lost in the first place, and Orton was still champ, it was the perfect story line... Cena and Orton never finished their feud, and people were mad, now they should be happy because they are finally seeing the conclusion of their feud... Who knows, Orton was a beast chasing the title, maybe Cena will be awesome when chasing the title.

Mighty Norcal said:
Ladies and gentleman, I can say in complete confidence, as a semi pro athlete, and avid weight lifter, and someone with moderately extensive medical training and knowledge of the human anatomy, that it is medically impossible to recover from a torn pectoral that requires INVASIVE SURGERY TO REATTACH in just over three months, and lose little to no muscle mass.
I dont know nothing about it though, but in all honesty, couldnt they have exaggerated his injury? It could have been torn, but not as bad as they said.

It could have been CM Punk, Shelton, or any guy at mid-card status, I said Kennedy, and I said as a face, because he won the MITB and never got his title shot due to his injury and the WWE jumping the gun on him being hurt. The Rumble is used to elevate guys and it has been before and yes it doesn't happen every year but kudos to you for completely missing the point.
No, you are the one who is missing the point. Not just my point, but the point of the Rumble match itself. Is the Rumble match billed as the match where stars are born? Of course not. It's billed as the winner gets a title shot at Wrestlemania. The Rumble is used to build the Wrestlemania main-event. Why would Punk, Shelton or Kennedy ever be in a position to win this year's Rumble? Not one of the three is ready to compete for a main-event title at Wrestlemania.

2006-Mysterio
2005-Batista
2004-Benoit

Just because they got the main-event push, doesn't mean that they weren't ready to main-event before. The point is that every Rumble is used to set up Wrestlemania. Sometimes it coincides with putting a guy over, but sometime it doesn't. How come people were mad like this when HBK and Undertaker were the last two in last year's Rumble. Where was the outrage at not putting over young guys there?

Rumble sets up Wrestlemania, and always has (since 1990). It's not used as a tool to put someone over.
Cena is not incredibly talented, thats like saying Mick Foley is an incredibly talented technical wrestler. Which everyone knows isn't true, but he is good at what he does, and so is Cena, he is good at his selective move set.
How is Cena not talented? Other than not using a bunch of moves in a match (which is irrelevant to being good), what does Cena do that shows he's not good?

Right so if you are loved or hated? then how come Cena isn't loved by everyone? how come he is the only 'face' who is aiming to be a huge babyface to get crowd heat in a long time, he is pretty much in the grey area and not by choice. Thats because the wrestling fans can see through his 'loyalty' crap and see that he isn't as good as a lot of more deserving wrestlers.
Because it's "cool" to boo John Cena, and uncool to like him if you are in the 16-25 age range. I mean, I've yet to find one person who can definitely tell me why they don't think John Cena is a good wrestler, that has anything to do with wrestling ability. People give the "5 moves" and the gimmick...but none of that has to do with his actual ability. Basically, it's the ignorance of the fans that causes that, not his lack of talent.

The fact is that people CARE about Cena. Whether your hate or love him, people care about him, and pay money to see him. Which is what makes him better than the Charlie Haas of the world.

Ok, so if its not having a wider ability in the ring, its their selling ability, and if anyone has actually watched a match with Cena closely, he has the tendancy to be very stiff and his selling ability with different styles of wrestling lacks a lot.
You're saying that John Cena's selling isn't good? Explain that. And try and use something other than the WM23 match to prove it.

Let's put it this way. Cena's selling is so realistic that when he was actually legitimately hurt, it took a while before people even realized it. That's because his selling of an injury, and the actual injury, were so close together.

I should know, I'm a wrestler.
So is Chris Jericho. Read my signature for what Jericho says about Cena. And, I dare say Jericho is slightly more respected, well known and talented than you.

Psychology? Ok, again I'll say it again, I know the psychology of a match, telling a story bleh bleh. Hell I believed the rocks 'peoples elbow' was a credible move, umaga 'thumb to the neck' rubbish is a credible move, however the way Cena sells him fist to the face isn't credible, and it makes me laugh.
Could you please define what it is you think wrestling psychology is?

I also like how you say Umaga's "thumb to the neck rubbish is credible", which totally contradicts yourself when you say it's credible and rubbish in the same sentence. For the record, it's very credible.

I don't know, maybe you are a patriotic american who loves the loyality respect and hustle stuff, or maybe you are just a fan of Cena because you like him, I'm sure you are not the only person to like Cena, but again like I said I can't tell you, why you like him.
I can tell you why. Because he's damn good in the ring, highly entertaining, very professional, works his butt off in and out of the ring, and is a great role model.

Taking the title off Cena would have given Cena the chance to work for the title again, and most people will agree with me here, it's more entertaining to watch someone chasing the title, than to have them hold it for months and months and months and months...
Yes, but for someone to chase the title, they have to chase someone. And it's much more interesting to watch a wrestler chase a title off someone who has held it for months and months and months than someone who just gained the title. It makes the title win more meaningful.

So, to have someone seek the title and chase after it, you have to have someone to hold it. John Cena held it, and everyone kept watching to see if THIS time someone would finally trip him up. Which is why it makes great business sense to keep the title on Cena.

He had to go to Smackdown because Cena wouldn't lose to him, which he should because everyone has to lose eventually, why not be a better guy and put Edge over on Raw, so he didn't have to go over to Smackdown? But perhaps you are right, at least on Smackdown Edge got his rightful place at the top, because Cena wouldn't give it up on Raw.
No offense, but this is completely stupid, and for a couple of reasons. 1) Cena did lose to Edge. He lost to him at Summerslam. 2) If Cena would have lost he would have had to go to Smackdown. That was the stipulation, remember? One got the title, the other left for Smackdown. Cena is the bigger draw so THE WWE DECIDED that Cena would win.

You do realize that Cena doesn't book the matches, correct? He has no control over who wins.

Edge is a talented wrestler, more so than Cena, his gimmick is more entertaining than Cena's. Just my opinion, and I'm sure I'm not alone in sharing that one.
Take away his gimmick matches, and show me three good Edge matches that show that Edge is a good wrestler.

Right if you think Cena moved HBK around in that match, just watch it again, thats all I am saying, and if anyone dares to say Cena is better than HBK in any way, they must be sadly blinded by Cena.
I watched it last night, and before I posted. Maybe you should watch it again?

The only reason that match took place was because that match should have been the one that happened at Wrestlemania.
Oh really. You must be privy to inside information that no one else is? Because I could have swore that all the stories going around at the time were that Orton's being sent home is what caused the drastic change in plans, and not a random rematch. But, you are a wrestler, so clearly you know more. :rolleyes:

In my opinion being made to tap out (to a move Cena against doesn't sell at all well) is less dignified than losing in a pin fall.
Exactly how does Cena not apply the STFU well? Do you even know what move he is applying?

And, a loss is a loss, whether it's a tapout or a pin.

but you are talking about Khali.
Which only makes it all the more amazing Cena got the match out of him that he did.

Well like I said before if a child chooser a wrestler as role model, they need to look else where.
I would much rather have my child use Hulk Hogan or John Cena as a role model than Steve Austin, Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant, Marilyn Manson, 50 Cent, Snoop Dog, or the countless other icons kids today use as role models. At least with Cena they are getting a positive one, who does the right thing.

I mean he doesn't get a full crowd response, where as huge faces in the past have, take for example The Rock, when he was face, you hardly ever heard a 'Rocky Sucks' chant.
You...you have to be kidding me...Wrestlemania 18? Summerslam 2004?

Did you really just say that?
If your going to bitch about Cena you need to be directing your bitching at the booking team, not Cena himself.

Bingo. Perfectly said.

Ug, people just doooont get it....

Ladies and gentleman, I can say in complete confidence, as a semi pro athlete, and avid weight lifter, and someone with moderately extensive medical training and knowledge of the human anatomy, that it is medically impossible to recover from a torn pectoral that requires INVASIVE SURGERY TO REATTACH in just over three months, and lose little to no muscle mass. John Cena was never injured. It was a work, and I will tell you why.

What group of individuals, as evidenced in this thread, if you look back, most of the people who have a negative reaction towards Cena say "Im just so sick of him being champion, and always in the championship picture"...You think Vince doesnt hear the boos?? You really think the best wrestling promoter of all time is THAT dumb??? SO how does Mcmahon try to fix this, yet, keep his superhero character looking strong?? Dont have him loose, have him be "forced" to "forfeit" the title. Cena doesnt have to loose, they save the payoff of a heated feud for the WM main event, and he gets to step away from the title picture for a little while to get the hate level down. The kiddies and girlies hero doesnt have to loose, and he is put back into the hunter role, to lessen the hate of all the haters. This whole thing was probably conceived a long time ago, when they saw the heat of the feud. How convienient was it that Cena just HAPPENED to get hurt the MONDAY BEFORE No Mercy??? Yea fuckin right lol. I think it just further shows how long this whole thing has been in motion. Another peice of proof I have, is that any kind of muscle tear, ESPECIALLY one that entails invasive surgery, takes AT LEAST 6 to 8 weeks before you can even THINK about starting to seriosly working out again, and CERTAINLEY could NOT maintain the type of physique that Cena posseses. This would also allow Cena a much deserved break away from the ring, as its been said in many places by many people that Cena cuts the meanest schedule in the biz right now.

Cena doesnt look any weaker, so he is still the action hero. He gets put in a more sentimental stance becuase of the "injury" and goes away for a while, to get him out of the title picture, and make him "fresh" again. And they save the payoff of the biggest face VS biggest heel feud for the WM main event. And so far it has all been pulled off to PERFECTION.

If all this is true, you're saying Cena wasn't really injured and didn't have to cleanly lose the belt to someone? Jeez it really is getting worse at the WWE. Whether it was to keep an 'image' of him or not, this shouldn't happen and it gives off the impression he just won't cleanly drop the belt. Maybe he got used to it too much? Or maybe McMahon thinks this will suddenly make his like him? Not going to happen, it makes me think he's just a coward.

How if he loses one match would we percieve him as weak? Great wrestlers often lose yet we don't see it as that. This is an awful idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back