What's the difference between Nigel McGuiness and John Cena?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
NOTE!: This is not to discuss whether Cena is good or bad, so try to keep quality of Cena's work to a minimum.

I doubt that makes a difference, but at least I tried.

It's no secret that many smarks do not feel that John Cena is a good wrestler at all. Some of the arguments I have seen against him is that he has a limited moveset, he doesn't "wrestle" meaning that he doesn't work a technical style, and that he uses the same moves every match. And then those same people will turn around and praise ROH and their current champion Nigel McGuiness.

My question is...why?

I mean, I admit I am not a ROH fan, and have only seen 5 or 6 Nigel matches, but it seems to me that every Cena's critics bash him for is the EXACT same thing that occurs in a Nigel McGuiness match, and I would even argue it holds more true for Nigel matches, and that Nigel performs his moves with less conviction than Cena.

I mean, how many moves does Nigel actually do? Tell me a match he has had that doesn't include the diamond cutter off the top rope, numerous lariats, the top rope headstand, etc. Additionally, how much technical wrestling does he do? I have yet to see Nigel do anything that every other wrestler uses.

So, why the double standard? Why do the same people who criticize Cena for his moves and wrestling style praise Nigel McGuiness for working a very similar style?

They are called spots for a reason. Tell me the last time ANY wrestler didn't work a match where they didn't try to "get thier stuff in". I would take more stock in what you said but even you admited you are under exposed to Nigel, there for your comparison is uninformed. Cena works prototype matches and does the FIVE MOVES OF DOOM in the same order every time. I a Nigel match you will get a Tower of London (that the top rope dimond cutter) Jawbreaker Laritat, and the Head stand Mule kick along with a shit load of European Uppercuts, but you won't get them in the same order everytime. He is also much more technicly sound than Cena, as he can also chain wrestle with the best of them. Cena sucks, he is a bad combination of Hogan and the Rock with an urban image to sell T shirts. I could watch 5 cena matche and its the same ol shit, BEAT DOWN, BACK UP, FIVE MOVES OF DOOM!!! lame. Lets face it, we hate Cena cause we are sick of him. He is and overrated chup, who never should of changed his name from Prototype

They are called spots for a reason. Tell me the last time ANY wrestler didn't work a match where they didn't try to "get thier stuff in".
I agree with this. I never said it was a problem.

I would take more stock in what you said but even you admited you are under exposed to Nigel, there for your comparison is uninformed.
Could be. Could you please direct me to a match where I what I posted wasn't true?

Cena works prototype matches and does the FIVE MOVES OF DOOM in the same order every time. I a Nigel match you will get a Tower of London (that the top rope dimond cutter) Jawbreaker Laritat, and the Head stand Mule kick along with a shit load of European Uppercuts, but you won't get them in the same order everytime.
So order of moves now suddenly changes the quality of a wrestler?

Fascinating theory...

He is also much more technicly sound than Cena, as he can also chain wrestle with the best of them.
I don't think I've every seen anything from Nigel that I would classify as a technical wrestling match. Since you are obviously so informed, could you please link me to one.

I have watched a lot of both and really like both. I think Nigel is helped a little by not having to work the crowd as much and can pretty much get away with whatever he wants because it is not on a grand stage.
Both are VERY entertaining. I know Cena is not the most loved ... but love him or hate him he is very enteraining ... I mean just look how much this board has BLOWN up since the Rumble.
I am partial to Cena because I care about charisma and stick work as much as in-ring ability. But I do like both of these guys in the ring. McGuiness gets lots-o-love because of ROH fan boys (which I enjoy some ROH, but I don't think it is heaven on earth or anything)

So basically Ithink the difference starts with passion. I was there at both NYC shows recently to see Nigel wrestle with a badly damaged arm to the point where the rest spots were him standing in a corner and then becasue of the arm injury take a bad head shot that gave him a serious concussion, o and then the match went for over a half hour and probably was the best match I saw live all year and I was at a bunch of wwe shows inculding Survivor Series, the Jericho return night among others. Then the speech the second just felt like every word came from the heart. Now on the other hand Cena comes back from 4 months, just 4 months and I for some reason don't get the same feel for his return speech as say the Jericho one. That passion then goes to the ring. Cena is like O I'm John Cena, prime example Royal Rumble hes number 30 and auto you know he is goign to win. I've seen a lot of Cena's matches as they happen and at no point do I even see a match of his being 3.5 stars. While Nigel who I admantly disliked at first has proceeded to grow on me because whether or not he incorporates certain moves in every match he adapts and throws in little differences and just puts everything into every simple transition. So whenever the RoH ppv comes on I recommend you get it and watch the Nigel/Aries match and realize how much pain he must be in and still see the effort he puts in.

BTW its not simply the 5 moves of doom because he technically the STF that he does very poorly is a 6th move

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back