NFL Thread - 2010-11

That's big, but I still don't think it'll ending being as big as the Sanders injury. You could put virtually anyone out there to play receiver on the Colts (and Pats as well) and Peyton could still throw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. I agree I don't see them going too deep this year though. AFC is really tough, I'd put them behind the Steelers, Ravens, Jets, and Pats at this point and the Texans have already beat them and have the same record.

That's big, but I still don't think it'll ending being as big as the Sanders injury. You could put virtually anyone out there to play receiver on the Colts (and Pats as well) and Peyton could still throw for 4,000 yards and 30 TDs. I agree I don't see them going too deep this year though. AFC is really tough, I'd put them behind the Steelers, Ravens, Jets, and Pats at this point and the Texans have already beat them and have the same record.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I think the Clark injury is bigger because he really has been the 1 constant for Peyton Manning, and as I said, is the one receiver that was mismatch no matter who you have defending him.

Also, Bob Sanders could be back at the end of the year, so he will be able to help the Colts (atrocious) D somewhat. Clark isn't coming back. And really, when was the last time Bob Sanders was healthy? Clark has played in 15 or more games all but 2 years of his career. Sanders has played more then 6 games twice.

As you said though, this might be the best chance the AFC has of keeping Peyton Manning out of the playoffs, since the Texans are playing well, and the Titans are also not dead yet (and there are 4 other teams that look to be better in the Jets/Steelers/Pats/Ravens).

I didn't see the Colts actually making a run to the Super Bowl anyway, so while the jnjury is a big one to the Colts, it doesn't change my view on how far they can go in the playoffs. As was said, there are 4 teams that are just better than them in the Jets/Ravens/Steelers/Patriots. The Texans are a team that's beaten them and could win the division. The Titans are still there. I would add the Dolphins still to the mix. So its tough out there for the Colts to begin with, and this injury won't help. I still think they can make the playoffs, but I don't see them winning a playoff game.

The loss of Dallas Clark is huge. He is Peyton's security blanket and that means the receivers like Garcon and Collie are going to have to step up even more. I see the Colts now going with more 4 wide sets because of this injury. They can still win the division because the Texans are way too inconsistent and the Titans are playing better then I think their talent is but it won't be easy for the Colts this year.

It all depends which TE fills in more for Clark. The biggest problem here was the fact that Clark was able to fill out the slot as well. I think Tamme could come up bigger than most would expect, and again - Peyton can make anyone look like a gem.

However, instead of thinking Garcon & Collie are going to have to step up more, I think it's the running game that's going to have to find a way to join the group in doing something. Collie has already proven he can be a very solid opposite to Wayne. Garcon can make surprise plays but is only heard of every 3-4 games. :wtf: happened to Gonzalez? You know, the guy that originally had the opposite starting spot locked up a year ago. It's as if his injury last year has caused him to completely drop off the face of the Colts depth chart.

THAT.. is how good Peyton Manning is. And further reason why losing Clark, while tough, is not something people should think is an instant "they won't do anything now" moment. Manning will make himself another go-to TE.

It isn't only Clark they are losing. It seems as if Collie (who is having a heck of a year) and Addai could miss some time as well. Though they'll probably only be missing a game or two. Losing Clark will be a slight blow, but Manning will make things work. Whether it is Garcon or Collie who get those passes or a new guy like Tamme, Eldridge, or White, the Colts will still be a upper tier team in the AFC. However with that defense I can't see them going very far come play off time.

If someone was to tell you that after Week 7 of the NFL season, the New York Jets would have the best record in the NFL (tied for it), most people would likely be shocked. Hell, I was rooting for it, and I'm shocked somewhat. I thought they'd be good, but not THIS good, especially offensively. All the talk coming into the season was that the Jets brought in all these malcontents, they talked too much, and it wouldn't work. Through 7 weeks, they have done MUCH more then just back up the talk.

Mark Sanchez's play has improved DRAMATICALLY. LT has been playing pretty close to his prime in San Diego (and seems to have worked his way into the early MVP talks). The line hasn't missed a beat after releasing Alan Faneca. And Dustin Keller might very well be a top 5 or 6 Tight End in the entire league by seasons end if he keeps this pace up. Combine all that with Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Jerricho Cotchery, and that might be one of the top offenses in the league.

The Defense, however, has looked less like the 2009 defense, which dominated the NFL, and has looked more like a very good defense. This is likely because Darelle Revis has been healthy a total of 6 quarters, and in game shape for only 2 of them (not the Raven game, when he only had a week of practice). Every other aspect of the D has been solid. The biggest surprises have been Jason Taylor (especially in his expanded role during weeks 1-4 because of the Calvin Pace injury), Sione Pouha (after replacing Kris Jenkins 6 plays into the season, Sione has been excellent at the nose), and Mike DeVito has played a solid DE along with new-newcomer Trevor Pryce. Antonio Cromartie might have been an even bigger signing then LT, because he has been VERY good, especially when Revis was out, of shutting down #1 receivers as much as possible.

Coming out of the Bye week, Revis should be healthy, and if he comes back to his 2009 form, this D might step it up a few notches, which would mean hell for the rest of the league, especially if the offense can keep up the pace. Prior to the season, I predicted an 11-5 or 12-4 season for Gang Green. Right now, the way they are playing, that might have been low.

If someone was to tell you that after Week 7 of the NFL season, the New York Jets would have the best record in the NFL (tied for it), most people would likely be shocked. Hell, I was rooting for it, and I'm shocked somewhat. I thought they'd be good, but not THIS good, especially offensively. All the talk coming into the season was that the Jets brought in all these malcontents, they talked too much, and it wouldn't work. Through 7 weeks, they have done MUCH more then just back up the talk.

Mark Sanchez's play has improved DRAMATICALLY. LT has been playing pretty close to his prime in San Diego (and seems to have worked his way into the early MVP talks). The line hasn't missed a beat after releasing Alan Faneca. And Dustin Keller might very well be a top 5 or 6 Tight End in the entire league by seasons end if he keeps this pace up. Combine all that with Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, and Jerricho Cotchery, and that might be one of the top offenses in the league.

The Defense, however, has looked less like the 2009 defense, which dominated the NFL, and has looked more like a very good defense. This is likely because Darelle Revis has been healthy a total of 6 quarters, and in game shape for only 2 of them (not the Raven game, when he only had a week of practice). Every other aspect of the D has been solid. The biggest surprises have been Jason Taylor (especially in his expanded role during weeks 1-4 because of the Calvin Pace injury), Sione Pouha (after replacing Kris Jenkins 6 plays into the season, Sione has been excellent at the nose), and Mike DeVito has played a solid DE along with new-newcomer Trevor Pryce. Antonio Cromartie might have been an even bigger signing then LT, because he has been VERY good, especially when Revis was out, of shutting down #1 receivers as much as possible.

Coming out of the Bye week, Revis should be healthy, and if he comes back to his 2009 form, this D might step it up a few notches, which would mean hell for the rest of the league, especially if the offense can keep up the pace. Prior to the season, I predicted an 11-5 or 12-4 season for Gang Green. Right now, the way they are playing, that might have been low.

I have also been Very Impressed with the Jets I thought we would be a Very Good Team but I didn't expect to be Tied with the Best Record in the League. LT has been Great the whole year and has proven that he is not finished yet. Mark Sanchez has improve Greatly from last Year he has 9 TDs and only 2 Ints. The Offense Line has been Great and is one of the Best in the NFL. The Receivers have been much better then last year, Keller is playing great, Edwards is doing good and with Holmes getting into the mix the offense can be one of the best's in Football. The Defense has been pretty good but not as good as last year. Revis has been Hurt, Jenkins is gone for the season but alot of people have stepped up, Cromartie is playing excellent, Talyor was a really good pick up and Pohua is doing a good filling in for Jenkins. I'm Very Excited for the rest of the Season and I think the Jets have a really good chance of ending the year at 12-4 0r 13-3

Titans looked good out there against the Eagles. Everyone harped on me when I predicted the Titans to go 10-6 or 11-5 plus them sweeping the NFC East and look at how things have turned out. Titans are 5-2 and so far 3-0 against the NFC East.

Titans looked good out there against the Eagles. Everyone harped on me when I predicted the Titans to go 10-6 or 11-5 plus them sweeping the NFC East and look at how things have turned out. Titans are 5-2 and so far 3-0 against the NFC East.

They've won 12 straight games against NFC teams.

Britt looked amazing today, and he had almost all of Collins's pass yards. The defense played pretty good and is still getting a lot of pressure on the QB, and Dave Ball and Jason Babin both have 6 sacks. Michael Griffin has 4 INTS on the season, tying him for 2nd most in the league. CJ2K and Britt both have 7 touchdowns on the season, tying them for 2nd most in the AFC.

I feel that the Titans are probably the most underrated team in the league and can play great with either QB on the field.

Have to say I'm happy with the 'Skins win yesterday. It wasn't pretty, but the defense did its job. Hall finally made news for his play, tying an NFL record with 4 INTs off Cutler. McNabb had another solid performance. Shanahan has made a big difference with this team, even though we are 4-3. This is the type of game we would have lost (and did lose) last season. He's come in and changed this team for the better. Hell, even Haynesworth got in on the action.

Now, for my regular 49ers recap. they suck. The end. No, but in all seriousness, this was a game they should have won. The Panthers are a terrible team who have no idea who they starting QB should be. They pick Matt Moore. This defense should have ate his alive. Didn't happen. Smith goes down with an injury, and I'm sure all 49ers fans were happy because that meant he was out of the game and they got to see Carr. Well, hope that was worth it for Niner fans. Carr stunk up the joint and unfortuntely it looks like they are stuck with him for a while. I don't see things getting better, and Singletary should feel lucky as hell that the Giants are in the World Series or else he would have tons of heat on his ass.

Week 7 Review

Well I get to start with the Bills again, oh joy! Bills came out with a vengeance, going up 24-10 against the Ravens, only to let them score 24 unanswered points. Bills battled back for once and tied the game up with 4 seconds remaining. In OT they stop Baltimore, get the ball back, then turn it over on their 29 yard line, Ravens kick the winning FG, win 37-34. Great game by Buffalo's offense, Fitzpatrick throwing for 374 yards with 4 TD's and 2 picks. Lee Evans with a huge day 6 catches for 106 yards with 3 TD's, and Stevie Johnson continuing to break out with 8 catches for 158 yards and a TD, making that 4 straight games with a TD. On the other side Flacco had a good day with 250 yards passing with 3 TD's. Heap with 2 TD's. Ed Reed in his first game of the season had 2 interceptions.

Atlanta vs. Cinci. - In a game that had Atlanta up 24-3 at the half, Cinci rallied in the 3rd quarter to score 24 unanswered points and take the lead 25-24. Atlanta scored to TD's in the fourth to Cinci's one to win the game. After a rocky first half, Palmer settled down and went off, ended up with 412 passing yards with 3 TD's. Rookie Jordan Shipley had his best game as a pro yet, with 6 catches for 131 yards with a TD. Ochocinco had his best game since week one with 10 catches for 108 yards and a TD. Matt Ryan had a solid game with 299 passing yards with 3 TD's and a pick, 3/4 of those yards went to Roddy White who had 11 catches for 201 yards with 2 TD's. Hit or miss Michael Turner was back on track with 121 rushing yards with 2 TD's.

Skins vs. Bears - In a game that we saw the Cutler of last season, throwing four picks all to DeAngelo Hall, with the last one going 92 yards for the game winning TD for Washington. Cutler ended up with 281 yards passing with a TD and those 4 picks. Forte was nonexistent once again. On the other side McNabb had a decent game throwing for 200 yards with a TD and 2 picks. Torain had his second straight 100 yard rushing game with 125 yards.

Titians vs. Philly - Titians exploded for 27 points in the fourth quarter to beat Philly 37-19. Kerry Collins stepping in for Vince Young played quite well, throwing for 276 yards with 3 TD's and 2 picks. All but 51 yards went to Kenny Britt who had 7 catches for 225 yards and all three passing TD's, thats five straight games that Britt has caught a TD. CJ had a relatively quiet game with only 66 rushing yards. Kevin Kolb ended up with 231 passing yards with a TD and 2 picks. Interesting to see where the team goes when Mike Vick steps back in after their bye week.

Chiefs vs. Jags. - Chiefs stay looking good winning 42-20. Cassel with a good game with 193 yards passing with 2 TD's. Thomas Jones with back to back 100 yard rushing games, recording 125 yards in this game with a TD, Charles added 71 himself with a TD. Bowe only had 3 catches, but 2 were for TD's, ended up with 81 yards. Todd Bouman playing for injured Garrard was able to at least get the Jags over 200 passing yards, with 222 yards with 2 TD's and 2 picks. MJD didn't get much going on the ground, so he took to the air and caught 5 passes for 74 yards and a TD.

Steelers vs. Miami - In a very close game the Steelers squeaked out with a 23-22 win. Big Ben had another strong performance in his second game back with 302 passing yards with 2 TD's. Hines Ward with his best game of the season so far, with 7 catches for 131 yards and a TD. Hene had a good game with 257 yards and a TD. Bess caught another TD pass, making that 3 straight games for him. Steelers D were able to contain Marshall as he only had 5 catches for 57 yards.

Browns vs. Saints - Could end up being the biggest upset of the season as the Browns won 30-17. 2 of Brees' 4 picks were returned for TD's which proved to be costly. Thats now 8 picks for Brees in the 3 games. He still ended up with 356 passing yards with 2 TD's. Colston had a big day with 10 catches for 112 yards and a TD. Chris Ivory was held to only 48 yards rushing after his big week last week. Colt McCoy was held to only 74 passing yards. After 2 weeks of being bothered by his thigh injury Peyton Hillis had a decent game with 69 yards rushing with a TD. Fujita had a big game against his former team recording 11 tackles with a sack and a pick.

Rams vs. Bucs - In a game that the Rams were up 17-3, they let the Bucs score 15 unanswered points to win the game, with the final blow coming in the last 10 seconds when Cadillac Williams caught a 1 yards pass from Freeman. Freeman ended up with 212 passing yards with the TD. Rookie Mike Williams had another decent game with 5 catches for 82 yards. For the Rams S.Jack had his third straight 100 yard rushing game with 110 yards. Bradford had his second game in a row without any picks but also had the least amount of passing yards of the season so far, with only 126 yards, he did add 2 TD's though.

Panthers vs. 49ers - Matt Moore's pick to the house almost proved to be costly as that gave the 49ers the lead, but the Panthers scoring 10 points under the final 2 minutes to give them the win and their first of the season, leaving just the Bills as the only winless team. Besides the pick 6 Moore had a very good game, throwing for 308 yards with 2 TD's. Rookie David Gettis broke out with 8 catches for 125 yards and 2 TD's. Panthers backfield still isn't producing like they should. Alex Smith was off to a solid start before he injured his shoulder and David Carr replaced him, only to throw a pick that set up the winning FG for Carolina. After no TD's in the first 3 games, Vernon Davis scored one in 4 straight games now. He finished the game with 4 catches for 74 yards with the TD. Gore had 102 rushing yards and 5 catches for 57 yards.

Seattle vs. Arizona - Seattle won thanks to 5 Orlindo Mare FG's and 5 Arizona turnovers. The QB's woes continue in Arizona as Max Hall was knocked out of the game with only having 36 yards passing, leaving the game in the hands of Derek Anderson who actually didn't do to bad gaining 96 yards in 2 quarters. Hasselbeck was alright with 192 yards passing with a TD. Marshawn Lynch had 89 rushing yards. Mike Williams had 11 catches for 89 yards and a TD. With the win Seattle is back in first place in the NFC West.

Oakland vs. Denver - With 24 1st quarter points, only 14 in the 2nd, then another 21 in the 3rd, the Raiders routed Denver 59-14!!! In McFadden's first game in two weeks, he went off for 165 rushing yards with 3 TD's and added 2 catches for 31 yards and a TD. Jason Campbell continued his up/down season this game being good, with 204 passing yards with 2 TD's.

Patriots vs. Chargers - Well the Chargers had a chance to tie the game but Kris Brown missed a 50 yard FG. Turnovers again cost S.D. the game with turning the ball over 4 times. Rivers still had a big game despite another loss with 336 yards with a TD and a pick. Crayton had another solid week filling in for injured Floyd wit 7 catches for 82 yards. Gates had 4 catches for 50 yards and a TD. Their running game failed to produce yet again, totaling just 38 yards. For the Patriots, they only had 40 yards offensively in the first half, but hung on for the win despite letting the Chargers back into the game in the 4th quarter, letting them score 17 points. Brady had only 159 yards with a TD.

Vikings vs. Packers - Pretty good Sunday night game. Questionable calls by the Officials were a big part of this game. Besides that 2 of the 3 picks thrown by Favre were turned into points by the Packers which ended being the go ahead points. Rodgers played pretty good throwing for 295 yards with 2 TD's and 2 picks. Jackson had 58 rushing yards with a TD and 3 catches for 46 yards. James Jones had 4 catches for 107 yards. Jennings had 6 catches for 76 yards with a TD. Favre had another tough day with only 212 passing yards a TD and the 3 picks also, was knocked down a few times pretty hard, banging up his knee. AP ran well with 131 rushing yards and a TD. Harvin was solid with 5 catches for 65 yards and 3 rushes for 41 yards with a TD. Moss had 3 for 30 and a TD.

No, but in all seriousness, this was a game they should have won.

No, it wasn't. The Niners did exactly what I predicted them to do. They got a big head, because they finally won a game - and it cost them more in the end.

The past few meetings between these two teams, Carolina (and more specifically John Fox) has had their number. Anyone thinking SF had this in the bag needs to understand sometimes, regardless how bad a team is playing, sometimes you just run up against that one Coaching Staff that simply understands how to beat you.

The Panthers are a terrible team who have no idea who they starting QB should be.

Untrue. The Panther's are a young, unexperienced team. Not terrible, just lacking in knowledge. They have one solid WR, and nothing opposite him. Until Sunday, when David Gettis shined a little hope toward the future. (and, honestly has been giving people glimmers throughout this year)

Carolina, believe it or not, upgraded their QB situation when they cut Delhomme. As sad as I was to see him go, it was simply time. Even if he would've been with us, that wouldn't of helped anymore or less. People give Carolina shit because of youth at the QB position - but what most of those people fail to do, is understand it isn't youth and inexperience, it's the lack of weapons surrounding him.

Matt Moore showed everyone last year he could be good. He was the second best QB in all of December, only behind Philip Rivers. He put up better numbers than anyone else; including Manning (either), Brady, and Brees. (No, that doesn't mean he's greater - it just means he's not shit)

They pick Matt Moore. This defense should have ate his alive. Didn't happen.

The thing that was proven the most in this game is this..

When Carolina feels they have nothing to play for. (ie. Playoffs) Matt Moore has no pressure to be a mega Superstar. I honestly believe he sucked it up in the first two games, because of lack of options and the pressure to be the sole guy who HAD to win those games. He tossed up tons of picks, because he forced the ball to Smith - due to simply feeling he had no other options.

When he returned to the starting spot, not only was a fire lit under his ass that he could easily lose it to anyone else (Pike, anyone?) but he also understood that now, with Carolina being 0-5 coming in - it's almost positive they aren't making the playoffs - thus, there's no solid pressure to be the sole guy who MUST win the game. And yet, ironically, he's the reason we won the game - because of his passing.

Smith goes down with an injury, and I'm sure all 49ers fans were happy because that meant he was out of the game and they got to see Carr. Well, hope that was worth it for Niner fans. Carr stunk up the joint and unfortuntely it looks like they are stuck with him for a while.

I'm not a Niners fan; but was licking my chops when I noticed David Carr was coming in. Don't think for a moment I wasn't happy as shit, to see the former fuck-up who made me miserable a couple years back; thinking he was going to be such a great back-up to Delhomme, only to fail us.

I can say from personal experience. Anytime you're hoping to see David Carr take over your team.. you might as well hope for death, because it'll be less painful.

I don't see things getting better, and Singletary should feel lucky as hell that the Giants are in the World Series or else he would have tons of heat on his ass.

This I actually don't agree with. Singletary, like John Fox, is a good (or even great) HC. Just because the team isn't winning like they were predicted, doesn't mean he's shit, or bad. He's full of passion, and desire.

SF would be stupid to fire him. Just like Carolina, unless they know for a fact they can somehow get Cowher (and he'll somehow make things better, which can't be guaranteed) would be stupid to let Fox go.

Now.. Jeff Davidson, the Panthers Offensive Coord. Yeah, his ass needs FIRED.

No, it wasn't. The Niners did exactly what I predicted them to do. They got a big head, because they finally won a game - and it cost them more in the end.

The past few meetings between these two teams, Carolina (and more specifically John Fox) has had their number. Anyone thinking SF had this in the bag needs to understand sometimes, regardless how bad a team is playing, sometimes you just run up against that one Coaching Staff that simply understands how to beat you.

Actually it was. They had the better offense, well, at least better weapons, with Davis, Crabtree and Gore. Defense is suppose to be good. The Panthers were winless. Should have been a game they won. I didn't think they had it in the bag, because as we have learned this season, nothing is a given. But having said that, this game was one the 49ers should have won.

Untrue. The Panther's are a young, unexperienced team. Not terrible, just lacking in knowledge. They have one solid WR, and nothing opposite him. Until Sunday, when David Gettis shined a little hope toward the future. (and, honestly has been giving people glimmers throughout this year)

Carolina, believe it or not, upgraded their QB situation when they cut Delhomme. As sad as I was to see him go, it was simply time. Even if he would've been with us, that wouldn't of helped anymore or less. People give Carolina shit because of youth at the QB position - but what most of those people fail to do, is understand it isn't youth and inexperience, it's the lack of weapons surrounding him.

Matt Moore showed everyone last year he could be good. He was the second best QB in all of December, only behind Philip Rivers. He put up better numbers than anyone else; including Manning (either), Brady, and Brees. (No, that doesn't mean he's greater - it just means he's not shit)

Well, when young, inexperienced teams like the Chiefs, Browns, Bucs and whatnot are winning games, hard to see why the Panthers hadn't won one before the 49er game. Especially in this God awful NFC. While I can understand your point of view (even if its just because they're your team), I still think they aren't a decent team. Not enough to beat the Niners. Or, at least, so I thought.

At any rate you say there are no weapons on that team, and I agree. Which is why I think they are a terrible team right. The Panthers have Smith and who else? No one. They don't have a good defense, offense (again, because lack of weapons) which to me makes them a terrible team. Does that mean they can't improve? Of course not. But as of Sunday before the game, they were a terrible team.

The thing that was proven the most in this game is this..

When Carolina feels they have nothing to play for. (ie. Playoffs) Matt Moore has no pressure to be a mega Superstar. I honestly believe he sucked it up in the first two games, because of lack of options and the pressure to be the sole guy who HAD to win those games. He tossed up tons of picks, because he forced the ball to Smith - due to simply feeling he had no other options.

When he returned to the starting spot, not only was a fire lit under his ass that he could easily lose it to anyone else (Pike, anyone?) but he also understood that now, with Carolina being 0-5 coming in - it's almost positive they aren't making the playoffs - thus, there's no solid pressure to be the sole guy who MUST win the game. And yet, ironically, he's the reason we won the game - because of his passing.

The way I was looking at it was, this 49ers defense still have those good players who can wreck havoc on a bad offense. And with no weapons outside of Smith, this team does have a bad offense. While Moore may play better with no pressure, that doesn't change the fact that this Niner defense should have come out on top. This was suppose to be the strength of this team, and playing against an inexperienced QB who hasn't been getting regualr playing time is a recipe for big day for a defense.

I'm not a Niners fan; but was licking my chops when I noticed David Carr was coming in. Don't think for a moment I wasn't happy as shit, to see the former fuck-up who made me miserable a couple years back; thinking he was going to be such a great back-up to Delhomme, only to fail us.

I can say from personal experience. Anytime you're hoping to see David Carr take over your team.. you might as well hope for death, because it'll be less painful.

I'm not a 49er fan either, but was curious to see how Carr would perform. And he played like he always has, like shit.

I forgot you guys had him in Carolina. Yea, death is a better option than Carr at this point. Smith has been bad, granted, but Carr makes Smith look like he's Steve Young out there. At any rate, you won't hear his name being called out anymore, although they might be stuck with him for another couple weeks.

This I actually don't agree with. Singletary, like John Fox, is a good (or even great) HC. Just because the team isn't winning like they were predicted, doesn't mean he's shit, or bad. He's full of passion, and desire.

SF would be stupid to fire him. Just like Carolina, unless they know for a fact they can somehow get Cowher (and he'll somehow make things better, which can't be guaranteed) would be stupid to let Fox go.

Now.. Jeff Davidson, the Panthers Offensive Coord. Yeah, his ass needs FIRED.

Will, I know you did not just call Singletary a great HC. What has he done? He's filled with passion and desire? Since when has that replaced winning on the list of what you want out of your HC?

And it has nothing to with winning like they were predicted to, it has to do with winning like they expected to. This 49ers team expected to win the division. Singletary said it, the Yorks said. And guess what? They have 1 win this season, and that win wasn't because they played good, but because the Raiders played that bad. Whether you agree with it or not, the HC will always get the blame for losing. And if Singletary can't win the division with this team, then they need to bring in someone who can. And I guarantee they will make a change. The only reason they won't do it during the season is because they have no one on the staff they want to elevate to interm HC.

LJL's Trio of Observations

1. Every team has been competitive this season, even the winless Bills. The Bills remind me of the 2008 Lions in the fact that they may be the worst team on paper but not out on the field. I don't even thin the Lions were the worst in history because they were competitive in almost every game. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills have a winning record the rest of the way because the talent is there.

2. It looks like it is the end of the line for Norv Turner if they don't make the playoffs. The thing Turner has done that Schottenheimer didn't do enough of is win playoff games but these slow starts to season are ridiculous. You cannot turn it on every season and it's starting to catch up. I don't see San Diego winning eight out of its last nine games because a 9-7 record in the AFC isn't going to cut it.

3. I've been really impressed with Colt McCoy going against the Saints and Steelers completing 65% of his passes. I don't know how many more games he is going to start this season but I wouldn't rule out him winning the starting job next year because we've seen how Delhomme is. McCoy has my admiration.

Ok so I'm a Texans fan. I acknowledge we play in the hardest division in football the AFC South. I acknowledge that while we have a tremondous offense, the best wide receiver in football, and a top ten quarterback, and while we have one of the best up and comers in the league in Arian Foster. Our defense has not been up to par this year. In fact I would say it has been abysmal. If you play defense like that it is hard to win games. We have been finding ways to squeak by but now with Demeco Ryans out things will only get worse. We have the banged up Colts Monday. I know they have alot of injuries on offense, I know their defense is just as suspect as ours. But this is the Colts were talking about. This is Peyton Manning. We have beaten them two times out of like twenty. They are at home and we already beat them once this year. Odds of sweeping Peyton Manning for anyone, next to none. So I'm gonna continue to enjoy the improvements we have been making this year but I'm not gonna hold my breath come Monday.

Ok so I'm a Texans fan. I acknowledge we play in the hardest division in football the AFC South.

WHC, this isn't regarding you (specifically) but instead everyone who has used this statement. Why is it that everyone believes the toughest division in Football, just so happens to be the same division their favorite team is in?

Look, I've even said it a time or two. I'm a Panthers fan, thats the NFC South along with Atlanta (5-2), New Orleans (4-3 - defending Superbowl Champs) & Tampa Bay (4-2). Now, if a so-called "toughest division" is based off win/loss records - then how is the AFC South, much different from the NFC South?

Furthermore.. what makes either of those divisons tougher than the likes of the..

NFC East: New York Giants (5-2), Washington (4-3) & Philly (4-3), along with Dallas which shares the same record as Carolina. (1-5)

And since I might as well break the other divisions down..

Just because the AFC & NFC West(s) don't have the top winning teams, doesn't make their divisions any less tough. Infact, it's normally those divisions that go all the way to Week 17 before a Division champion is crowned.

So, can someone please explain to me what makes any one division tougher than all the rest?

Pretty simple Will, what makes a division the toughest is how hard it is to get a win in the division. Either that or it's the hardest division to win for your team. SO I think almost every division has a stake at being the toughest, except for the fact that a certain division can play teams in another division and just man handle them. I'm sure you have more to say about it and wasn't asking a genuine question, but I bit, I'll await your reply.

There isn't necessarily a clear cut "best division" every year. Some years there's one division that stands out over the others but usually there can be a lot of debate over which is the best. It's especially hard to tell this early in the season. This year the NFC South, NFC East, AFC South, and AFC East all can stake claim as being the best division and all 4 divisions would have a legitimate case.

I'd go as best division at this point. They have two of the top 5 teams in the league with the Pats and Jets as well as another very solid in Miami whose suffered some real tough losses at the end. The Bills are shit, but every division has a shit team.

I really don't think you can make a case for and NFC division because the AFC is clearly the much better conference. Legitimately 8 of the top 10 teams in the NFL are in the AFC. That's astounding.

I am very impressed by two rookies this year those being Ndamukong Suh and Sam Bradford. Suh has 6.5 sacks already this season which is amazing as most veteran defensive tackles dont get that ever in a season because the defensive tackles job is to occupy blockers and usually faces double teams.

Bradford on the other hand is so mature that it is scary. He does not have the eye popping stats but look who he has to throw to. I was watching the game today and noticed that he rarely took any unnecessary hits if any at all. Get some good receivers around him and he will be scary good.

In regards to the question about toughest division, I think it has to do with the quality of teams. Yes the NFC could be considered tough because they are close together. But the fact is they suck and really wouldn't be considered tough. When looking at the AFC South, for example, every team is capable of beating a top team, and being a playoff team. You have the Colts, Texans, Titans, and Jags. All teams that have played well and are winning rather consistantly. Even with a win its tough to get ahead in that division. That, I guess to me, would be the difference when talking about the toughest division.

Now for my look at the Week.

I sort of disscussed this in Big's new thread, but Shanahan made a really stupid decision. In no way, shape or form do you sit McNabb for Grossman. I mean, terrible decision. The Redskins still had a chance to win the game and decided to go with Grossman, because he "knew the offense more". A shit answer. McNabb is miles better than Grossman, and had a much better chance of leading the Redskins than Grossman. I'm sure tdigs agrees with that.

And it looks like the Raiders are who we thought they could be. They started the season of looking..well, eh. Now after stomping the Broncos and beating the Seahawks, they sit at 4-4 and have a shot to make things real interesting by beating the Chiefs next week. The offense is absolutely clicking, with McFadden running for 111 yards and Campbell throwing for over 300 yards and 2 TDs. The defense just killed the Seahawks, getting 8 sacks and giving up only 167 yard of offense. They are rolling and have a big date next week.

The 49ers won in London, getting a win over the Broncos. A much needed win. Although I don't think they are going to get back in the race, they still have somewhat of a shot. Troy Smith actually looked pretty good in the 2nd half, and was without Davis. Gore had another good game rushing the ball. Granted, this was against the Broncos, but if Smith can continue this play, he should be looked at to continue to start over Alex.

Week 8 Review

Well the Bills, for the second straight week found themselves in OT with a chance to win their first game of the season, but didn't thanks to Haley calling a timeout to ice Lindell, who made the 53 yard kick, but missed on the next try. Even going back to the end of regulation the Bills had a chance to win, but Fitzpatrick threw a costly interception on a pass that slipped out of his hand, and floated right into Berry's hands. I was still happy for the Bills even though they lost, because it was the first time they didn't allow 30+ points scored on them in 5 weeks. Though they still can't stop any teams run game, as they allowed another team to run for over 200 yards rushing. Charles had 177 yards and Jones had 77 yards. Charles was also the Chiefs leading receiver with 4 catches for 61 yards.

Miami beat the Bengals 22-14, thanks to 5 FG's made by Carpenter and a 4th quarter rushing TD by Ricky Williams. The Bengals offense just fizzled away in the second half of the game after leading at the end of the first half 14-12. Palmer, after coming off his huge week last week throwing for over 400 yards, threw for his lowest amount of yards this season with 156 yards with 2 TD's and a pick. TO had both of the Bengals TD's, ended the game with 5 catches for 65 yards. Henne had a okay game, nothing special with 217 yards and a pick. Marshall had another average game with 5 catches for 64 yards.

Jaguars romped Dallas 35-17. Looks like the concussion Garrard sustained, knocked him into playing better as he went over 200 passing yards for the first time this season, throwing for 260 yards and 4 TD's also running one in. MJD went off for 135 rushing yards. Sims-Walker also showed up this week catching 8 passes for 153 yards and a TD. Lewis had 2 catches for 51 yards, both catches were for TD's. Kitna threw for 379 yards, but had 4 picks to go with the yards and one TD. The Cowboys had no rushing game yet again as they totaled just 50 yards. Miles Austin ended up 7 catches for 117 yards. Witten ended up with 10 catches for 97 yards and a TD.

Lions beat the Skins 37-25 in a fourth quarter shootout. In Stafford's first game back since the shoulder injury, he threw 4 TD's with 212 passing yards and a pick. Calvin Johnson with a big game catching 9 passes for 101 yards and 3 TD's. Suh continues to break out as a stud at DT with two more sacks and a fumble recovery ran back for a TD. McNabb had a rough game being sacked 6 times, with only 210 passing yards with a TD and a pick. He was however the Skins leading rusher with 45 yards. Shanny went ahead and benched McNabb in favor for Rex Grossman late in the game, in a move that was pretty dumb, as that does nothing to help Mcnabb's confidence in leading his team back.

Rams beat the Panthers 20-10. Sam Bradford continues to play well, making this the third straight week he didn't throw a pick, he ended the game with 191 yards passing with 2 TD's. Matt Moore had a complete different game from last week, as he threw for 194 yards with a TD and 3 picks. The turnovers in the 4th quarter hurt the Panthers as they were turned into 10 points for the Rams.

Packers beat the Jets 9-0, thanks to Crosby's 3 FG's. The high winds were to blame in Sanchez over throwing a lot of his receivers and Folk missing a FG. It was the second straight week that Sanchez has thrown 2 picks, after throwing none in the first 5 weeks. Despite the winds, he still managed to match his season high in passing yards with 256. Rodgers also didn't have the prettiest of games, as he only had 170 passing yards. Matthews recored another sack, giving him 9.5 now on the year.

In another boring game until the 4th quarter, the 49ers picked up their 2nd win of the season beating the Broncos 24-16 in the London game. Troy Smith who got the start ahead of Carr, game alive in the 4th quarter throwing a TD and rushing one in, he ended the game with 12/19 passing for 196 yards with the passing and rushing TD's. Gore continued to run the ball well, rushing for over 100 yards for the third straight week, gaining 118 yards and the ground and his first rushing TD since week 2. Crabtree caught his 3rd receiving TD of the season, ended up with 3 catches for 53 yards. Walker who had to step in for Davis after he got his ankle banged up again, ended up being the leading receiver with 5 catches for 85 yards. Orton was back to throwing for over 300 yards again, throwing for 369 yards with a TD and a pick. Lloyd was back as well catching 7 passes for 169 yards and a TD. Although Tim Tebow hasn't thrown a pass yet in the NFL, he did rush in his second rushing TD of the season. For the Broncos this was their 4 straight loss after starting out 2-2.

In a close game the Chargers snapped a three game losing streak, beating the Titians 33-25. Vince Young injured his ankle again, after missing a week, late in the game. He was having his best game of the season, throwing for 253 yards and 2 TD's before leaving. Johnson had only 59 rushing yards, but did score a TD. With Kenny Britt going down early with a hamstring injury, Nate Washington stepped up and had his best game of the season with 4 catches for 117 yards and a TD. Rivers had a solid day with 305 yards with 2 TD's and a pick. Tolbert and Matthews each had a rushing TD. Gates' injured toe seemed not to hinder him at all, as he had 5 catches for 123 yards and a TD.

The Raiders get to .500, winning their second game in a row by blowing out the streaky Seahawks 33-3. Thats 92 points scored by Oakland the last two games!! Campbell had a great game, throwing for 310 yards with 2 TD's. McFadden added 111 rushing yards, thats 4 out of 6 games he played in this year he went over the century mark, one of those games he didn't he had 95 yards. Heyward-Bly actually played like a top 10 pick, catching 5 passes for 105 yards and a TD also, had a 30 yard rush. Bush added 51 rushing yards with a TD and a catch for 55 yards. Seattle's offense was shit. Hasselbeck had a QB rating of 43.8 only 160 passing yards with a pick. The team failed to gain over 50 rushing yards.

Patriots beat the Vikings 28-18. Favre left in the 4th quarter with a busted chin that needed eight stitches. Jackson stepped in and got the Vikings within a FG of tying the game with a 1 yard TD pass and converted a 2 point conversion. But Green-Ellis put the game away late in the 4th with his second rushing TD of the game, he ended the game with 117 rushing yards with the 2 TD's. Brady had a good game, throwing for 240 yards and a TD. Tate received most of the yards as he caught 3 passes for 101 yards and a TD. Favre broken ankle and all, still managed to put up 259 yards with a pick. AP gained 92 rushing yards with a TD and had 5 catches for 50 yards. Percy Harvin had a nice game with 6 catches for 104 yards. The Moss move continues to be nothing special as he has performed less and less since being traded back, this week he only had 1 catch for 8 yards.

The Bucs are now 5-2 (yes that right) after beating the Cards 38-35. Josh Freeman continues to look good out there. He had 278 passing yards with a TD. Blount taking over as the starting RB has been making the most of it, after 72 yards last week, he came back to rush for 120 yards and score 2 TD's. My Buffalo boy Mike Williams, is continuing to become a solid receiver, getting his first 100 game of his career with 4 catches for 104 yards and a TD. In the flip flop of starting QB's in Arizona, Max Hall was benched after he had to picks housed early in the game. Anderson took over and actually gained some decent yards but also threw 2 picks himself. He finished with 234 yards with a TD and the 2 picks. Breaston had a big game catching 8 passes for 147 yards. Fitzgerald had 6 catches for 76 yards with 2 TD's. I guess you just flip a coin to see who to start at QB in Arizona.

The Sunday night game was all defense until the 4th quarter (something about 4th qt's this week) as the Saints scored two TD's to the Steelers one, to win the game 20-10. Brees rebounded back from that bad week against Cleveland with 305 passing yards 2 TD's and only 1 pick. Colston and Moore caught the TD's passes. Big Ben was alright having only 195 passing yards with a pick. Mendenhall had another good week rushing for 71 yards and a TD.

James Harrison is once again under the spotlight for another "illegal hit", albeit this time instead of complaining about any type of fines or suspensions - I'm coming to complain about the so-called video proof nfl.com has up.

He was fined $20,000 for a hit that nfl.com has a video of - in which he's sacking Drew Brees. The fine was deemed for an illegal helmet-to-back hit, which was called "a late hit after he got rid of the ball". The only problem is - the video is of Harrison SACKING Brees, from the front; while he still has (obviously) the ball in his hands.

Now, I'm not saying Harrison didn't do something illegal at some other point in that game. Knowing his status and attitude, it wouldn't shock me. But at least get the fucking video of the 'moment' right.

Harrison also met with the Commish on Tuesday, to discuss everything (including Sunday's fine against him for the hit on Brees). My guess is the reason we've not seen more bitching from Harrison, namely for this fine (besides the nfl.com report he gave from first getting fined) is because the Commish likely told him if he throws another tantrum he's gone.

So.. Roy Williams and Jon Kitna must have been reliving their Detroit days, as Williams pulled a Kitna and told the media that the.. .. 1-6.. .. Cowboys, can (and apparently will) run the table and make the playoffs. :lmao:

If they were in the North, or West, it's completely possible. But not in the East, which they're in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back