NFL Thread - 2010-11

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. For what its worth, I actually have played Football in school before, and not once did our HC ever tell any of our players to go out and "try hurting someone".

Well no shit. But you're telling me none of your fellow players wanted to hurt someone on the field? All the football players I've met take pride in that shit, they love hitting somebody so hard it hurts. Like I said, it's fun.

Uhm, no? You go out to play, have fun, and in the Professional realm of the game - win to make money. Not attempt injuring others and ending their careers. Thats just unsportsmanlike. Actually, what makes Defensive plays fun would be watching turnovers, and legal big hits. Ya know, the type that aren't considered intent to injure.

Member when Harrison said that he doesn't want to injure people? He never said he wanted to end someone's career, he just said he loves hurting people, nothing wrong with that. And do you honestly think that most guys don't just love hurting people? C'mon man.

When a player (Harrison, in this case) is actually going out and telling the media he's willingly going out to 'hurt' (not injure, albeit there's a really thin line between the two) it's a serious concern the league needs to have.

Nothing that anyone in the NFL hasn't heard before, I'm suprised you're so outraged that a football player wants to hurt somebody (OMG).

I won't disagree that I've 'popped' for big hits, and even the illegal ones. But I'm not about to say I agree with them. As a fan watching, its what you do - you enjoy violence in this sport, and (especially if your team is the one delivering it) you want to see more. But on the flip side, I'm more than sure if the hits are coming against your team - you're up and screaming at the television for a flag and an ejection.

Well yea, but that goes for every single penalty againest my team, not just illegal hits.

I question you being a Steelers fan, but besides that more so just naive and uncaring in the well being of others.

I'm not a Steelers fan, don't know how you came up with that. And I'm not uncaring of people, if someone willingly wants to play NFL football they oughta know that 99% of the guys out there are wanting to fuck you up on every single down, I feel no symapthy for a guy who gets the wind knocked out of him, or gets KO'd for a second. That stuff is expected.

Why don't you try going out onto the field, taking one of those 'hurtful hits' and coming back to tell me you still enjoyed being apart of it - then watching the guy who hit you, talking about how much he enjoyed it and willingly will continue to do it to others.

I've been hit pretty damn hard, and almost every time I've been hit my friends would brag sbout it, did I whine and moan like a bitch? No, because I was fucking playing football, I expected it.

I honestly don't understand the uproar over these hits, I personally think that the helment to helment penalty is bullshit, but suspending players is taking it way to far.

So playing hard is a no no? I'm not going to say head hunting is right or trying to kill someone is right, but these are 300lb mountains of muscle and speed going out there and hitting each other as hard as they can to prevent the offense from getting yards. Will is not right about this, he took what Harrison said out of context and spun it to what he wanted to hear. Harrison said he's not trying to injure anyone, he tries to hurt them. It's what you do on defense, he's not giving in by showing that he feels sorry if a guy gets hurt and trying to keep up a tough guy persona because you can't look weak. It adds a mystic around the guy and scares offensive players with his mind games. Everyone wants to castrate defenses nowadays. This is no different.

So playing hard is a no no? I'm not going to say head hunting is right or trying to kill someone is right, but these are 300lb mountains of muscle and speed going out there and hitting each other as hard as they can to prevent the offense from getting yards. Will is not right about this, he took what Harrison said out of context and spun it to what he wanted to hear. Harrison said he's not trying to injure anyone, he tries to hurt them. It's what you do on defense, he's not giving in by showing that he feels sorry if a guy gets hurt and trying to keep up a tough guy persona because you can't look weak. It adds a mystic around the guy and scares offensive players with his mind games. Everyone wants to castrate defenses nowadays. This is no different.
1. show me where I said playing hard is a no-no? You can play hard, and play clean. Harrison (and Merriweather, and Dunta Robinson) didn't do that last week, and combine those 3 hits with all the other injuries, and the league if finally ENFORCING THE ALREADY IN-PLACE RULES. They aren't adding new rules, they are just finally enforcing them.
2. The job of a defense is to knock the ballcarrier DOWN, not OUT. And they aren't even supposed to HURT them, just knock them DOWN. In fact, knock down isn't even right, TACKLE. God forbid anyone actually TAKLES anymore, it's all about big hits.
3. Can you explain the difference between hurting and injuring someone? There really isn't one. Harrison says in the article he wants to take them out of the game. That's INJURING. Making a guy miss plays is INJURING. That's what he did, and that's what he does. When a guy gets knocked out of a game, 99.9% of the time they show up on the INJURY report, not the HURT report.
4. So mystique and mind games are paramount to the health of players? Are you fucking mad? This isn't castrating defenses, it's simply preventing PERMANENT INJURY, which concussions ARE. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish. Sorry, there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Again, I don't want to see an NFL player pull a Chris Benoit, so if they are going to punish people who cause the type of injury that helped make Benoit do what he did, I'm all for it, and I wish you would be too.

1. show me where I said playing hard is a no-no? You can play hard, and play clean. Harrison (and Merriweather, and Dunta Robinson) didn't do that last week, and combine those 3 hits with all the other injuries, and the league if finally ENFORCING THE ALREADY IN-PLACE RULES. They aren't adding new rules, they are just finally enforcing them.

Merriweather is the only one out of those guys that made a no no in my mind. The other three hits were just big hits and someone actually felt them for more than one play. They hurt. My problem isn't with any of that though, everyone is on Harrison's case for saying he wants to hurt someone, well yea he wants it to hurt. Injury is different and I don't care how you or Will want to spin it and say it's not. Hurt=pain Injury=time missed.

2. The job of a defense is to knock the ballcarrier DOWN, not OUT. And they aren't even supposed to HURT them, just knock them DOWN. In fact, knock down isn't even right, TACKLE. God forbid anyone actually TAKLES anymore, it's all about big hits.

Maybe they should just play two hand touch. No one will feel pain then.

3. Can you explain the difference between hurting and injuring someone? There really isn't one. Harrison says in the article he wants to take them out of the game. That's INJURING. Making a guy miss plays is INJURING. That's what he did, and that's what he does. When a guy gets knocked out of a game, 99.9% of the time they show up on the INJURY report, not the HURT report.

Big difference, hurt=pain. He wants the offense to feel it, if they can't handle the pain then they sit down. Injuring themselves.

4. So mystique and mind games are paramount to the health of players? Are you fucking mad? This isn't castrating defenses, it's simply preventing PERMANENT INJURY, which concussions ARE. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish. Sorry, there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Him saying he wants to hurt someone doesn't effect anyones health. Last I checked it was "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

I'm all for eliminating hits to the head, that's not what I'm debating, I'm debating everone calling for Harrison's head because of something he said.

Again, I don't want to see an NFL player pull a Chris Benoit, so if they are going to punish people who cause the type of injury that helped make Benoit do what he did, I'm all for it, and I wish you would be too.

I am, I am not for people overreacting to something a player says and skewing the words to make it sound like what they want to hear. I'm all for no hits to the head though.

Lamarr Woodley was shown something he tweeted and I fully agree with what he said. He said something along the line of 'If the NFL is worried about players safety, then why are they trying to add 2 more meaningful games?' You can't have it one way and not the other, especially since 2 more games will add up over time and would have just as good of a chance of adding an injury as these big hits are. Players are getting hurt as often as they are, and the NFL would be slightly hypocritical if they said they were all for the players safety, yet added 2 more games simply for the $$$.

Well no shit. But you're telling me none of your fellow players wanted to hurt someone on the field? All the football players I've met take pride in that shit, they love hitting somebody so hard it hurts. Like I said, it's fun.

Uhm, no? Again, maybe I just played on a team that was full of guys not thinking about intent to maim and instead focused on winning within the rules. :shrug:

Member when Harrison said that he doesn't want to injure people? He never said he wanted to end someone's career, he just said he loves hurting people, nothing wrong with that.

Tell this to the two Browns (star) WRs that likely won't be able to play this coming weekend - because Harrison thought it was fun and well to "hurt" (aka injure and take them out of the game) them.

Nothing that anyone in the NFL hasn't heard before, I'm suprised you're so outraged that a football player wants to hurt somebody (OMG).

Its like you almost want me to start flaming you for the lack of brain-made comments you make. (GOSH!)

I'm not "outraged" by any of this. I'm certainly interested as to where, or how, you came to this conclusion. Because I'm of a selective (negative) opinion on a specific subject - apparently that means I'm outraged. Well then, I certainly hope you can get over your outrage of my opinion. :thumbsup: (OMHQRSHIV <- See, I can jumble letters together, too)

And I'm not uncaring of people, if someone willingly wants to play NFL football they oughta know that 99% of the guys out there are wanting to fuck you up on every single down, I feel no symapthy for a guy who gets the wind knocked out of him, or gets KO'd for a second. That stuff is expected.

Now you're just being ignorant. I get that Football is a contact sport. And that people get hurt in every game. But there is a big difference between something that's accidental, and something that's intentional.

Harrison has went ON RECORD in saying he takes pride and joy in hard hits that hurt people. Now You, and Cardinal, wish to spew this BS that I'm spinning that into what I wanna hear - how the fuck either of you can assume I'm spinning anything thats from a direct quote is beyond me, but sure.

And before you try coming back with "but there's a difference between hurting and injurying." Uhm, no, there's truly not. If you get knocked down and come back - you weren't hurt, you were banged up, or winded. Being hurt is being injured. Stop acting so ignorant.

I've been hit pretty damn hard, and almost every time I've been hit my friends would brag sbout it, did I whine and moan like a bitch? No, because I was fucking playing football, I expected it.

Oh yeah? Well when James Harrison in full pads and helmet delivers a helmet-to-helmet blow to you, at full speed, come tell me how you're still fine with it because you expected to be mauled.

Pro Football is A LOT different than playing with a bunch of pansy ass kids who likely couldn't out-weigh most of these Pros by even half as much. Stop trying to connect the two as if they're the same.

I honestly don't understand the uproar over these hits, I personally think that the helment to helment penalty is bullshit, but suspending players is taking it way to far.

Concussions are a big problem right now. Helmet-to-Helmet hits are illegal. Not all of them get caught, but are still just as dangerous regardless. They can lead to very serious brain damage, and Dementia.

So, uh, yeah.. the Helmet penalties are kinda a big deal.

Injury is different and I don't care how you or Will want to spin it and say it's not. Hurt=pain Injury=time missed.

How am I spinning what was a direct quote? Please, enlighten me on this. :banghead:

Also, your little comparison of "hurt=pain Injury=time missed.

Once again, when both Browns (star) WRs miss this coming Sunday's game due to "hurt=pain" then tell me again how Harrison didn't "injure" them with his "hurtful" actions. Ignorance beget more ignorance in this thread.

Maybe they should just play two hand touch. No one will feel pain then.

:rolleyes: At least them most of you'd stop bitching about the season being extended.

Big difference, hurt=pain. He wants the offense to feel it, if they can't handle the pain then they sit down. Injuring themselves.

:lmao: WHAT?! Did you even read what you wrote?

"He wants the offense to feel it... .... if they can't handle the pain.. they sit down.. injuring themselves." REALLY.. injuring themselves? How stupid do you honestly think this sounds? Because on my end.. words can not express the levels.

Harrison = 2 big hits (one that's under review even)
Browns WRs = Simply injured themselves because they didn't return to the game.

Yep, that sounds about right. Forbid they could've actually been injured, by the - you know - FUCKING ILLEGAL HIT(S)! Nope, because both refused to re-enter the game, they simply injured themselves.

Him saying he wants to hurt someone doesn't effect anyones health. Last I checked it was "sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

Well, his words were echo'ed after his pads and helmet may have caused harm and damage to two WRs bones. And him being proud of injuring two guys, is different than him being proud of landing two nice hits on players who could've still played.

He injured them, to the point that neither could return. That = injury, hurt and harm. Intent to end careers. And he's proud of those hits - knowing they knocked the players out of the game.

I'm all for eliminating hits to the head, that's not what I'm debating, I'm debating everone calling for Harrison's head because of something he said.

I'm not calling for his head - I'm saying he made a stupid comment of a situation that's under review. Let me refocus this for a moment..

Whenever the League puts a hit under review - that means it was likely as-is considered illegal. Because they're reviewing it isn't to come back and say "a flag should've been thrown".. its to say "a fine is being handed out".

Harrison should've reframed from making the stupid comment he made, thats all I'm saying. You shouldn't and do NOT take pride in putting someone out of a game.

The "Jakked up" hits they show on MNF - thats one thing. Those are legal hits to players who still continue to play. Harrison's hit(s) were both made one after another practically, and both ended the games of the people they hit - possibly being long term enough to keep them out for longer than just a half.

I am, I am not for people overreacting to something a player says and skewing the words to make it sound like what they want to hear. I'm all for no hits to the head though.

I'm not over-reacting to anything. I'm baffled by how stupid some of you are acting to this though.

For the final time; even if "hurt = knocked wind out of, and injury = took them out of the game" - what Harrison did was INJURE them. He took them out of the game. Possibly more than just the one they were in. Thats an injury.

Definition of harm: physical or psychological injury or damage.

So again, how is it ok to want to harm someone? Why would you want a guy who has that type of attitude on your team? His type of attitude is what the league needs to get rid of. That may have worked 15-20 years ago, but as we have seen, these shots are causing injuries that can end someone's career and worse. Him saying he's trying to harm players means he's trying to cause injury. Trying to use "this is a man's sport" or "its football what do you expect" are pathetic answers to a problem that the NFL is rightly addressing more seriously.

Its like you almost want me to start flaming you for the lack of brain-made comments you make. (GOSH!)

Oh no!

I'm not "outraged" by any of this. I'm certainly interested as to where, or how, you came to this conclusion. Because I'm of a selective (negative) opinion on a specific subject - apparently that means I'm outraged. Well then, I certainly hope you can get over your outrage of my opinion

Your first post seemed pretty angry, you were calling for Harrison to be suspended, you're obviously not pleased with the whole thing.

(OMHQRSHIV <- See, I can jumble letters together, too)

Dumb.

Now you're just being ignorant. I get that Football is a contact sport. And that people get hurt in every game. But there is a big difference between something that's accidental, and something that's intentional.

You telling me players should start "accidentally" tackling players? Or maybe they should just hit them with less force? C'mon dude, defense and hurting people go hand and hand, the harder you hit them, the more hesitant they'll be around you, and the easier it is to take 'em down.

Harrison has went ON RECORD in saying he takes pride and joy in hard hits that hurt people. Now You, and Cardinal, wish to spew this BS that I'm spinning that into what I wanna hear - how the fuck either of you can assume I'm spinning anything thats from a direct quote is beyond me, but sure.

And I'm saying I have NO PROBLEM with JAMES HARRISON going ON RECORD saying he takes pride and joy in hurting people, I smirked a little when I read it.

And before you try coming back with "but there's a difference between hurting and injurying." Uhm, no, there's truly not. If you get knocked down and come back - you weren't hurt, you were banged up, or winded. Being hurt is being injured. Stop acting so ignorant.

There is a difference, being banged up and winded hurts, therefore that's called getting hurt. Don't call someone ignorant when you're not making an ounce of sense.

Oh yeah? Well when James Harrison in full pads and helmet delivers a helmet-to-helmet blow to you, at full speed, come tell me how you're still fine with it because you expected to be mauled.

If I was a fucking professional athelete then I would be fine with it.

Pro Football is A LOT different than playing with a bunch of pansy ass kids who likely couldn't out-weigh most of these Pros by even half as much. Stop trying to connect the two as if they're the same

Why don't you try going out onto the field, taking one of those 'hurtful hits' and coming back to tell me you still enjoyed being apart of it - then watching the guy who hit you, talking about how much he enjoyed it and willingly will continue to do it to others.

Don't ask a question if you're going to act like a jackass when I answer it, obviously I'm not a professional athlete, but I can still draw comparisons between playing with friends, and pros playing eachother.

Concussions are a big problem right now. Helmet-to-Helmet hits are illegal. Not all of them get caught, but are still just as dangerous regardless. They can lead to very serious brain damage, and Dementia.

So, uh, yeah.. the Helmet penalties are kinda a big deal.

The reason I think they're bullshit is because most of the time when a player hits another player helment first it's usually an accident, and the player hitting the other player gets hurt just as much.

Angel, I don't get what you're really looking for here. Let's check some actual facts.

1.) When a player goes out and plays the game to the full amount, and doesn't get fined or penalized - he's done his correct job. FACT!

2.) The League clearly viewed what Harrison did as wrong, and as such he was fined $75k. FACT!

3.) Harrison is a repeat "offender" in this situation. He goes out and intentionally tries to "injure/hurt" people. Now he's saying he's okay with that. FACT!

James Harrison has went "on record" in saying he doesn't want to hurt anyone by injuring them; yet he wants to "hurt them". (Thats what he said, I'm begging someone to explain how I'm spinning this)

So, because 2 Browns WRs were 'forced' out of Sunday's game and may be unable to play on Sunday, because of hits that Harrison was FINED over; does this make Harrison a hypocrite? I'd say it does. After he laid out two WRs, he went on in an interview to claim he had no intention to "injure" either, but he wanted to hurt them. YET - he's done this before last Sunday, which means hes been warned before and still hasn't learned anything.

Harrison is one guy, in a League full of men who can replace him. Suspend him. Kick him from the league. It really doesn't matter - I'm not outraged by him, just dumbfounded by his statement - and the people who seem to think it was okay to say.

In situations like this, you delete the problem. You don't simply smack it on the wrist. Harrison and a hand full of others are the only ones who really don't understand how to play safely. And I don't get how thats possible. When hundreds of other guys know how to watch their actions, you're going to tell me one guy (or a handful) are going to play the way they do (in Harrison's case, gloat about it) and not be punished?

Are you fucking shitting me?!

James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

This is like watching a guy on the ledge of a building, threatening to jump off - when the only people at the sight are the camera crews hoping they catch it first; meanwhile the guy on the ledge is only wanting attention and a pitty party. Boo, fucking, Hoo.

Harrison's fines were just. Not one, but two, Helmet-to-Helmet hits. (The one on Cribbs was called 'legal' because he was a runner, albeit) He was fined $75k for being a repeat offender and now he's crying and threatening to quit? Well, before I wasn't at any type of outrage - I'm still not, actually, but now you'll truly get no pitty from me. Just quit, ya dumb shit. Go cry home to people who might feel sorry if you pay them.

I'm sure the money he'll lose from having to pay back on the contract he's still apart of, and the lack of income when he discovers he can't do anything else as profit productive will have him crying in front of a media stand, begging to be forgiven and allowed to return.

Oh, one more point. Helmet to Helmet hits (regardless if they're made by Offensive or Defensive players) should be fined and penalized, no regard. Whether its to a defenseless individual, or a runner. You have an entire body to target, and you have your arms, and upper body to lead with - no reason to use one of the most fragile parts of your body - against another's.

First of all, the hits were both legal. Second of all, it was announced on NUMEROUS radio stations this morining that on the NFL's own site, they are promoting the selling of a picture of the EXACT hit Harrison got fined for. How in the HOLY HELL is that legit?? You people and your fuckin liberalism, need to grow up and realize, that these guys MAKE A CHOICE to get paid millions to play Professional football. They now the consequences going in and are compensated generously for their craft. I do not now, nor will ever agree with intentionally trying to permanently injure someone, but this shit is fucking RIDICULOUS!!!

First of all, the hits were both legal. Second of all, it was announced on NUMEROUS radio stations this morining that on the NFL's own site, they are promoting the selling of a picture of the EXACT hit Harrison got fined for. How in the HOLY HELL is that legit?? You people and your fuckin liberalism, need to grow up and realize, that these guys MAKE A CHOICE to get paid millions to play Professional football. They now the consequences going in and are compensated generously for their craft. I do not now, nor will ever agree with intentionally trying to permanently injure someone, but this shit is fucking RIDICULOUS!!!

Are you fucking kidding me? Are you really going to use the whole " they chose to play football and get paid millions to do it" argument? That's a shit answer. None of these guys get paid to get knocked out by a guy who is trying to go out there and hurt people. Look at the comments Harrison made, both that were posted by Will. That's a guy who is trying to injure someone and if he can't, then he doesn't want to play football. What you need to realize, is that there is an issue of safety here. I don't give a fuck if they get millions or not, no one deserves to be hit like that and risk their well beings. If you fucking paid any attention to what we have been saying, we don't care about hits the body. This is about hits to the head that cause injuries that can change someone's career or life.

As far as what Will posted, I hope he does quit. Those 2nd comments just confirmed this guy doesn't get it, and never will. He's going out there to injure (harm, same fucking shit) guys, and wants to be a bitch about it if he can't. I said it before, this is the kind of attitude the league needs to get rid of. With all we've learned about what concussions can do, it shouldn't be hard to stop attacking guys' heads. If you want to be agressive and make a big hit, get the guy in the body, no need to go after his head. If he can't understand that, then he should quit.

Are you fucking kidding me? Are you really going to use the whole " they chose to play football and get paid millions to do it" argument? That's a shit answer. None of these guys get paid to get knocked out by a guy who is trying to go out there and hurt people. Look at the comments Harrison made, both that were posted by Will. That's a guy who is trying to injure someone and if he can't, then he doesn't want to play football. What you need to realize, is that there is an issue of safety here. I don't give a fuck if they get millions or not, no one deserves to be hit like that and risk their well beings. If you fucking paid any attention to what we have been saying, we don't care about hits the body. This is about hits to the head that cause injuries that can change someone's career or life.

As far as what Will posted, I hope he does quit. Those 2nd comments just confirmed this guy doesn't get it, and never will. He's going out there to injure (harm, same fucking shit) guys, and wants to be a bitch about it if he can't. I said it before, this is the kind of attitude the league needs to get rid of. With all we've learned about what concussions can do, it shouldn't be hard to stop attacking guys' heads. If you want to be agressive and make a big hit, get the guy in the body, no need to go after his head. If he can't understand that, then he should quit.

Let me make this extremely personal for me to see if you can follow what I'm getting at. My uncle works on skyscrapers/tall buildings. He makes very good money doing so. A few years ago he slipped, while not being properly secured and fell three stories to his near death. His was in a coma for months and had nearly every bone in his body broken. I am extremely greatful that he is alive today. That being said, he made a CHOICE to do high rise construction as a career. He KNEW there were great risks involved in the type of work he chose. He is working construction with the same company now and if you asked him if he would go back to working on the crew high above the ground if he was physically able to, to this day he would say yes. I've had many conversations with him about the trauma he endured and you know what, he never even once thought about suing his boss, or the company building the structure he was working on, because HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS GETTING INTO. Of course, he didn't fucking ask for it. The players in the NFL don't ask to be knocked out, or paralyzed, but guess what buddy, that's the fucking risk you take playing NFL football. I'm in no way suggesting that these players should go head hunting. That IS bullshit, but if you get injured, even permanently, ON A LEGAL PLAY....you knew that was a risk going in. Don't want to risk it?? Don't fucking play football. Simple as that!

P.S. Intentional hits to the head meant to cause injury are BS. Like Blue and others have said, there is a huge difference between trying to permanently damage someone, and giving them a good crack in the mouth, so they think twice about coming across the middle of your field. Bunch of *****es!

Let me make this extremely personal for me to see if you can follow what I'm getting at. My uncle works on skyscrapers/tall buildings. He makes very good money doing so. A few years ago he slipped, while not being properly secured and fell three stories to his near death. His was in a coma for months and had nearly every bone in his body broken. I am extremely greatful that he is alive today. That being said, he made a CHOICE to do high rise construction as a career. He KNEW there were great risks involved in the type of work he chose. He is working construction with the same company now and if you asked him if he would go back to working on the crew high above the ground if he was physically able to, to this day he would say yes. I've had many conversations with him about the trauma he endured and you know what, he never even once thought about suing his boss, or the company building the structure he was working on, because HE KNEW WHAT HE WAS GETTING INTO. Of course, he didn't fucking ask for it. The players in the NFL don't ask to be knocked out, or paralyzed, but guess what buddy, that's the fucking risk you take playing NFL football. I'm in no way suggesting that these players should go head hunting. That IS bullshit, but if you get injured, even permanently, ON A LEGAL PLAY....you knew that was a risk going in. Don't want to risk it?? Don't fucking play football. Simple as that!

No player is out trying to sue the league. And believe me, I'm sure that job your worked at has/continues to try to make their job as safe as you can get. That's what the NFL is doing here. Of course you can't rid of injuries, its a part of the game. But hits to the head are not acceptable, and the league can do something about it and are they are. They are going to be giving out tougher punishment for shots to the head and that's a good thing. That's really what this is all about. Understand we aren't talking about a dude who break his leg because he was twisted the wrong way while getting tackled. We are talking about shots to the head and helmet to helmet. Things that can and should be avoided.

Others have already done so but I'm going to reiterate the statement that wanting to hurt someone and wanting to injure them are COMPLETELY different things. Harrison stated he wanted to hurt and specifically said that he did not want to injure. Every single NFL defender will tell you they want to hurt people when they hit them. They want the player they're hitting to take that extra second to get up after being hit. They want him to maybe take a play off after getting the wind knocked out of them. They want them to know that if they go over the middle then they will be feeling sore the next day.

Even some offensive players like Adrian Peterson share that same sentiment. When he runs up the middle and trucks some guy over, he wants to make the sure that defender knows it's going to be a long day. Trying to injure someone is taking intentional cheap shots and trying to take players out for weeks at a time if not more. Now injuries sometimes happen when you're trying to hurt someone but that's the nature of the game. It's impossible for injuries not to occur.

I'm fine with this recent crack down on the rules if they are trying to get rid of helmet to helmet hits because those are dirty and serve no purpose in the game of football. But if this turns into what the new protecting QB rules have become then I'm not a fan. I don't want to see big hits being penalized just because they're big hits. If the hit is illegal then punish a guy but please don't take one of the best parts of the game of football away. The physicality and big hits are part of the game of football. Enforce head shots and chop blocks all you want but don't jeopardize the game by being oversensitive.

So we actually agree on the main subject here. Intentional hits to the head are bitch made and should be fined. Agreed? Ok. That being said, there is still a big difference between that, and the kind of hits James Harrison dealt out. His comments are fine as well. He's not looking to go out and damage someone's brain for the rest of their life, he's going out there to make damn sure those WR's think twice between running a route that crosses the middle of HIS field. I've had problems with a couple of hits that Ryan Clark has made, but not as many as he gets blasted for. Hines Ward is another that gets a bad wrap. You find me one player on any team that works harder on the field on game day than Hines and I swear to GOD I'll send you a check right now. Guess what? You can't. Hines freaking blasted a couple Ravens a few years back and both hits were legal and part of the game these guys choose to, and get paid to play. I just don't think you guys are grasping the part of the argument that some of these hits are part of playing the game the way it should be played, while others are quite illegal. Look at Rodney Harrison, he has had some dirty plays (to be fair so has Ryan Clark, so you don't think I'm being biased), but has had some other tremendous hits that were legal and part of the game. There is a difference between the two. Also, none of us NOT ONE, can really understand the speed, and agility it would take for these guys to pull up during a play. We are quite literally talking about freaks of nature, that have been trained their whole lives to smack the opposition as hard as they possibly can. That's what they're trained to do, that's what they're going to do.

Others have already done so but I'm going to reiterate the statement that wanting to hurt someone and wanting to injure them are COMPLETELY different things. Harrison stated he wanted to hurt and specifically said that he did not want to injure. Every single NFL defender will tell you they want to hurt people when they hit them. They want the player they're hitting to take that extra second to get up after being hit. They want him to maybe take a play off after getting the wind knocked out of them. They want them to know that if they go over the middle then they will be feeling sore the next day.

Even some offensive players like Adrian Peterson share that same sentiment. When he runs up the middle and trucks some guy over, he wants to make the sure that defender knows it's going to be a long day. Trying to injure someone is taking intentional cheap shots and trying to take players out for weeks at a time if not more. Now injuries sometimes happen when you're trying to hurt someone but that's the nature of the game. It's impossible for injuries not to occur.

I'm fine with this recent crack down on the rules if they are trying to get rid of helmet to helmet hits because those are dirty and serve no purpose in the game of football. But if this turns into what the new protecting QB rules have become then I'm not a fan. I don't want to see big hits being penalized just because they're big hits. If the hit is illegal then punish a guy but please don't take one of the best parts of the game of football away. The physicality and big hits are part of the game of football. Enforce head shots and chop blocks all you want but don't jeopardize the game by being oversensitive.

I wish I was as calm as Big Sexy and could articulate what I was trying to say as well as he just did. Illegal/Intentional hits to the head have no part in football. Big hits intended to make sure your opponent knows you came to play, are what makes the game as popular as it is today.

I'd also like to go on record saying that I agreed with two of the hits being fined by the NFL. I thought that Merriweather's hit on Todd Heap was illegal because he led with his helmet towrads Heap's head and because of the defenseless receiver rule. The ball was already well over Heap's head and behind him. The play was essentially over. I thought Merriweather's hit was the cheapest of the day.

Dunta Robinson's hit also deserved a fine because he did lead with his helmet. It was a bang bang play and it looked as if Robinson was trying to turn and lead with his shoulder but the collision happened too quickly. His was not intentional because he did say he was trying to lead with his shoulder and it looked like that was the case but because it happened so fast he led with his helmet and the hit deserved a fine.

With James Harrison I don't think either of his hits deserved a fine. The one on Cribbs was deemed legal by the league and the only one he got fined for was the one on Massoquoi. With that hit Harrison led with his shoulder and although it was close to Massoquoi's head it just struck his upper body. The fact that Massoquoi had his head down when the collision occurred is what made the hit close but I still thought it was legal and obviously the officials did as well because he wasn't flagged on the play.

I'd also like to go on record saying that I agreed with two of the hits being fined by the NFL. I thought that Merriweather's hit on Todd Heap was illegal because he led with his helmet towrads Heap's head and because of the defenseless receiver rule. The ball was already well over Heap's head and behind him. The play was essentially over. I thought Merriweather's hit was the cheapest of the day.

Dunta Robinson's hit also deserved a fine because he did lead with his helmet. It was a bang bang play and it looked as if Robinson was trying to turn and lead with his shoulder but the collision happened too quickly. His was not intentional because he did say he was trying to lead with his shoulder and it looked like that was the case but because it happened so fast he led with his helmet and the hit deserved a fine.

With James Harrison I don't think either of his hits deserved a fine. The one on Cribbs was deemed legal by the league and the only one he got fined for was the one on Massoquoi. With that hit Harrison led with his shoulder and although it was close to Massoquoi's head it just struck his upper body. The fact that Massoquoi had his head down when the collision occurred is what made the hit close but I still thought it was legal and obviously the officials did as well because he wasn't flagged on the play.
I got really bad news for you Big Sexy. The Harrison hit was indeed ILLEGAL. The Cribbs play was deemed legal, as you said, but the Massequoi play was deemed ILLEGAL by the NFL, and Ray Anderson (NFL VP of Football Operations, and one of the people who levy fines) has repeatedly said in media appearances that it WAS illegal, so you're dead wrong on this one.

I for one hope to god that if James Harrison can't abide by the NFL rules, that he retires. The rules state that you can't lead with the head, attack the head, or attack defensless receivers. He does all that, and got caught (again). If he doesn't want to abide by the rules, get the fuck out, and don't let he door hit you in the ass on the way out. Maybe he can go back to football school, and learn how to tackle properly, then come back into the league.

I got really bad news for you Big Sexy. The Harrison hit was indeed ILLEGAL. The Cribbs play was deemed legal, as you said, but the Massequoi play was deemed ILLEGAL by the NFL, and Ray Anderson (NFL VP of Football Operations, and one of the people who levy fines) has repeatedly said in media appearances that it WAS illegal, so you're dead wrong on this one.

I for one hope to god that if James Harrison can't abide by the NFL rules, that he retires. The rules state that you can't lead with the head, attack the head, or attack defensless receivers. He does all that, and got caught (again). If he doesn't want to abide by the rules, get the fuck out, and don't let he door hit you in the ass on the way out. Maybe he can go back to football school, and learn how to tackle properly, then come back into the league.

The NFL wanted to set an example and Harrison concussed two players plus with the comments he made the NFL made it a point to fine him. He didn't lead with his head, didn't hit Massaqoui in the head, and Massaquoi was not in a defenseless position so the rule was not broken. The NFL can twist the rule around and say it was illegal but both of Harrison's hits were almost identical. The referees on the field obviously thought it was fine because a flag wasn't thrown.

BS, I agreed with some of what you said in other posts - but you seem to have redirected yourself with this one. So thats why I'm replying.

The NFL wanted to set an example and Harrison concussed two players plus with the comments he made the NFL made it a point to fine him.

Why not set the example with him? Let's rundown why he was the perfect example to be used.

1.) He's a repeat offender in this situation.

2.) He DID deliver two concussions to the two best players on the Browns WR core. Effectively taking them out of the game. (but of course, that wasn't his intention. :rolleyes:)

3.) He openly (and very stupidly) said in an interview he wants to hurt people, but "of course" that's not the same as "injuring". :rolleyes:

4.) As a result of using him as an example - he's become a baby, and threatened to quit. **(On a personal note - how is this the type of player the league wants to use as any type of role model?)**

He didn't lead with his head

Uh, but he did.. twice. Bring in those video clips. He landed two helmet-to-helmet hits on both WRs.

You said he went in with his shoulder, but he HIT with his helmet/head. The hit on Cribbs wasn't even needed, as well. Cribbs was already being tackled and Harrison just came in to deliver the "knockout blow".

The referees on the field obviously thought it was fine because a flag wasn't thrown.

:lmao: Because everyone knows the Officials always make the right calls every single down, on every single play; and see every single little thing that goes on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottomline is this.

I'm not as much against Harrison as a whole, as I am against Helmet-to-Helmet hits (of any kind). I'm "targeting" Harrison because he's a fucking idiot. He went to the media and told them something stupid.

Regardless if every single NFL Player in the league has it in their mind to go out and "hurt/injure/maim/maul" anyone else - they are all smart enough to keep that type of comment to themselves. Harrison was not.

Watching the game, and those videos that people apparently think the NFL doctored :)lmao: Because we all know they had secret cameras who moved Harrison into a position he wasn't in, right?) he hit two WRs with his Helmet. I don't give a shit what anyone else has to say on that subject - the video evidence is plain as day.

Now you get the out-pouring from other random Defensive players saying they're taking the game away. Uhm, no they really aren't. If you're a GOOD Defensive player - you don't need JUST your head to make the hit. You have an entire big body to impact with. You have arms to wrap with. Use them. How is that so hard?

Yeah, what kind of role model is a guy that got cut from the team multiple times, but kept trying and trying, only to become a perenial pro bowler? Why in the world would anyone want their children to grow up idealizing a man with a never say die attitude? Don't they know in today's world of insant gratification, that if you try and fail, you should just move on?

This is a perfect example of why America is slowly but steadily declining. A guy is emotional and passionate about what he does, but makes ONE comment that is twisted and turned every direction but the one he meant it to go in the first place and now he's the worst dude ever. Come on man, let's not forget about the emotion that is involved here. To say Harrison is the kind of guy the NFL should be ashamed of is narrow minded and ignorant!

Yeah, what kind of role model is a guy that got cut from the team multiple times, but kept trying and trying, only to become a perenial pro bowler? Why in the world would anyone want their children to grow up idealizing a man with a never say die attitude? Don't they know in today's world of insant gratification, that if you try and fail, you should just move on?

This is a perfect example of why America is slowly but steadily declining. A guy is emotional and passionate about what he does, but makes ONE comment that is twisted and turned every direction but the one he meant it to go in the first place and now he's the worst dude ever. Come on man, let's not forget about the emotion that is involved here. To say Harrison is the kind of guy the NFL should be ashamed of is narrow minded and ignorant!
Are you a fucking moron? He is the FURTHEST THING FROM A ROLE MODEL IN THE ENTIRE NFL! He is a repeat offender of dirty tactics, such as the Massequoi hit (and the Cribbs hit, which was legal, wasn't necessarily clean). I'd rather have children look up to someone like Michael Vick, whom paid for his sins and plays at a high level while speaking out against his sins, then a guy like Harrison, whom breaks the rules and when he gets caught whines, complains, and contemplates quitting because he doesn't know how to TACKLE.

Here's a Youtube of the 2 hits (complete with the TV commentary):
[YOUTUBE]iLXJy3dap3o[/YOUTUBE]
They even say the Massequoi hit was dirty (and did you not see the flag indicator at the end of the play?). But no, it was clean, even though he gave a headshot to a defenseless receiver.

If you want your children to look up to a football player, tell them to look up to Danny Woodhead, a 5'9" '200 lb' halfback from division 2 Chadron State, who scratched and clawed his way into the NFL, after spending years on the practice squad and is having an impact on the New England Patriots. Don't have them look up to a piece of garbage who whines and complains about getting caught being a dirty player who doesn't know how to tackle.

2.) He DID deliver two concussions to the two best players on the Browns WR core. Effectively taking them out of the game. (but of course, that wasn't his intention. :rolleyes:)

So because the players had concussions the hits are automatically dirty. Concussions happen all the time, it's the nature of the game. If a player was fined every time their hit caused a concussion then there would be hundreds of fines every year.

3.) He openly (and very stupidly) said in an interview he wants to hurt people, but "of course" that's not the same as "injuring".

It's not the same which is why in the very same interview he said he didn't want to injure people. Any defensive player that says he isn't trying to inflict pain and hurt the other players with his hits is lying. They want these guys to feel the hits.

Uh, but he did.. twice. Bring in those video clips. He landed two helmet-to-helmet hits on both WRs.

You said he went in with his shoulder, but he HIT with his helmet/head. The hit on Cribbs wasn't even needed, as well. Cribbs was already being tackled and Harrison just came in to deliver the "knockout blow".

Uh, no he didn't. Actually it seemed on the follow through of the Cribbs hit his helmet might have grazed Cribbs but the league didn't even fine him for that hit. On the Massaquoi hit he led with his shoulder and his helmet never hit Massaquoi's.

Because everyone knows the Officials always make the right calls every single down, on every single play; and see every single little thing that goes on.

I never said they did but there was an official right in front of the hit staring at it. If he saw an illegal hit then a flag would have been thrown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back