NFL Thread - 2010-11

As much as I love them, the Falcons have to be the luckiest team in the entire NFL. That's two straight comeback wins pretty much over bonehead moves by the other team. But I'll take it, a win is a win. Move over Edge, there's 53 new Ultimate Opportunists. I think we've got a win next week over Cleveland, and we could be a 12-13 win team looking at our schedule from here on out.

You're exactly right about that. We really tried to lose that game though b/c we drove the ball on them all day but due to mistakes by Ryan or the wrong call by the Offensive Coordinator we had to settle for field goals. Our defense has improved a lot as we're top in the league in interceptions and only held them to 7 points really. As long as they can contain Hillis next week, the Falcons should be looking at 4-1.

You're exactly right about that. We really tried to lose that game though b/c we drove the ball on them all day but due to mistakes by Ryan or the wrong call by the Offensive Coordinator we had to settle for field goals. Our defense has improved a lot as we're top in the league in interceptions and only held them to 7 points really. As long as they can contain Hillis next week, the Falcons should be looking at 4-1.
Chances are we'll have trouble with Hillis, but we shut Gore down so maybe not. Even if he does have a big game, they have a bad D that we'll go to town on, maybe Turner will finally get back to that 2008 form that he was just starting to get to last year before he got hurt. But Snelling's been playing well, so we have that just in case. We're also tied with Chicago for first in the NFC. Hopefully next week will be a tiebreaker.

So the Bills traded Marshawn Lynch to the Seahawks for a 2011 4th round pick and a conditional 2012 pick. Another bone-headed move by Buffalo's front office. If they were gonna trade him all along why not do it before the season started, like draft time when teams were interested in him all the more? Or start of the season when a few RB's went down? Green Bay was said to have interest in Lynch, I'm sure we could've worked out a deal for AJ Hawk for Lynch with the Bills giving up a 3rd round draft pick to go with it. Just shows how our team is won of the dumbest in the league yet again!!! Someone please take Ralph Wilson and the upper management out the pasture. The only good thing out of this is we get to see more of CJ Spiller in games now!

We all knew Lynch was gonna get traded. I think the reason they didn't trade him during the offseason or earlier this year is because they wanted too much for Lynch. I read somewhere they were looking for a 2nd round pick or something along those lines. Now they see that is value is obviously down, so they got rid of him for the best offer they could receive. In fact I think getting a 4th and a conditional is a good trade. Never been a fan of Lynch, always found him to be vastly overrated. Plus I believe both Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller are better backs and should have been the guys in Buffalo. I honestly wanted to see Jackson get out of Buffalo, as I think he is their best back and seeing him getting the carries he deserves elsewhere would have been nice. However it is a win-win, as Jackson and Spiller will see more touches now that Lynch is out of the picture and Lynch will most likely be the featured guy in Seattle.

Green Bay was said to have interest in Lynch, I'm sure we could've worked out a deal for AJ Hawk for Lynch with the Bills giving up a 3rd round draft pick to go with it.

Uhm, what? You're joking, right? I honestly hope this is an attempt at a joke; because there is no way in hell Green Bay (a pass-first team, who does just fine as such) would consider trading away a Defensive LEADER for a second rate RB with a short career, and history of personal problems.

I won't lie in saying I feel Lynch is going to be greater in Seattle than he ever would've been in Buffalo. However that's not to say any other back wouldn't be just as great anywhere else, than in Buffalo. :shrug:

But yeah, offering Green Bay a 3rd round pick, and a RB that even on their own Depth Chart was ranked between 2nd and 3rd - isn't happening. EVER.

I'm kinda shocked you got a 4th round pick out of him, to be perfectly honest. Buffalo wasn't using him, and had no bargaining chips with Spiller & Jackson shining and showing other teams they were the top backs. Like it's been reported and said; everyone knew Buffalo was considering dropping a back - and lying to the media isn't exactly covering that up.

The only good thing out of this is we get to see more of CJ Spiller in games now!

:lmao: I hope you're right, because he's actually making plays. Unfortunately, according to nfl.com and other sources - the team is likely to make Jackson the main back, with Spiller being more of a utility back that fills in for runs, passes and whenever Jackson gets tired.

Carolina Panther News: So, after Dwayne Jarrett was arrested once again on DUI charges - the team has decided to just cut their losses. As a result, we've signed David Clowney from the Jets.

As sad as this will sound, and no disrespect to Clowney (who was Favre's favorite target during the beginning of that season, 2 years ago) I think this is a great move considering Clowney will bring in experience and possible leadership. (I say it's sad, because he wasn't good enough to be 4th on their Depth Chart right now, and he's likely to become a starter, or 3rd string on ours within a week's time.)

As far as Dwayne Jarrett goes - people claim he's a bust, but I fail to see how. I mean, if you consider a bust someone who's rarely targeted because the team forcefully wants to get their top WR the ball every single passing down, then sure. Or perhaps you consider 90% of the passes Jarrett's way (most on 3rd down) he's caught, minus one critical one on Sunday (which wouldn't have mattered, with the clock expiring anyways) then absolutely.

Overall, I think Jarrett has talent and was merely misused in a poor Offense that struggles to make anyone (besides) Steve Smith look useful in the passing game. If he signs on with any team such as Detroit, St. Louis, Seattle, Cleveland, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, or even Chicago in my personal opinion - he'll become greater in the first few weeks than he's ever been in his entire (35 catch, 428 yd, 1 TD) 4 year career with Carolina.

Sure Carolina never had a decent QB while Jarrett was there, but I'd still consider him a bust. If he was truly a first round talent, he'd find a way to be productive, regardless of who was throwing him the ball.

He could probably still be a serviceable guy on a team that's really hurting at wideout, but I don't see anyone signing him at the moment.

In other news, I think the Eagles are in some serious trouble from here on out. They're only 2-2 and their best QB and best RB have rib injuries that could be lingering for awhile. Even if they have to put the offense in the hands of Kevin Kolb, Mike Bell and company for just 3 or 4 weeks, I think it'll be enough to all but destroy their playoff hopes.

There were trade rumors floating around about the Packers shipping off AJ Hawk. Not sure what teams said had interest, but the Packers were exploring the option, as they have a two guys who can man down the MLB spot with Barnett in Bishop and Chillar. I've never been that impressed with Hawk, so I wouldn't call him a leader. He certainly isn't worth his draft stock in my mind. He is a good player, but I'd say he is the 3rd best LB on the team behind Matthews and Barnett and I'm not sure he is a top 5 player on the defense. Since they have guys like Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, and Cullen Jenkins. Hawk would be easy to move if the Packers were serious about it considering they have good depth at LB and Hawk should garner interest since he plays all 3 LB positions.

Carolina Panther News: So, after Dwayne Jarrett was arrested once again on DUI charges - the team has decided to just cut their losses. As a result, we've signed David Clowney from the Jets.

As sad as this will sound, and no disrespect to Clowney (who was Favre's favorite target during the beginning of that season, 2 years ago) I think this is a great move considering Clowney will bring in experience and possible leadership. (I say it's sad, because he wasn't good enough to be 4th on their Depth Chart right now, and he's likely to become a starter, or 3rd string on ours within a week's time.)
I was sad to read this, since I'm a fan of Clowney (I even follow him on Twitter). He was solid for the Jets, but he is really just a burner. There is a reason Clowney wasn't good enough to be 4th on the Jets Depth Chart. Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith. The first 3 are EASILY better then Clown, and Smith is a much more versatile player, and a better overall receiver. Plus Clowney was shit on Special Teams (that was one of the storylines on Hard Knocks, for those who missed it).

As far as Dwayne Jarrett goes - people claim he's a bust, but I fail to see how. I mean, if you consider a bust someone who's rarely targeted because the team forcefully wants to get their top WR the ball every single passing down, then sure. Or perhaps you consider 90% of the passes Jarrett's way (most on 3rd down) he's caught, minus one critical one on Sunday (which wouldn't have mattered, with the clock expiring anyways) then absolutely.

Overall, I think Jarrett has talent and was merely misused in a poor Offense that struggles to make anyone (besides) Steve Smith look useful in the passing game. If he signs on with any team such as Detroit, St. Louis, Seattle, Cleveland, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, or even Chicago in my personal opinion - he'll become greater in the first few weeks than he's ever been in his entire (35 catch, 428 yd, 1 TD) 4 year career with Carolina.
I'm sorry Will, but 35 catches for 1 TD during a 4 year career means you suck. Jarrett sucks. And how would he get better going to places like Buffalo or Cleveland, who have a worse QB situation then Carolina?

EDIT: I forgot to mention this, but I nearly did a spit take when I was catching up on my Twitter feed, and saw Jay Glazer reporting that there are SERIOUS talks between the Pats and Vikings to send RANDY FRIGGIN MOSS back to Minnesota. Nothing official as of yet, but put Moss on the Vikings, and they should be able to resuscitate their season. And take Moss off the Pats, and I really can't see them winning the AFC East either. Losing Moss will effectively place Welker on Revis Island, which should help eliminate him when they play again in December, and if Defenses don't have to worry about Moss, Welker will suffer greatly.

Uhm, what? You're joking, right? I honestly hope this is an attempt at a joke; because there is no way in hell Green Bay (a pass-first team, who does just fine as such) would consider trading away a Defensive LEADER for a second rate RB with a short career, and history of personal problems.

No I wasn't joking. I was talking about at the start of the season when Grant went down, that they should've traded Lynch to Green Bay when there was rumors saying Hawk could be on his way out. The first week Hawk didn't even play much at all, so thats when the rumors started.

But yeah, offering Green Bay a 3rd round pick, and a RB that even on their own Depth Chart was ranked between 2nd and 3rd - isn't happening. EVER.

Well obviously it isn't happening, as he was traded to another team!!! Like I said I was just going off rumors from earlier in the year. But the way Hawk has played the last two games I doubt he is going anywhere this year now.

I was sad to read this, since I'm a fan of Clowney (I even follow him on Twitter). He was solid for the Jets, but he is really just a burner. There is a reason Clowney wasn't good enough to be 4th on the Jets Depth Chart. Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith. The first 3 are EASILY better then Clown, and Smith is a much more versatile player, and a better overall receiver. Plus Clowney was shit on Special Teams (that was one of the storylines on Hard Knocks, for those who missed it).

Well, thats just the type of WR Carolina needs right now, next to Steve Smith. We need someone who can be a deep threat, with one-on-one coverage - while Smith takes the remaining Defense along with him down the opposite sideline.

So, perhaps Clowney can contribute greater for us, in the shape we're in. (Of course, for this to happen - Steve Smith needs to return healthy, and our Offensive Coord. needs to understand Smith isn't the only WR we have; regardless of if the rest suck or not.)

We also don't/won't need him for ST's play. Our ST's is better this year than last, and our KRer (Goodson) is going to break one off very soon - I'm sure of it, especially after Sunday.

I'm sorry Will, but 35 catches for 1 TD during a 4 year career means you suck. Jarrett sucks. And how would he get better going to places like Buffalo or Cleveland, who have a worse QB situation then Carolina?

Simple. While it's unofficial - he caught 35 passes and my pure guess, being a die-hard who watched every game - he likely was ONLY targeted 40-50 times over the course of that 3 years/3 game career with us.

Again, he doesn't suck because of the lack of numbers he put up. He sucks statistically because our OC doesn't understand he needs to spread the ball around when Smith is double and triple covered; instead of trying to think it can be forced in anyways. (which, oddly enough it has been proven that it can be, but still.)

I think Jarrett could do better than 35 catches for 400 and some change, and a single TD.. is what I meant. On any of those other teams, he has the skills to be a pure possession WR. He was golden for us on 3rd down's.. infact, most of those 35 catches - came on 3rd down plays, or critical/important plays.

St. Louis could fit him in. Or Seattle, for that matter.

No I wasn't joking. I was talking about at the start of the season when Grant went down, that they should've traded Lynch to Green Bay when there was rumors saying Hawk could be on his way out. The first week Hawk didn't even play much at all, so thats when the rumors started.

Two things.

(1.) I was unaware actual trade talks for Hawk were in place, so my full apologies for being unaware.

(2.) I was unaware A.J. Hawk was apparently not as good as I thought he was. And by half as good - I meant, starting material. I thought he was a leader, and one of their better LB's. I guess it goes to show how much I follow GB.

When Randy Moss first came to Minnesota 12 years ago, he electrified a stagnant franchise and immediately turned the Vikings into Super Bowl contenders.

Now the Vikings need him to do it again.

The New England Patriots traded the seven-time Pro Bowl wide receiver to the Vikings on Wednesday, giving Moss the exit he expected all along and sending him back to the place where he became a superstar. Both teams announced the trade on their respective websites Wednesday morning.

There's no need to fret about missing any games. You can watch every contest again with Game Rewind. Get more information here.

A league source told NFL Network insider Michael Lombardi that the Patriots will receive a 2011 third-round draft pick in exchange for Moss. Lombardi also confirms the Patriots will give the Vikings a 2012 seventh-round pick in the deal.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick said his dealings with Moss have been "honest, thoughtful and with great mutual respect."

"While I will keep private the details of internal conversations with players and staff, suffice it to say that many things were taken into consideration before making the trade,” Belichick said in a statement released by the team. “In this business, there are complex and often difficult decisions, but it is my responsibility to make them based on what I feel is best for our football team, in both the short term and long term. I am grateful for the opportunity to have coached Randy Moss and aside from facing him as an opponent, I wish him the very best for the remainder of his Hall of Fame career."

The trade sends Moss back to Minnesota, where he played the first seven seasons of his career. Moss will go from catching passes from Tom Brady in New England to hauling in Brett Favre's throws with the Vikings, who desperately needed a downfield threat after Pro Bowl receiver Sidney Rice had hip surgery in August.

"We feel very good about the opportunity to add a player of Randy Moss' caliber to this football team,” Vikings coach Brad Childress told the team's official website . “He is a tremendous competitor and was an integral member of the Vikings organization from 1998-2004. Once again, ownership was completely supportive of our efforts to add a valuable football player to our team. I know the entire organization is thrilled to welcome him back to the Twin Cities and look forward to his contributions."

Unlock HQ Video HQ video delivered by Akamai

The Vikings play at the New York Jets on Monday night, and they are only three and a half weeks away from an Oct. 31 game in Foxborough, Mass., against the Patriots.

The Vikings began the year with championship aspirations after reaching the NFC title game in January. But they have lost two of their first three and Favre's game has struggled to get off the ground with Rice and Percy Harvin both struggling with injuries.

The Vikings have reverted to a run-first offense early this season, leaning heavily on Adrian Peterson while Favre tries to get on the same page with receivers. It's been a revolving door all year, with the Vikings trading for Greg Camarillo late in August and signing Hank Baskett in Week 3, four days before their game against the Lions.

"The problem is, it's been a new guy every week and you say, 'Okay, I'm going to play this guy at slot and this guy at flanker,' and then the next week you take the flanker and you move him to slot," Favre said after a win over Detroit.

The Vikings failed to trade for disgruntled Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson earlier this season, and Favre has said he would like to see another big receiver added to the roster.

Undoubtedly, the soon-to-be 41-year-old quarterback will be fine with who the Vikings got.

Favre openly campaigned for the Packers to acquire Moss when Oakland put him on the trade block in 2007. The Patriots ultimately ended up parting with a fourth-round pick to pry Moss away, and Favre privately fumed at the swing and miss by the Green Bay front office.

The Packers shipped Favre to the Jets in 2008 and he signed with the Vikings in 2009.

Now, Favre and Moss have finally been united.

Moss was a first-round draft pick of the Vikings in 1998 and spent his first seven seasons with Minnesota, where he emerged as one of the biggest playmakers in the league. He was traded to Oakland in 2005, where he languished for two years before being revitalized in New England.

Moss set an NFL record with 23 touchdown receptions in 2007, but is in the final season of a three-year, $27 million contract and has said several times that he expected 2010 to be his last season with the Patriots. He did not have a catch in a 41-14 win over Miami on Monday night.

"When you have done so much and put so much work in, it kind of feels like I am not wanted," Moss said in September. "I am taking that in stride and playing my final year out and whatever the future holds is what it holds, but it is kind of a bad feeling -- feeling not wanted."

NFL FANTASY LIVE
» Check out the show, Sundays at 11:30 a.m. ET
» Join the weekly live chat on NFL.com
» Follow Fantasy Live on Twitter and join the show!
» Join an NFL.com league - it's not too late to play!
» NFL Fantasy - your source for fantasy football

Moss later backtracked from those statements, telling The Associated Press that he hoped to finish his career with the Patriots.

"For me to be 33 years old, it's like I'm held at bay," he said. "If this is my last year here, I want to leave as good as I came in here in '07. I know that's really hard to duplicate, but I don't want the fans, the organization, coaches or my teammates to have a sour taste in their mouths about Randy Moss."

His agent, Joel Segal, said the Vikings have not contacted him about a long-term deal, so Moss joins a long list of Vikings in the final year of their contracts. Among them are Rice, linebackers Ben Leber and Chad Greenway and defensive end Ray Edwards.

Childress and vice president Rick Spielman were not in Minnesota during Moss's original seven years there, though there's no doubt he'll be welcomed with open arms.

He caught 574 passes for 9,142 yards and 90 touchdowns in his first stint with Minnesota, bursting onto the scene in 1998 by catching deep throws from Randall Cunningham and helping a record-breaking offense reach the NFC title game.

The entertaining style of football that he brought with him started a string of sellouts at the Metrodome that is still going 13 years later. His purple No. 84 jersey can still be seen regularly on the backs of fans, six years after he was traded Oakland.

But his time in Minnesota wasn't always smooth.

There was the time he bumped a traffic cop with his car in downtown Minneapolis, left the field early from a game in Washington, and several other occasions where he was fined for antics on the field, prompting the Vikings to trade him to the Raiders in 2005.

He hasn't had any of those types of problems in New England, but there were signs that his time with the Patriots was coming to an end. Monday night was the first time he has not caught a pass for the Patriots since joining them in 2007.
HOLY SHIT!

Looks like Portis' injury is going to keep him out 4-6 weeks. That's sucks because we have no real experience at running back. Ryan Torain will get the start Sunday against the Packers. Hopefully Shanahan still has some magic to turn no name guys into star backs. It will be interesting to see who the pick up before the game because they have to sign someone with some experience. Sucks for Portis though.

Week 5 review

Have to start with my pathetic Buffalo Bills. Unreal, the Bills finally show some life again on offense quite early in the game going up 10-0 fast. But the defense just falls apart. Letting Garrard throw at will completing 16/20 for 178 with 3 TD's. Also, letting up over 200 rushing yards again. Thank God for a bye week, get a week off from watching this disaster of a team.

Now to a big upset, the Cardinals beat the Saints 30-20. All TD's by Arizona were defensive with 2 fumble recoveries and pick to the house. Rookie Max Hall really didn't do any better than Anderson, throwing for 168 yards and a pick, but it was against a SB defense and his first NFL start so I'll cut him some slack. Brees had a rough day throwing 3 picks.

Falcons beat the Browns 20-10 as a Kory Biermann pick to the house was the icing on the cake late in the 4th quarter. Jake Delhomme came in for Seneca Wallace, Wallace suffered a ankle injury. With Peyton Hillis also banged up, Cleveland didn't get much going. Michael Turner had his second 100 yard rushing game of the season, rushing for 140 yards on 19 carries. Roddy White had about 3/4's of Matt Ryan's passing yards with 105 receiving yards and a TD.

The Colts squeaked out a win against the Chiefs in a game of field goals with the lone TD coming from Mike Hart rushing TD late in the 4th quarter to seal it for the Colts. Weird not to see Manning throw for any TD's.

Lions get their first win of the season, snapping the Rams winning streak at 2 games. Finally S. Jack gets his first 100 yard game of the season rushing for 114 yards. It was Bradford's first game to not throw for a TD as he threw for 215 yards with 2 picks, one of those housed in the 4th quarter. Shaun Hill had a strong performance throwing for 3 TD's 227 yards and no turnovers.

Bucs beat the Bengals in the final second in the game with a FG by Connor Barth. Carson Palmer interceptions are to blame on this one. You never know what Palmer is going to show up on game day. Owens recorded his second straight 100 yard game catching 7 passes for 102 yards and a TD. Benson had his best game of the season so far, rushing for 144 yards. Freeman looked pretty good out there throwing for 280 with a touch and a pick. Big ups to Buffalo's own Mike Williams who had his best day so far with 7 catches for 99 yards and a TD, with the TD being the game tying one.

Washington beat the Packers in OT 16-10. The Skins battled back after G.B. went up 13-3 in the 3rd quarter, to score 10 unanswered points in the 4th, and the winning FG in OT. Packers had a chance to win in regulation, but Crosby missed the FG. The Packers just gave them the game in OT, after the Rodhers int. 2 penalties to the Packers gave the Skins the game. McNabb went off for 357 yards passing with a TD and a pick, much better than last weeks game. Packers got hit with more injuries as well Finley, lee, Matthews and Rodgers has a concussion.

The Bears won an ugly one against the Panthers, in a very un-passing friendly game between the two teams. Neither team combined for 100 passing yards, with 7 picks total in the game. Todd Collins threw 4 of them with just 32 passing yards (his head is still probably ringing from last weeks game). Hanie took over and threw for only 19 yards. Clausen was pulled after just throwing for 61 yards with a pick. Moore stepped in only to do worse throwing for 35 yards and 2 picks. Only bright spot offensively the whole game was Matt Forte showing flashes of what he is supposed to do, rushing for 166 yards and 2 first quarter TD's also, the teams leading receiver with 2 catches for 22 yards.

The Ravens beat the Broncos 31-17 as the Ravens used the running game to win. Ray Rice put up his first 100 yard game of the season rushing for 133 yards with 2 TD's. McGahee added 67 yards with a TD and Flacco had 20 yards with a TD. Super Orton stayed hot throwing for another 314 yards with 2 TD's. Brandon Llyod had his third straight 100 yard receiving game with 5 cathces for 135 yards with 2 TD's. Even though it took some garbage yards to get there for both players, but still was a strong game by both. The running game is what is hurting Denver as they failed to gain yards on the ground.

Two weeks in a row now the Giants defense has played like they're supposed to, holding Arian Foster to just 25 yards rushing. Eli having a good game throwing for 297 with 3 TD's and 2 picks. Nicks with a very big day 12 catches for 130 yards with 2 TD's.

Philly held on to beat the 49ers to keep them winless. More Alex Smith turnovers cost them the game as he had three, 2 picks and a fumble that was housed in the 4th quarter. He rebounded to throw 2 TD's after the fumble, but the 49ers couldn't get ahead. Kolb had a solid game throwing for 253 yards with a TD. Despite Smith's turnovers he still threw for 309 yards with 3 TD's. Crabtree and Davis each had 105 yards receiving with a TD apiece.

Raiders beat the Chargers 35-27. Rivers threw for over 400 yards for the second time already this season with 431 yards with 2 TD's but his fumble to Tyvon Branch in the last minute that was returned for a TD put Oakland up 8. Campbell had to step in for Gradkowski in the 2nd quarter, ended up doing decent throwing for 159 yards completing 13/18 with a TD. Bush playing for the injured McFadden was able to gain 104 rushing yards with a TD. For the Chargers besides Rivers big passing day, Malcom Floyd had 213 yards on 8 catches. Gates had 5 for 92 with a TD.

Titans were able to put away the Cowboys 34-27. Dallas couldn't take the lead as all they could do was just keep tying the game, but then the Titans would answer back with a score of their own. Romo exploded for 406 yards passing with 3 TD's but also threw 3 picks. Miles Austin had a nice game with 9 catches for 166 yards and a TD. Felix Jones had a 109 yards rushing, as Barber continues to do nothing. Vince Young had another Vince Young type game 173 yards passing with 2 TD's no turnovers! Chris Johnson was back to his normal self rushing for 131 yards with 2 TD's, like I said last week he seems to have a pattern here, one week over 100 yards with 2 TD's then a crap week with nothing, we'll see if that continues now.

Deion Branch is returning to New England. This is a good move by the Pats and makes the Moss trade look better. They only had to give up one of their two 4th round picks for next year and they get a receiver who has had great chemistry with Tom Brady in the past. Branch will come in and be the number one guy right away allowing Welker to stay in his normal role.

Happy with the win over the Packers. McNabb has looked really good and the defense is solid. We couldn't run the ball for shit, though, so I expect to see the 'Skins pick up someone to try and help this running game. Its nice to be on top of the division with 2 division wins already. But the Giants look to be coming on strong now with that nasty defense, and the Eagles are still hanging around without Vick. While it may not be pretty, this should be an exciting division race.

Happy with the win over the Packers. McNabb has looked really good and the defense is solid. We couldn't run the ball for shit, though, so I expect to see the 'Skins pick up someone to try and help this running game. Its nice to be on top of the division with 2 division wins already. But the Giants look to be coming on strong now with that nasty defense, and the Eagles are still hanging around without Vick. While it may not be pretty, this should be an exciting division race.

Even though my post almost has nothing to do with Champ's post, I just wanted to quote a fellow Redskins fan.

Anyway, for all of you looking out for the next breakout wide receiver, look no further than No. 13 on the Washington Redskins, Anthony Armstrong. Mark my words: this guy is going to be something special.

Also, I'm thinking the Redskins will be upsetting the Colts this weekend. It's a home game for the Redskins, so you know they'll have a very pumped up crowd after last week's win over Green Bay. Also, the Colts defense is spotty at best, so look for a great offensive performance from the 'Skins this week.

Even though my post almost has nothing to do with Champ's post, I just wanted to quote a fellow Redskins fan.

Anyway, for all of you looking out for the next breakout wide receiver, look no further than No. 13 on the Washington Redskins, Anthony Armstrong. Mark my words: this guy is going to be something special.

Also, I'm thinking the Redskins will be upsetting the Colts this weekend. It's a home game for the Redskins, so you know they'll have a very pumped up crowd after last week's win over Green Bay. Also, the Colts defense is spotty at best, so look for a great offensive performance from the 'Skins this week.

I like our chances against the Colts too. McNabb has been playing well, and is reminding me of when he was with the Eagles. No big name recievers, but he continues to make it work. At you said tdigs, the crowd should be pumped with the 'Skins sitting in first in the East and a big win over the Packers. I'm going to go to the other of the ball and say our defense will be what gets us the win. Our stats really don't show it, but our defense keeps getting better. I like what Haslett is doing with them and I expect them to come up big.

Week 6

I'm thankful I got a week off from watching the train wreck of the Buffalo Bills.

K.C./Houston - Was a pretty good game. Chiefs had the game until 21 points in the 4th quarter, with the go ahead TD with 28 seconds left to win it for the Texans. Cassel had a solid day with 201 passing yards with 3 TD's. Dwayne Bowe showed up this week with 6 catches for 108 yards and 2 TD's. Thomas Jones had his first 100 yard rushing game this year with 100 yards and a TD, Charles added 93 himself. On the other side Schaub had his best game since week 2, throwing for 305 yards with 2 TD's. Arian Foster with 71 rushing yards with 2 TD's. Andre Johnson with 8 catches for 138 yards and a TD. The Texans lost a huge piece of their defense, with DeMecco Ryans gone for the season as he ruptured Achilles tendon.

Seattle beating the Bears 23-20. Bears pulled within 3 with just under two minutes left with a 89 yard punt return by Devin Hester, but failed to recover the onside kick. In a division that everyone thought was gonna be the 49ers, it might end up being Seattle's. Hasselbeck had a decent game with 242 yards and a TD. Mike Williams stepped up huge with 10 catches for 123 yards. Marshawn Lynch had 44 rushing yards with a TD in his Seattle debut. Seattle defense recorded 6 sacks against Cutler and his return from the beating he took from NYG two weeks ago. Cutler ended up with 290 yards with no TD's. Matt Forte went from a stellar week last week to not even 20 yards this week, but he did get the Bears first TD.

Patriots were also a 23-20 winner, beating the Ravens late in OT. Flacco looked pretty good out there, having 285 yards passing with 2 TD's. Mason with a solid game with 8 catches for 100 his yards. Boldin had 63 yards and his first TD since scroing 3, 3 weeks ago. The return of Deion Branch was very beneficial in helping the Patriots win, as he scored a TD in the 4th to bring them within 3, then his catches in OT to setup the winning FG, he ended up with 9 catches for 98 yards and the TD. Brady had his most passing yards of the season with 292 yards with a TD and 2 picks.

In another 23-20 OT game, the Dolphins beat the banged up Packers. Henne provided a decent game with 231 yards passing with 2 TD's and a pick. Marshall with a big game with 10 catches for 127 yards. Rodgers didn't miss anytime from the concussion he suffered last week and looked pretty good out there, with 313 yards passing 1 TD and a rushing TD that tied the game with 13 seconds left. Jennings had a big day with a 86 yard TD, ended up with 6 for 133.

For a team that should be easily 6-0 because of the teams they played so far, are actually 2-4, as the Chargers lost to the Rams 20-17. Chargers never had the lead at all in this game. Bradford might not be putting up the big numbers like an overall number QB, but he is doing alright out there. He threw for 198 yards and a TD. S.Jack had his second 100 yard rushing game in a row, with 109 and a TD. Rookie Danario Alexander made his season debut with 4 catches for 72 yards and a TD. Rivers had a solid game with 249 yards passing with a TD and a pick. Crayton had his biggest day as a Charger with 6 catches for 117 yards. To make matters worse for S.D. Gates went down ankle injury and Flyod with a hamstring injury.

Giants got their third win in a row beating the Lions 28-20. The Lions were never really out of this game, but the penalties ruined their chances of winning. Eli had a decent game with 177 yards passing with 2 TD's. The team of Bradshaw/Jacobs worked well as Bradshaw ran for 133 yards setting up 2 TD's for Jacobs. That brutal NYG defense knocked another QB out, with Shaun Hill breaking his arm. Osi had another 2 sack day, making that 7 in three weeks. Drew Stanton took over once Hill broke his arm and had a good game throwing 222 yards, including a 87 yard TD pass to Calvin Johnson. Johnson had 5 catches for 146 yards. The Lions season is gonna get real interesting with Stafford set to comeback after their bye week next week.

In a battle of the birds. The Eagles beat the Falcons 31-17. Eagles had a 21-0 lead and never let the Falcons get within a two score lead. Kolb had a very good game passing for 326 yards with 3 TD's and a pick. DeSean Jackson had a big first quarter with a rushing TD and a receiving TD before being knocked out of the game with a concussion. Maclin stepped up for the injury to Jackson, catching 7 passes for 159 yards with 2 TD's. Matt Ryan was pretty good with 250 passing yards with 2 TD's and a pick. Turner was back to his hit or miss type game, this game being a miss as he only gained 45 yards on 15 carries.

Steelers beat the Browns 28-10 in Big Ben's first game off suspension. He had a pretty good game with 257 yards passing 3 TD's and a pick. Colt McCoy had a good game considering his first career start was against the Pitt. defense, throwing for 281 yards with a TD and 2 picks. Ben Watson was his goto guy catching 6 passes for 88 yards and a TD.

Saints exposed the Bucs winning 31-6. Brees was solid with 263 yards passing with 3 TD's and a pick. Rookie Chris Ivory had a big day rushing, as he gained 158 yards on 15 carries.

Jets beat the Broncos 24-20 in a very close game, but 2 LT 4th quarter rushing TD's got the win for the Jets. LT finished the day with 55 yards and the 2 TD's. Sanchez had his first turnovers of the season throwing 2 picks, finished the day with 198 yards passing with a TD and the 2 picks. So Super Orton didn't have over 300 yards, he still played alright though throwing 209 yards with a TD. Moreno played for the first time in 4 weeks and had 48 yards rushing. Good to see him back because their run game was horrid with him out. Tebow scored his first NFL TD with a 5 yard rush. Brandon Lloyd also came off cloud nine with only 4 catches for 74 yards, still a productive game though.

49ers got their first win of the season beating the Raiders 17-9. Frank Gore had a big day gaining 149 yards on the ground. Alex Smith actually didn't throw any ints. and they win!! He ended up with 196 yards with 2 TD's. Vernon Davis scored a TD for the third straight week. After last weeks good game from Campbell, he was back to not looking so good, throwing for only 83 yards with 2 picks. Funny how Al Davis says that any player is available on the team for trade, I don't see to nobody really leaving as anyone of value on the team has a huge contract.

Vikings beat the Cowboys 24-21 in a very close game. Favre didn't have a lot of passing yards, throwing for only 118 with a TD but no interceptions for the first time all year. AP was decent gaining 73 yards on the ground with a TD. Moss was a non-factor the first half the game, but seen the ball more in the second half. Harvin exploded for a 95 yard kick return for a TD in the third quarter, that nobody had a chance of catching him. Romo threw 3 TD's passes again, but the 2 picks that he threw were costly as Minn. turned those into points. Dez Bryant scored his first NFL TD on his only catch of the game.

Colts beat the Skins 27-24. Peyton threw for 307 yards with 2 TD's. Addai went over the 100 yard mark for the first time this season with 128 yards and a TD. Garcon had a good game with 4 catches for 103 yards and a TD, including a sick one handed catch. The Skins had two chances to tie the game after the late McNabb TD pass but failed to do so. McNabb ended up with 246 yards passing with a TD and 2 picks. Torain had a good game rushing for 100 yards and 2 TD's. Shanahan and McNabb have to find more ways to get this team in the end zone and they'll be a really big threat.

It's nice to have Big Ben back on the field. He can leave his off the field antics wherever the Fuck, because I'm not one to support that shit, but the guy can play ball. As long as he continues to do that and stay out of trouble, I'm going to cheer him when he plays well. Any other "incidents" he's dead to me and will receive nothing but boo's when I'm at the games, good play be damned.

I thought the Redskins played pretty well last night, just couldn't finsih the job. They had a big defensive stop and gave themselves a shot to win it but couldn't connect. The defense has 3 dropped INTs, and you would like to see them make those catches. The offense played pretty well, with Torrain rushing good, getting over 100 yards rushing. I liked the effort, and hopefully they can continue to play well but witha a better result.

In other games, the 49ers were pretty lucky to have played the Raiders on Sunday. They didn't play good, but it looked good because the Raiders were just so bad. It was really a terrible game to watch, and did nothing to make me change my mind that 49ers are not a good team and will not turn it around.

Also, I have to turn my attention to the Jets/Broncos game. I agree with Peter King in his MMQB that pass interference should not be a spot foul but at the most a 15 yarder. The Jets on 4th and 6 tossed what basically was a prayer of a pass and got the call. While it was the right call, they got 48 yards out of that and basically was given the game. The rule needs to be changed.

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers linebacker James Harrison states his objective matter-of-factly: He's out to hurt any opposing player who roams into his vicinity

If he sees players down on the turf -- as he did Sunday when he sidelined Cleveland Browns wide receivers Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi with concussion-causing hits just minutes apart -- he knows he has done his job.

"I don't want to injure anybody," Harrison said following Pittsburgh's 28-10 victory. "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people."

Harrison's reputation as being one of the NFL's nastiest players was enhanced when his leading-with-the-helmet hits on Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi left the Browns with just two healthy wide receivers for more than a half. Neither hit was penalized, although the NFL said Monday that it is reviewing the hit on Massaquoi. The league determined Cribbs' tackle was legal.

Harrison's style of play is raising questions about whether it's possible to stay within the rules yet also play dirty. While the Browns weren't especially critical of the hits following the game, tight end Benjamin Watson was more outspoken Monday.

"I hope the NFL does the max," Watson said. "Whatever the max is, I hope they give it to him."

Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, said the league could soon start suspending players for dangerous helmet-to-helmet hits.

The NFL is emphasizing a reduction in football concussions, which can lead to dementia and brain disease.

The crown of Harrison's helmet slammed into the left side of Cribbs' helmet as the wide receiver was running a Wildcat formation play, causing him to crumple face-first into the turf. He appeared to be momentarily knocked out. Because Cribbs was a runner, such helmet-to-helmet contact is permissible.

"I thought Cribbs was asleep," Harrison said. "A hit like that geeks you up, especially when you find out the guy is not really hurt, he's just sleeping. He's knocked out, but he's going to be OK."

Harrison struck Massaquoi with his helmet as he rammed his right forearm and shoulder into the wide receiver to break up a pass. NFL rules now require a defender to give a receiver time to defend himself before he absorbs such a hit.

Harrison argued it would be a "travesty" if he was fined, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin also said it was a legal hit. However, the outside linebacker has drawn fines in the past for his aggressive style of play.

Harrison drew a $5,000 penalty for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf Sept. 19 on a play that also wasn't penalized. Harrison also was fined $5,000 last season for unnecessary roughness following a late hit on Cincinnati Bengals tackle Andrew Whitworth. In 2008, Harrison drew a $20,000 fine for criticizing a roughing-the-passer penalty against him.

The Steelers haven't publicly discouraged Harrison from playing with an edge, believing it enhances their image as one of the NFL's toughest, physical and most intimidating defenses. Following Sunday's game, safety Ryan Clark called Harrison "an animal," and wide receiver Hines Ward termed him "a beast" -- and both were being complimentary.

"You see a guy like that, knocking guys out like that ... he's a man on a mission," Ward said. "He sets the tempo for everybody."

Harrison said he doesn't want to put any player out of a game or jeopardize his career. Still, the former Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year realizes it can be difficult to draw a line between merely hurting a player and badly injuring him as hits are being delivered so quickly, there's no time to consider the consequences.

Tomlin appeared to suggest that younger players looking for a role model to copy for physical play might find him in Harrison, who was chosen as an AFC Pro Bowl starter the last three seasons.

"James is always ready to deliver for his teammates," Tomlin said. "That's why they have so much respect for him. He's a good football player, man. He always delivers timely performances when you need them. Talking to a lot of young players, they want to know the recipe for being a dominant, great player. It's not only delivering plays, but delivering plays at a timely manner -- significant plays. And he does that for the most part."

I personally think James Harrison deserves to be suspended. The quote "There's a big difference between being hurt and being injured. You get hurt, you shake it off and come back the next series or the next game. I try to hurt people." is enough to warrant him being fined, if not out-right suspended for multiple games.

I mean, seriously, think about this. Here you have a player on a team full of hard hitting individuals and he's treating this like its perfectly okay to 'hurt' other players? Uhm, WTF?! You don't go out there and play the game to hurt, or injure, in any way. You go out to win. Not to harm.

To make matters worse, you have idiots like Hines Ward who give positive reaction to Harrison's hits and injuries to others, by saying "he's setting a tempo for everyone else." Ward, who has been fined for dirty hits and injuries in his own past, is the last person who deserves to lay claim on anyone playing cleanly and 'setting the tempo'.

Its not like the Cleveland Browns were a huge threat to the Steelers to begin with, but taking out their two best targets and stars almost makes it look like Pittsburgh was intentionally head-hunting and trying to make sure they didn't have what little chance they may of ever had, to begin with.

Again, this is just pathetic, and nothing more than a guy who needs put in his place - suspended, fined and honestly more. As in a personal threat that if these types of actions continue to happen - he could be banned from playing in general.

Obviously you've never played football, or interacted with football players in any way. Pretty much every single player on the field, aside from the QB of course, is looking to hurt somebody on every single play. It's what makes blocking and defense fun.

I honestly see nothing wrong in the hit, or his comments, I enjoyed both actually.

Obviously you've never played football, or interacted with football players in any way.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. For what its worth, I actually have played Football in school before, and not once did our HC ever tell any of our players to go out and "try hurting someone".

Pretty much every single player on the field, aside from the QB of course, is looking to hurt somebody on every single play.

Uhm, no? You go out to play, have fun, and in the Professional realm of the game - win to make money. Not attempt injuring others and ending their careers. Thats just unsportsmanlike.

It's what makes blocking and defense fun.

Actually, what makes Defensive plays fun would be watching turnovers, and legal big hits. Ya know, the type that aren't considered intent to injure.

When a player (Harrison, in this case) is actually going out and telling the media he's willingly going out to 'hurt' (not injure, albeit there's a really thin line between the two) it's a serious concern the league needs to have.

I won't disagree that I've 'popped' for big hits, and even the illegal ones. But I'm not about to say I agree with them. As a fan watching, its what you do - you enjoy violence in this sport, and (especially if your team is the one delivering it) you want to see more. But on the flip side, I'm more than sure if the hits are coming against your team - you're up and screaming at the television for a flag and an ejection.

I honestly see nothing wrong in the hit, or his comments, I enjoyed both actually.

I question you being a Steelers fan, but besides that more so just naive and uncaring in the well being of others.

Why don't you try going out onto the field, taking one of those 'hurtful hits' and coming back to tell me you still enjoyed being apart of it - then watching the guy who hit you, talking about how much he enjoyed it and willingly will continue to do it to others.

I have ZERO problem with his comments. You go out there to be physical and smack people in the mouth. That shit doesn't tickle, it hurts. That's what Harrison goes out there to do. Will I think you're overreacting to his comments and reading too far into them. Saying you go out there to hurt someone is no where near going out there to injure someone. I'll take harrison on my team anyday, because he knows how to play defense and set the tone for the rest of the team.

I have ZERO problem with his comments. You go out there to be physical and smack people in the mouth. That shit doesn't tickle, it hurts. That's what Harrison goes out there to do. Will I think you're overreacting to his comments and reading too far into them. Saying you go out there to hurt someone is no where near going out there to injure someone. I'll take harrison on my team anyday, because he knows how to play defense and set the tone for the rest of the team.
Dude, Will is right.

Football is NOT about HURTING another player. Football is about scoring more points then the other, and keeping the other guys out of the end zone. Harrison INJURED 2 Browns players (actually their 2 most talented offensive players, too). Cribbs was injured on a legal hit, and Massequoi was INJURED on an ILLEGLAL hit. This isn't the first time he hit people illegally, and it likely won't be the last (thankfully now the NFL will start suspending players for these attempted murder-hits). A defensive player has the INTENT to cause long-term serious harm to an opponent when he goes after the guys head, regardless of what he says. Rodney Harrison (a cheap-shot artist himself) even said that the only way to counteract these illegal, life-threatening hits is by suspending players.

It's about damn time the NFL cracks down on these attempted murder-hits. People get paralyzed because of incorrect tackling. The player for the Bills a couple years ago nearly was paralyzed. A kid at Rutgers got paralyzed on Saturday. And people want to see people willingly, knowingly, attack another players head? You guys are fucking sick. Do you even want to see an NFL player pull a Chris Benoit because his brain is fucked up from all the concussions? I fucking hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back