NFL Thread - 2010-11

Honestly Leinart was actually having a solid pre season. He wasn't making many big plays but he wasn't getting many opportunities either. I'm by no means a Leinart fan but he is certainly a better choice then Derek Anderson. People seem to think that Anderson can just relive his 2007 season but he has shown no signs of being capable of doing that. In fact his 2007 season is vastly overrated by many people. He only completed 56.5% of his passes and threw 19 picks with a qb rating of 82.5. That's a good season but by no means was it great and he has been complete shit since then. With Leinart I had the Cardinals at 8-8 maybe 9-7. With Anderson they'll get 7 wins max.

I definitely agree. Even if Leinart doesn't do anything to shed the bust label, at least you would have given him the shot to do so. Especially when you don't have a better option for winning right now. And make no mistake, if they have the right QB, they can win the very weak NFC West.

You didn't point out what you were talking about. Not my fault.
And the Jets still have good CBs behind Cromartie too. They drafted Kyle Wilson and have Kyle Lowrie as their 4th CB, assuming Revis is back. If Wilson pans out that's a real solid 1-4.

No, you were wrong. Continue being a pussy though.

No it doesn't. It makes much more sense, your win/losses were just absurd. The Titan's will be a solid team, no doubt, but the way you had them they were going to make a good push in the PLayoffs. This year is not the year imo. They still need a receiver, short of your new DE being an absolute monster it's going to take a year or 2 for him to get into the rhythm. Basically their pass rush has been lacking without Al and the new DC.

The team needs another year or 2 before they make a lot of post season noise imo.

No it doesn't. It makes much more sense, your win/losses were just absurd. The Titan's will be a solid team, no doubt, but the way you had them they were going to make a good push in the PLayoffs. This year is not the year imo. They still need a receiver, short of your new DE being an absolute monster it's going to take a year or 2 for him to get into the rhythm. Basically their pass rush has been lacking without Al and the new DC.

The team needs another year or 2 before they make a lot of post season noise imo.

Not worried at all about our pressure. Jim Washburn is the best defensive line coach in the league and guys produce in the system. Guys like Jason Jones and Jacob Ford will step up this year. Jones has been having a great season and Derrick Morgan has looked really solid in his limited play. I'll be happy to quote you guys in a couple of months, just like Schefter said "loaded with good, young unheralded talent whom few people outside the Titans' organization know. "

So, the STEELERS have apparently lost their starter (Leftwich - possible MCL tear) in Ben's abscense and today we await the "new" terms of the suspension. I personally like Dennis Dixon as opposed to Leftwich anyway, but Dixon did not shine when given the starting spot in pre-season. So, my question is this...Should the STEELERS start Dixon now (IMO, yes), or, do they go with a proven Vet that rarely does a terrible job in Charlie Batch? I think at this point, Dixon brings more to the table and while there is certainly more of a chance that he can cost them a game with bad decisions, there is also more of an upside with his playmaking ability. His legs give them a chance to extend drives that Charlie clearly wouldn't have. Let's just hope Ben's suspension gets reduced today!!

So, the STEELERS have apparently lost their starter (Leftwich - possible MCL tear) in Ben's abscense and today we await the "new" terms of the suspension. I personally like Dennis Dixon as opposed to Leftwich anyway, but Dixon did not shine when given the starting spot in pre-season. So, my question is this...Should the STEELERS start Dixon now (IMO, yes), or, do they go with a proven Vet that rarely does a terrible job in Charlie Batch? I think at this point, Dixon brings more to the table and while there is certainly more of a chance that he can cost them a game with bad decisions, there is also more of an upside with his playmaking ability. His legs give them a chance to extend drives that Charlie clearly wouldn't have. Let's just hope Ben's suspension gets reduced today!!

You're tripping. You have to be smoking something if you think Dixon is capable of winning in Pittsburgh. He cant throw for shit and a running game in Pittsburgh is pretty much non existent with Fumblehall. Our line is a joke. While Ben is gone Leftwich gave them there best chance to win. Dixon lost a game last year against Baltimore because he could not read an easy zone defense. Pittsburgh is the city of loving back up QB's. I like Dixon and he has the potential to be a serviceable back up but he needs to learn how to read a defense. He plays good against 3rd stringers but when the first are out there he looks lost. If Dixon can't read a zone, what makes you think he'll be able to read a tougher defense?

Roethlisbergers suspension will get reduced to 4 games. I love Ben, don't get wrong, but it's laughable to think you deserve an even more reduced suspension.

I still think the Steelers will win 10 games. But it's more based on that defense. Not that offense.

I honestly think Pittsburgh should start Charlie Batch. He knows the offense a whole hell of a lot more then Dixon does, and he also doesn't turn the ball over as much as Dixon will. Dixon's running ability is nice but that offensive line and offense in general isn't built for a Dennis Dixon like scrambler. Starting Dixon will do more harm then good at this point.

With Big Ben most likely out 4 games, the Steelers need to go 2-2 and it is definitely possible. They start at home against the ATL, then at the Titans, at Tampa, and home against the Ravens. Tampa will be a win, Baltimore will most likely be a loss, and then they just need to split the ATL and Tennessee games.

You're tripping. You have to be smoking something if you think Dixon is capable of winning in Pittsburgh. He cant throw for shit and a running game in Pittsburgh is pretty much non existent with Fumblehall. Our line is a joke. While Ben is gone Leftwich gave them there best chance to win. Dixon lost a game last year against Baltimore because he could not read an easy zone defense. Pittsburgh is the city of loving back up QB's. I like Dixon and he has the potential to be a serviceable back up but he needs to learn how to read a defense. He plays good against 3rd stringers but when the first are out there he looks lost. If Dixon can't read a zone, what makes you think he'll be able to read a tougher defense?

Roethlisbergers suspension will get reduced to 4 games. I love Ben, don't get wrong, but it's laughable to think you deserve an even more reduced suspension.

I still think the Steelers will win 10 games. But it's more based on that defense. Not that offense.

Bro, you're fucking crazy if you think Dixon lost the game in Baltimore last year. He kept us in that game. Yes, he made ONE BAD READ, but that does not negate the fact that he played incredibly well to that point. I'm not saying that Dixon could ever be a long term starter in the Burgh, or for any team for that matter (at least at this point). But you are making my point for me when you talk about how bad our O-line is. Leftwich would have had his ass handed to him game in and game out, and Batch won't be much better. Luckily enough it's a lock that Pouncey gets the start over the most garbage center in the league in Hartwig. Leftwich has a longer wind up than most pitchers in the MLB. Do you really think that would serve us well with an O-Line that is suspect at best? Dixon isn't quite ready to be a starter in the league, but over the course of four games he is our best option at the moment. Even if Leftwich was healthy it would be a toss up at best. They both bring different skills and shortcomings to the table, but I think Dixon is geared more towards our weaknesses as a team. Regardless, we need to pound and pound and pound the ball to get us through this stetch. Mendenhall will figure out how to carry the rock and when his does, he is nothing short of a beast. I like what Redman's shown and Moore will more than suffice. 10 games is wishful thinking, though if our Defense stays injury free and plays to the level they are capable of, it's not out of the question.

P.S. If you think the running game will be non existant, then I would suggest that YOU sir may be the one taking rips off the bong!!

Bro, you're fucking crazy if you think Dixon lost the game in Baltimore last year. He kept us in that game. Yes, he made ONE BAD READ, but that does not negate the fact that he played incredibly well to that point.

Did you watch that Baltimore game? One long td run does not equal Dixon keeping them in the game. He was 12-26 for 145 yards 1 td and 1 pick. When you only complete 46% of your passes and have a qb rating of 60.6 that isn't very good. He had one good scramble and that was really the only impressive play he had.

The defense and running game helped them in that game more then anything. As a team the Steelers ran for just over 150 yards and averaged about 4 yards per carry. The defense also helped by forcing 2 turnovers and holding the Ravens offense to only 6 second half points. Dixon was shit for the most part in that game.

I honestly think Pittsburgh should start Charlie Batch. He knows the offense a whole hell of a lot more then Dixon does, and he also doesn't turn the ball over as much as Dixon will. Dixon's running ability is nice but that offensive line and offense in general isn't built for a Dennis Dixon like scrambler. Starting Dixon will do more harm then good at this point.

With Big Ben most likely out 4 games, the Steelers need to go 2-2 and it is definitely possible. They start at home against the ATL, then at the Titans, at Tampa, and home against the Ravens. Tampa will be a win, Baltimore will most likely be a loss, and then they just need to split the ATL and Tennessee games.

I agree they need to go 2-2, unfortunately I think Atlanta especially and to a lesser extent Tennesee are going to be really tough games. I'll grant you that our O-Line isn't taylor made for Dixon, but right now, they're not really taylor made for....anything. However, given their deficiencies, I'd say Dixon is better suited for the job. Not "if" but "when" defenders break through the line, at least Dixon has a CHANCE to scramble and make a play. It will be a rarity that the resulting play will be a nice pass for a serviceable yardage gain, but hey, if he's getting first downs by running six yds, then sliding or getting out of bounds, is that not better than lying flat on his back? I'm not delusional in thinking that this is a perfect situation for us, far from it, but given our options, I'm inclined to think that Dixon is the piece that fits best in this cluster fuck of a puzzle.

That being said, if they do end up starting Batch, I won't be entirely dissappointed. Charlie has been the consumate team player and professional in his time here, and is a good bet to be a QB coach in the not too disant future for a team lucky enough to land him. He reminds me of Townsend in that while he may not be the BEST option to have on the field, he has that player/coach feel to him and brings a sense of calm to those around him. There is no denying his leadership qualities and if he does in fact start, I think we'll manage.

If I were Mike Tomlin I would start Charlie Batch. Why not have the guy who will make the least mistakes, knows your offense and has some respect in the locker room lead your offense for 4 games while Mendenhall pounds the rock? You don't need a difference maker for those 4 guys, you need a game manager who can keep you at a .500 record until Big Ben gets back. I don't understand why Batch hasn't even been discussed, he's always played solid in his relief time.

Did you watch that Baltimore game? One long td run does not equal Dixon keeping them in the game. He was 12-26 for 145 yards 1 td and 1 pick. When you only complete 46% of your passes and have a qb rating of 60.6 that isn't very good. He had one good scramble and that was really the only impressive play he had.

The defense and running game helped them in that game more then anything. As a team the Steelers ran for just over 150 yards and averaged about 4 yards per carry. The defense also helped by forcing 2 turnovers and holding the Ravens offense to only 6 second half points. Dixon was shit for the most part in that game.

Of course I watched the game, at hunting camp no less. You take a rookie w/Zero starts in the league and put him up against the Ravens D and see if any play better. He wasn't great, but given the circumstances, I didn't think he played terrible at all. Obviously I can't remember every play, but I do think he had one or two other runs for first downs aside from the TD scramble. I may have gone a little overboard with what I was saying, but he certainly wasn't costing us left and right through the course of the game. I'm not championing this guy as the next great scrambling QB, I'm simply saying that he is servicable, and with the ineptitude of our O-Line, may be the best man for the job given the circumstances.

Bull shit, Dixon made several bad decisions that game. One 30 yd run doesn't negate 55 minutes of mediocre play. If we didn't have a defense forcing turnovers the Steelers get shut out. No way Dixon kept us in that game. His stats didn't match up. Really executed nothing.

Dixon had opportunities to win that game and he didn't. They put the ball in his hands once in 60 minutes and he failed. Look at the pre season Denver game as another example of bad choices. He looked like shit.

Batch deserves to start. He knows that offense and he is capable of making more throws than Dixon.

When you look at all those average QB's you come to realize how good

If the Steelers can't run the ball effectively for 4 weeks they lose. I know our running game blows life but they need to take pressure off the QB...

Bull shit, Dixon made several bad decisions that game. One 30 yd run doesn't negate 55 minutes of mediocre play. If we didn't have a defense forcing turnovers the Steelers get shut out. No way Dixon kept us in that game. His stats didn't match up. Really executed nothing.

Dixon had opportunities to win that game and he didn't. They put the ball in his hands once in 60 minutes and he failed. Look at the pre season Denver game as another example of bad choices. He looked like shit.

Batch deserves to start. He knows that offense and he is capable of making more throws than Dixon.

When you look at all those average QB's you come to realize how good

If the Steelers can't run the ball effectively for 4 weeks they lose. I know our running game blows life but they need to take pressure off the QB...

I don't know what you were expecting out a rookie QB, but he played well enough that we were in the game, late.

Enough about the Baltimore game though. Batch hasn't had hardly any snaps during the pre-season yet, will that affect his play? I was watching the PITT debacle last night, but from what I've heard Charlie was relugated to hand off duty only last night. I don't know where all the hate for the run game comes from though. What were Mendenhall's stats last year again? 1,100 yds? I wouldn't call that shit. Aside from our running game though, I think we need to establish Heath Miller as the prescence he should be. He is one the the most underated, albeit under used, TE's in the leage. Regardless of QB, we're going to need to get the ball out quickly and I think Miller is just the guy to help facilitate that.

Once again the AFC North is going to be one of the best divisions in the NFL so it's a plus that Ben will be there for all except the first Baltimore game.

I don't know what you were expecting out a rookie QB, but he played well enough that we were in the game, late.
Turnovers turnovers turnovers.

Enough about the Baltimore game though. Batch hasn't had hardly any snaps during the pre-season yet, will that affect his play? I was watching the PITT debacle last night, but from what I've heard Charlie was relugated to hand off duty only last night. I don't know where all the hate for the run game comes from though. What were Mendenhall's stats last year again? 1,100 yds? I wouldn't call that shit. Aside from our running game though, I think we need to establish Heath Miller as the prescence he should be. He is one the the most underated, albeit under used, TE's in the leage. Regardless of QB, we're going to need to get the ball out quickly and I think Miller is just the guy to help facilitate that.
You wanna talk about a runner that piled up most of his stats on like four games? Mendenhall is that dude. Against any average defense he sucked. I wouldn't call that racking up stats. That's like having Matt Berkley throw 5 tds against a soft defense and say he's a heisman candidate. It's all about what they do in the big games. And Mendenhall wasn't really there. And Millers been used a hell of a lot more than you think. Didn't he have over 50 receptions last year? That's a shit load for a third or fourth option.

Once again the AFC North is going to be one of the best divisions in the NFL so it's a plus that Ben will be there for all except the first Baltimore game.
You can go 6-0 in the division and still lose it do to overall record. They still have the ability to win three games without Ben but it'll be tough. But that's depending on QB play. The Steelers offense has looked bad without Ben. Especially the first string. It's okay though, you don't game plan around a non sensed game.

Turnovers turnovers turnovers.

You wanna talk about a runner that piled up most of his stats on like four games? Mendenhall is that dude. Against any average defense he sucked. I wouldn't call that racking up stats. That's like having Matt Berkley throw 5 tds against a soft defense and say he's a heisman candidate. It's all about what they do in the big games. And Mendenhall wasn't really there. And Millers been used a hell of a lot more than you think. Didn't he have over 50 receptions last year? That's a shit load for a third or fourth option.

You can go 6-0 in the division and still lose it do to overall record. They still have the ability to win three games without Ben but it'll be tough. But that's depending on QB play. The Steelers offense has looked bad without Ben. Especially the first string. It's okay though, you don't game plan around a non sensed game.

I agree that Miller's been used more the last two years, but still not enough. With Holme's gone and Wallace inevitably recieving the double teams he's not used to seeing, this should be Heath's breakout/pro bowl year. Also, Mendenhall should not take all of the blame for some of his less than stellar games. It's hard to rack up yards when you're being hit while recieving the hand off. You may think I'm wrong, but I blame the Line for just about everything that is wrong with our offense. I see Rashard with at least 10 games over 100yds this year. Redman will spell him every so often and possibly in short yardage and Mewelde as the change of pace back, as well as receiver out of the backfield.

So The Jets have apparently got a deal done with Revis. The deal is apparently for 4 years I believe and about 16 million per. I think this is a great move for The Jets and Revis both sides get what they want. It should be interesting to see how Revis looks after sitting out some training camp and missing the preseason now he goes against Anquan Boldin in a week. Good Luck Anquan.

So The Jets have apparently got a deal done with Revis. The deal is apparently for 4 years I believe and about 16 million per. I think this is a great move for The Jets and Revis both sides get what they want. It should be interesting to see how Revis looks after sitting out some training camp and missing the preseason now he goes against Anquan Boldin in a week. Good Luck Anquan.

I said it over 9000 times it seems, but I said there was no way in hell he'd hold out all year. Now it's proven, and he'll be ready to go for Week 1.

Basically the deal is for either 32 guaranteed over 4 years. That's pretty much what he (or other players of his caliber) deserves in terms of guaranteed money. Thank god for Rex Ryan going to South Beach to meat with Revis this weekend.

The way I see it, if Michael Strahan can have a great year his last season without any training camp, Revis (a younger player) can do the same.

Good luck Anquan Boldin is right. Fantasy owners better sit him, and other receivers Revis is covering.

It looks like right after signing TJ the Ravens turned around and traded Mark Clayton to the Rams. This is a good move for both teams. The Ravens don't really need Clayton at this point with all of the receivers they have and the Rams were in desperate need of another weapon for Sam Bradford.

In other news Legarrette Blount is now in Tampa. He survived Tennessee's first round of cuts but the Titans then decided to place him on waivers with the intention of signing him to the practice squad. Instead Tampa Bay picked him up and he joins Cadillac Williams and Earnest Graham in the Bucs running back rotation.

So it looks like the Redskins are in talks with the Titans about trading Haynesworth. Its said that the Redskins tag is too high (2 draft picks), but the Titans would love to have Haynesworth back.

This has just been a huge disaster for the Redskins. Another free agent signing that has gone nothing but south. Paying a guy huge money who already had been questioned about how hard he would once he got that money, was a big mistake. I only hope the Redskins can ship him, count their losses, and move on.

I would probably open Haynesworth back with open arms. He's a good prescence in the middle and with our current depth on the line he could really help solidify our defense. Depends what the Redskins want though, sounds like they're pretty desperate and Shanahan and Fisher are very good friends so I wouldn't be surprised if they came to an agreement.

I would probably open Haynesworth back with open arms. He's a good prescence in the middle and with our current depth on the line he could really help solidify our defense. Depends what the Redskins want though, sounds like they're pretty desperate and Shanahan and Fisher are very good friends so I wouldn't be surprised if they came to an agreement.

I wouldn't be surprised wither to see Haynesworth back with the Titans soon. This thing he had going on with Shanahan and the loss of respect from his teamates make it all but impossible for him to play for the Redskins. As a Redskins fan I had my reservations about this signing and looks like I, and hell, probably every Redskins fan were right.

Now for something more local. The 49ers released QB Nate Davis. This has caused a big stir among Niner fans, as many felt he would be the QB of the future. However, Sngletary didn't think so. He didn't like. His work ethic and seemingly put down Davis every week. Many wonder what the real reason was, because Davis has shown arm strength and talent this season. There had been talk that Smith lacks confidence and thus the reason he seemed to squash Davis everytime the fans or media would speak highly of him.

This move makes no sense to me. The 49ers have been as patient and have come up with as many excuses as you can for Alex Smith. They have stuck by him through all his bad. Yet they don't have the patience to help a kid who looks like can be a starting QB but just needs some maturity? All I know is now Singletary has hitched his wagon with Smith's, if he hadn't already. If Smith goes down, so does Singletary. I'm not sure that's the guy you want to risk your job on. And believe me, his job is on the line this season.

This move makes no sense to me. The 49ers have been as patient and have come up with as many excuses as you can for Alex Smith. They have stuck by him through all his bad. Yet they don't have the patience to help a kid who looks like can be a starting QB but just needs some maturity? All I know is now Singletary has hitched his wagon with Smith's, if he hadn't already. If Smith goes down, so does Singletary. I'm not sure that's the guy you want to risk your job on. And believe me, his job is on the line this season.

Nate Davis was average at best this pre season. He was very inaccurate and when Troy Smith became available the team thought he would be better as the number 3 qb. Also the 49ers plan on signing Davis to the practice squad if he clears waivers so it's not a guarantee that he's gone from the organization.

I also want to know why you think Mike Singletary's job is on the line this season. The 49ers hadn't had a record of at least 8-8 since 2002 until Singletary led them to an 8-8 record last season in his first full season as head coach. In 2008 when he became interim coach the team was 2-5 until he led them to a 5-4 finish and a respectable 7-9 record. Sure if he wins only 3 games or something ludicrous like that he will be on the hot seat but in no way is his job currently on the line.

Nate Davis was average at best this pre season. He was very inaccurate and when Troy Smith became available the team thought he would be better as the number 3 qb. Also the 49ers plan on signing Davis to the practice squad if he clears waivers so it's not a guarantee that he's gone from the organization.

I also want to know why you think Mike Singletary's job is on the line this season. The 49ers hadn't had a record of at least 8-8 since 2002 until Singletary led them to an 8-8 record last season in his first full season as head coach. In 2008 when he became interim coach the team was 2-5 until he led them to a 5-4 finish and a respectable 7-9 record. Sure if he wins only 3 games or something ludicrous like that he will be on the hot seat but in no way is his job currently on the line.

I wouldn't expect you to see it, but out here expectations are high. This seems like the best team they've had in a while, and not making the playoffs would be huge. The feeling all around here-from fans to media guys to some even inside-is that Singletary is on the hot seat. Fair? I don't know, but that's the feeling around here. A lot, and I mean a lot of people don't like Alex Smith and think he shouldn't be starting. Singletary does and has done everything he can to make sure everyone here knows it. Like I said, he has put himself in a position where Smith decides what happens from here on out. This is Smith's last chance and Singletary has hitched his wagon to his. As far as his job on the line, I'm only expressing the feeling around here.

I would add that the ownership has come on and talked about high expectations as well, and that they understand the fans' frustrations. This ownership is not well liked and believe they will listen to the fan base if they don't make the playoffs and the fans voices get louder.

I wouldn't expect you to see it, but out here expectations are high. This seems like the best team they've had in a while, and not making the playoffs would be huge. The feeling all around here-from fans to media guys to some even inside-is that Singletary is on the hot seat. Fair? I don't know, but that's the feeling around here. A lot, and I mean a lot of people don't like Alex Smith and think he shouldn't be starting. Singletary does and has done everything he can to make sure everyone here knows it. Like I said, he has put himself in a position where Smith decides what happens from here on out. This is Smith's last chance and Singletary has hitched his wagon to his. As far as his job on the line, I'm only expressing the feeling around here.

I would add that the ownership has come on and talked about high expectations as well, and that they understand the fans' frustrations. This ownership is not well liked and believe they will listen to the fan base if they don't make the playoffs and the fans voices get louder.

Your fans would be morons to try and drive Singletary out of San Fran. He is a damn good coach and the main reason why they are relevant again and in a position to have such high expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back