News: TNA bans chair shots to the head

Dizzy

Championship Contender
Over the past few years, we are learning more about the dangers of hard shots to the head. Concussions have become a major issue in the NFL with the league taking strict measures to enforce its rules and also putting in place a battery of tests before some can return to action following a concussion.

Now, TNA Wrestling is taking at least big step to help prevent concussions and head injuries by banning unprotected chair shots to the head.

"TNA has absolutely thrown down the gauntlet and said no more unprotected chair shots," stated TNA star Mr. Anderson on the "Between The Ropes" radio show. "And every time there is a chair involved in the ring, the agents will come up and say please make sure for me that you are not going to ... that you're going to put your hand up. Please tell me you're going to put your hand up or it's going to be a back shot or something like that."

It's a measure that needed to be put in place considering the danger involved in cracking someone over the head with a steel chair. Too many people have had their livelihood threatened or changed for the worse by taking these shots. It's outdated and totally unnecessary in the wrestling business now.

Mr. Anderson is currently sidelined after suffering a concussion several weeks ago when he was hit in the back of the head with a chair by Jeff Hardy. However, he says that was nothing more than an accident.

"The chair shot that I received from Jeff Hardy was not intended to hit the back of my head. I heard through the grapevine that there were some people who were concerned about that. That was an accident and, you know what, in our business, accidents are going to happen. Sometimes you're going to get a boo-boo and things are going to hurt."

http://www.fanhouse.com/2010/11/03/m...lshare_twitter

Looks like da tna copy wwe again !

This is a good move. Just to be clear, they will still do chair shots but protected ones.

Why they were ever allowed in the first place is beyond me. Too much scientific evidence and study has been done that expose the incredible dangers of unprotected chair shots to allow for this type of thing to continue it's trend to appease the bloodlust of fans.

If fans want a bloodlust quenched they can go watch snuff videos and CZW footage on the internet. That type of gratuitous violence has no place in the nationally televised promotions.

This is Great move by TNA to Ban unprotected head shots which should have never been allowed in the first place like IDR said, You can have a hardcore edge to your product but that doesn't mean you can't be safe and taking these unprotected chair shots to your head has been proven to cause problems in the future.

That still won't prevent accidents like the very one that took Anderson out. While I'm beyond happy that TNA is starting to look after itself, I'm not too pleased as to what triggered the decision. WWE didn't need an irresponsible mistake to make this decision. While I feel TNA did the right move, they are doing it late and have already suffered a casualty because of it.

They still are going to use blood. That's not going to change.

Blood isn't the concern — safety is. There's nothing wrong with blood, or even an abundance of it. When I talked about "bloodlust", I wasn't simply referring to the use of it a la the WWE banning blood entirely from their programming. What I was referring to was the "blood lust" of needing to see over-the-top "extreme" violence as a means of being entertained or satiated with a match.

there is nothing wrong with a chair shot to the head if you know how to take it. the one Mr Anderson took should of never taken place. A chair shot to the back of the head is a big no no..And then you have a horrible wrestler giving it. It was Hardys fault. In watching and being a performer i have never seen someone give a chair shot to the back of the head, to the back sure to the front where you can protect yourself yea but that was ridiculous.

there is nothing wrong with a chair shot to the head if you know how to take it. the one Mr Anderson took should of never taken place. A chair shot to the back of the head is a big no no..And then you have a horrible wrestler giving it. It was Hardys fault. In watching and being a performer i have never seen someone give a chair shot to the back of the head, to the back sure to the front where you can protect yourself yea but that was ridiculous.

It was an accident. It wasn't planned. Hardy grabbed the chair awkwardly and went upward hitting his head instead of his back.

Wrong. Dead wrong. There is nothing right about it at all. It's an exposed strike to the skull and brain of a human being who's body is not designed to sustain that type of physical impact regularly.

Please read up on concussions and educate yourself on what they actually do to the human body before you come in here trying to pass them off as marginal injuries that you blame the wrestlers themselves for sustaining.

if they are going to ban chair shots, might as well ban piledrivers, powerbombs, steel cage matches, sleeperholds, etc. Some people here, ahem, i can't get over how dumb some people are whining about concussions like they're experts in the know cause they read something somewhere from some supposed authority. You put a real sleeperhold on someone you could kill them, you REALLY piledriver someone you could kill them, you REALLY punch someone hard enough in the gut and you could kill them. You REALLY smash someone in the head with a chair they could die or have a concussion. The thing with chair shots is that in the heat of the moment a chair can hit someone so hard it could really do damage. But seriously, a properly executed chair shot should hurt a wrestler a million times less than a power bomb from the top rope and a whole lot less than a lot of regularly executed moves.

My thoughts on this are that TNA is going to do PG stuff for the next couple months only to have Hogan's stable break all the rules including this new pansy ass shit. The whole point is to expose just how stupid WWE PG crap is and putover TNAs heels. I'm looking forward to watching this angle play out.

as long as the coke head jeff hardy is still able to wheeled a chair he will ways to put people out so he can be champion. oh yes i think it is no small feat that a shot to the back ended up as a shot to the head. watch hardy dislocated his with a chair that couldnt put him out so bam chair shot. mark my words rvd is next. hardy cant hack it so this how he is going to do it from no on. an to think i use to like this guy 5 yrs ago.

I'll be frank. This whole safety thing is utter bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for safety where it's needed. If a wrestler gets hurt....give them the time they need to come back from it. You don't have to ban it! This sorta frustrates me I mean this kinda turned me off when wwe did it I mean chair shot to the back just...they sorta look dull to me. I mean if i knew they were going to do more chair shots to like an arm or a leg I wouldn't mind as much I think but would still be a bit bothered. Okay yea I mean I guess it's entertainment and at the end of the day they really don't need to put they're body on the line as they aren't really competing. Are they really looking at the audience they're trying to appeal to? This is not wwe. Okay maybe this isn't a step towards being more like wwe but still I mean I liked good ol' chair shots to the head every now and then when a feud calls for it....dreamer v raven at hardcore justice comes to mind. i Really hope I can still get the same feeling I got when I saw a chair shot to the head, but that's rare. I guess this leaves me a bit disappointed but I can see the reason I guess. As long as they continue to have great wrestling...I won't complain much..... Alternative my ass

if they are going to ban chair shots, might as well ban piledrivers, powerbombs, steel cage matches, sleeperholds, etc. Some people here, i can't get over how dumb some people are here whining about concussions. You put a real sleeperhold on someone you could kill them, you REALLY piledriver someone you could kill them, you REALLY punch someone hard enough in the gut and you could kill them. You REALLY smash someone in the head with a chair they could die or have a concussion. The thing with chair shots is that in the heat of the moment a chair can hit someone so hard it could really do damage. But seriously, a properly executed chair shot should hurt a wrestler no more than a power bomb from the top rope.

My thoughts on this are that TNA is going to do PG stuff for the next couple months only to have Hogan's stable break all the rules. The whole point is to expose just how stupid PG crap is. I'm looking forward to watching this angle play out.

EXCELLENT point. You know, that reminds me of something. Some people say that last week's story about Morgan and the concussions was a shot at WWE and Chris Benoit, and I disagreed. Now that I think about it, it COULD'VE been a shot at the WWE but not Benoit. Remember Bischoff talking about how this isn't ballet and people are sometimes paid to get hurt? Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but it seemed as if he was mocking people who are over-protective of their wrestlers. The Trainer being the voice of WWE.

Even if I'm wrong about that, you still brought up a good point. They won't start doing unprotected chair shots because that's more of a in-ring stuff thingy, but they could "break the rules" like you stated. I'd like to see that.

On topic -- I'm also happy that they banned unprotected chair shots to the head. Good thing they didn't ban blood and all the other goodies. That gash on Anderson's head was ... yugh.

I think they did this partially to sell the story they have going on. Unprotected shots to the head were already pretty taboo in TNA. I can only think of two in recent memory and both were unestablished guys trying to show how tough they were in an effort to get somewhere. Now Anderson mentions basically they are extremely discouraged and it is a story? Good timing on his part. They are not even banning chairshots to the head, so I am not sure about what those with bloodlust are overreacting to. All the talent has to do is put their hands up to protect themself like everyone is trained to do anyway when taking a chair shot. I do look forward to the first omg he did a chair to the head, he's fired thread by those not understanding this.

The Hardy-Anderson shot was clearly a botch. That was supposed to be a chairshot to the upper back but it came in a little high and caught anderson at an awkward spot. Just further proof there is nothing fake about a chairshot but hardly some planned spot like some are making it out to be. That shot ended up being more dangerous than if he did a direct shot to the back of the head, so a "banning" doesn't magically solve everything. WWE clearly did their full ban as a pr move in response to Kanyon's death. IMO taking it that far is excessive. You just need to make sure that the wrestlers are not doing things they should not because of the dangers of concussions we know about now.

I disagree 100%. There is no right way to take a shot to the end. Your brain is not meant to absorb blows to the head. That's why hockey players and football players wear helmets. Even if you get hit in the head the "right way" with a chair shot and feel fine that doesn't mean anything. Concussions and shots to the head are a serious thing and I'm glad pro wrestling has realized this. Next time please educate yourself and realize this.

I know this is an IWC so I'll trend carefully in saying this, but here's a secret...wrestling is scripted! I know, total shock. That means, say with me here, that before and during the matches there communication about what move comes next and when and how a weapon like a chair is going to be involved. If the people using and receiving the chair are trained well and stick to the script, a chair shot, ungaurded or not, should be less dangerous than an Mr Anderson Avalanche Rolling Samoan.

The problem is, Hardy and many others are either not trained properly and/or are under the influence of some level of mind altering substance. In those circumstances, a chairshot is dangerous, but some would a twist of fate that spiked a guy on his head. Its unfair to compare CZW with TNA or the E because in the former the level of training is lower and some guys do want to take dangerous blows and bleed.

Banning unguarded shots wont reduce the injury rate because it doesnt tackle the real danger - the guy holding the chair. I somewhat doubt this the thin end of wedge that could lead to TNA going PG - simply because as far as I know Dixie isn't going to run for political office. This in no way makes TNA a safer place. Only banning the X division or not hiring badly trained/bong head wrestlers would make any difference.

There's so much wrong with this statement that I hardly know where to begin. First of all, there's only one way to take a chairshot to the head: stand there with your arms at your side and let the other goofy bastard swing for the fences and make sure he scores a direct hit. It doesn't matter how "skilled" of a pro wrestler you are, a chairshot to the head ALWAYS has the potential of causing extreme damage and is ALWAYS going to hurt whether its in the back of the head, the sides or smack up against the forehead.

The brain doesn't fit snug as a bug inside of your skull, it actually floats around in there a bit. A hard blow to the head can cause your brain to move around and slam up against the inside of your skull, which can result in injuries and damages that make concussions seem about as severe as a paper cut.Wrestlers tuck their chins to keep from hitting the back of their heads on the mat for a reason. They use one another's arms to cradle each other's heads when pulling off something like a suplex or a Russian Leg Sweet, etc. When you have a healthy, fit adult male hit you in the head with a metal folding chair, which probably weighs somewhere around 3 pounds, at speeds of probably at least 30 miles an hour, it's like playing Russian Roulette. All it takes to do irreperable, even fatal, damage is to hit someone in the skull at just the right angle with just the right amount of force.

A lot of wrestlers over the course of this decade have been dying pretty young and dying fairly often. Some have suffered neurological problems because of taking chairshots to the head. TNA has finally done the responsible thing here and I'm all for it. Anything that helps wrestlers have a safer environment is something I'm ALWAYS in support of. It's just a shame that a lot of people's lives had to be destroyed before we all realized what was happening and what wrestling companies were looking at on a daily basis.

A lot of wrestlers over the course of this decade have been dying pretty young and dying fairly often. Some have suffered neurological problems because of taking chairshots to the head. TNA has finally done the responsible thing here and I'm all for it. Anything that helps wrestlers have a safer environment is something I'm ALWAYS in support of. It's just a shame that a lot of people's lives had to be destroyed before we all realized what was happening and what wrestling companies were looking at on a daily basis.

I get your point but the young wrestlers you speak of generally die by drug related issues. Not chair shots. However, this preserves the well being and generally long longevity of a wrestler within the company.

I disagree 100%. There is no right way to take a shot to the end. Your brain is not meant to absorb blows to the head. That's why hockey players and football players wear helmets. Even if you get hit in the head the "right way" with a chair shot and feel fine that doesn't mean anything. Concussions and shots to the head are a serious thing and I'm glad pro wrestling has realized this. Next time please educate yourself and realize this.

And I disagree with you 100%. There are ways of taking a shot to the "head" and it's all about being protective. I have had 2 concussions and have talked to doctors about concussions. For example have someone punch you in the forehead, then put your left hand, palm out, on your forehead then your right hand on top of your left hand, then ask him to punch again push as he just about hits. Notice the difference. You need to distribute the force and protect yourself. Next time please educate yourself and realize this.

Mind you, I do agree with TNA and support what they are doing here. I'm all in for protecting the wrestlers. You just have to realize there are ways of doing stuff that work.

I know this is an IWC so I'll trend carefully in saying this, but here's a secret...wrestling is scripted! I know, total shock. That means, say with me here, that before and during the matches there communication about what move comes next and when and how a weapon like a chair is going to be involved. If the people using and receiving the chair are trained well and stick to the script, a chair shot, ungaurded or not, should be less dangerous than an Mr Anderson Avalanche Rolling Samoan.

The problem is, Hardy and many others are either not trained properly and/or are under the influence of some level of mind altering substance.

I could not possibly disagree with this post more. You can spout off all you want about this being an IWC and all of that irrelevant nonsense, but the simple fact of the matter is, unprotected chair shots to the head are dangerous, there should be no place for them in either company in professional wrestling. You can script things all you want, but such scripting can involve protected head shots as well as unprotected body shots with the chair. Same effect is achieved, without causing concussions or other forms of neurological trauma.

You can prepare all you want in a script and say that if the recipient of the chair shot to the head knows it's coming, it's not dangerous, and this is simply not true. The margin of error is slight. Adrenaline gets pumping. Mistakes will happen if unprotected chair shots to the head continue. Mistakes will happen anyway as we saw with Anderson and Hardy, that's part of the business, but at least you can greatly minimize the potential for injury, as much as possible.

Someone else here said if you ban unprotected chair shots to the head, you may as well ban a bunch of other moves too. Not true. With most moves, the contact with the head and the foreign body or mat is minimal. Tombstone piledrivers, suplexes, etc., can be done relatively safely when the wrestlers are properly trained, the same cannot be said regarding chair shots.

Once again, TNA is following WWE's lead and is headed in the right direction with the banning of unprotected chair shots to the head. If only they could follow WWE's lead in other areas as well.

I want to contribute to this thread as someone who has experienced a concussion first hand. While I did not obtain it from a chair shot to the head, I can tell you the advice I was given by my doctor after receiving my test results.

I was diagnosed with a grade 2 concussion (minor but I did experience a short loss of consciousness and short term brain functional trauma). This happened as a result of a blow to the head on the soccer field. While the diagnosis was pretty expected (when you wake up delusional, by the time you realize what's going on, it's pretty obvious you had a concussion), the important thing is what happens next.

I was young when this happened, 15 years old. Since the brain is not actually finished growing at this point, it is extremely dangerous to get a concussion and to put yourself in position to get another one. Thus, I had to refrain from any physical activity, be it soccer or just messing around with friends, for two weeks, and I had to refrain from soccer for a month. You see, once you have a concussion, your body becomes prone to having another one. Thus, you MUST protect yourself. Even when I made my return for the final 2 games, you have to be careful with what you do. Concussions will become a fear of yours for really the rest of your life.

Now, I got one purely by accident. I played aggressive and got kicked in the head. However, I now have to be aware of anything that hits my head, as a much lesser blow could cause a grade 1 concussion or worse. I will tell you that it is no fun having to worry any time a basketball hits your head or you take a fall in your house.

So perhaps I have a biased view, but in no way, shape, or form do I condone using a weapon like a steel chair to hit the skull of another human being. To those of you who say "if you learn, it doesn't hurt"...............WRONG. There is no way, even with your hands up, to prevent the chairshot from doing damage. The skull and brain are the most susceptible body parts to injury in your entire body and it is blatantly wrong to attack them given the medical knowledge we have today. To be honest, I would be in full favor of banning ALL chairshots to the head (back or front) from professional wrestling forever. Trust me when I tell you, it's not worth it. Going through life as a former concussion patient is no fun.

Thus, I fully support TNA in making this move and I hope they eventually make the full move to ANY chairshots to the head being banned. The wrestler's safety is of utmost importance here. Forget storylines and forget how it comes off on TV. Getting hit in the head is NEVER safe and it needs to be eliminated as a form of entertainment. I'm glad TNA has taken a step and I hope they continue on to take more.

I'm glad TNA made this decision too. This has nothing to do with storylines or the being TV 14 or PG. This is the best for the wrestling business. WWE and the NFL are doing what they need to to help, study, and prevent concussions. The least TNA can do is prevent chair shots to the head. Does it really matter if someone gets hit with a chair or not? There is no way to prepare for a chair shot to the head. Mistakes happen. Concussions are a serious issue for athletes. Maybe if this ruling would have happened sooner, Mr. Anderson wouldn't have suffered a concussion.

Anyone who thinks that banning unprotected chairshots to the head isn't a good idea needs to shut the fuck up, go have one of your backyard wrestling buddies hit you on the head with a steel chair until you get a concussion, and THEN try to explain why they are no big deal (assuming you are capable of forming coherent thoughts, that is).

The WWE was absolutely correct to ban head shots, and TNA is absolutely correct to follow suit. Even if it isn't a total ban, like in the WWE, its a good start. I don't hide the fact that I don't like TNA at all, but I will give them credit when I think credit is due. It's due. This move by TNA deserves praise, not scorn.

with all this going on in sports or um...entertainment, it's a matter of time before the UFC Octagon turns into a dame playpen

I applaud TNA for following suit with the WWE in banning Chairshots to the head. You don't want these guys later in life spending their later years as vegatables nor do you want another Chris Benoit incident. I saw that shot Anderson took from Jeff Hardy a couple weeks ago and saw the Blood then hoped he was alright. So im glad WWE,NFL,and now TNA are looking out for their guys and trying to keep them safe.

It's good to see that all the people that mcmahon would have branded bloodlusting and animalistic for wanting to watch TNA are the first ones to support this ban. It really shows a good understanding of the problem and that we are concerned for the guys who put their neck on the line day-in day-out. Personally after I saw the injury to anderson's head after jeff's chair shot on reaction, it made me feel physically ill honestly and I just wondered about if it could happen again, thankfully I dont have to anymore. It also makes any prospective return for nigel mcguiness eaier seen as he doesnt have to worry about that any more.

I don't blame jeff completely, TNA should have considered the ban way back when WWE enforced it. And if you know jeff and chair's he's deliverd some of the hardest shots you'll see (to brock lesnar, homocide on his january 4 TNA re-debut, I think buh-buh ray in a TLC match as well) and I also think jeff is trying very hard to fit into his new heel role which by the way I actually think he is doing great as. It was completely impossible to envision him at first but I'm happy with the current result.

Sorry, a tangent passed and I hopped on. But most importantly it will be a key factor in ensuring a longer life expectancy for proffessional athletes. And any company that doesn't feel like complying can keep doing it til all of their guys can't remember their name, but it's a step in the right direction for safety war, good call TNA, about time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back