Steel Chair Head Shots

Warrior

Its Been a while
I kind of miss them. I completely understand why their banned. Concussions are serious injury in themselves. Plus, all the questions Chris Benoit Raised & all the new studies. I just missed the classic TLC Matches. The type of of things The Hardy's, Dudley's and Edge and christian could do with a chair. I think Triple H hit Taker in the head with a chair at mania, wwe probably only let this happen because both guys knew what they were doing. It's kinda like how only Kane, Taker, and HHH can use the pile driver, so maybe the same rule can be applied. There's also more than just three guys i think can safely do it. So, any one else miss them? Anyone think there should only be some people that are allowed to? And who are they?

Nope.

Unprotected blows to the head from steel chairs are the worst thing a pro wrestler can take in a match. Barbed wire cuts, bladed foreheads, thumbtacks are much safer than a concussion.

Concussions are the real deal, especially after you've had 2, or 3, or 4 within a couple of years. That is when it gets bad. I just watched the bonus commentary from the Beyond the Mat documentary last night, and I thought it was pretty interesting if nobody has ever heard it.

Mic Foley says that the Rock went overboard with the chair shots in their match at Royal Rumble 99(When Mic was handcuffed). It was all planned to help get the Rock over for his match against Austin at WM XV. Foley was supposed to only take 5 unprotected shots, but it ended up being about 11. Foley says that he got pissed in the match when the Rock didn't give him any time to recover from the first shot, he just went crazy with them(with Mic's wife and kids in the front row).

Foley also said that the Rock never came to the back after the match to see if he was ok. He said that he regretted putting his body through what he did to get him over after the match, and added that he wouldn't ever do it again, not guys for guys like the Rock anyways.

I used to think guys were sissies when they put a hand in the way when they got chair shots. Now after knowing what we know now, damn I cringe a little when I see those over the top chair denting chair shots from back in the day. I'm very fine without seeing them at all.

I'm okay with protected shots where they put their arms up to block, but I never want to see an unprotected chair shot ever again. I was shocked and horrified after seeing Rob Terry take a full-blown unprotected chair shot in TNA. How any company could allow something like that is beyond me. Not only could he have received a concussion, but he could've suffered neck and spinal damage.
As for Taker/HHH, I read that both wrestlers actually got fined for that chairshot. I'm not sure if that's true or not. It's just something I read somewhere.

My stance on steel chair head-shots is the same with my stance on blood...Use them sparingly and make it worth the while...In a blood feud where it's a Steel Cage Match with blood and a manager throws the chair in, then I can see how it'd make sense..But on a constant basis it isn't worth the risk

In this day and age, considering what's been discovered in regards to the trauma such impacts can cause to the brain during the past 5 or 6 years, there's no reasonable excuse for chairshots to the head. There are so many other ways to generate a response to a spot that taking a steel chair that's traveling probably a good 20+ miles per hour to the head isn't necessary.

I understand that there are always going to be certain risks involved in pro wrestling. There's always the possibility of sustaining injury, but spots like shots to the head with steel chairs are taking things too far. All it takes is getting hit in just the right spot with just the right amount of force and a guy could spend the rest of his life having to be watered if not outright killed.

A lot of wrestling companies adopted it simply because WWE did. While I'm sure talent safety was a big factor in eliminating chairshots to the head in WWE, another big reason was the immense heat WWE had garnered in the mainstream media. Let's face it, the threat of Congress possibly stepping in to regulate your business with whatever they deem appropriate is enough to send a chill down even Vince McMahon's spine.

Looking back on things, it's so easy to see how potentially dangerous chairshots to the head were but, at the time, we just didn't really consider the consequences. To a large degree, we didn't really know the consequences.

I do miss them, it was always exciting to see someone get absolutely blasted in the head with a chair, like "the chairshot heard round the world" in ECW when Tommy Dreamer hit Raven full on in the face with the chair as he was cuffed to a cage, or The Rock repeatedly hitting Mankind over and over in their epic I Quit match in WWE.

However, the risk of permanent damage to the recipient of these chair shots, be in concussions, brain damage, neck or spine injuries etc just aren't worth it, just to make a chairshot look more realistic. I would much rather see a wrestler put his hands up to protect his head and live a better quality of life, rather than risk his career and quality of life taking an unprotected chair shot.

Unprotected shots always look better, of course they will...but knowing the damage they can cause, why should a wrestler take that risk. They won't be coming back, and its probably for the best. If you want to see some full on chair shots, just got back to your Attitude Era or ECW tapes

Watch Stone Cold, Triple H, Undertaker or Rock take chair shots back in the day.

The vast majority of times they would put a hand up to block the impact.

Thats what they should do now, in one sense it looks more realistic when they do that, its common sense to try and block your face then someone tried to hit you in the head.

When Cena was hitting Kane with steel steps, Kane put his hand up, I didn't have a problem with that.

While i do miss the occasional head shot, it is now an out dated concept, thinking back to the invasion angle, pretty much every show chairs were used and became something everyone expected, I for one marked out like a kid when Taker and Triple H did it last year, but only as I thought it was banned and the 2 guys were pretty much sticking 2 fingers up to the rules.
The only person i ever saw take a shot to the head without raising his arms was mick foley, but then this is the same guy who asked to be thrown off hell in a cell, and got pedigree'd face 1st into thumb tacks without flinching

Pretty much what everyone else said, by I pose a question reguarding sept 20th

Orton used a ringbell to the skull of Rhodes. If a steel chair to the head is legit banned than why isn`t a ringbell. . . . Or is it and Orton did it anyway. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back