MMA March - Getting Pampered Every Hour On The Hour

So Chan-Sung Jung against Ricardo Lamas is on for UFC 162, and is reportedly an official title eliminator.

While I speak for the planet in being beyond stoked for this match, I do have one problem...

I really would have loved to see this fight headline an FX or Fuel card for the simple fact that it really should be a five rounder. I'd like to see the UFC consider the idea of making co-main events five round fights whenever they are being billed as title eliminator match-ups.

Anyway 162 is looking to be a lot of fun. WAR Spider and Zombie.

So it's time for me to eat some crow regarding Johny Hendricks.

He had a great fight last night. He was good on the feet and his takedowns were outstanding.

That said, I wish Condit had stuck with his punches and not have thrown so many kicks and knees. Hendricks timed each kick and knee perfectly and threw Condit to the ground almost every time Condit threw one. However, Hendricks didn't have an answer for Condit when he kept his range and mixed up his punches. If Condit done that the entire fight he would have won, IMO. I also think Condit would have won regardless if it was a 5 Rounder instead of 3.

But I'm being nit picky here. The fact is, Hendricks did a lot better than I ever expected him to and he no doubt deserves a shot at GSP. My only criticism of Hendricks is his lack of action while on top, but other than that... I have to give him nothing but respect for last night's performance. I still think GSP beats him decisively, but I can't deny that Hendricks deserves his chance at him.

Also, Jake Ellenberger rubbed me the wrong way last night. I thought it was cowardly how he went on Twitter to bash Hendricks and then sat there quietly not saying anything to him at the presser. Say what you want about Nick Diaz, but at least he sat right next to Hendricks and GSP saying what he had to say instead of running to Twitter to yap his mouth.

Anyway, still can't take anything away from Jake's performance. He had a good showing, but I think he was fortunate Rory Mac got injured. Hendricks would have kicked his ass.

Lastly, here are the fights I would love to see now from last night's results...

Nick Diaz vs. Rory MacDonald (great main event for a FOX show IMO)
Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Ellenberger
Carlos Condit vs. Erik Silva
And of course GSP vs. Hendricks

That said, I wish Condit had stuck with his punches and not have thrown so many kicks and knees. Hendricks timed each kick and knee perfectly and threw Condit to the ground almost every time Condit threw one. However, Hendricks didn't have an answer for Condit when he kept his range and mixed up his punches. If Condit done that the entire fight he would have won, IMO. I also think Condit would have won regardless if it was a 5 Rounder instead of 3.

First, I agree 100% that Condit would have won a five-rounder. He was getting the better of the fight toward the end of it, and really lighting Hendricks up. There was a couple of exchanges where if he had put an extra punch or two in, he probably could have gotten a TKO, or at least a couple of knockdowns to throw it into his favor.

I think it comes down to the fact that Condit really thought like the majority of the MMA community, and felt that Hendricks was all hype. I've said all along that anybody that can flatline Jon Fitch quick like that isn't hype. I think once Condit felt Hendricks power, it completely changed up the game plan. Carlos clearly got his wits back in the third round, and Hendricks was tiring out a bit. That's my only cause for concern with Hendricks leading into the GSP fight, is cardio. I would imagine that's a lot of what their camp leading up to will be about.

But I'm being nit picky here. The fact is, Hendricks did a lot better than I ever expected him to and he no doubt deserves a shot at GSP. My only criticism of Hendricks is his lack of action while on top, but other than that... I have to give him nothing but respect for last night's performance. I still think GSP beats him decisively, but I can't deny that Hendricks deserves his chance at him.

I think an argument can be made for Hendricks lack of top game as being respectful to Condit's ground game, and realizing that regardless of how much film you watch it's impossible to know what Condit is going to do, because he probably doesn't even know what the hell he's going to do until a few seconds before he does it. He's easily the most unpredictable bottom fighter I've ever watched.

If Hendricks comes in prepared to go five rounds, and can stuff some of GSP's early takedowns, he has a real chance to win the fight. If he isn't prepared to go 5 rounds, he's probably going to be competitive for 3 rounds, and then get wrestle-fucked for the final two for a decision. I think Hendricks is going to beat St. Pierre up on the feet quite a bit, and if he can rattle St. Pierre on the feet, and stuff some of his takedowns, he has a chance to TKO him late in the second, or middle of the third.

All that said if I'm putting money down on it, I would go with St. Pierre as he seems to pretty much be a gameplan machine. He's like the Canadian versian of Ivan Drago, but he wins. It's more likely that he survives Hendricks and out-wrestles him. But Hendricks is definitely going to put hands on St. Pierre a couple of times and make it look good.

Per Dana, the UFC is definitely coming to Boston and it's going to be "sooner than we think".

I'm thinking it has to be for the Fox card coming up in July. Here's hoping it's a good card. I went to UFC 118, it was one of the best days of my life between that and the Fan Expo. That being said, it wasn't that good of a card.

Hendricks threw some absolutely wild punches against Condit. Those left hooks were crazy and clumsy as well. Against GSP that shit just isn't going to work.

I don't know if you guys are into boxing but did any of you check out Timothy Bradley vs Ruslan Provodnikov? Absolutely sensational fight I think everyone should take the time to watch.

I did awfully on both cards in the prediction contest. I knew the Arlovski and Filho picks would come back to bite me. Both of them looked awful last night. Filho clearly doesn't care anymore, which sucks because he was so talented -- he just wasn't mentally tough. I was terrified the entire Johnson/Arlovski for Arlovski. His chin was exposed, his hands were down, and his striking was horrible; Arlovski should be thanking his lucky stars he didn't get knocked out. Rumble looked pretty bad too, he was totally out of shape and looked gassed (not that Arlovski looked much better) for most of the fight. Had he not tried to shoot for those ridiculous takedowns, he could have easily finished Arlovski. It's a shame that Arlovski has faded this badly since his departure from the UFC -- he was an absolute animal in his prime.

With the losses by Arlovski, Diaz, and Gomi in recent history my vested interest in MMA is at an all time low. That said, the prospects of what Sonnan vs. Jones could entail reinvigorates my passion. I love a good ole fashioned heel vs. face super fight. I am also pretty excited for the Mousasi/Gustafsson fight. That one has explosive written all over it.

BGQU-iDCAAE0EpC.jpg

That is a flyer from an upcoming women's self defense seminar being taught by Rampage. Just let that soak in for a minute.

In other news that is fucking insane, Ken Shamrock is having yet another comeback fight, this time against Ian Freeman.

Brock Jardine got cut. Noooooo. Josh Neer did too, wouldn't be surprised if he ended up with WSOF.

I saw the Shamrock thing and just kind of shook my head. The guy doesn't know when to quit. I don't know how athletic commissions approve him to fight -- his health can't be great. He's tarnishing a once-great legacy by stepping into the cage in these shithole promotions and getting knocked out. It's not like Freeman's a spring chicken either. This right will be a disaster and, honestly, I won't watch it.

Brian Bowles (Milhouse Van Houten) is alive and returning to the Octagon!

In related news, George Roop is hilariously overmatched and is going to get wrecked again by a much smaller man.

Not sure who Charles Oliveira pissed off, but he drew Frankie Edgar as an opponent at UFC 162.

Cub Swanson vs. Dennis Siver was re-booked for that card as well.

Ricardo Lamas vs. Chan Sung Jung is also on this card.

Five out of the six could easily be next in line for the winner of Aldo/Pettis. I wonder if Dana will award the shot to whoever wins most impressively.

Brian Bowles (Milhouse Van Houten) is alive and returning to the Octagon!

In related news, George Roop is hilariously overmatched and is going to get wrecked again by a much smaller man.

Stoked to see Bowles again. The Poop is gonna get finished. Well, you know, unless Bowles breaks his hands again. Seriously though, Roop has no place at 135 -- he's 6'1".

I think it's arguable that Roop has no place in the UFC even though he did beat Hatsu Hioki.

Boston is getting UFC on Fox Sports 1. I'm psyched but I really hope this card doesn't wind up with Mighty Mouse vs. Moraga. Considering this is the night Fox Sports 1 debuts, and Dana has promised a "Stacked Card"... I'm really hoping we get the Bendo/Melendez winner vs. the Maynard/Grant winner... that seems to line up. Or Chael defending his newly won title :)

I believe in Chris Weidman so much that I am willing to bet signature and user name for six months if he loses. He may lack experience but he makes up for that so much in confidence. I fully believe he's going to be our new Middleweight champion.

I think we're just going to keep the contract. I'm definitely OK with making what I was making. I think I was making $24,000 (to show) and $24,000 (as a win bonus). I want to do that because then after I beat Anderson like I plan on doing, then obviously the contract will jump up more than if I was to rip up the contract now. I'm ready to put all my eggs in one basket and put my money where my mouth is.

People say I don't have that many fights, which is true, but I've never had an easy fight. Even when I was in Ring of Combat, we always wanted to get the best guys because I wanted to get that experience. Guys like Uriah Hall, who's coming up on 'The Ultimate Fighter,' I fought that guy in my third fight.

I put myself in a lot of risky positions fighting good guys. I could have fought 50 guys at this point and smoked every one of them, and it would be against nobodies, which a lot of guys do. But I always chose the toughest competition because I knew that was going to make me the best I could be.

When people hear that, it's almost like I'm talking smack. But I'm just confident, and I really believe I can win the fight. I think it's a fight that people want to see.

This is a dream fight for me. Since I got into MMA, this is the guy wanted to fight and really prove I could beat. I finally have the opportunity to do that.

[...]

I got into this fight game for one reason: to be champion. I believe this is my time. The money is going to come when I'm champion. It's not going to come before. I'm not looking for a couple of extra grand. I'm looking to make Anderson Silva money.

I want that belt. That's it. I know everything else comes with that.

Lastly,

Looking forward to making the April thread :)

I'll take you up on that bet. I can't see Weidman making out of the second round with Anderson. He'll eat him alive. I know Weidman's got a great combination of wrestling and Jiu Jitsu, but the more confident he gets the more I think he'll play right into Anderson.

Apparently he got cut over the eye in training and it's not going to heal up enough for him to fight. It's basically certain that Gus isn't going to be able to fight, they've just yet to announce it. Would they be able to get anybody to step up on short notice against Mousasi? Better yet, could they get all the visa issues cleared up in one week?

Wanderlei Silva would step up and fight Mousasi on that short of notice, I would guess. But I doubt he's cleared to fight after the war he had with Stann.

Damn, a cut is what's going to keep this fight from happening? A fucking CUT? This blows big time.

Gus/Mousasi was already a one fight show, but that one fight was worth it and a fight I was very much looking forward to. Now watch some shitty fucking wrestler take Gus' place.

Man, what an awful turn of events. I'd rather they postpone the show a few weeks than change the main event honestly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back