• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MMA March - Getting Pampered Every Hour On The Hour

Turd Ferguson

DA-DA Da Da Da Bah Da Da DADADA
Calendar
Literally Something UFC Related Everyday on FuelTV if you have it.
The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen every Tuesday night at 9:00 on FX.

3/2 - UFC on Fuel - Silva vs. Stann
3/7 - Bellator 92 - Aliev vs. Marshall
3/16 - UFC 158 - St. Pierre vs. Diaz
3/21 - Bellator 93
3/23 - World Series of Fighting 2 - Arlovski vs. Johnson
3/28 - Bellator 94

Essential Websites:
http://www.mma.ly
http://www.ufc.com

Visit At Your Own Peril:
http://www.sherdog.com
http://www.sherdog.net
The Underground

Useful Links:
Sherdog Fight Finder
Unified rules of MMA
http://www.fightmetric.com

Noteworthy/Discussion Topics:
  • All Matt Riddle wants to do is smoke weed.
  • Everyone wants to jump weight classes
  • Anderson Silva is STILL ducking Chris Weidman.
  • Jon Fitch is cut :(
  • 100 more cuts on the way.
  • Tito is still ruining Cyborg's career.
  • Rory McDonald is a hipster version of Mr. Glass.
  • RENAN BARAO IS A MONSTER.

Two things to note regarding my two favorite fighters.

First, here's Nick Diaz's UFC 158 pre-fight interview. Great stuff. He's really improved on his public speaking skills, too.

http://www.ufc.com/media//158-DIAZ-PRE-INTERVIEW

And regarding Takanori Gomi.... it looks like he could not give a single less fuck about this fight against Diego Sanchez Saturday. Funny thing is... I can't tell if it's a good thing or not. All I know is that if Gomi wins with this attitude, I'll love him more than ever. lol

[YOUTUBE]6zM-VQnb90M[/YOUTUBE]

e39097e936e569c6b139075f7a343b5e.gif

Gomi seems a little out of it... Like maybe he's been hanging out with Matt Riddle and Nick Diaz. I still think he can catch Diego coming in with his over aggressive style. This is a fight Diego has wanted for a long time, and a fight he directly asked for back when UFC was considering keeping PRIDE going and considering doing that lightweight tournament.... So I know Diego is going to be fired up for the fight... But I -REALLY- hope Gomi wins.

CagePotato came up with this handy flow chart that will tell you if you will be cut or not following a loss. It is good for a little laugh here and there, but the fucked up thing is this is the most sense the UFC cut process will ever make.

WillYouBeFired_UFC_final.jpg

Edit: Yikes, giant photo

Well, Gomi may have been the one looking noticeably aloof, but it was his opponent who missed weight.

Diego weighed in at 158. The reports I have heard say he will be docked 20% of his pay, but they don't mention Gomi getting that cut. Is that a commission thing, perhaps because they're in Japan?

It should be interesting to see how that fight plays out in light of the strange events of these last couple days.

It's pretty customary that the opponent gets the funds cut, since he's being put at a "disadvantage". It may just have been one of those things that didn't need to be said. Sanchez' excuse was pretty fucking baffling but very fitting of his near-psychotic personality. Damn that non-distilled drinking water!

In other news, Clay Guida says he's not worried about losing his job, and the reason all of those other fighters were cut is because they are "mentally weak" He then goes on to say "Every day could be our last," said Guida. "I'm out there to put on a show, to have fun and get my hand raised." That's pretty delusional considering his last couple of fights have been about as show-worthy as a fat man pissing at the Full Throttle Saloon.

Damn, Lombard was such a waste. The guy shows no sense of urgency. People actually thought this joker had something for Anderson? Imagine what would happen if he stood flat footed in front of Anderson throwing those soft little kicks. Fucking send him back to Bellator and be done with him. Totally not worth anywhere near what they are paying him.

Damn, Lombard was such a waste. The guy shows no sense of urgency. People actually thought this joker had something for Anderson? Imagine what would happen if he stood flat footed in front of Anderson throwing those soft little kicks. Fucking send him back to Bellator and be done with him. Totally not worth anywhere near what they are paying him.

Yeah, that was terrible. He had Okami out on his feet at one point, all it would have taken was another solid shot and it probably would have been called... And then he ends up being content to just lay in Okami's guard... Then he motions for Okami to stand, and tries to attack him before he can resulting in another guard pull... Honestly one of the dumbest things I've ever witnessed... And he still somehow managed to win the fight on one judge's scorecard.

WHAT THE FUCK?! Gomi just got robbed BIG time. I don't bitch about judge decisions very often but that was TERRIBLE! Diego won the first round, but Gomi ate his fucking soul the last two rounds. Diego was scared to even engage, and anytime he did he was eating Gomi's jab or parrying a strong shot. I haven't seen Diego that timid to engage since he got his ass beat by Penn. Jesus... Diego bicycles and gets takedowns stuffed, and eats punches and wins a decision.

"How the fuck did Diego win that fight?! Crazy shit" - Dana White

I'm really fucking pissed about the Gomi decision. Diego did absolutely nothing that entire fight. He got one takedown where Gomi immediately popped right back up, and scored some good body kicks, but that was literally it.

Gomi had octagon control and landed more shots... what more did he have to do to win the damn thing? Even Diego knows that Gomi won that fight.

I'm really fucking pissed about the Gomi decision. Diego did absolutely nothing that entire fight. He got one takedown where Gomi immediately popped right back up, and scored some good body kicks, but that was literally it.

Gomi had octagon control and landed more shots... what more did he have to do to win the damn thing? Even Diego knows that Gomi won that fight.

On a positive note, Gomi looked almost back to PRIDE form. That's the best I've seen him look cardio wise in years, and his power was obviously on form because Diego was on the reverse bicycle after he tasted that left hook the first time. He definitely should have won but I'd bet that Dana gives him his just rewards because he too felt he won. He usually takes care of guys when he feels they got robbed.

----

Mark Hunt is the fucking man... That's fight of the night easily, unless Stann/Silva delivers the goods. That's also an early favorite for "Funniest Fight of the Year"... The size difference was just insane. It was like a real version of Mike Tyson's Punch Out! Hunt did a good job defending on the ground and actually wore Struve out. Struve's endurance has improved immensely, some of those punches Hunt hit him with would have knocked out a rhino. I bet he's going to have a headache for a couple of weeks. Props to Hunt for realizing Struve was done and not throwing anymore, he might have killed him.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but that was a bad stoppage by Dean in the Struve/Hunt fight. Struve may have been rocked, but at soon as he hit the mat he looked at Hunt's location, swung his body toward him, and raised his legs toward guard position. I don't care what anyone says, that's a bad stoppage.

Nah, good stoppage. If Struve wasn't out, he would have stood right back up while Hunt had his back turned. Yea, he swung towards Hunt, but after that he didn't move a muscle. He had an absolute blank stare on his face, and Herb gave him the opportunity to stand up and fight back. Struve stayed on the ground and couldn't get up until Herb helped him up. If Struve wanted to keep fighting, all he had to do was stand up, or say "i'm fine." He didn't do either.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but that was a bad stoppage by Dean in the Struve/Hunt fight. Struve may have been rocked, but at soon as he hit the mat he looked at Hunt's location, swung his body toward him, and raised his legs toward guard position. I don't care what anyone says, that's a bad stoppage.

Watch it again and look at Struve's eyes before Hunt hits him with the shot that puts him down. Struve couldn't even defend himself standing. His eyes were glassy when he was on the mat and he may have raised his legs in defense, but that's all instinct. Hunt's a killer, he wouldn't have stopped hitting Struve if he wasn't sure he was defenseless. Herb assessed the situation and called it.

Apparently Struve told Herb Dean that his jaw was broken as well, so a very justified stoppage.

Yeah I just re-watched it. Herb said continue and as Hunt was travelling back over, Struve points to his jaw and Herb goes over. Struve indicates that his jaw is broken and Herb calls it.

I thought it was stupid for Hunt to walk away like that, no matter how cool it looks, but yeah... I'm glad Herb stopped it as well. Struve was completely defenseless.

Very fun fight. Wishing the best for Hunto as his career continues to blossom.

I'm still pissed about Gomi. Literally every MMA website on the internet scored it in his favor. http://mmadecisions.com/decision.jsp?id=4057

Yeah originally Herb said fight on, but Struve said his jaw was broken and then it was called off.

The Gomi fight was so close that I can't be too upset over the call, even though most big time sites scored it Gomi.

To not spam, I had Gomi winning the fight, but it really wasn't a good fight. Kinda boring with Gomi headhunting and Diego yessing around the Octagon. Gomi won for sure doe.

WHAT A FUCKING FIGHT

That round proves that Wanderlei Silva feeds off of the Japanese crowd like no other human being. That shit looked like two cats fighting in the alley over a tuna can.

MOTHER FUCKER GOD DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retire Silva, please retire. You're an amazing fighter and an amazing man, but there's nothing else for you to prove. This is the place to go. Thanks for the memories, go out on top.

Holy shit I can't believe it.

First we get the round of the year, and then Wandy pulls off the KO. Completely fucking awesome.

Still pissed about Gomi, but this lessens the sting a little bit. Only a little, though.

Retire Silva, please retire. You're an amazing fighter and an amazing man, but there's nothing else for you to prove. This is the place to go. Thanks for the memories, go out on top.

100% agree.

This is absolutely the perfect way to go out. He can't top it. In Japan, against a very good fighter, in a fight of the year candidate, and he finishes it via KO. What more could he want?

That was epic! Hopefully now Wand will retire. There's no better place for him to do so than the arena and country that he became famous with. What a fucking fight!

Coulda been the absolute best retirement in MMA history...

Oh well, what a fucking fight. Props to both men, fucking warriors and they both have all of my respect.

I was watching with no sound, I wasn't aware Struve told Dean his jaw was broken. My mistake.

What a way for Wand to go out if it is truly the end. Man did he look good.

Anik's comment is the reason so many people will push for Wandy to stick around. "He stills has something left in the tank." Then Bisping says something similar in the post show. I wish more guys would go out on top as opposed to going out like Chuck or to a lesser extent, Matt Hughes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back