• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WZHL Fantasy Hockey 2013/2014 Season

A lot of guys are going to look bad to start the year. Happens every year. Few players come in and dominate off the first swing at bat (to use a baseball reference). Most teams, in fact, struggle quite a bit out of the gate.

I always operate as a fan, as well as a fantasy player, under the "ten game policy", which says that no opinions should be formed, nor actions made regarding players until a minimum of ten games is played. There's too much potential for you looking like an ass when things kick into gear by game eleven to risk it.

A lot of guys are going to look bad to start the year. Happens every year. Few players come in and dominate off the first swing at bat (to use a baseball reference). Most teams, in fact, struggle quite a bit out of the gate.

I always operate as a fan, as well as a fantasy player, under the "ten game policy", which says that no opinions should be formed, nor actions made regarding players until a minimum of ten games is played. There's too much potential for you looking like an ass when things kick into gear by game eleven to risk it.

Agreed. I just found it interesting that they mentioned that, especially with how bad he looked last night.

.....and coming in late as hell with The Dead Parrots roster.......

Brad Boyes
(Fla - C,RW)

Nazem Kadri
(Tor - C)

Pavel Datsyuk
(Det - C,LW)

Thomas Vanek
(Buf - LW,RW)

Wayne Simmonds
(Phi - RW)

Pascal Dupuis
(Pit - LW,RW)

Duncan Keith
(Chi - D)

Dion Phaneuf
(Tor - D)

John Carlson
(Was - D)

Paul Martin
(Pit - D)

Brayden Schenn
(Phi - C,LW)

Patrik Elias
(NJ - C,LW)

Michael Ryder
(NJ - RW)

Troy Brouwer
(Was - RW)

Tomas Plekanec
(Mon - C)

Dan Hamhuis
(Van - D)

Michael Cammalleri
(Cgy - C,LW)IR

.....and coming in late as hell with The Dead Parrots roster.......

Brad Boyes
(Fla - C,RW)

Nazem Kadri
(Tor - C)

Pavel Datsyuk
(Det - C,LW)

Thomas Vanek
(Buf - LW,RW)

Wayne Simmonds
(Phi - RW)

Pascal Dupuis
(Pit - LW,RW)

Duncan Keith
(Chi - D)

Dion Phaneuf
(Tor - D)

John Carlson
(Was - D)

Paul Martin
(Pit - D)

Brayden Schenn
(Phi - C,LW)

Patrik Elias
(NJ - C,LW)

Michael Ryder
(NJ - RW)

Troy Brouwer
(Was - RW)

Tomas Plekanec
(Mon - C)

Dan Hamhuis
(Van - D)

Michael Cammalleri
(Cgy - C,LW)IR

Too bad you didn't pick up any goaltenders :)

Agreed. I just found it interesting that they mentioned that, especially with how bad he looked last night.

So did Lundqvist, who is actually a guy I stayed away from in every fantasy league I'm in this year based on a fear/theory I have that he's going to humanize this year much more so than any other year prior.

Fact is, he's a goaltender who has played for one of the stingiest defensive teams in his career the last four years, and frankly, has never not played in a D-first system/team to begin with (dating back to his NHL debut with the Tom Renney-lead Rangers). The collapsing defensive strategy the Rangers have employed the last four years with Tortorella, coupled with the emphasis on shot-blocking may have actually benefited him quite a bit in protecting/shielding him from higher numbers of quality scoring chances per game that he ultimately didn't have to make saves on. Tuukka Rask benefits from the same with the Bruins, as does Rinne with the Predators. Neither the Bruins nor the Predators collapse their defense the way the Rangers did, but they play in defense-first systems designed to limit the quality of scoring chances their goaltenders see on any given shift.

The math is easy. More shots, plus more quality shots against tends to equal more goals against. I don't care if you're Dom Hasek, Marty Brodeur, Henrik Lundqvist or anyone other goaltender in the league — the system is a factor. The more the goaltender is left out the dry, the more human he will look. Though I will say for Hasek, he is in lonely company as IMO the only goaltender in NHL history to truly have the ability to win games completely on his own. Even Roy and Brodeur benefited quite a bit from the quality of defense in front of them.

If the Rangers have no intentions of playing stronger defense this year, I fully expect Hanks GA/A and SV% to go through the roof compared to what he's put up in terms of numbers there the last number of years.

It's why I decided to put little emphasis on goal tending this year across all four fantasy leagues I'm in.

Threw a trade proposal to Justin just a moment ago. My main motivation was to have Evander Kane returned to his rightful place on my roster so I can again have the most racially diverse roster in the game (I also picked up Johnny Oduya, my favorite former Devil that is a black Swede with an American name), but I think I gave him a fair return. I suppose we shall see.

Threw a trade proposal to Justin just a moment ago. My main motivation was to have Evander Kane returned to his rightful place on my roster so I can again have the most racially diverse roster in the game (I also picked up Johnny Oduya, my favorite former Devil that is a black Swede with an American name), but I think I gave him a fair return. I suppose we shall see.

It's looks pretty fair for the most part, however I really have no interest in making any trades at this point in the season. I'd rather wait a few weeks to get a more a feel for what I got, & what I'm gonna need.

It's looks pretty fair for the most part, however I really have no interest in making any trades at this point in the season. I'd rather wait a few weeks to get a more a feel for what I got, & what I'm gonna need.

Fair enough. I just really want Evander Kane. He has a great name.

Man, Blues have looked really good through five periods so far this year. Nine goals and I believe eight different goal scorers.

Fair enough. I just really want Evander Kane. He has a great name.

That's why I drafted him, well that & I read he's suppose to be a good sleeper pick this year. Of course I also read that both Toronto goaltenders are suppose to be good sleeper picks for this year, & so far Reimer has been shit

That's why I drafted him, well that & I read he's suppose to be a good sleeper pick this year. Of course I also read that both Toronto goaltenders are suppose to be good sleeper picks for this year, & so far Reimer has been shit

I think you chose the wrong sleeper pick in terms of Toronto goaltenders.

Having said that, I wouldn't count out Reimer quite yet (4 games into the season, only 2 of which he played and he won one of them). Reimer went undrafted last season and I grabbed him several weeks into the season as a free agent as my other goalie struggled, and he was solid for me pretty much all year. I credit him with a significant degree of my success in WZHL last season. He will pay off for you, count on it.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. I don't care if you post them here or there, but I'm always interested in hearing people that disagree with me :)

Regarding the first blog and the whole notion of picking Stamkos over Crosby, I cannot necessarily disagree with your choice as Stamkos is an excellent player who will almost certainly do well for you. But I would not be able to take a pass on Crosby for anyone. For me, Crosby is the best player in the league and the potential for what he can do over a complete and healthy season would be impossible for me to disregard. Crosby has missed time with injury issues but I don't consider him soft or injury prone, he's just been a victim of bad luck. Crosby is a better player, is on a deeper team with a better supporting cast, and I simply would not have been able to let him go. But as I said, time will tell.

Regarding blog two and the issues of goalies, I think some people in this pool overstate the importance of goaltenders. I guess it is hard to argue results, and IC won last season largely due to stockpiling goalies. Don't forget, though, that last season was an anomaly at 48 games; I'm not sure such a strategy holds up over 80+ games. And truth be told, IC had a pretty solid team over and above the crease.

As I see it, person A can grab a high profile goalie in the first round, while person B can grab quality but less obvious goalies in the later rounds. And person B has just as good a shot at winning GAA and SV% as person A. Shutouts are highly dictated by luck, so I'm not sure person A has the advantage there either. Sure, he will likely win the goalie win category, but that's 1/11. Personally I'd rather focus on depth at the seven offensive categories, take my chances with 3/4 goalie categories, and concede 1 category. Then again, as I said above, it remains to be seen. But there's absolutely no way I'd be selecting a goalie in the early rounds.

The reason Crosby is almost always taken first overall is because he gives you the production value of two players if he's healthy. Stamkos doesn't. He gives you the most goals in the league (next to Ovechkin), but production-wise you are only getting one player, albeit a star one.

Regarding the first blog and the whole notion of picking Stamkos over Crosby, I cannot necessarily disagree with your choice as Stamkos is an excellent player who will almost certainly do well for you. But I would not be able to take a pass on Crosby for anyone. For me, Crosby is the best player in the league and the potential for what he can do over a complete and healthy season would be impossible for me to disregard. Crosby has missed time with injury issues but I don't consider him soft or injury prone, he's just been a victim of bad luck. Crosby is a better player, is on a deeper team with a better supporting cast, and I simply would not have been able to let him go. But as I said, time will tell.

This is why sports are fun, especially when you add in the fantasy element: your arguments for why you'd take Crosby are just the optimistic spin as opposed to my pessimistic spin.

For drafting purposes, I have two two main rules I follow. In the early rounds, I want to minimize risk. High draft picks lose more leagues than they win because of injury, bad performance, etc. That's where I shoot for stability.

In later rounds, I target upside, like with Vladimir Tarasenko last season. He had a good season in the KHL and had looked good in camp, so I took a flier on him and he was towards the top of the league until he got injured. Those late round picks and how you manage the waiver wire are where leagues are won, in my opinion.

So, back to Crosby. I don't disagree one bit about the luck or his talent, but I wasn't willing to accept the risk in drafting him. I know that Stamkos could go down for the season tomorrow and Crosby could play all 82, but based on the information available, I saw my best bet as drafting the way I did.

Regarding blog two and the issues of goalies, I think some people in this pool overstate the importance of goaltenders. I guess it is hard to argue results, and IC won last season largely due to stockpiling goalies. Don't forget, though, that last season was an anomaly at 48 games; I'm not sure such a strategy holds up over 80+ games. And truth be told, IC had a pretty solid team over and above the crease.

As I see it, person A can grab a high profile goalie in the first round, while person B can grab quality but less obvious goalies in the later rounds. And person B has just as good a shot at winning GAA and SV% as person A. Shutouts are highly dictated by luck, so I'm not sure person A has the advantage there either. Sure, he will likely win the goalie win category, but that's 1/11. Personally I'd rather focus on depth at the seven offensive categories, take my chances with 3/4 goalie categories, and concede 1 category. Then again, as I said above, it remains to be seen. But there's absolutely no way I'd be selecting a goalie in the early rounds.

I don't think your strategy is bad here, but I think you are over-correcting. I do think goalies were a bit overvalued this year, which I'm sure IC's success last year helped to drive, but goaltending performance is much less susceptible to small sample size fluctuations. For all of the offensive stats, besides +/-, it's simple addition that decides who wins. If all of my players go on a cold streak and stop scoring goals, I cannot win Goals or Game Winning Goals. Wins and Shoutouts for goalies work the same, but Save% and GAA are the averages of them as a group. If I have multiple high quality goaltenders, I can survive one of them having a crappy game because the averages can easily swing back down if another goalie has a good game.

So Thriller jumps out to the early lead in this year's WZHL. And all of this with Steven Stamkos as the cornerstone of his team.

Just imagine where he would be had he not elected to take a pass on Sidney Crosby!

:)

So Thriller jumps out to the early lead in this year's WZHL. And all of this with Steven Stamkos as the cornerstone of his team.

Just imagine where he would be had he not elected to take a pass on Sidney Crosby!

:)

That's referenced in a blog post I'm working on right now.

I was feeling good about my team going into the season, but I wasn't feeling this good. Especially since it was 7-3 the last time I checked yesterday.

I am really torn on my defensive situation. Granted the season is still early, the production of some is causing me to question their place on my roster. Problem is 2 of the 3 FA I am looking at will stack my roster with players on the same team -moreso than it is now.

I just cant have 2 D on the same team or 3 F\D players in the same jersey. It will force me to leave someone good on the bench and I am already having issues with the roster in regards to that.

Why cant Carlson and Hamhuis just be better at their jobs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back