• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Money in the Bank 2012: CM Punk (c) VS Daniel Bryan [WWE Championship]

Diet Soda

Mustang Sally <3
20120622_ARTICLE_MITB_punk_bryan_C.jpg

CM Punk will put his WWE Championship on the line at Money in the Bank in what’s sure to be another thrilling technical match against Daniel Bryan.

Vickie Guerrero, the interim General Manager of Raw and SmackDown, announced the WWE Championship Match on Twitter during the June 25 Raw SuperShow on her account @ExcuseMeWWE. She tweeted:
I’ve just confirmed with the WWE Board that at #MoneyInTheBank, @CMPunk will defend the WWE Championship against @WWEDanielBryan.

These two rivals clashed in May at WWE Over the Limit in a match that won’t soon be forgotten. Showcasing their bitter rivalry and proficient technical abilities, this intensely physical bout ended in controversy, as Punk pinned Bryan while nearly simultaneously tapping out. The Straight Edge Savior won the battle and retained his title.

More recently at No Way Out, Punk’s WWE Title was on the line again in a Triple Threat Match against Bryan and Kane. Thanks to interference by AJ, Punk hit the Go to Sleep on The Big Red Monster, allowing The Second City Saint to retain the WWE Championship.

The ever-increasingly unstable AJ has made her presence known around Punk, Bryan and Kane, whether she’s giving good luck kisses or wearing miniature versions of her latest flame’s gear. Punk and Bryan must wonder how the Geek Goddess will factor into their latest bout.

Will Punk continue his lengthy title reign when he faces his longtime rival, Bryan, at Money in the Bank? Will it be another close call or will AJ interfere again? If the Diva does get involved, will she take Punk’s side again or that of her ex-boyfriend, Bryan?

So for the third time in as many pay-per-views, Daniel Bryan is in the WWE Championship match. However, as the old adage states, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. We know that these two are capable of putting on entertaining wrestling matches even without any added gimmick or stipulation. The addition of A.J. in the storyline serves to make the storyline even more compelling.

Yet, I hope this is the blow-off for the feud. Though I have no doubt that Punk and Bryan will meet again, it's time to start thinking ahead towards Summerslam. The rumour mill is naturally churning out at full capacity, with the expectation that Punk will retain here and defend against Cena - who will no doubt win the Money in the Bank ladder match - in August, reigniting their feud from 12 months ago.

However, I would much rather see Bryan take the title here, and go on to face Cena at Summerslam. The way I see it is this: Punk's status is now solidified. You can call him a "mid-card champion" all you want, but he's had a damn good 8 months with the strap. Of course, he's not going to be the brightest star in the sky when he's still playing second fiddle to Cena on the cards, but that isn't Punk's fault - no one could be bigger than Cena right now, no matter how hard they were pushed.

But if Punk were to lose the title now, he wouldn't lose that status he's built over the past year. Punk could easily flit in and out of the title scene and still be credible. Bryan, in my eyes, is on the cusp of attaining the same status, but needs a run with the top title, and a feud with the top star, to boost him there.

This match will cement the fact that Money in the Bank is Punk's PPV. He had a Match of the Year candidate with Cena last year and this match should be the end of the Punk/Bryan feud and it will be worth every penny. As I'm reading it's Punk/Cena @ Summerslam, Punk wins here....Cena wins $$$ in the Bank (which I despise this idea) and there's your Co-Main Event @ Summerslam with Brock/Hunter.

I just hope this match is last on the card, they deserve that much in my opinion.

It seems set up for Punk to retain but it depends on what they do with AJ.

Considering this is the last PPV before SummerSlam and the WWE wants Cena in the title picture, I don't see how Punk loses.

And wooooo I hate to break it to you, but I highly doubt they will want to pass up the opportunity to have Cena in the last match of the night, even if it is a ladder match. I won't be surprised to see Punk/Bryan be the match right before RAW's MITB match.

They're going to push the shit out of that ladder match.

I have no interest in seeing CM Punk and Daniel Bryan go at it again but what will probably happen is CM Punk willl win but John Cena will NOT win MITB. That won't matter for SummerSlam because they will just have Cena win a #1 contender match to earn the right to face CM Punk. The MITB winner will be an established heel and they won't need to be in the title match because they will want to 'wait and swoop in' at the right time to win the title... but they won't do it at SummerSlam, they'll wait until later.

I'm glad we are getting this match again but I'm kinda disappointed that it isn't a gimmick match. Submission , 30 Minute Iron Man or even a Ultimate Submission match would of been awesome to end their feud (if the cena / punk at Summerslam rumours are true.)

There is still plenty of weeks left to add a gimmick but if it is a normal match, it will still be awesome.

My prediction is Punk but I'm kinda worried about what will happen to d Bryan at Summerslam.

I agree this should be the last match.

Also unless Creative has plans for them to have a singles match w/an epic stipulation at Summerslam, LET THEM GO ALL OUT!!!!

Everyone wants to see it, Eyerone knows they can do it, Let them tear the house down!

I would this actually gets to go on last, but I'm not holding my breath.

I also have a nasty feeling Punk will win clean, that will be the en of Bryan's feud with him, and he'll just move on to lose the belt to Cena next month.

That would such a godawful use of all three men that it's probably exactly what WWE have planned. Bryan needs the belt, to elevate himself, and Punk too benefits from it. Cena no longer benefits from the belt, he doesn't need it and it does nothing for ratings if Cena is champion or not.

I was hoping this feud would end in an ironman match, but if this is going to be the end of the feud let them go all out and tear the house down. I have enjoyed this feud greatly, and I think Punk will win this one and take the title to Summerslam. The wildcard is what factor Aj will be in this match, and if she does have a big effect I will bet it will be helping Daniel Bryan win. Just keep thinking all of this Aj stuff will be her trying to make Wrestlemania up to Bryan. MITB is one of the PPV that I buy and I am greatly looking forward to this match.

I could really see it going either way. I'd definitely say it's much more likely that CM Punk will win and that is my official pick. Winning this and reigniting his feud with Cena would really cement him in the main event. He's doing great, but you have to admit another win against Cena (because I believe in a 1v1 at SS Punk would win) would really put him over that much more.

However, I'd think it would be kind of cool if Bryan won, Cena won MITB and there was a triple threat at SS. Yeah, it might come off as convoluted, and it might mean Bryan only holds the belt for a month, but it would be a huge match. All 3 men are the biggest in the company right now. After that, Punk and Cena could still continue their feud while Bryan eventually moves on. It's not likely because it leaves a lot of gaps, but it could be fun for awhile.

Let it be a anything goes,falls count anywhere ironman match.The cena vs orton was an epic one.If this gets the same treatment,this two can tear the house down,probably a 5 star match.It should be the blow off for now,we can restart next year.

I say CM Punk is winning this one. He will win this then we'll all look forward to Punk vs. Cena III. I hope he beats Cena in their next match, that would put him over big time. Cena may cash in his MITB, which I see him winning.

It would be pretty cool if Bryan won, since this may be his last chance to fight for the title while CM Punk holds it. Then maybe we would get Bryan vs Cena, but I don't see that happening for a while, we'll get to see Bryan vs Cena but just not this early.

So the bottom line is CM Punk winning this match.

Daniel Bryan will lose, but he'll find away to weasel himself into the SS match, thus making it a 3-Way Dance. DB will finally win at SS.

But the be honest, this match should be a 3 stages of hell. What better way to bring the concept back with these 2 young stars? They can do it, but we need to have it be like this.

Falls count anywhere, submission, and cage.

Or an Ironman match. 60 minutes of back and forth action between these two is money in the bank. PUN INTENDED!

20120628_LIGHT_MITB_punk_bryan_AJ_C.jpg

If she were an ice cream bar, she'd be nut flavoured. Yes, that's right, everyone's favourite deranged diva will be the special guest referee in this match.

This is interesting since it provides the capacity for a screwy finish to the match, when it was hitherto assumed (by me anyway) that this would be the blow-off to the Punk-Bryan feud.

What do we think? Can AJ remain impartial or will her loopy ways interfere in the finish?
Will both AJ and D-Bry gleefully skip out of the ring together with the WWE Championship?
Or will she help Punk extend his already long and successful reign?

How many times are they gonna do CM Punk vs Daniel Bryan only to have a bullshit screwjob finish. Can't they have a clean match and end this fued already ? This fued has made me lose interest.

As for the topic, I think CM Punk will keep the WWE title till Summerslam hence CM Punk will retain.

I'm very excited for this match, even if we've see it before. The storyline between AJ/Punk/Bryan has been spectacular and the match is bound to be great, if not the match of the night. The most intriguing part about the match will be AJ's involvement, though. We all know she'll be the special guest referee, as such the result hinges on whoever she decides to side with. At this stage, I'm not sure if it'll be Punk or Bryan -- either way, it'll create an interesting dynamic between them all and I'm sure it'll only add to the overall atmosphere of the match.

Right now seems like the perfect time to take the title off of CM Punk and let Daniel Bryan has a run with it. At the same time, I can just as easily see CM Punk retaining and going into a feud with John Cena. I'm going to go with my guy and pick Daniel Bryan to win, though. The reaction he has been getting since WrestleMania has been absolutely ridiculous and he seems bound to FINALLY take that belt off of CM Punk. Plus, this doesn't ruin a potential plan to see Punk face Cena at SummerSlam, as that match doesn't need to be over the title anyway -- it's more about solidifying Punk (if you want to call it that) as the number two man in the WWE. For the WWE, this match is a potential chance to bring Daniel Bryan up to a level nearly equal to that of CM Punk and John Cena, especially if he leaves as the new WWE Champion. All signs lead to Bryan winning, so I'm going to count on it.

I see it as fairly unlikely D-Bryan wins this match.

CM Punk vs John Cena for no title at SummerSlam is not very compelling and I'm SURE that's what WWE is gearing up for. Therefore CM Punk has to retain. Or, if Daniel Bryan wins CM Punk has to win it back soon after so CM Punk vs Cena can be set up for SS.

With AJ in the mix it could work if she screws them both over or one guy or the other.

Funny thing is, I don't really care who AJ ends up siding with (assuming she really ends up siding with either of them) all I know is, right now, CM Punk vs John Cena for the WWE Title as SummerSlam is the best possible match they could use to promote that PPV.

Here's a question for you guys...

What are the odds that this match is used as the main event for MITB? As we all know, Cena has pre-empted anything involving the WWE Title despite not being involved in the title picture. Recently on WWE.com, CM Punk VS D-Bryan was moved to the top of the listed match previews; up from 2nd behind the WWE Title MITB Ladder match. Could it be that the powers that be are finally showing Punk some respect?

What say you all?

Entirely agast at what could happen here....

Cena Vs Punk is said to be the plan for SummerSlam, and the program was pretty obviously started on Monday night.

but every old wrestling trick in the book here says that AJ goes back with Bryan, stealing the title from Punk.

Prehaps a Cena breifcase cash-in, directly after the match, so that he may defeat Bryan, and give Punk a title shot, out of respect for Punk?

Hmmm.

The other two matches were phenominal, I expect no less from this endeavor.

Anytime this match happens, I don't see how it's a bad idea, unless I can't watch it.

Should be a classic. Punk and Bryan are smart and haven't blown their wad in their feud yet. This would be a great time to do it (if it's their blowoff).

I think it'd be cool if AJ helps Bryan win and it's been a plot all along and her way of showing him her dedication after causing him to lose at Mania. Plus Cena vs Bryan at SummerSlam could be epic.

I remember back when DB was dominating ROH and Cena was dominating WWE, a dream match of mine was DB vs Cena. DB is REALLY the ultimate indy guy. Punk's equally strong on the mic and in the ring and honestly, has always been much more WWE friendly, people thought he'd make it. NOBODY thought Daniel Bryan would. DB vs Cena? Holy shit.

Probably won't happen though because Punk is more over and the rematch thing is a big seller. Could get the best of both worlds. Punk vs DB at Summerslam, Cena cashes in after.

Lots of possible outcomes and I'm excited for the whole thing.

Also, who gives a shit which match goes on last? Cena is still the most over guy, that's why he's been on last. Don't like it? Stop being so loud booing him at shows.

All signs seem to point toward Daniel Bryan walking away with the title but the same can be said for No Way Out. I would love to see Bryan walk out as WWE Champion and then face John Cena at SummerSlam.

You have Cena cash in his title shot after winning MiTB but you have him give warning about it (aka RVD style).

This match should be very entertaining and I've been impressed by what Punk and Bryan have put out in the last couple of months. Bryan has worked very hard to get to the main event and I think a win here makes him a top level main eventer for the foreseeable future.

It's a heel vs. face match with a female involved and the biggest title in professional wrestling. History alone points to Bryan walking away with the win as the heel usually gets the victory in situations like this. I hope that history repeats itself here.

Bryan goes over CM Punk with help from AJ which gives us a match with Cena at SummerSlam.

Truth be told I believe CM Punk will win this but it won't matter because Kane is walking out the WWE champion in my opinion. AJ will end up screwing CM Punk but not for bryan but for Kane, thus AJ left raw with her future Husband.

I was just thinking about this... Do you thing AJ is involved in the current WWE title match between Daniel Bryan and CM Punk because WWE feels these two guys are not interesting enough to carry a storyline and sell PPV's on their own? This is not a knock on Bryan or Punk at all. I like both guys very much and think their in ring chemistry is the best in WWE right now, that's probably a testament to their time in ROH together, but anyway...

Real wrestling fans can appreciate these two guys putting on a wrestling clinic. At the Over The Limit PPV, they put on a great match that ended well. The end of the match was controversial because Punk tapped out after the ref counted Bryan's shoulders down. It was the perfect set-up for a rematch (submission, ironman etc...) but WWE never followed through. They put Kane into the mix and AJ as well. I think the rivalry would have been good enough just putting Bryan vs. Punk...period!

I look at these two guys as the new Bret and Shawn of this generation. They don't actually fit the mold of what a Vince McMahon champion looks like but they make up for it with great charisma and a second to none work ethic. This rivalry would have been the perfect balance to the current dynamic in WWE now with everthing they offer fans: funky dinosaurs, Santino's comedy, Little Jimmy and so forth. This is not a knock on any of that stuff either, I happen to enjoy it, but WWE at it's core is a WRESTLING company. I think most fans can appreciate tuning in and seeing a five star match between two guys like Punk and Bryan without Kane or AJ or anyone else for that matter.

I think WWE added this AJ storyline to the picture because they feel Punk and Bryan are not interesting by theirselves. I have to admit that the story is becoming interesting week by week, but sometimes the best told story are the ones that tell themselves...in the ring one on one. Right now no one does that better than Punk and Bryan!

I'm an old school guy, I feel the WWE title should be held with more prestige and not be overshadowed by a love triangle storyline. WWE didn't need to add AJ to the plot. I understand WWE is a buisness, so they have to sell PPV's....but why at these two great athletes expense?

What are your feelings on this upcoming match? Would you appreciate it more with or without AJ?

This has been the angle of the year in my view, it's developed in an entertaining and natural way from week to week and gotten more and more over to the point I feel this Sunday will be the blow-off. The only shame is we never got a submission match.

Given the Punk/Cena "leader" segment last week and Eve's put down of Punk this week, I think Punk wins at MITB and goes on to face either Cena or The Rock at Summerslam.

If WWE is truly trying to create new superstars and main eventers and cement wrestlers' status, they'll have Bryan win and Cena wins the MITB, only for him to cash in at SS and be the first to lose his title match. Cena won't be hurt by it, and if Bryan wins clean, he'd be firmly planted in the top 3 of the company, in the fans' eyes. Cena and Bryan can go on to have what I believe would be a great feud that lasts until November or so, with Bryan coming out on top, and maybe Punk can be briefly taken out of the title picture and be given a SCSA-type tweener role, maybe feuding against whoever will be the new GM or something else that can keep him entertaining and relevant, but without the title being at stake....maybe let Punk close out a lot of Raws and building him up to be the next 'Top Guy'. Give Bryan a nice 5 -7 month reign with the belt as the same heel he's been playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back