• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Over the Limit 2012: CM Punk (c) VS Daniel Bryan [WWE Championship]

lenguy

First Immortality..Then the Bitches
So it was made official in the beat the clock contest tonight that after Daniel Bryan made Jerry Lawler tap,he would face CM Punk for the WWE title at Over the Limit.

I for one did not expect this as I thought we would see Punk face Jericho again and see Bryan and Sheamus for a third time. That being said I'm ecstatic that they decided to go with this match. Bryan and Punk are very familiar with one another and this should make for a very smooth,technical and exciting match.

These two easily bring out the best in each other when working together and manage to put on amazing matches. So now that they are headlining a PPV together in a WWE championship match, I hope this is that start of a long feud. Well,because like I said,they work very well off each other and a rivalry with these could could easily be very entertaining.

Should be a phenomenal match and will probably be the match of the night. What say you? Sound off with all discussions below and add any input you feel.

I was pleasantly surprised they went this route to. Since their TV matches I had wanted to see them on a bigger stage. Not that Over The Limit is a top ppv, but it is ppv none the less. They will be given more time than on regular tv, and could easily be the match of 2012 so far. Could be a preview of a Wrestlemania main event someday.

Very excited about this match. Punk and Bryan make for an interesting change in the title picture, not to mention that they've already had some great matches this year -- the two matches they had on Raw and Smackdown were some of the better TV matches I've seen in a while. I didn't think WWE would want to pull the trigger in this feud just yet, but it'll be a whole lot of fun for the fans. Bryan and Punk have some serious chemistry and they can put on a match of the year contending contest, if they're given the proper time to really go out there and give it everything they have. I'm expecting this to be the best match on the card, at the very least.

CM Punk is in the midst of a great reign as champion, so I don't think Daniel Bryan wins this match-up. Although, I don't think this is the last we'll see of these two together. WWE seems to have noticed the crowd getting behind Bryan, as this is a feud that will mostly take place on Raw and is for the WWE Championship -- this is a step up from what he was doing with Sheamus, even. Look for Punk to retain in what should be a great match, but it'll probably only being laying down the seeds for a potential rematch at Money in the Bank, I suppose. Don't be shocked if Bryan walks away with the championship, though. It's possible.

A wrestling fans wet dream of a match. :D

Their TV matches have been good with no result, now they get a chance to take it to the PPV stage and I can see the WWE giving them a lot of time to put on the kind of match you don't see that often in WWE.

Their in ring chemistry is off the charts and I expect this to not only easily steal the show but potentially put itself in the MOTY contenders list. I hope it's not just a one off match and they are starting a program between the two, but even if it is we are in for a hell of a wrestling match at Over The Limit.

this is a great match that i would love to see. the TV matches that they had were entertaining and well wrestled and a ppv match for the WWE title should be another great match. in my book, this should main event the show as i feel it will be a very well wrestled match. when i first heard of this, my first thought was Jericho will win it and lose a 3rd time, but this is a good surprise as i think these two can and have the potential to put on a 5 star match.

To step away from the ring & speak more on the business side, I think this is a test of Punk's ability to last as a face. I think a lot of the people who cheer for Punk, cheer for Bryan as well, and they want to see if the face can truly have the fans on his side.

On the other hand, no one's hotter than Daniel Bryan right now. I think the machine chose to upgrade his program to the WWE Championship to see if the fans will truly support him while going up against one of the top 2 faces in the company. If he can put on a good program, maybe they decide to bring him back to face side & act like AJ never happened

Back to wrestling, this will be fun. I love when guys have wrestled each other for over a decade. That means they'll really get to take it to each other, physically & verbally. Can't wait for the sparring to begin!

i LOVED this move by wwe to make Daniel Bryan the new #1 contender to the WWE Title it was very unexpected and the end result will be amazing i wonder if jericho will enter a new fued or just fade off into the new fozzy tour now but back on topic i hope this fued goes a long time these two work very well together and i expect punk to retain at over the limit but i see this fued going for a few monthes

As someone has already said, the most interesting thing about this one will be the reaction of the fans. Bryan has got extremely over since Wrestlemania and isn't getting anything like the heel reaction WWE want him to get. While in theory its Heel v Face, for the most vocal section of the crowd (16-30 year old males) it's Face v Face.

I could see the powers that be monitoring the face pops of both guys in the weeks leading up to OTL to see who is getting the bigger reaction and that may decide who walks away with the belt. It'd be a suprise to see Bryan take it off Punk given the long WHC title run he's just had but if he keeps getting face pops like he is doing at the moment, I could see it happenning.

Needless to say that from a fanboy point of view I'm extremely excited about this match. Potential 5 star fare if it goes the distance.

the only thing that bothers me is how can Byran (a smackdown wrestler) be a contender for the WWE championship (which is Raw's belt)? Bryan was just the number 1 contender for the world heavyweight belt on smackdown, he's on the smackdown roster, and now he's just all of a sudden in a feud for the belt on raw? I guess the brands dont matter anymore. I know they have the supershows lately with people from both brands on it, but they almost always keep the belts on their respective shows as well as the people feuding for them. If that's the case, then have Miz or Dolph randomly go over to smackdown to take Bryan's place and have them feud with Sheamus for the WHC, since neither of them are doing much of anything right now. So since Bryan is a smackdown superstar, if he wins does that mean Smackdown has both heavyweight belts and raw has none? Or what will be done about this? You never see raw people fight for the IC belt or smackdown people fight for the US belt. I just wish they kept the brands separate or got rid of them altogether, none of this halfway BS.

I don't care if it's the secondary main event at a B PPV, it's CM Punk versus Daniel Bryan for the WWE title.

It's going to be magnificent.

This might be an over-statement but, Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are the modern day HBK and Bret Hart. They are both smaller guys with good chemistry between them as is evident by their matches in ROH and earlier this year on RAW and Smackdown. I like this match-up and hope it leads to more matches in the future. It's time to put WRESTLING first again and stop highlighting outside celebrities (LESNAR, Rock, and the girl from the divas match at 'mania, sorry I don't recall her name...) Do I think Punk and Bryan are two gifted athletes?...YES! Do I think this match has Match Of The Year written all over it? YES! Do I think these two are "THE BEST IN THE WORLD"? YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

This should have been the "Best in the World" storyline, not Jericho. I understand Jericho used to say "I am the best in the world at everything I do," but they could've saved that for Punk/Bryan and play off Bryan coming up with that when they were both in ROH together. Then again, WWE officials probably didn't think they'd pull the trigger on this feud so soon given Bryan's unexpected rise in popularity.

Off topic, did anyone else notice Bryan doing the "I have 'til 5" thing during the 2/3 Falls Match at Extreme Rules? I was wondering if he was going to bring that to the WWE, but that's the first time I've noticed it. Has he done it during a WWE match before?

1) Daniel Bryan wins the WWE Championship at Over the Limit thanks to help from AJ. Punk wants a match with no outside interference so their rematch for the title will be at No Way Out in a cage match, fitting the show's theme.

2) Daniel Bryan loses the match at Over the Limit thanks to AJ, yells at AJ that it was her fault again, requests a rematch in a cage match at No Way Out fitting the show's theme.

I know it's not really calling it when you call multiple scenarios. But damn it, I just want to be right!

I do have to admit, though, one thing that's kinda bittersweet about this is that Daniel Bryan had to beat Jerry Lawler to get number 1 contendership. Jerry Lawler?! And don't give me that, "Jerry's a legend, 149x World Champ blah blah blah."

WWE will do anything to keep the indy men down.

Obviously, though, I can't really say that completely truthfully. 'Cause if it were as true as I think it is, Punk and Bryan wouldn't be having this match. We still have 3 more weeks, though.

Aside for the fact that this match sorta came out of the blue (a part of me was actually expecting yet another Punk/Jericho match), I'm very excited for this match. If their past encounters are any indication of what is to come then expect a wrestling clinic. You've got two of the WWE's best technical wrestlers going at it so you have to expect magic here. I do wonder if this means that Daniel Bryan is now on the Raw roster or something. I mean, I get that the brand lines pretty much are non-existent now that Raw is a supershow but I do wonder what Bryan's Smackdown future will hold. Other than that, I'm totally stoked for this match. Should be great.

This should have been the "Best in the World" storyline, not Jericho. I understand Jericho used to say "I am the best in the world at everything I do," but they could've saved that for Punk/Bryan and play off Bryan coming up with that when they were both in ROH together. Then again, WWE officials probably didn't think they'd pull the trigger on this feud so soon given Bryan's unexpected rise in popularity.

Off topic, did anyone else notice Bryan doing the "I have 'til 5" thing during the 2/3 Falls Match at Extreme Rules? I was wondering if he was going to bring that to the WWE, but that's the first time I've noticed it. Has he done it during a WWE match before?
Let me get this straight. Instead of playing off of Jericho calling himself the best, on a TV show probably 90% of your current audience watched, you wanted to save the feud and base it on something maybe 5% of the audience watched.......BRILLIANT!!!!

This is going to be an awesome match. Their other matches were fantastic and both are even more over and even better at their characters than before. The most interesting thing to me is that both guys sort of have the same fan base. I wonder if their fan groups will cannibalize each other. You know, get split so the reaction isn't as loud as it could be.

Maybe not though, both guys seem to appeal to the masses in general at this point. I just hope it's a longer feud than 1 PPV because these guys can really do something special.

1) Daniel Bryan wins the WWE Championship at Over the Limit thanks to help from AJ. Punk wants a match with no outside interference so their rematch for the title will be at No Way Out in a cage match, fitting the show's theme.

2) Daniel Bryan loses the match at Over the Limit thanks to AJ, yells at AJ that it was her fault again, requests a rematch in a cage match at No Way Out fitting the show's theme.

I know it's not really calling it when you call multiple scenarios. But damn it, I just want to be right!

I do have to admit, though, one thing that's kinda bittersweet about this is that Daniel Bryan had to beat Jerry Lawler to get number 1 contendership. Jerry Lawler?! And don't give me that, "Jerry's a legend, 149x World Champ blah blah blah."

WWE will do anything to keep the indy men down.

Obviously, though, I can't really say that completely truthfully. 'Cause if it were as true as I think it is, Punk and Bryan wouldn't be having this match. We still have 3 more weeks, though.
I don't think you understand how wrestling works. WWE doesn't want ANYONE on their roster to be held down because that means less money.

Second, no shit the cowardly heel gets the easiest draw HE'S A COWARDLY HEEL. What? He should have beaten kane in 2 seconds? Jesus Christ dude you sound like a mark.

You are right at the end to correct yourself (sort of, you should have went back and deleted that mark-emotion driven spat of nonsense). The WWE pushes guys who are over. Doesn't matter if they're indy, big, small, italian, a dinosaur, an all american good guy, or a huge scary bastard, if you are over, you get pushed.

Let me get this straight. Instead of playing off of Jericho calling himself the best, on a TV show probably 90% of your current audience watched, you wanted to save the feud and base it on something maybe 5% of the audience watched.......BRILLIANT!!!!

Forgive me for having an opinion. How very wrong of me. I was merely saying that I think it would have been cool for the WWE to acknowledge their roots and make it so that "90%" of the audience is aware that this has been a feud 10 years in the making. I don't think it's that far-fetched given what other storylines the WWE conjures up these days. You don't think that would've made for good TV?

Keep in mind that I did enjoy the Punk/Jericho feud, but at times I felt the backstory had one too many holes in the logic.

edit - Also, I wouldn't be too quick to say "WWE doesn't want ANYONE on their roster held down because that means less money." Sometimes there simply aren't enough spots. There are people in the doghouse that WWE purposely holds down. You think when HHH was in the doghouse back in '96 it lost the WWE money? It's a little tough to analyze the financial implications of holding back talent due to various circumstances. Perhaps you were referring to something else, but just my two cents.

Although I didn't expect this I'm am damn happy it happened.

I was worried that after Sheamus vanquished Bryan he would be doing nothing for a while and I'm happy that didn't happen and his momentum got killed. Frankly Daniel Bryan is probably the hottest heel in the WWE currently (outside of Lesnar and maybe Laurinaitis) and considering his 18 second loss at WM didn't slow him down one bit I think its fair to say I have high hopes for Daniel Bryan as a heel for a long time to come.

He knows how to get heel heat and most certainly knows how to get a reaction from the crowd. His match at Extreme Rules was the best match of the night IMO (and Extreme Rules had some great matches) and overall he has been a blast to watch since becoming heel. Daniel Bryan becoming heel is the best thing that has happened to him by far.

A note to WWE:

Please keep Daniel Bryan in the main event picture. Heels like Daniel Bryan don't come around often so keep the momentum going and keep him relevant.

I am as excited about this match as i have been for anything the wwe has produced for a while. This is a sign to me that the wwe is going in the right direction, and based on the relatively short time before the ppv i cant see many other feuds going into over the limit, so they should get plenty of time to work. This will surely be the match of the year, unless they wrestle for the title again(here's hoping!)

If this gets the main event slot (hoping it does over Cena/Johnny), it may be Vince & Co.'s way of testing the waters of a main event scene with John Cena. If Cena is still scheduled to take a vacation to heal some nagging injuries, this could be a test for Punk to be the flagbearer in Cena's absence, and to give Bryan more of a chance as a top player in a feud on the A show. I'm hoping this plays the role of Angle/Benoit from RR '03 and blows everyone's minds.

This would have meant so much more if it had been the first or even the second match they had been in one on one in the E.

Smark fans I don't think will enjoy it as much as they think they will.

I reckon the internet fans will moan at the E for not using them right in the match and say the contest isn't anywhere near as good as their ROH classics.

I don't think you understand how wrestling works. WWE doesn't want ANYONE on their roster to be held down because that means less money.

Second, no shit the cowardly heel gets the easiest draw HE'S A COWARDLY HEEL. What? He should have beaten kane in 2 seconds? Jesus Christ dude you sound like a mark.

You are right at the end to correct yourself (sort of, you should have went back and deleted that mark-emotion driven spat of nonsense). The WWE pushes guys who are over. Doesn't matter if they're indy, big, small, italian, a dinosaur, an all american good guy, or a huge scary bastard, if you are over, you get pushed.

Yeah, it's true. you get over, you get pushed (unless you're Zack Ryder and you lose your US title shortly after never defending it). The thing is, though, and I know, he's a legend, Memphis bullshit blah blah blah. But he fucking beat Lawler for number 1 contendership. Who the fuck is gonna be impressed? Old guys who watched him when they were younger? Little kids? Hell no not little kids 'cause little kids only know him as the fat guy from commentating who doesn't dress for the part. Not only that but since Lawler's finishing move is banned (yes, he attempted it, but it didn't go through), his finishing move is a fucking punch from the second rope. Who the fuck is impressed by that???

So yeah, WWE is pushing Bryan but since he got over on his own, WWE will push him but they won't make him look the strongest. Hence the cowardly heel character 'cause, you know, there's no other way to be a heel.

I just believe that WWE has it out for indy wrestlers and core fans. They want THEIR homegrown talent to look the best and the strongest. Not guys who didn't work their way up through WWE's system. It's like Punk says, something along the lines of "If you love wrestling, you're punished."

I been doing some thinking and I know that Bryan and Punk have had many matches in the past. The two have good chemistry in the ring and their past matches were great. My question for you guys is....do u guys think Punk and Bryan fued could be as good as Beniot and Jericho fued 12 years ago?

I for one think that the two will put on one hell of a fued. I do see these two possibly battling in an Ultimate submission, ladder, 2 out of 3 falls/submissions, and best of 5 or 7 series. Countless of matches that could make Punk/bryan fued good.

i think this match will be ruined by a stupid finish but still a great match....and um to everybody saying this will be match of the year u need to stop dreaming and being a roh fanboy cuz no way in hell will this beat the HIAC from mania Punk and Bryan shouldnt even be allowed to share a locker room with Taker HHH and HBK

Reactions: TLK

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back